• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

http://www.gamesindu...pencer-part-one

Q: So with the Age franchise, there's a strong echo of Halo, in that it's something you retain the rights to - you just don't need to own the company that's working on it?

Phil Spencer: Well, there's more than one team building Halo games right now. There are more than two or three teams building Halo things right now. Some of them we will own, some of them we won't. It's never been, for me, about who you own or don't own - it's about working with the best creative talent in the industry.

#42 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Kotaku: Ryan Payton to head up new Halo game

Our very reliable sources tell us that Payton has been hired by Microsoft to be the creative director on the upcoming, and still not dead, Peter Jackson Halo game.

The news, very reliable news, comes weeks after we broke the news that Gearbox Director of Technology Corrinne Yu had been hired by Microsoft Game Studios to be Principle Engine Architect for Microsoft's Halo Franchise Team.

Rumor had it at the time that Yu and her husband, Kenneth Scott were both joining Microsoft Game Studios. Scott is an art director at id Software.

Payton, assistant producer on Metal Gear Solid 4, has been credited with spearheading a more Western approach to controls for Metal Gear Solid 4, making the game far more approachable and much tighter than the previous installment. He also helped warm the MGS4 team up to more Western developed games like Gears of War as well.

#43 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:46 PM

While that sounds cool, I don't think he'll be working on the Peter Jackson project like Kotaku seem to think. So I'm calling fake there. Mainly because of this:

I went back home to my family's place in Washington state and literally three weeks after MGS4 launched we were hit with some pretty heavy news concerning my mom. I don't think I need to go into details, but all of this has reminded me about how important family is. So this past month I decided to leave Kojima Productions and look to continue my career working closer to my family in North America.

Source: http://kotaku.com/50...s-mentions-mgs5

And this:

Microsoft on Wednesday announced that it will be creating a new video game studio in collaboration with "Lord of the Rings" and "King Kong" director Peter Jackson.

The studio, which will be called Wingnut Interactive, will be a joint partnership between Microsoft Game Studios and its subsidiary studio, Bungie. It will work on the creation of a new title in the hit "Halo" series of games.

Wingnut Interactive will be based in New Zealand

Source: http://news.cnet.com..._3-6120230.html

I believe Wingnut are working pretty closely with Bungie on Halo Chronicles, so maybe he could go work at Bungie. But that Kotaku story specifically said Microsoft hired him.

Edit: Sounds quite possible he's gonna go work for this cool new internal Halo team and not working on Chronicles at all..

Edited by UHYVE, 16 September 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#44 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

Wingnut and Bungie are not working together at all on Chronicles.

#45 Domino Theory

Domino Theory
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

I'm really hoping whatever Halo game we get next, that its story will revolve around events that happened behind the scenes during the Halo trilogy. Or more specifically, a game centered around one or more of the Halo novels. Those kinds of storytelling portrayed in the novels are the most mysterious because they raise the questions we want answered: "Who is the gravemind, what does he want, why is here?" "Where are the Forerunners?" and so on.

#46 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:37 AM

Am I a purist or do I just see the Halo universe slowly being dragged down and damned to stupidity by forever more incompetent writers/developers/corner cutters? At least MS has Frankie there to keep things in somewhat working order but with MS licensing the game out to other developers I see Halo eventually dying a slow and horrendous death later on down the line...

#47 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

Am I a purist or do I just see the Halo universe slowly being dragged down and damned to stupidity by forever more incompetent writers/developers/corner cutters? At least MS has Frankie there to keep things in somewhat working order but with MS licensing the game out to other developers I see Halo eventually dying a slow and horrendous death later on down the line...

This course was set many years ago. It was inevitable. Consider some examples.

Rocky 5 and 6
Matrix 2 and 3
Star Wars 1 and 2 (4 and 5 in production order)
Jerry Rice

It is just human nature to take something that excels and run with it until all you have left is a copyright and a lot of cash.

#48 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

This course was set many years ago. It was inevitable. Consider some examples.

Rocky 5 and 6
Matrix 2 and 3
Star Wars 1 and 2 (4 and 5 in production order)
Jerry Rice

It is just human nature to take something that excels and run with it until all you have left is a copyright and a lot of cash.

Quantum Field Theory

#49 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Am I a purist or do I just see the Halo universe slowly being dragged down and damned to stupidity by forever more incompetent writers/developers/corner cutters?

Purist? Nah, you're a pessimist.

#50 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

Posted Image

#51 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image

Thats game fuel dude, not the dilution of a series. It marketing genius really. Can't you just see somebody going into 7-Eleven, grabing this bottle and then being like, "this beverage is awesome, and whats this Halo 3, I must buy it."

Edited by txlonghorn, 17 September 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#52 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thats game fuel dude, not the dilution of a series. It marketing genius really. Can't you just see somebody going into 7-Eleven, grab this bottle and then be like, "this beverage is awesome, and whats this Halo 3, I must buy it."

I don't know about you, but Game Fuel would've made me stay away from anything with the Halo name on it, mostly because it actually tasted like fuel.

#53 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

Thats game fuel dude, not the dilution of a series. It marketing genius really. Can't you just see somebody going into 7-Eleven, grabing this bottle and then being like, "this beverage is awesome, and whats this Halo 3, I must buy it."

Yes it is. It's crystal clear proof of the death of a franchise. Or the technical term from Microsoft, "We will whore this bitch out, and we don't care to who."

#54 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Purist? Nah, you're a pessimist.

Ah, thats the word I was looking for. :thumbsup:

#55 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Yes it is. It's crystal clear proof of the death of a franchise. Or the technical term from Microsoft, "We will whore this bitch out, and we don't care to who."

Microsoft would never say that. They'd say, "and we don't care to whom."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3: ODST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq