Halo 2

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:23 AM

Just curious on what everyone will be using mostly in combat. Battle Rifle for me all the way, and for my secondary weapon I'll have either the Sniper Rifle or an SMG. I will be dual weilding the magnums since they were my favorite weapon on Halo 1.

#2 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:35 AM

In Halo, my favorite weapon combination was the shotgun and plasma rifle. Now with Halo 2, that's going to have to change...

Primary Weapon: Covenant Carbine/Battle Rifle
Secondary Weapon: Brute Shot/Shotgun
Duel Weilding: Dual Brute Plasma Rifles/Dual Magnums

#3 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 11:00 AM

I'm interested in Voc's dual pistol idea. If you can keep good aim and pull your trigger quick enough, I bet those would be a lethal duo. The secondary is the Brute Shot. Grenade launchers and explosives have always been a friendly relationship.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

• Guests

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

Brute Plasma Rifle x 2 = Your Death

#5 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:53 PM

Primary: Sniper or Beam Rifle, always (except right after a respawn) Secondary: Shotgun (maybe a Brute shot) Dual Wielding Awesomeness: Right hand- Plasma Rifle (pref. of the Brute variety) Left hand- Magnum

• Guests

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:13 PM

All of them. I don't really like to speciallize with particular weapons. I just pick up a weapon and go. But.... I've always enjoyed the shotgun. The Brute Shot might be another fav of mine (I really enjoyed using it :D )

#7 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:44 AM

My favorite weapons are usually the Magnum and an SMG, paired together. I did discover the joys of the Plasma Rifle when put with an SMG last night and the results were quite kick ass. Depending on the distance, ranged weapons can best be a Carbine/Battle Rifle or Sniper/Beam Rifles, but if there is any closed-areas on the map that you will be participating, usually grenades and vehicles are the first resort...my ranged game has gone to hell...

• Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:00 AM

So far, in campaign, I have been actively using the carbine and the Plasma Rifle when I can get them. You can switch out the Carbine with the battle rifle in most situations, but I like the feel of the carbine...somewhat more.

#9 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:17 AM

I agree. The carbine just feels more deadly, though I haven't gotten very far in campaign yet, so I haven't picked it up there. The shotgun is money at close range, as is the SMG-magnum combo. The sniper rifle is my weapon of choice. I'd rather have to reload after 4 rounds than be afraid of overheating after popping off shots too quickly with the beam rifle. I really like the rocket launcher's new feel, from the acceleration as it gets farther away to the lock-on for vehicles, to the deadly sound that it makes (-shudder-).

#10 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

The RL is definately bad-ass. The explosion animations and effects however, leave a little to be desired. Tha Carbine is money ( and love to the BR too), I like that with needler or PR dualed up. Dont forget the swords. When I see an Elite with one of those, I'm no longer scared. That is, if I have one too. I've also found a little place in my heart for the Sentinal beam, it has its uses. havent finished yet. GAME ON!!!

#11 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:37 PM

Coolest. explosion. ever. Plasma grenade. Yes.

#12 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:51 PM

I'm about halfway into the campaign and can report a weapons review of sorts.

Plasma Pistol(s): Good for taking out Sentinels, but not much else. When dual wielded, they're useful for taking out Sentinels faster.

Magnum(s): A very effective dual wielding combo. A quick trigger finger can cut down mostly any enemy within two seconds. It's just that they are hard to find, and when you do find them there's a very limited amount of ammo.

Plasma Rifle(s): Overall a very good weapon, however its true potential can only be brought out when dual wielding with another weapon.

SMG(s): The replacement of the Assault Rifle is better and meaner than the original. This is a good weapon wether you're dual wielding or not.

I haven't had the chance to use Brute Plasma Rifles yet, so so far all of these can take a backseat to...

Needler(s): Wow. What can I say. It is pretty much the greatest dual weapon the whole first half of the game. They home in better and do much more damage. I'm positive it has two firing speeds. One of them is the speed that you saw at E3, the other slightly faster than Halo's.

Rocket Launcher: A very nice heavy weapon. The tracking feature is great, but if the target moves too much, the rocket goes flying out of control.(as to be expected though) The hollow sound it makes when fired sends chills down your spine.

Sniper Rifle: Not much has changed. There is no recoil from what I can tell, and is still the most effective ranged weapon.

Beam Rifle: A nice addition to the weapons roster. Not as good as the Sniper Rifle, but is much easier to find and can fire faster without reloading.

Fuel Rod Gun: I don't use this much. (mainly because you almost never have the chance) What I have experienced though is a fairly good Covenant "Rocket Launcher"

Sentinel Beam: It has its uses. It's best suited for (highlight to read) handling the flood without using your Sword too much.

Energy Sword: A very effective weapon if you get in range. I use it for surprise attacks mostly, and the damage is great. If you're not at close range, this weapon isn't useful.

Battle Rifle: One of the better weapons in the game. Great at mid range, close range, and long range. This and the Carbine are two of my favorite weapons.

Carbine: Kicks ass in a very alien fashion. It looks cool, sounds cool, and is cool. The rate of fire is great and so is the damage. This weapon is about as powerful as the Battle Rifle, but I prefer this.

The Brute Shot has yet to be used in campaign. I'll update when I do.

#13 TheDrinkNinja

TheDrinkNinja
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:55 PM

SMG/Plasma rifle for me. For the love of all that is holy, I cannot get the Battle Rifle to stop sucking in my hands. It's like they replace the rounds with blanks or something. Bleah. Sword is good too. You can probably see the only arranged game I did well in was Swords against you guys. Was the fun, and I'd rather use a sword than a Battle Rifle. Can we make that my Custom Title? "Hates the Battle Rifle".
XBL: TheDrinkNinja

#14 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:09 AM

I nearly always have the battle rifle as my secondary weapon, so I can have something with a scope to fall back on. But I really like dual weilding the plasma rifle and SMG atm. They're really really.... good.

#15 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

Can't go wrong with pistols. Having just one in your hand with an SMG hurts. Having two can be rocket-effective. I've lit up a few ghosts/banshees just by quickly unloading 24 rounds of pistol ammo into them. I still diss the shotgun, but I won't just give any low-grade remark like "it just sucks"; I have reasons. 1) Each round does not fire a consistent number of slugs. I've seen a shot have 7 to 10 slugs come out of the barrel, all based on some random wheel of fortune the system uses. 2) Most of the shots, at a short distance, will not even spray within the reticule, but instead, around or outside it. Balanced and more realistic? Maybe just balanced, because no need-to-be-within-melee-range kind of shotgun should be made for future united military forces. The shotgun I know has had its glory removed.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#16 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:54 PM

I agree, the shotty sucks bawls for all the reasons above. I wept after the first time I tried it in combat. no teeth, no nuts, no fun. Its good for VERY close quarters, more usefull in MP than in campaign, but even then...

#17 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:34 PM

Being a shotgun whore in Halo, I must agree. I tested out BRASH's statements (with BRASH actually present I might add) and they were all true. I counted four slugs that went waaaaay out of my reticle's range, and not every shot counted the same amount of slots.(somehow it does the same amount of damage every time though) I still love the shotgun. I get most of my double/triple kills and killtaculars with it. When it's shotgun vs. shotgun though, it's a matter of who shoots first at the closest range. No matter what you're either dead or have a very low shield bar.

#18 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

The shotgun is definitely a neutered, wussed-out, NERF to the max version of the old one. Still, used correctly, especially on maps like Midship/Colossus, it can rain down the triple kills... I do miss the first shotgun though... (sniff)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq