Gears of War 2

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#81 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

- new multiplayer mode called "ordeal", it's a mission where you compete to see who kills 100 enemies first.

This stood out for me. Looks like a really bad ass grinder mode. I'm curious where it takes place (in multiplayer maps or in 4-player campaign coop?) and how many people can participate at once. I also like the increase from 4v4 to 5v5. I think that the maps can definitely take it and this would go a long way for our group which seemed, back during the Gears 1 day and age, to always have one extra person who wanted in.

All of this stuff is ace. If performance is improved, I can see a lot of hours devoted to this title.

#82 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

O, herro Flamethrower

Posted Image

More scans here

#83 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

I like the Locust with the mask.

Posted Image

#84 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

EGM:
  • Only returning MP maps are Gridlock and Subway
  • Locust Y execution will rip a guy's arm off and beat him to death with it...
  • If you go down with a frag in your hand, you can detonate it while you're downed, and take-out anyone trying to execute you.
  • You can call for help while downed and your indicator will flash on teammate's screens.
  • According to this the Gnasher is the one with the golf club finisher, and the Longshot gets slammed straight down on the enemy's skull, butt-first. Looks like the melee executions will still be the quickest way to execute someone up close, taking reportedly, a half-second...
  • ARing the Scorcher increases its effective range.
  • All grenades can be stuck to walls, and the smoke's blast will knock shields out of enemy hands.
  • Random weapon spawns will be sensitive to similar styles of weapons, so, the Longshot would be replaced by the Torque...
  • There appears to be a black-clad Theron-style locust with eerily familiar eyes and a suspicious, triangular, black marking on his head in one of the shots...
  • The Y button allows for a variety of executions, including the fist-pummeling for the COGs, the rip-the-arm-off move above for the Locust, and many weapon-specific executions, for instance, you can take the enemy's head, place it on the Torque's blade tip, and rip it off with your foot.
  • When using a shield, any exposed body parts are still fair game.
  • Passing mention of a new "Wall hugging" ability. Not sure what that refers to.
  • Screenshots taken while dead will be scored based on variables such as how many particle effects are present, or how close to centered the enemies are, is there blood or an execution present... The system was likened to Pokemon Snap or Dead Rising. The images will have their own Leaderboards so players can compete for who has the best screenshots.
  • The meatflag in Meatflag is a loudmouth Stranded. The scoring area in MF will move around to various locations after a while.
  • The new Locust pistol is once again called the Gorgon. I suspect Medusa was a mistake.
  • Solid cover will not be completely destructible (at least in MP) but you will be able to chip away a couple inches to get a slight angle on someone.

#85 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

[*]The meatflag in Meatflag is a loudmouth Stranded. The scoring area in MF will move around to various locations after a while.

Heh, I can't wait to hear all the dialogue they give him.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#86 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

I love Gears of War, and I only rank it second to Halo in terms of games I play a lot, though I really haven't done that much online multiplayer. I like the gritty realistic feel of the environment and badassness of the gameplay and options, so I'm stoked for the sequel. I hope there are some more melee specific weapon usages like the chainsaw. One thing about GoW though, I think someone mentioned it earlier, is that it gets old quickly. I had a few friends over the other day and I was completely dominating them in Halo (all three games), so I put in GoW seeing as I hadn't played it in a while. It was cool and we took turns playing the campaign... but after about the third level I couldn't care less about the game and went and watched TV in the other room lol. The replayability is something that needs to be addressed more in this game more than anything. What use is having an awesome game if everyone gets sick of it fairly quickly?

#87 Self Induced

Self Induced

• 739 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

What use is having an awesome game if everyone gets sick of it fairly quickly?

It's impossible to get sick of chainsawing fools. You speak blasphemy.

I think the main thing that made people stop playing GoW was the how the multiplayer had no party system and suffered from lag that was at times game-breaking.

Edited by Self Induced, 28 May 2008 - 09:08 AM.

(no shit)

#88 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

No party system is clearly the single largest folly of GoW. Playing on your own was fucking sweet, but getting a group together? It tried everyone's patience.

#89 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

It's impossible to get sick of chainsawing fools. You speak blasphemy.

I think the main thing that made people stop playing GoW was the how the multiplayer had no party system and suffered from lag that was at times game-breaking.

Don't forget all the glitches. Shooting while sprinting, etc.

#90 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

I like the Locust with the mask.

Agreed. Locusts in gimp masks is sexy as hell.

#91 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

"Full frontal of awesome."

- Super Mayor, after watching this video with me a few minutes ago.

I thought his comment about risk/reward being infused in multiplayer matches and 12+ maps at ship very cool.

#92 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

Day 1 purchase.

#93 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

Fuck.

#94 Hopdaddy

Hopdaddy
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Yes please

#95 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

Oh fuck yes. Also, leaked beta footage.

Edited by Kinetic, 25 June 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#96 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:40 AM

Just when you thought you were safe from my win button, "Were going to need a bigger map...".

I will be tappin' that "B" button harder than Gamble on Hannah Montana.

#97 Self Induced

Self Induced

• 739 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

Starting to look really good.

I will be tappin' that "B" button harder than Gamble on Hannah Montana.

Your B button will cease to exist.
(no shit)

#98 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

Your B button will cease to exist.

Nah, it will just cry, beg me to stop, and beg to God for mercy.

#99 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

Wow this looks amazing.

#100 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

If I had any intention of getting this game, I would rape all of you at chainsaw duels. My button-mashing is unparalleled. In FF8 I never failed to boost my summons all the way to 250 -- that's how fast I mash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq