#21 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

As for the Halo-Marathon theories I remember Bungie saying in one of their weekly updates that the Halo universe and the Marathon universe are not interconnected but some of what is being tossed around about them being one in the same sounds plausible.

They aren't interconnected, there's just many parallels between the two. I've always thought of Halo to be a spiritual retelling of the Marathon saga.

#22 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

http://www.gamespot....mp;subj=6193720

Source: A source with first-hand knowledge of Bungie's development.

What we heard: Last year, those skilled enough to complete Halo 3 on legendary difficulty were treated to an extended ending of the game after the credits rolled. For those who don't have a knack for Covenant-slaying, numerous YouTube videos depict how, following the defeat of the Flood, series hero the Master Chief is left adrift in space in the front half of the United Nations Space Command (UNSC) ship Forward Until Dawn.

After a brief conversation with the AI Cortana, the genetically enhanced, perpetually armored Chief enters a hypersleep chamber. The cutscene camera switches to an exterior shot, which pulls back to reveal the remnants of the Dawn entering orbit around a mystery planet. As the sun rises on the planet, music swells, and the screen fades to white--and the cut scene abruptly ends.

With that set-up, many assumed that Bungie's next project would feature the Master Chief marooned on a strange planet, struggling for survival--a sort of off-world Far Cry. However, a source with knowledge of the studio's development slate told GameSpot a different story. She or he said sometime this year, Bungie will announce a "darker, grittier" Halo title that doesn't feature the Master Chief at all.

According to the source, the new Halo game will be a spin-off that resembles "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War." It will reportedly tell a "less cartoony" and "more bloody, violent, and grim" tale of a battle between UNSC forces and the pan-racial religious empire known as the Covenant. The game's atmosphere was described as similar to that of the live-action Halo shorts directed by South African filmmaker Neil Blomkamp (pictured), who was to helm the now-stalled big-screen adaptation of the game.

The source says the upcoming Halo game is a tactical shooter that will follow a squad of colonial marines or orbital drop shock troopers engaged in "intense" fighting on the ground. Gameplay details were scant, other than the fact it will reportedly allow gamers to play as an entire squad in co-op mode through the entire campaign. The exact number of co-op players has yet to be finalized, but it could be as high as eight. It is unclear if the new game is the same as the "Halo: Forerunner" project first rumored in 2006.

The official story: Microsoft had not yet responded to requests for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: Based on the strength of the source, this is almost certainly not bogus. And with Bungie's teaser last week, news about the game could arrive as soon as tomorrow's Microsoft press conference at the E3 Media & Business Summit.

Just a rumour, but the bolded part is pretty awesome sounding. We may find out more tomorrow, or at PAX, or never.

#23 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:00 PM

Interesting. They mentioned something sounding very much like this on 1UP last Friday. Maybe the rumor has some weight.

#24 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

Interesting. They mentioned something sounding very much like this on 1UP last Friday. Maybe the rumor has some weight.

Yeah, I remember that. They thought it would specifically feature the Helljumpers.

#25 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Wait, what teaser did Bungie release last week? Did I miss something? This sounds awesome, but I'm not sure if I could live without the Halo multiplayer. Considering the fact that I hated Gears of War and liked the GRAW single-player exclusively, this could be a problem. But following the story of 8 Helljumpers seems pretty badass and would be filled with the witty humor that Bungie loves and adores.

Edited by Stormtrooper30, 13 July 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#26 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

Panties = Creamed.

#27 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

Wait, what teaser did Bungie release last week? Did I miss something?

In the ViDoc about Cold Storage. Luke says something about an Independent Multi-Game Studio. Until he was cut-off by Shishka.

If it is anything like they described, I like the new direction Halo is going.

Possible Master Chief kameo?

#28 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

FYI, whatever we see at E3, if it doesn't have the story of the Chief on that planetoid it doesn't go in this thread.

#29 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

FYI, whatever we see at E3, if it doesn't have the story of the Chief on that planetoid it doesn't go in this thread.

yeah, because they didn't announce any thing AT ALL?!? I am semi pissed right now.

#30 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

yeah, because they didn't announce any thing AT ALL?!? I am semi pissed right now.

Lighten up, Francis. There's three whole days for new stuff to be announced. Besides, anybody would be nuts to think this doesn't mean anything.

Edited by Kinetic, 14 July 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#31 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

http://www.bungie.net/defaultsi.aspx

#32 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

http://www.bungie.net/defaultsi.aspx

can't access it at work, can anyone make a screenshot using filecloud as a host?

#33 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

I hope you're right, Kinetic, but I just can't imagine why Bungie wouldn't have made their game announcement at the Microsoft conference, if that is what they're going to be announcing.

#34 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:31 AM

It has timer. 1 day left on it.

#35 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

image shack will have to do, filecloud's flashyness scared me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Maj Williams

Maj Williams
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

image shack will have to do, filecloud's flashyness scared me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

imageshack is blocked at my work too. filecloud isn't :(

so I can't see it. I also heard the b.net logo was changed?

#37 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

waiting on filecloud to send me the conformation thingy, hopefull before 4 when i gotta leave work

#38 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

I hope you're right, Kinetic, but I just can't imagine why Bungie wouldn't have made their game announcement at the Microsoft conference, if that is what they're going to be announcing.

It's Bungie we're talking about. This is the way they do things. Being up front about it and announcing it somewhere most people are expecting it to be would've surprised me more than the viral campaign they're doing.

imageshack is blocked at my work too. filecloud isn't :(

so I can't see it. I also heard the b.net logo was changed?

Long story short it has something to do with the Superintendent, and there's a countdown that ends in about 40 hours.

Edited by Kinetic, 14 July 2008 - 11:52 AM.

#39 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

Maybe their new game isn't on a Microsoft platform :ohmy:
Kidding

Edited by UHYVE, 14 July 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#40 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

no way ,i dont thionk theyd do something so drastic, halo is the flagship game of xbox, they'd piss off some 10 bazillion fans

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq