The best of Halo Waypoint

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys, over at Waypoint we finally have a way to easily link straight to videos and that's via our website. So I thought I'd take this opportunity to point of some of my favorite videos that voc and I have done over the past year or so. I created a single location where you can find the videos from the two series that have been the most fun for me to work on for voc (who comes up with the ideas as well as writes and records the VO):

A Different Way to Campaign
In this series, voc and I do cool stuff like hijack Anti-Air Wraiths and attempt to destroy every Phantom in a given location.

Vintage Fisticuffs
Here, voc reminisces about the coolest encounters from the games.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm definitely interested in you guys' opinions in particular. Oh and you'll need to have Silverlight installed if you didn't already.

#2 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

I always loved "A Different Way to Campaign". It was a great way to get fan-discovered campaign experiences out for the general Halo public to know about. Definitely want to see more of this, and perhaps have it go even deeper and get even more creative, showing me stuff that I absolutely never would have thought of, and didn't know about before. Especially stuff that changes the genre of Halo from great-FPS to something else entirely, by playing the game a different way, coop or otherwise. Ex: System link in Forge with three controllers, and two players, on a previously forged map. Have one player on the larger TV go into monitor mode and fly up to give an overhead view of the entire battlefield. Both players play on a TV in the other room so they can't view it, and try to do multiplayer from an overhead view using the larger TV. Essentially turns into a game of tanks. It's ridiculous. I don't know if another control scheme would make this easier, haven't tried too much. Auto look centering would probably help. Also haven't tried using actual tanks. :P Vintage Fisticuffs is great as well. A very well-intentioned look back at the beating heart of Halo, through its various engaging moments. One thing I would love to see this series do is go EVEN deeper into the emotion packed within each encounter, and even deeper into the fiction. I know I'm not a longstanding member of the AJ community, but I hope my opinion counts just as much. :P I feel like both of these series are great. There's just a lot more potential as well. They are essentially recapping what most hardcore Halo fans already know. It would be even more impressive if you could reveal stuff to us that we hadn't considered before. :) Keep it up!
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#3 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

i do like your series and yours is one of my favorite ones (some of the other stuff can be kinda meh). I gotta say though, my favorite thing is the motion comics! needs more of those, even if i cant find them on the site

Edited by UltimateDogg, 09 October 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#4 DangerousDave

DangerousDave
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hey Coco, question: is there any type of low-fi content feed for Waypoint? Problem is, I'm hesitant about using Waypoint as a source for Halo articles on Wikipedia since it requires Silverlight, and since it appears all the content from the old Waypoint site has been swept away without much ado and are now a bunch of junk redirects (namely, the "Transmissions" sections that I was citing.) I'm not really sure how Webcite or Archive.org will handle Silverlight input (most likely not well.) Waah, I miss the old site. Call me old-fashioned, but this Flash/Silverlight business is so 1990s band page :D

#5 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hi Dave. Yes, there is an HTML version of the site, and that is what search engines and archival sites will crawl and archive. The only difference is that HTML version currently doesn't support video play. However, the URLs are identical and each video even gets its own page on the HTML site (although it says "please install Silverlight to view this video"). So if you were to link to a page and someone who didn't have Siverlight clicked that link, they would still be taken to the correct page and would be able to view the content just fine (minus videos). To see the HTML version of the site, just scroll to the very bottom of the page and you'll see the HTML link. And I'm sorry you don't like the Silverlight version of the site. We're definitely taking in folks' opinions about it, both positive and negative. :)

#6 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Hi Dave. Yes, there is an HTML version of the site, and that is what search engines and archival sites will crawl and archive. The only difference is that HTML version currently doesn't support video play. However, the URLs are identical and each video even gets its own page on the HTML site (although it says "please install Silverlight to view this video"). So if you were to link to a page and someone who didn't have Siverlight clicked that link, they would still be taken to the correct page and would be able to view the content just fine (minus videos).

To see the HTML version of the site, just scroll to the very bottom of the page and you'll see the HTML link.

And I'm sorry you don't like the Silverlight version of the site. We're definitely taking in folks' opinions about it, both positive and negative. :)

its a pretty site, but the non silverlight site is just fine. On the halo believe site or the reach laser memorial atleast it was rich content, so i didnt mind all that much, but to basically have an all silverlight site raises my web developer ire :)

#7 DangerousDave

DangerousDave
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

its a pretty site, but the non silverlight site is just fine. On the halo believe site or the reach laser memorial atleast it was rich content, so i didnt mind all that much, but to basically have an all silverlight site raises my web developer ire :)

This is basically it. I'm a XML/CSS standards-oriented chap, and while I enjoy dynamic content in part, I think overall that building entire sites out of Flash or Silverlight is just a bad idea. I don't like loading screens, never will :)

I don't mean to knock your work, Coco, it's some solid stuff on that site, I'm just quibbling over aesthetics. Thanks for the tip about the HTML; any chance old links like http://halo.xbox.com...ght-on-Louis-Wu will ever be backported, or are they lost forever?

#8 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

Damn, I didn't even know most of these videos existed. Some good stuff in there.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#9 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

This is basically it. I'm a XML/CSS standards-oriented chap, and while I enjoy dynamic content in part, I think overall that building entire sites out of Flash or Silverlight is just a bad idea. I don't like loading screens, never will :)

I don't mean to knock your work, Coco, it's some solid stuff on that site, I'm just quibbling over aesthetics. Thanks for the tip about the HTML; any chance old links like http://halo.xbox.com...ght-on-Louis-Wu will ever be backported, or are they lost forever?

I doubt it. :( Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq