31 replies to this topic

#1 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Posted Image

TOR BOOKS ANNOUNCES TITLE, COVER ART OF FIRST NOVEL IN SCIENCE FICTION LEGEND GREG BEAR'S HALO FORERUNNER SAGA

Check out http://halo.xbox.com...orerunners/5011 for more information.

Also announces that Karen Traviss will be working on a Halo novel series relating to the post-"Halo 3" universe.

Certainly no shortage of Halo novels on the way.

Edited by Merguson, 09 October 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#2 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

Posted Image

TOR BOOKS ANNOUNCES TITLE, COVER ART OF FIRST NOVEL IN SCIENCE FICTION LEGEND GREG BEAR'S HALO FORERUNNER SAGA

Check out http://halo.xbox.com...orerunners/5011 for more information.

Also announces that Karen Traviss will be working on a Halo novel series relating to the post-"Halo 3" universe.

Certainly no shortage of Halo novels on the way.

karen traviss gets the post ghost of onyx trilogy, and then there is this trilogy. makes me wonder if thats what they meant by 2 trilogies in respect to this comment:
http://www.joystiq.c...-film-transmed/

still, this looks awesome, and as always i hope they dont fuck it up :P

Edited by UltimateDogg, 09 October 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#3 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Though I've never read any of Greg Bears books before I cant wait for this. I'll check tomorrow at my local bookstore if I can pre-order it. The cover art looks really cool but I don't think I like the title...

Edited by KrAzY WiSh, 09 October 2010 - 05:35 PM.

GT: KrAzY WiSh

#4 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,841 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Cocopjojo
  • PSN:Cocopjojo
  • Steam:Cocopjojo

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

karen traviss gets the post ghost of onyx trilogy, and then there is this trilogy. makes me wonder if thats what they meant by 2 trilogies in respect to this comment:
http://www.joystiq.c...-film-transmed/

We worked with Starlight Runner in the past but I honestly don't know where they got that information from. Whatever was shown in those slides is either speculation on their part or very, very old data (like from before the Peter Jackson stuff got canned).

#5 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

If that's the final cover sign me up for twenty copies. Hot damn.

#6 DangerousDave

DangerousDave
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

Indeed. The Tor novels had pretty good covers (the reissues, not so much), but this is certainly one of the most interesting--lost epic sci-fi feel totally divorced from the military sf vibe. Gives me hope that the stories will match.

#7 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:58 PM

We worked with Starlight Runner in the past but I honestly don't know where they got that information from. Whatever was shown in those slides is either speculation on their part or very, very old data (like from before the Peter Jackson stuff got canned).

heh, gotta love when people talk out of their butt about a hot topic for some attention.

reminds me of epitaph (in a style way, not the gameplay on the map way :) ). The forerunner aspect has always been my favorite part of the halo trilogy, especially since the terminals came out.

Indeed. The Tor novels had pretty good covers (the reissues, not so much), but this is certainly one of the most interesting--lost epic sci-fi feel totally divorced from the military sf vibe. Gives me hope that the stories will match.

the reissue was a good idea that was poorly executed... and then reach came out...facepalm. Reissuing FoR to fix the errors is one thing, but not fixing the errors when rereleasing and not even adressing the whole game changer that is reach is just poor execution. If they didnt want to spoil reach for whatever reason, they could have waited a few months....

Sorry, got a bit heated over here, ignore me :D

Edited by UltimateDogg, 09 October 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#8 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,979 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

If Karen Traviss is involved, it will get fucked up. She completely ruined Star Wars EU for me (and I'd say a lot of others, looking at the sales data post-Legacy of the Force), and now she's about to do the same for Halo. It's a damn shame.

#9 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

If Karen Traviss is involved, it will get fucked up. She completely ruined Star Wars EU for me (and I'd say a lot of others, looking at the sales data post-Legacy of the Force), and now she's about to do the same for Halo. It's a damn shame.

I am not familiar with her, but i looked it up and it seems she doesnt take well to people suggesting that something she wrote makes no sense (3 million clones issue), doesnt play so well with fans (because we bloody well say so) and seems to violate unwritten EU rules (killing mara jade). The first is really what worries me, since nothing is ever error free, and its important to admit it but still i dont see anything where it said her writing was poor.

#10 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

She has nothing to do with the Forerunner books, it looks like.

#11 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Cover art is amazing.
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#12 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I tried reading some of Greg Bear's previous works like Eon, then I remembered I don't read. Might read the Forerunner Saga though, who knows.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#13 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

She has nothing to do with the Forerunner books, it looks like.

she is doing a trilogy of halo novels though, just not the forerunner ones, we cant escape her forever :P

#14 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

we cant escape her forever :P

Sure we can.

We just don't read her books.

As long as she stays out of the development studio and working on her own, I don't really care what she does.

#15 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Honestly I thought her piece in Evolutions was the best one. Perhaps its because it concerned the two characters I find most interesting... but I thought it was well thought out and fit well into the fiction. As long as she continues doing similar stories such as that without changing any of the fiction, I believe she'll write great additions to the Haloverse. But it seems you guys already know more than I do, so perhaps I'm just spouting ill-informed opinions?

#16 UltimateDogg

UltimateDogg
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Honestly I thought her piece in Evolutions was the best one. Perhaps its because it concerned the two characters I find most interesting... but I thought it was well thought out and fit well into the fiction. As long as she continues doing similar stories such as that without changing any of the fiction, I believe she'll write great additions to the Haloverse.

But it seems you guys already know more than I do, so perhaps I'm just spouting ill-informed opinions?

its been a long time since i read that story so i dont really remember, but i know the cole's story was badass. :D

#17 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

This is probably the first time I've been really, really excited for a Halo book, and I'm just starting to realize that now. :P

#18 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,841 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Cocopjojo
  • PSN:Cocopjojo
  • Steam:Cocopjojo

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

This is probably the first time I've been really, really excited for a Halo book, and I'm just starting to realize that now. :P

It's Greg Bear. :) He wrote a novel in the Foundation series and now he's doing a Halo trilogy. Pretty fantastic.

#19 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 457 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

It's Greg Bear. :) He wrote a novel in the Foundation series and now he's doing a Halo trilogy. Pretty fantastic.

Eon is a pretty good series too. His SW: Rogue Planet wasn't that bad either. =)

#20 drossello

drossello
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

I read in an article in IGN that vociferu got blown away three times in the first 3 pages. That got me super hype about this, i mean, that guy writes terrific and his opinions where mostly the same as mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq