• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Actually NJ x Falk0r, I intended to say the opposite, although often what we intend to communicate and what we actually communicate are by no means identical. It seems to be that the Covenants strict devotion to detonate the Halos and their desire to incorporate or destroy those who do not follow their Covenant identify them more with the legalist/Pharasaical/Judaizers of the NT. The truth of the Halo story, in so far as I am aware, is that the rings do not lead to life, but death, just as Paul argues regarding following the Mosaic Law. It is the Chief and Cortana (and others in the story I presume) who know that the Halos do not lead to life but lead to death. In many ways the war against the Covenant is not only a war against them, but also to save them from the inevitable death that results from the covenant they follow. I hope this clears up my intentions, and thanks to you and the others for welcoming me to the forum (and hopefully the Clan sometime soon).

Gotcha. That is a very interesting way to look at it.

that just leaves us with Chief=Jesus. But wheres the sacrifice?

Now if the chief sacrifices himself at the end of Halo 3. Than that seems kinda weird as it is at the END of the story. With Christ's sacrifice basically being the BEGINNING of Christianity. (I know christianity is the fufillment of Judaism, but it is basically the beginning of the new covenant.)

And also the Chief would have to sacrifice himself "so that there would be life." because without it there is no hope.

your thoughts?

QUOTE(Blamo @ Apr 28 2007, 05:52 PM)
On the First level of Halo 2, Lord Hood mentions that the fleet that took down Reach was fifty times the size of the one attacking Earth.
Yeah, the Ark is supposed to be like the ark that Noa boarded to escape the Flood. So it is a portal to The dyson sphere. I think.

It would only make sense that along with firing the rings from the Ark, you could also enter the same Dyson sphere that all portals would leed to across the galaxy.

If the chief does enter a portal to the Dyson Sphere in Halo 3. I dont think he will run into the others during the game. They will leave that to the books.

I forget the dimensions but the Dyson Sphere is supposed to be HUGE

QUOTE(mattacus @ Apr 27 2007, 05:02 PM)
I was talking with my wife about the Christ-MC connection. And I noted to her that it didn't work completely, because during his mortal ministry, Christ was the Sacrificial Lamb. He doesn't take on the Lion of the Tribe of Judah role until post Resurrection. At which point Amanda says, what about the beginning of the first game, "Sorry for the quick thaw, Master Chief." He's been in stasis in a box that looks very much like a coffin.

Not only did she quote it verbatim, but she hit on a point: MC has already risen from the grave, as it were. Bungie has moved the Christ Figure motif beyond the old and busted version that all of Western Literature has been employing for centuries, and gone straight to the Ass-Kicking Resurrected side of the story that other tales don't ever mention.

It's actually quite revolutionary. The Arbiter, also, has already been crucified (see the scene where he is stripped and tortured) and returned in a different state. So, technically, to fulfill the motif, neither needs to die. Just Cortana. She's bat-shit insane.

I always thought that "sorry for the quick thaw" meant she pulled him out of Cryo sleep to quickly. in the books they enter cryo everytime they travel for a while.

But I could see the symbolism. And yes if that is how Bungie is aiming, we did definitely skip to the ruthless post ressurrection Christ with Master Chief. And maybe is first firing of the rings was his sacrifice

interesting indeed.

Good point Mattacus

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 28 April 2007 - 02:10 PM.

#62 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

That is a good point, but I kind of get the feeling that, maybe on some subjects (Like that of the "Quick thaw") discussion. Maybe we're going too deep. I mean, I still think that when the Master Chief is awoken by the the Pillar of Autumn crew, and they say "Sorry for the quick thaw Master Cheif." they just had to wake him out of cryo sleep very fast due to the unannounced Covenant boarding. It even says on the computer moniter "Priority Alpha". (Granted I will give it to you that is also say "Unseal the hushed casket." I just, I don't know, just seems like somethings just really don't have any special meaning, they just are what they are. Oh well it's all my oppinion.

Heres the video of the the intro Pillar of Atumun Intro Incase anyone wanted it. You have to love the foreshadowing of "Gods own anti-son of a bitch machine."

Edited by Nightshade, 28 April 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#63 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

That is a good point, but I kind of get the feeling that, maybe on some subjects (Like that of the "Quick thaw") discussion. Maybe we're going too deep. I mean, I still think that when the Master Chief is awoken by the the Pillar of Autumn crew, and they say "Sorry for the quick thaw Master Cheif." they just had to wake him out of cryo sleep very fast due to the unannounced Covenant boarding. It even says on the computer moniter "Priority Alpha". (Granted I will give it to you that is also say "Unseal the hushed casket." I just, I don't know, just seems like somethings just really don't have any special meaning, they just are what they are. Oh well it's all my oppinion.

Heres the video of the the intro Pillar of Atumun Intro Incase anyone wanted it. You have to love the foreshadowing of "Gods own anti-son of a bitch machine."

It seems like your argument proves too much. "Sorry for the quick thaw" isn't a direct reference to the raising of the dead. As I was reading it, it was more of a symbol (like how when that one kid is killed on the beach in Lord of the Flies at night because they think he's the "beast," he didn't really die to atone for their sins, yet he's still considered that book's Christ figure). But when you bring up points like "Unseal the hushed casket," and "Priority Alpha" (Christ often refers to Himself as the Alpha and Omega, The Beginning and the End), it leans more heavily, if not dispositively, toward the veracity of the Resurrection metaphor.

Edited by mattacus, 28 April 2007 - 02:58 PM.

#64 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Eh, seems my idea backfired. I guess watching the NFL draft and trying to hold a valid point was a bad idea.. But good anyway.

#65 Poe Ghostal

Poe Ghostal
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:34 AM

One thing that occurred to me--if Bungie did decide to bring the remaining Spartans into the story, the novels have set it up well, because as far as the Chief knows, the remaining Spartans could be anywhere--the last he'd heard, they were on Earth, and may be dead. Meaning he's in a position to think he's the last of the Spartans, just like the set-up in the original Halo game manual; so that if the Spartans do show up, the casual players won't be confused because they haven't read the novels. If the Chief enters the Ark and runs into the Spartans, he can say, "OMG! Some of the other Spartans made it!" or something to that effect, and that's that.

It's not as if there's no precedent for this kind of thing in the games--remember Cortana's discovery of Marines on High Charity? "Wait a minute! I'm reading Marine IFF transponders! The signals are originating somewhere below your position." To say nothing of all the dead Marines and UNSC weapons deep inside Alpha Halo.

#66 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

One thing that occurred to me--if Bungie did decide to bring the remaining Spartans into the story, the novels have set it up well, because as far as the Chief knows, the remaining Spartans could be anywhere--the last he'd heard, they were on Earth, and may be dead. Meaning he's in a position to think he's the last of the Spartans, just like the set-up in the original Halo game manual; so that if the Spartans do show up, the casual players won't be confused because they haven't read the novels. If the Chief enters the Ark and runs into the Spartans, he can say, "OMG! Some of the other Spartans made it!" or something to that effect, and that's that.

It's not as if there's no precedent for this kind of thing in the games--remember Cortana's discovery of Marines on High Charity? "Wait a minute! I'm reading Marine IFF transponders! The signals are originating somewhere below your position." To say nothing of all the dead Marines and UNSC weapons deep inside Alpha Halo.

True. They could do a Spartan re-uniting without it being confusing for anyone not reading the books. They would have to just leave Dr. Halsey out of it.

#67 Poe Ghostal

Poe Ghostal
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

True. They could do a Spartan re-uniting without it being confusing for anyone not reading the books. They would have to just leave Dr. Halsey out of it.

Crap--I forgot about Halsey. And CPO Mendez. And the Spartan-IIIs...well...who knows. They could always just stick Gray Company in there.

#68 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

No new Spartans. I think that the Chief may meet up with them VERY late in the game, hopefully setting the stage for Halo 4.

#69 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

No new Spartans. I think that the Chief may meet up with them VERY late in the game, hopefully setting the stage for Halo 4.

Your joking... right??? :mellow:

#70 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

Well, the story page (H3.com) DID only mention S-II's, and John's "generation", so that throws the possibility of S-III's in Halo 3 completely up into the air. Anything is fair game, at this point.

#71 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Yes I was kidding, but I highly doubt that they will introduce the other Spartan 2's. Maybe put in Spartan 3's, but I'm highly doubtful of that. Although Ghosts of Onyx was a New York Times best-seller....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq