Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

I think it's fair to say everyone that plays Halo or any game on Live has encountered racists at some point. Usually found in the lobby before or after a game, their genetic make up forces a particular behaviour that results in the cretins mouthing off racist, ethnic or sectarian slurs faster than they can read from their Book of Idiots : How to Not Behave on Live.

Thankfully on Halo, Bungie has seen fit to streamline the mute function, and I glady abuse it muthing the people that decide I might want to hear their attempts to be offensive. I don't normally even do a player review, muting is enough, although if I ever encounter the same people again, easily identified because they come into the lobby pre-muted, I instantly do a review to ensure I never see they again.

My GT in particular seems to be a magnet for racial abuse, for some reason people see Slightly Dark and falsely assume it has something to do with my skin colour. The origins of my GT are irrelevant but rest assured it has nothing to do with race - I'm the sort of person that believes in not bothering in caring about skin colour, a twat is a twat and vice versa independant of skin colour.

Now last night I partied up with some forums guys, no one from here thankfully, and despite having fun, trying some amazingly interesting customs and kick-ass matching, I was left was a sour taste in my mouth. Why? Team mates.

These guys decided to be griefers, meaning at the start and end of every game whilst in the lobby, they launched a tirade of abuse at the enemy players (unfortunately one of the guys didn't have the Legendary map pack, so we were stuck with social matches, meaning communication with the enemy team).

I felt embaressed and uncomfortable, but I stuck around hoping we'd attract more people and the tone would change, but more people didn't and the tone did change, for the worse.

The abuse started to take on serious racial and religious overtones. It quickly stopped being fun and I declined to speak much during the matches and not at all in the lobby. I was about to quit the party but we went in customs and it stopped. A few customs later and I quit for the night.

I do not think I want to join the guys again, especially in matchmaking.

Today I met some guy in Team Snipers and yep, more racial abuse from one of my team mates. He also partied up with us and I suffered through one or more with this one particular guy until I made an excuse and left him alone to his own devices.

I've had it with racist or griefing team mates, I refuse to be associated with people like this. =(

Anyone else encountered this side of the Live racism coin?

#2 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Set your voice communications to team and party only, then mute any racist teammates. You shouldn't really have a problem if you can't hear them. Don't worry, people just use the internet as a sanction to be racist. I garuntee you that they would not say such things in real life when you could kick thier ass.

Edited by Stormtrooper30, 22 June 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#3 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

Not recently have I experianced this but yes I have before. Fortunately they are usually on the other team or I am in Lone wolves. Needless to say, besides muting them, I proceed to hunt them down specifically. I know better than to take serious offense to their simple minded ideals, and trust me I mute them as soon as they start talking, but racism is one of the few things that I cannot stand, especially since 1) members of my own family have some racist sentiments, and 2) a lot of my friends are black (hell, 75% of my friends), so I can't help but feel a little irritated. If they do happen to be on my team, I proceed to betray them right off the bat. They are often stupid enough to kill me enough to let me boot them. My avoided players list grows every week...

Edited by Rtas 'Vadum, 22 June 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

Internet anonymity gives people the means to say as they wish. Yes it sucks, but the only thing you can really do about it is mute the offending players.

#5 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

Internet anonymity gives people the means to say as they wish. Yes it sucks, but the only thing you can really do about it is mute the offending players.

I don't need the mute button. :banana:

#6 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

lol

#7 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

I have left parties for a lot less than racists remarks. No time in this life for that

#8 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

Thankfully we rarely ever encounter that much with people who hang around here. I'll tell you that I don't tolerate it at all, I'll mute in matchmaking and boot or leave if it's in my party. Here and there I've had to tell people who are mildly joking to take it easy. I'm Hispanic and I don't like people to think it's ok to say racially offensive things even when they're joking.

#9 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:00 AM

I love muting them and telling them that im muting them right before i do. like. "OH THATS IT YOUR GETTING MUTED PISS FACE" me "hurablagagahahahahaahah--..." them

#10 Khyberius

Khyberius

The Pretty Prince of Parties

• 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

There is plenty of Racism on live, and I often use the mute button. Just as bad, however, is the sexism. If the somewhat rare girl is playing some Halo 3, I can guarantee some moron will either a.) Make sorry excuses at pick up lines on her or b.) Tell her how much she sucks because she's a girl. Really, I just don't see while people have to be such racist/sexist scumbags on Live. I think that sometimes, they're decent people offline, and they come online to specifically put others down.

#11 CABOOSEP3NGE

CABOOSEP3NGE
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

I rarely hear much racism during matchmaking but I hear alot of it during custom games. Idk if its just my friends have rude friends or what but i've heard some pretty messed up things on XBL that pertain to race or religion

#12 Supa Ben

Supa Ben
  • Veteran
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

I love it when people try to insult me over xbox live, it makes me laugh.

#13 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

I always set my voice to "team/party" when I'm in a party. I could care less what the other team is smacktalking about in pre/post lobbies. In Lone Wolves, I don't use a mic at all, just my headphones. So, I don't hear much racism myself. If I do, it's only for about 5 seconds until I use the Ahole button.

#14 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

There is plenty of Racism on live, and I often use the mute button. Just as bad, however, is the sexism. If the somewhat rare girl is playing some Halo 3, I can guarantee some moron will either a.) Make sorry excuses at pick up lines on her or b.) Tell her how much she sucks because she's a girl. Really, I just don't see while people have to be such racist/sexist scumbags on Live. I think that sometimes, they're decent people offline, and they come online to specifically put others down.

I like having a girl in the party. Its a nice change of pace, I suppose. Someone who can bring a different mindset to the conversations. There were a few girls at the old message board I used to post on frequently. The guys would usually be in a deadlock argument but then one of the female users would come, post her radical opinion, and then the argument would diffuse.

Girls just seem to have a nack for saying things at just the right moments... seductive as hell, eh?

Edited by Stormtrooper30, 23 June 2008 - 01:26 PM.

#15 Khyberius

Khyberius

The Pretty Prince of Parties

• 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

Girls just seem to have a nack for saying things at just right moments... seductive as hell, eh?

Hah, agreed

#16 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

I like having a girl in the party. Its a nice change of pace, I suppose. Someone who can bring a different mindset to the conversations. There were a few girls at the old message board I used to post on frequently. The guys would usually be in a deadlock argument but then one of the female users would come, post her radical opinion, and then the argument would diffuse.

Girls just seem to have a nack for saying things at just the right moments... seductive as hell, eh?

Your pulling an "A)".

Edited by Nightshade, 23 June 2008 - 02:55 PM.

#17 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Stormtrooper talks to girls?

#18 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

a.) Make sorry excuses at pick up lines on her or

Your pulling an "A)".

Get it now Stormtropper?

#19 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

I never used a pickup line, NightShade. Only a nerdy flattery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq