Photo

Identity of Halo: Single player or multiplayer?

Halo: CE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Identity of Halo: Single player or multiplayer? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you consider to be the primary component of the Halo franchise's brand identity?

1. Single Player campaign (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Multiplayer (10 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Halo obviously has two major components, both of which have been a large part of the franchise's success. Of the two, which do you feel is more integral to Halo's identity? This is something that may have changed over the course of the series and obviously this poll/thread isn't scientific, but I would like to hear your input.

#2 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Halo was the reason why people brought Xbox's over to their friends house. Halo 2 was the game that most people were playing when it came to Xbox Live. It set the standards of what a multiplayer game should be, at least on the console. Companies were still playing catchup on making that fun multiplayer experience even when Xbox 360 came out up until Call of Duty 4 came out.

I say multiplayer.

#3 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Obviously, Halo, as a game, started out being Campaign-focused. I think the multiplayer was kind of a fluke, but once the multiplayer (unexpectedly) exploded, Halo, as a brand, quickly shifted to being more multiplayer-focused. Lots of people love m cheif and cortona and the Halo universe, which is great, but anyone with the slightest inkling of a brain cell knows that Halo has been such a strong brand for this long because of the multiplayer.

#4 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

Multiplayer made Halo what it is today.

#5 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

Derp. Virtual couch, no question. I've played the campaign of every game except Halo 2 before even touching the multiplayer (co-op for all but ODST and 2), but the majority of each game's value for me has come from multiplayer. Also, I've probably spent more hours on a LAN with Halo 1 than Dax has spent choosing the wrong side of every argument (AR vs BR, Campaign-only remake) and I think we all know that's saying something.

#6 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

To me, I identify more with the campaign side. It's the fiction that forged Halo's identify. It's not some army war game or any number of the faceless FPS's which have come and gone, it's Halo. As Blaze pointed out, multiplayer wasn't as integral to Halo when it launched. After reading up on how multiplayer was almost cut from the game and how basically two dudes single handedly brought multiplayer back from extinction, it's obvious that the multiplayer's popularity was more of a stroke of luck that it actually turned out so well (more from having the gameplay from campaign intact and less from the original, lazily designed maps). Halo 2 is pretty much responsible for modern online console gaming. That last generation game pretty much defined this current generation in terms of player expectations and the online console experience, so it's impossible to discount multiplayer's greater contribution to the franchise's success. You also cannot ignore the fact that Halo has always let you campaign with a buddy. That is multiplayer by definition and it's one of the most respectable achievements of the series. Most games can't even touch the thrilling ride co-op Campaign delivers and has delivered from day one with CE. Multiplayer is the cement that binds the bricks together though and Halo as a franchise, as a brand, needs both. Like Luke (?) stated in one of the early Reach Vidocs, "You come for the campaign, stay for the multiplayer".

#7 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

I voted Campaign for the reasons Dani mentioned. I totally see the argument for multiplayer though.

#8 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

When your average person thinks of a popular shooter, odds are they think of the multiplayer first. The fact that multiplayer is what has defined gaming in society's eyes does not mean that it's what defines the game itself. Really it's a shame that that's the first thing people associate a game's name with, since the campaign is where the message is... where all the art and creativity really comes out (barring forge). Campaign is what counts and defines Halo to me. To the mindless consumer society however, multiplayer is where all the fun is had. So, I have no doubt that multiplayer will remain the most voted for, but I don't think it should ever really be a question. Campaign is what counts.
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#9 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

This absolutely.
I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: CE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq