Halo 3: ODST

Halo 3: ODST Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#61 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

That's the word on the street. No one knows for sure, but obviously this ancillary evidence supports the concept of a squad-based game being dropped into a city in peril, the AI metropolitan coordinator awry. Before this game was supposed to be announced, back at E3, a lot of people in the press (here and here, for example) were calling it out a certain way.

Of course, the notion is that this game will be an ODST-centric, third person, squad-based shooter similar to GRAW or Gears of War. It'll be a far darker and more serious take on the Halo universe as opposed to the trilogy's cartoonish portrayal. The game seems to rely heavily on cooperative play (possibly up to 8 players) in urban combat and is set during the war against the Covenant, who may or may not be the source of the superintendent AI coming undone. Everyone is pegging this title as a Fall '09 release, but no one knows for sure.

Watch me be wrong. We got till tomorrow at 10am est to find out.

Sounds about right to me Voc. It ha sto be either ODSTs or possibly Gray Team. The Cole Protocol is due to be released November 28th!

#62 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:31 AM

Trailer

The "Halo 3" at the very end threw me off a bit. Expansion?

EDIT: Yep, just checked the Marketplace. Halerz 3 expansion am confirmed.

Edited by Kinetic, 25 September 2008 - 06:41 AM.

#63 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Marketplace description says "new Halo 3 campaign experience" FTW beat by an edit This is definitely New Mombasa, there are signs all over the video stating so. And it looks like it might be right as the Slipspace event occurs. And there are 16 pods breaking away that the SI zooms in. And then the final one at the end. A date has also been found - 1/06/09

#64 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

Wasn't the space elevator already destroyed before the Slipspace event? Because it seems to be fine in the video (even after the explosion).

#65 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

It's totally ODSTs. Prepare to drop.

#66 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

Wasn't the space elevator already destroyed before the Slipspace event? Because it seems to be fine in the video (even after the explosion).

Yeah, that is a point of mystery. It's possible that the game takes place before the Slipspace event, but it could also be possible that the damage sustained by the tether causes it to fall some time later. Much like how building fires cause buildings to collapse after a period of time, instead of as soon as the fire starts. Heck, the tether falling could be an in-game event.

#67 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, that is a point of mystery. It's possible that the game takes place before the Slipspace event, but it could also be possible that the damage sustained by the tether causes it to fall some time later. Much like how building fires cause buildings to collapse after a period of time, instead of as soon as the fire starts. Heck, the tether falling could be an in-game event.

It could be right when the Prophet first showed up, which I think is right at or near the start of Halo3.
Halo3 intro: We see the ball of fire coming down, and a smaller one which is the fragment MC rides down on. The ball of fire, representing the inexpertly Covenant-piloted Forerunner craft, probably shot down the space elevator on it's way into the atmosphere.
So that could place this new campaign adjacent to what the main Halo3 campaign experiences; basically a riff on Opposing Forces or Blue Shift for Half Life.

#68 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hey guys, I did a frame by frame analysis at Gruntsrus.com

Its here if you want to read it:

gruntsrus.com

#69 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Oops, I forgot that the slipspace event happened in Halo 2. For some reason, I was thinking it happened after Tsavo Highway. My excuse, I had just gotten up... nobody try to figure out what time that post was made, it'd make me look crazy lazy.

I suppose my comment about the tether not being destroyed by the explosion is still a good point. But yeah, cocop's explanation makes sense. I think I agree that the explosion was just the slipspace event.

Edited by UHYVE, 25 September 2008 - 02:58 PM.

#70 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Putting aside all of the discussion about story (you'd be hard pressed to find someone at this forum who cares less), this announcement should give even the most cynical Bungie fans hope --- It's taken them seven years, but they've finally figured out the value of developing a powerful engine and then sticking with it. Leveraging Halo 3's engine for new content (and hopefully, in the future, new IPs) will allow them more creative freedom than ever before. It is awfully costly to keep settling for 3 year development cycles for new IPs when they could be sticking with Halo 3's engine and applying it in new and interesting ways (obviously, this involves expanding the feature set where necessary) while the 360 is still a viable console to develop for. Alexander Seropian knew what he was doing when he licensed Halo 1's engine to make Stubbs at Wideload. Bungie... didn't. So they started over and spent 3 years making a game with outsourced physics and graphics that didn't come close to justifying the man hours, even if they were "better" (as you can tell, I'm still not even convinced of that, since Halo 1's art direction was so much more focused). Also, how is it possible that a stupid little emoticon is so damned charming? Most of the time that I watch the trailer, I just watch his face... what a clever little character Bungie's come up with!

#71 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

My idea is, that this game will explain something about how Master Chief somehow gets back to earth, using slipspace to time travel back to the moment that he left in halo 2. Wonder why though. Slipspace has been known to do that before, halo 1 and 2 for instance take place at the same time, within a few days.

#72 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

My idea is, that this game will explain something about how Master Chief somehow gets back to earth, using slipspace to time travel back to the moment that he left in halo 2. Wonder why though. Slipspace has been known to do that before, halo 1 and 2 for instance take place at the same time, within a few days.

Technically speaking, Halo: Combat Evolved takes place on September 19, 2552, whereas the events of Halo 2 begin on October 20, 2552.

#73 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

Technically speaking, Halo: Combat Evolved takes place on September 19, 2552, whereas the events of Halo 2 begin on October 20, 2552.

Yes, but due to the effects of the travel back to earth which actually took him another month, he came back in time to Reach at the exact same moment, give or take a few hours, as he left.

*Ok if you look at the article on the main page, into the Ashen Wake, you'll see that there was a slipspace portal that opened up and then the HEV pod, singular came through. Not only that, but if you look in the bottom right hand corner of the screen you'll see that the superintendent was tracking john incoming. My guess still stands. Posted Image
page that image came from
Halo 3 expansion trailer take down

Edited by Hobbes, 25 September 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#74 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Anyone have any ideas what the story of the trailer could be?

#75 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Anyone have any ideas what the story of the trailer could be?

I did and I wrote about it. :-)

I'll be honest, I think it should be a foregone conclusion that the Master Chief is not involved in this game. Neither is the Arbiter. And although I think time will play a role, I'm skeptical on the notion of time travel since it's something that Bungie has shied away from within their core fiction - the trilogy.

Gamespot pegged a few things back in July about what this trailer would show because their source knew something. In fact, I believe there source had first hand knowledge of the game. The source claimed the following (paraphrased from the original):
  • It is a "darker, grittier" Halo game that doesn't feature the Master Chief at all.
  • Resembles "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War."
  • It will tell a "less cartoony" and "more bloody, violent, and grim" tale of a battle between UNSC forces and the Covenant.
  • The game's atmosphere was described as similar to Blomkamp's "Halo: Landfall."
  • The game is a tactical shooter that will follow a squad of ODSTs engaged in "intense" fighting on the ground.
  • Gamers can play as a complete squad in co-op mode through the entire campaign.
  • Coop could support up to eight players.
I don't think they could have made a teaser more corroborative of the aforementioned source's depiction of this new Bungie title. That said, I think we can expect just that. An ODST game, possibly a third-person tactical shooter, using the Halo 3 engine but considerably less cheery and vibrant. It'll be coop-centric and that'll be the main draw.

#76 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

I did and I wrote about it. :-)

I'll be honest, I think it should be a foregone conclusion that the Master Chief is not involved in this game. Neither is the Arbiter. And although I think time will play a role, I'm skeptical on the notion of time travel since it's something that Bungie has shied away from within their core fiction - the trilogy.

Gamespot pegged a few things back in July about what this trailer would show because their source knew something. In fact, I believe there source had first hand knowledge of the game. The source claimed the following (paraphrased from the original):

• It is a "darker, grittier" Halo game that doesn't feature the Master Chief at all.
  • Resembles "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War."
  • It will tell a "less cartoony" and "more bloody, violent, and grim" tale of a battle between UNSC forces and the Covenant.
  • The game's atmosphere was described as similar to Blomkamp's "Halo: Landfall."
  • The game is a tactical shooter that will follow a squad of ODSTs engaged in "intense" fighting on the ground.
  • Gamers can play as a complete squad in co-op mode through the entire campaign.
  • Coop could support up to eight players.
I don't think they could have made a teaser more corroborative of the aforementioned source's depiction of this new Bungie title. That said, I think we can expect just that. An ODST game, possibly a third-person tactical shooter, using the Halo 3 engine but considerably less cheery and vibrant. It'll be coop-centric and that'll be the main draw.

Hmm.. I wasn't really a fan of ghost recon, Third person shooting never really appeald to me, so if it's like a Sci-Fi version of Rainbow six.. although it'll kinda suck with the enemy having energy shielding and if you can't pick up their weapons.
I only have one problem with that theory, at the end of the video it says halo 3, and online in the market place it says it is an campaign expansion

Edited by Hobbes, 26 September 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#77 Phoenix

Phoenix
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

I only have one problem with that theory, at the end of the video it says halo 3, and online in the market place it says it is an campaign expansion

"Into The Ashen Wake" did talk about the fact that this will be a halo 3 expansion. it will "likely using the same engine, and possibly some of the same assets, as Halo 3." (Into The Ashen Wake)

i agree with this completely. i believe it will definitely be an expansion weather it is a new disc bought at a store or available in the marketplace or both. it may the old engine, FPS etc maybe with a different HUD weapons etc. i hope it will not be a 3rd person shooter.

as for the fact that you dont have a MJOLNIR suit?
as voc mentioned above; squad based fighting, large co-op etc. a group of highly trained ODSTs could probably take down at least a couple of elites. so i believe this is plausible. i can hope that it will just be like fighting along side marines in halo when you arent playing co-op as i dont like idea of the squad based fighting.

#78 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

Yeah, unfortunately your teammates will probably be dumb as bricks on Legendary or whatever the highest difficulty is. Highly trained troops my arse.

#79 Spartan 90

Spartan 90
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

I think the 3rd person squad based ODST expansion (if that's really what it is) is a good move on bungie's part. They're expanding their library and opening up other story line possibilities. Although Anpheus i think your right about the AI. They'll have to be very careful with it if they're going to have AI squad mates

#80 Hobbes

Hobbes
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

I'm still thinking that this is going to be a halo 3 expansion and not a completely new game as you are all suggesting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3: ODST, Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq