Halo 2

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:19 AM

Although I was never able to procure a copy of the Legendary Edition, my brother-in-law has it and I borrowed the 'Halo 3 Essentials' executable. Just watched it this morning and I'm glad we finally learned some, if not all of the levels/cinematics cut from Halo 2: - The level after 'Cairo Station' which involved the Chief strapping the Covenant bomb to the back of a Warthog and racing across the station's training environment and somehow into the Covenant ship, tearing it apart with Miranda Keyes and ODSTs. - 'The Forerunner Tank' where the Chief, after having eliminated the Prophet of Regret and escaped the Covenant bombardment, he drops into the lake and ventures through this underwater environment, introducing the player to the Gravemind. When this wascut, they had to introduce the Gravemind as a character which was lip-synced and introduced as the 'talking plant-like creature.' - The cinematic where the Chief is sent by Miranda and the Prophets (apparently creating a temporary truce) to kill the Gravemind by strapping a bomb to his back and dropping him into a hole, presumably on Delta Halo. Miranda initially had a great deal of mistrust of the Chief in the original story, as he was seemingly 'crazed' with attempting to stop the rings from firing. Evidently this fueled her compromise with the Covenant. - A cinematic before Uprising showed the Brutes executing the Elite Councilors on the Covenant, furthering the backstory of 'The Great Schism.' - The last level of the game was prefaced (the end of 'High Charity') by the Chief launching himself and a Warthog into the Forerunner dreadnought. The level, including a Warthog, was going to be a battle through the Forerunner ship and eventually Earth as three separate missions which 'would have ended with a bang.' The last mission ended somewhere on or near the Ark. The last cinematic of Cortana and the Gravemind would have been the same, but the Chief would not return for her.

#2 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

Aah, Halo 2 could've been so much better. :(

#3 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

Aah, Halo 2 could've been so much better. :(

understatement, lol.

#4 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,964 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

Wait, wait, wait. Is this on the second disc, or what? Because I didn't see it on the first. If it is, looks like I'm going to have to buy Legendary. Fucking Bungle. =(

#5 El Leone

El Leone
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

Wait, wait, wait. Is this on the second disc, or what? Because I didn't see it on the first. If it is, looks like I'm going to have to buy Legendary. Fucking Bungle. =(

It's on the legendary disc on the commentary of Halo 2.

#6 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

You should have got dat shit to begin with nub. Lots of good stuff on the commentary tracks and the Essentials Disc 2 in general. The Bestiarum is sick and has many, many little tidbits about the Covie species and their technologies.

#7 MasterChief2829

MasterChief2829
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

Are these cutscenes shown? Or are they just discussed. I have the legendary edition but I'm going to bed soon got a big day tomorrow, don't have time to get everything out.

#8 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

Some weren't cinematics, some were physical levels to play through and no, none of them were shown, just talked about. GameTap recently ran an interview with Staten about 'Contact: Harvest.' Probably the best interview (part 1 and part 2) they've had in the wake of Halo 3 and they talk a lot about Halo 2. Staten talks about some of the elements which were cut returned at the beginning of Halo 3 in a more drawn-out fashion, which is similar to what I suggested happened after the announcement trailer. I think the revelation of the Ark (or gateway to the Ark as we know it now) was something that happened toward the end of the second game. Apparently, Halo 2 was supposed to be the final game, and the Master Chief's last battle was against Truth. At the end of Halo 2, Cortana still would have been on High Charity, under the vices of the Gravemind. Such a shame.

#9 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

I think I see the reasons for some of the changes they made from the large step of Halo 1 to Halo 2. After releasing Halo: Combat Evolved, it turned out to be such a success that they new they had to come up with more ideas to keep the series going strong. As with Bungie, videogame companies are often looked at to bring forth something new and innovative to their games so they are not seen as being lazy for not putting forth more effort into the sequel. Weren't you more hyped up about getting Halo 2 over Halo 3? All of the ideas and concepts they have created for Halo 2 are, from a certain standpoint, really good, but good ideas are only just good ideas unless you can implement them correctly. That's something that can be said of any game really. Lock-on with the Rocket Launcher, being able to wield the Energy Sword, vehicle hi-jacking (my jaw dropped when I saw this for the first time), and dual-wielding. Most ideas that were mainly non-existent in this type of genre. Most of their time was spent trying to create a second engine that was more optimized for the Xbox. They tried to push the Xbox more the it could handle, and it bit them in the ass just because they were not doing the proper gameplay testing beforehand. Although we were really wanting our hands on Halo 3, it didn't have us in the same state of shock and awe as when we first saw Halo 2. Everything in Halo 3 didn't have near as much innovation as Halo 2 even though they did bring about some really wanted ideas like Saved Films and Forge, but those things have already been done before. Halo 3 just seems to be a step in the direction of trying to fix most of the problems from Halo 2 rather than trying to please the fans that made Halo 1 so popular. [/rant]

Edited by DualX2, 13 December 2007 - 07:46 PM.

#10 MasterChief2829

MasterChief2829
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Don't forget the Mongoose, the Earth Metropolis shown at E3, Saved Films, Grunt Voice Masking, 1 shot scoped BR!, etc., :)

#11 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

Thats one thing I always wish that they would have included, the one shot option from the BR. I'm not sure how useful or practical it'd be, but it sure would be cool.

#12 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

All of you are wrong.

Everything in this is what is missing from Halo 2. And 3. And 1.

This was better than Halo 1/2/3. This was epic at its max.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#13 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

All of you are wrong.

I 100% agree. H2 and even H3 (a little) disappointed me. But H1 is untouchable.

#14 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

All of you are wrong.

I didn't click on your link. But I assume it's boobies.

#15 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:13 AM

I still remember that trailer. I almost wet myself when I saw it. And then Halo 2 came out and the campaign utterly disappointed me.

#16 MCPO RaZ

MCPO RaZ
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

Although I was never able to procure a copy of the Legendary Edition, my brother-in-law has it and I borrowed the 'Halo 3 Essentials' executable. Just watched it this morning and I'm glad we finally learned some, if not all of the levels/cinematics cut from Halo 2:

Yes, I remember being quite surprised when I watched the cinematics w/ commentary for the 1st time and learning of the visions they had for H2 that were chopped off before they saw the light of day. Anyone who watched the H2 (Limited Collectors Edition) features saw the time constraints placed on Bungie to pump out H2 and how Jason Jones admitted that certain aspects of time vs productivity should be scrutinized... a decision later, which most of us know led up Bungie's separation from HALO and Microsoft. A decision that we will see the effects of in the near future. When learning of some exact plot points that were removed one could only begin to imagine the scope and depth that H2 could have had. Oh well... spilt milk. I still thoroughly enjoyed the game.

You have to laugh at things such as the "Covenant Space Pickle" and how they got around the holes in the plot that needed patching just so the game could have some consistency and be enjoyable. The commentary on the cinematics is enlightening and funny the same time. I was somewhat fascinated as Joe was explaining how the cinematics were created and the tricks that were used. You could tell he really enjoys what he does by the tone of his voice.

I think H2 was a great product. I agree we were all having high expectations after the E3 demo... but H2 did hold up as a solid game that pushed the limits of the XBOX. If only we were able to have that darn one-shot battle rifle. I still wonder what they would be like. Also, we know that as of E3 when the demo was exibited Bungie didn't have one playable level for H2. They spent too much time on ideas than actual production.. but the final decisions that were made were in the best interest for the game and the future title. They learned from thier mistakes and are trying to correct it as of now. Only in the near future will we learn if Jason Jones has made the right decision for the team. From what we see right now, it appears he has.

All of you are wrong.

I don't know what you mean by "all of you are wrong" but I agree that this demo was epic. How many times did each one of us flip our lids multiple times while watching that demo? I remember receiving the demo on a OXM disk and watching it over and over again and being pumped up for H2. In my small opinion I don't know if there will ever be another demo that will shake my gaming foundations as this one did. Those final months wating for H2 to come out were painful and exciting at the same time.

When I got the game and loaded it up for the 1st time I was amazed at the scope and depth of detail from the opening cinematic. Even my wife was amazed. The gameplay was exactly what I expected minus that darn one-shot br that I was really looking forward to.

H2 demo definately trumps any demo I have ever seen. The world stood still and watched in awe as it played and aligned gamers for life. I will be shocked to see another demo ever do that on a worldwide scale. Not just from Bungie, but from any gaming company for that matter. Until then, I will be waiting.

Edited by MCPO RaZ, 02 February 2009 - 07:43 AM.

#17 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

H2 demo definately trumps any demo I have ever seen. The world stood still and watched in awe as it played and aligned gamers for life. I will be shocked to see another demo ever do that on a worldwide scale. Not just from Bungie, but from any gaming company for that matter. Until then, I will be waiting.

As a relatively recent Halo fan having only come on board since the Halo3 hype started, I have to say thanks all for introducing that. I'd never seen it before and can understand how much anticipation it must have drummed up.

#18 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

I vote MCPO RaZ be given the title THREADROMANCER Or maybe NECROTHREADER... I like THREADROMANCER better though.

#19 MCPO RaZ

MCPO RaZ
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

I vote MCPO RaZ be given the title

THREADROMANCER

Or maybe NECROTHREADER... I like THREADROMANCER better though.

Thanks... I think.

I'm just the new guy here and I'm reading this stuff for the first time. I thank Jironmo for allowance of membership. I know my post are going to be far out of date but thats what happens when a new guy comes in. I'm a little sad that I didn't know about this site earlier... maybe I could have added some meaningful posts to the conversations. For now, I will be reading alot and bumping threads that probably haven't been viewed in awhile. Who knows.. maybe that will be a good thing and get some conversations flowing on a forum that looks to be stagnant for the time being. IMO.. this is the best Halo forum I have seen. I would like to see it continue growing.

I do like "Thread Romancer" ... it fits for the time being.. lol.

Edited by MCPO RaZ, 02 February 2009 - 05:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq