Video Capture

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

I seem to remember someone recording video from Halo 3 at some point, so I figured someone here might be able to answer me a question. I recently got Sky HD (which is a UK satellite TV provider) and it let's you record programmes, which is really nice. But I wanna be able to watch the programmes on the media centres I've got scattered around my house, so I need to figure out a way to get the videos onto my main PC (which is the one that acts as my media server). So, I've got a pretty powerful computer (considering upgrading to a core i7 in the near future since they've started to go down in price) which I guess is needed, but the capture card stuff seems way over complicated. Anyway, the question for whoever managed to get HD footage from Halo 3 (or anyone else who might be able to help me out); I was wondering if the card you used got it's input through HDMI, if so, what was the device you were using because I remember that footage looking pretty nice.

#2 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

I'm only using component cables since this is the only thing that the Hauppauge HD PVR provides, but it works very well.You can view how well it does for me personally here.

#3 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

I think that's probably the closest thing I'm gonna find. It's a shame really, I'm thinking that it's probably difficult to find HDMI versions of this sorta stuff because of all of the extra security in HDMI. Which is probably why these Sky boxes only allow HDMI connections, makes sense I suppose. Man, that Hauppauge thingy was a really nice price aswell... it's still actually kinda tempting... Oooh, actually, I think my TV has a component output. That might work, may end up getting that thing after all. Nice.

#4 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

HDMI HDCP is specifically there to prevent you from doing what you're looking to do. That's why so many of the cable companies are insisting on HDMI for everything. I've used that Hauppauge unit Dual has and it's awesome. What you could do is use a A/V receiver which can take HDMI and pass it through to a Component output which you can then pass to the HD PVR.

#5 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

Blackmagic Intensity

Captures directly from HDMI. This comes in 2 flavors, you can get the PCIe capture card to install in your computer or the Shuttle which is a box like the Hauppauge but you need USB 3.0 for that. I'd probably recommend the PCIe card for you since your i7 would probably be great and encoding this stuff fast.

This thing does Component too.

#6 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

With the 360, you can capture game footage via HDMI. Just not videos.

#7 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

Right, I thought I remembered something about DRM on HDMI, shame. So would the Blackmagic Intensity allow me to get past HDCP? With this new 3 strikes law coming into affect in the UK, I've pretty much gone legit for all TV/Movies/Music and it's killing me not being able to watch stuff on the media centre in my room.

#8 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,949 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

Right, I thought I remembered something about DRM on HDMI, shame.

So would the Blackmagic Intensity allow me to get past HDCP? With this new 3 strikes law coming into affect in the UK, I've pretty much gone legit for all TV/Movies/Music and it's killing me not being able to watch stuff on the media centre in my room.

I know this topic is old as hell, but I'll reply anyway. I use a Blackmagic Intensity and it works great. One thing to note if you're going to be playing while recording, if you don't split the output and play on a different television or monitor, the input lag is horrible. Even with a really good computer there's going to be a lot of delay. Just a heads up.

#9 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

Don't buy ATI capture products either. They lock you into using ATI's horrid software.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#10 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

I know this topic is old as hell, but I'll reply anyway. I use a Blackmagic Intensity and it works great. One thing to note if you're going to be playing while recording, if you don't split the output and play on a different television or monitor, the input lag is horrible. Even with a really good computer there's going to be a lot of delay. Just a heads up.

You've done some cool shit in the past, what kind of software do you use?

#11 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

I have a few questions regarding the Black Magic Intensity Pro PCI-E card. First off, what kind of disk array can I get for under $250 so I can capture in HD1080? Second, when using an HDMI-to-DVI output why wont the xbox 360/ BMIP send a signal that way? When streaming my content (twitch.tv/zenbaltz) what kinds of things do I need to know regarding streaming in HD vs SD? Thank you in advance, specifics available upon reply!

#12 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Dude, I wouldn't capture in 1080 if the xbox is really only doing 720p. Just grab it at 720p, you'll lose nothing in quality.

#13 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Second, when using an HDMI-to-DVI output why wont the xbox 360/ BMIP send a signal that way?

Don't do this. Conversion to DVI rarely works, especially if you're using HDMI's audio signal. You're better off buying a new capture device that can take component or HDMI in directly.

#14 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

Don't do this. Conversion to DVI rarely works, especially if you're using HDMI's audio signal. You're better off buying a new capture device that can take component or HDMI in directly.

I only need to use this for the output video coming from my capture card due to the fact that my monitor doesn't have an HDMI input, but whether I run the cable directly from the Xbox to the Monitor or from the Xbox-Capcard/ Capcard- Monitor, the Xbox refuses to display a signal.

This is the process I intend to use for Streaming btw...

Edited by zenbaltz, 14 September 2011 - 07:19 AM.

#15 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

Dude, I wouldn't capture in 1080 if the xbox is really only doing 720p. Just grab it at 720p, you'll lose nothing in quality.

Good thought, 720p is the overall goal for streaming and gameplay capture.

#16 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

I only need to use this for the output video coming from my capture card due to the fact that my monitor doesn't have an HDMI input, but whether I run the cable directly from the Xbox to the Monitor or from the Xbox-Capcard/ Capcard- Monitor, the Xbox refuses to display a signal.

This is the process I intend to use for Streaming btw...

I suspect it has to do with DRM, but HDMI to DVI from a console rarely works. The only time I've seen HDMI to DVI conversion work is from a PC video card to a monitor.

There's another option. If you only intend to run at 720p, run VGA. VGA runs at 720p max and Microsoft sells the cable for about 40 bucks.

Also, if you intend on streaming your gameplay and not replays (or theater mode in Halo), you need to split the signal to the monitor and the capture device. Capture devices significantly delay the signal to the monitor, creating a huge amount of input lag and make the game unplayable. With a VGA cable, you can split the signal minimal degradation to the monitor and the capture card. This also completely bypasses any and all DRM since you're using an analog signal.

#17 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

I picked up a Black Magic Intensity Pro recently as well. I also set things up so that I can record all of the game audio, like my voice, my teams' voices, and the game audio itself.

YouTube sure does a number on wmvs, the compression is always rough. I'm either going to need to start capturing in 1080p which will eat through disc space like crazy (just tonight I've already used 800GB), or find a better pipeline for editing my videos so they can come out in a different format. I've always used Expression Encoder because it's crazy fast, you can throw together an edit and render it out in almost the time it would take to open up FCP or Premiere. Plus it's free.

#18 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:08 AM

That's still pretty awesome capture quality and it picks up all the voice clearly. Uploading on Vimeo might yield better 720 playback than youtube.. maybe. The other day I finished up rendering my 80 H3 clips and 20 Reach clips on bungie.net o_O I've never used video editing software before but I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to throw together a montage before November 15th.
XBL: Nuvalari

#19 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

I suspect it has to do with DRM, but HDMI to DVI from a console rarely works. The only time I've seen HDMI to DVI conversion work is from a PC video card to a monitor.

There's another option. If you only intend to run at 720p, run VGA. VGA runs at 720p max and Microsoft sells the cable for about 40 bucks.

Also, if you intend on streaming your gameplay and not replays (or theater mode in Halo), you need to split the signal to the monitor and the capture device. Capture devices significantly delay the signal to the monitor, creating a huge amount of input lag and make the game unplayable. With a VGA cable, you can split the signal minimal degradation to the monitor and the capture card. This also completely bypasses any and all DRM since you're using an analog signal.

Thank you sir, attempting this strategy after order arrives.

#20 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

Alright, I have my box hooked up to a VGA splitter via the 360 VGA Cable, from there I have it split via vga to my monitor and the other to a vga-compnent video converter. This component signal then connects to the black magic intensity's component-input breakout cable.

The problem: The picture is dark and pink.

http://imageshack.us...9/streambu.jpg/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq