#1 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

So, I picked up Ghosts for the 360 Friday night.  There's a lot to like about this game.

First, killstreaks.

For the first time since CoD4, the sky isn't cluttered with shit raining down on your head.  It takes 7 kills just to get a Sentry Gun or the analog to a Hellfire missile, the Trinity Rocket.  The default 3rd KS reward is "Maniac Armor" at 10.  It makes you a fast-ass juggernaut that can only use knives and has infinite sprint.  Haven't seen many of these running around...

Promethean Vision comes to CoD.  If you use the Recon perk, in addition to tagging enemies on your minimap when you flash/stun them, they are briefly illuminated through walls so you can then perform a quick clear of the room.  There's also something called an "Oracle" that is part of the Support strike package.  Don't know

I love the UAV setup.  They are now SAT-COMs, and one is practically useless.  You need 2 on the field at the same time to get the traditional radar ping.

Next, weapons.

I'll go into what I don't like, but each group has weapons that have a free attachment.  Integrated Sliencers, Armor-Piercing rounds, etc. that don't take up one of your attachment slots.  The downside to this is that "Honey Badgers" (starting AR with a silencer) litter the battlefield...

They've split the lower-power snipers into "Marksman Rifles."  These are still scoped, but can be used mid-range very effectively.  Shotguns are fun.

Perks

There's gotta be at least 30.  They unlock every level early on, then every other level.  You can mix and match anything.  They are the only things that unlock, though.  Can be purchased with squad points, though.

Squads

The most innovative feature is your "Squad."  Rather than have Prestige levels, you have 10 squad members.  Your Squad Points pool.  So, you can earn some cheap squad points by unlocking a new squad member (3 points), level them up to around 4 or 5, get 15 or so SP, then spend those points on your "main" character.

I have named my squad (Dragon) after "Ender's Game" characters.

Extinction - haven't tried.

What I don't like:

I like the idea behind "Squad Points."  These are earned (not sure how) each match, and it's how you unlock guns / attachments.  But it's tough to figure out what to spend it on.  It takes 20 squad points to unlock your 4th custom loadout.  That's freaking expensive.  I finally figured out that I could go into multiplayer, Local Game, and setup a bot game to test out the various weapons.  Wish I had figured this out before level 18...

#2 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sounds like the game isn't total shit this time around, so I'm looking forward to trying it out next week.

I like the way they're doing Prestige. Are the other character just throw-aways or how does that work? Sounds like you could seriously gimp yourself if you spend points from one character on your main, because going back to that character later you'll have nothing unlocked. Or is that the point? Is it possible to unlock everything on one character without using points from other squad members?

Edited by Drew, 11 November 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#3 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

You'd just have to play a lot more matches, earn more squad points.  Still not sure how Squad Points are earned.  In the middle of a match, I'll get a message about "You have earned a Squad Point."  I seem to earn one for each multiplayer match, and earn them faster when doing Squad Assault games.  Those are VERY fun...

#4 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

You'd just have to play a lot more matches, earn more squad points.  Still not sure how Squad Points are earned.  In the middle of a match, I'll get a message about "You have earned a Squad Point."  I seem to earn one for each multiplayer match, and earn them faster when doing Squad Assault games.  Those are VERY fun...

Did a little research. Three ways to earn squad points:

1.) Leveling up gives you a flat two points per level.

2.) Picking up a blue briefcase in multiplayer matches gives you a little in-session challenge ("Kill one person from behind" "Kill someone with a melee attack" etc.) and gives you one point per completed challenge.

3.) Complete weekly assignments. Each additional assignment completed give you one point past the first, for a total of five assignments (and 15 squad points). You can purchase a new set of assignments on completion of the first for 1 squad point.

It seems like completing assignments is definitely going to be the quickest way to earn points.

#5 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

I'm kind of interested in this game now that I've actually paid attention to it.  But the "Squad Points" idea seems really off putting.  

#6 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Not actually that bad. It lets you choose whatever weapons/killstreaks/accessories you want regardless of level. Makes Prestige a lot easier as well, as you can just keep a big pile of them and buy everything you want as soon as you start a new soldier.

#7 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

It sounds a lot more fair than previous iterations.  

It's been known that Ghosts performs poorly on the PS4 and PC.  Since the embargo is lifted, it turns out the Xbox One version runs perfectly.  IW is currently working on a patch to fix the PS4 and PC versions, but I'm starting to wonder what they chose as their target platform.

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#8 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Day one patch for PS4 makes SP 1080p and fixes MP performance issues. ( ≖‿≖)

#9 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

They also mentioned that retail copies will play at 720P without the update.  Considering many reviewers said they couldn't tell the difference between the two resolutions, it's quite possible review copies also only outputted 720P.  I see a couple of other possible scenarios here but that seems most likely.  I'll be interested to see a tech analysis of an unpatched version to see if it runs the same as the review copies.

EDIT: SP only at 720P, MP was still 1080P

Edited by Niterider, 13 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#10 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Day one patch for PS4 makes SP 1080p and fixes MP performance issues. ( ≖‿≖)

Don't you have to wait for DF to confirm with evidence? Oh wait, this regards positive PS4 news; carry on.

#11 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

Don't you have to wait for DF to confirm with evidence? Oh wait, this regards positive PS4 news; carry on.

Considering IW has released patches in the past that don't solve the problem it addressed, it's a good idea to wait until people get their hands on the game before claiming anything.

#12 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

I love you, Ivan.

#13 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Turns out that the framerate "problems" on the PS4 version are actually caused by the framerate being too high. Not only does it run at 1080p, but the framerate is so high that it's causing judder. The good news is that this is easily fixable in a patch, so hopefully all of the issues will be resolved shortly. Looks like the rumors about the three-week port job that got it running at 90fps might be true after all.

Edited by Drew, 20 November 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#14 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Awesome man, I'm sure their patch will work just as well as other patches they've done for COD in the past. 

#15 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Awesome man, I'm sure their patch will work just as well as other patches they've done for COD in the past. 

Sounding a little sour there, Ivan...

The sharpening filter that seems to be applied to all XBO multiplat upscales butchers image quality.

GHOSTXBvsPS_2_zpsbb7dad00.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_1_zpsed0e721c.gif

GHOSTXBvsPS_4_zps2b57e2b0.gif

What were they thinking? Edit: Seems to be determined by developers, as AC4 does not suffer from a sharpening filter:

ibtoNgg6IyAzsn.gif

Edited by Drew, 20 November 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#16 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Did you get that from Digital Foundry? Otherwise you know it's just speculation.

#17 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Did you get that from Digital Foundry? Otherwise you know it's just speculation.

Anandtech, actually. (:

Edited by Drew, 20 November 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#18 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

I haven't played PS4 CoD MP yet, but I thought you said the Day 1 patch fixed the problems?

#19 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I haven't played PS4 CoD MP yet, but I thought you said the Day 1 patch fixed the problems?

Fixed most of them. They didn't implement vsync apparently, as that's why we're seeing judder now.

#20 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I don't get the whole judder thing, I often leave VSync off on PC games in order to get the lower possible input latency with the unfortunately side effect of tearing, is this just bad time scaling by Infinity Ward or is this something that I've somehow managed to not notice over the years?

As a side note, I could see IW not implementing VSync in order to get a super low latency, since that's pretty important to CoD.

PS I don't doubt Anandtech for a second, the issue just seems super weird. It's really funny to me how developers seem to be having a hard time scaling time according to render time lately, it was literally one of the first things I learnt about when starting games programming.

Edited by UHYVE, 20 November 2013 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq