• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

Welcome to the Fitness Thread of Ascendant Justice. This thread will contain all fitness and health related issues. I myself am an avid workout enthusiast and part time health junkie. I am also an aspiring physician whom has both taken health/medicine related classes and completed an internship at a hospital. So if you have any questions pertaining to fitness or health, feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer any question asked of me.

Nutrition:

First off, we will start with the first basic foundation of fitness. Nutrition. The saying is that abs are made in the kitchen, and it could not be more true. You want to lose weight? Watch your diet. You want to put on muscle? Watch your diet. And never forget to stay hydrated. Drink as much water as you can.

- Muscle Gain:

If you are wishing to put on lean muscle weight, the trick is to up your calorific intake. Now I?m not saying go to McDonalds, what I?m saying is you need a diet filled with high protein foods (Steak, chicken, tuna, ect.) and the not essential, but definitely helpful protein shake.

- Protein Shakes:

Protein shakes are extremely helpful. Not only will they help you put on muscle faster, but it also helps your muscles recover making them less sore and more capable of constant hard exertion. Mainly what you want to look for in a protein shake is that is contains ?Whey Protein?. Most of protein shakes do, but it depends on the amount that it contains, and you?re going to want the most concentrated dose possible. I have used two types faithfully, both the ?Syntha 6? product from BSN, which is what I currently use. And ?100% Gold Standard Whey? which I know many of my friends praise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As far as taste goes, the general rule is that if it tastes awful, it?s great for you. But in the case of Syntha 6, there is an exception. It is very smooth and drinkable and the taste while not desirable is tolerable. As for the regiment for taking protein shakes, what I do is I take one in the morning when I wake up, one for lunch, one with dinner, and then one right after workout. This is actually quite essential because what you put into your body up to 30 minutes after a workout is almost immediately absorbed, so making it muscle mending protein will massively decrease your soreness, and fatigue the next day. This is why you should also be very wary of what you eat post workout, you should try to not eat at least for an hour post workout because if it?s something unhealthy you can damn near cancel out your whole workout for that day.

- Weight Loss:

Let me start this off by saying, NO, THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT. It?s going to suck, and it?s going to be hard, but if you want results, you need hard work. When trying to lose weight I recommend cutting out protein shakes for the time being, in general protein shakes are very high in calories as they should be for proper muscle gain. During weight loss though, you want to take in the basic number of calories you need so that you can live normally, and still only lose the bare minimum of muscle. The bad thing about cutting weight is muscle will shed much faster than fat, so anyone whom thinks they are doing a good job by not eating anything for a few days?. YOU?RE AN IDIOT. The key here is keeping your metabolism running. Eat six smaller meals through out the day instead of three squares.

- Calorie Intake:

As for calorie intake, you can find damn near anywhere at a gym, on the internet, ECT. I use this one personally. And for me it has worked so far. The main thing about cutting your calorie intake is your body is use to being overfull, it?s going to think it requires more food than it really does for a little bit due to habit. Once you beat this, you got it licked. It?s easy street from then on in.

- The Diet Itself:

Dieting really only takes common sense. I think we all know regardless of how good a double baconnator or Chipotle sounds, it?s going to crush your diet. Vegetables like celery, green peppers, onions, cucumbers, carrots, cauliflower all great for you and low in calories. Something I like to do personally is taking all these items and put them on a salad, yet another great and good tasting diet food with one catch. You can?t be like all the fat girls who think they are losing weight by eating a salad when they have so much dressing on it it?s damn near soup.
Dressing as delectable as it is, is terrible for you. Use it sparingly, and use a low fat dressing for better results. I suggest low fat Italian dressing, in most cases is not that bad tasting. Fruits are also a great alternative. Eating healthy to lose weight is pretty much a no brainier, with a little common sense you can easily figure out what?s okay, and what is not.

As for things that are bad for you, the list goes on and on. But I shall name a few that people seem to think are alright foods, but really are not.

- Bread:

No. Pretty much any bread besides 100% whole wheat is horrible for you.

- Sweets:

Posted Image

- Cheese:

See above.

- Pop (Soda, ECT.):

Pop is AWFUL for you; I recommend not drinking it at all to be honest. And don?t think that diet pop is any better for you, it is still bad. Especially on your teeth. Hell, if you?re having a hard time dieting, just cutting pop out of your diet for water will significantly decrease your weight over time.

Cardio:

Man I can not stress cardiovascular work enough. You want to lose weight fast? Well run fatty run. Cardio will help you immensely. As for running programs I recommend doing explosive workouts like HIIT, short sprints, hill sprints, Burpees, jogging, just to name a few. If you?re using a machine, the worst kind of cardio, you want to keep your heart rate near 150.
I find that with running exercises many people get bored and tired, myself included. You can remedy this with things like HIIT and sprints; you focus on the recovery and sprinting more than you do the constant scenery.
What I do for cardio usually includes going to my old high school track and jogging a lap, then sprinting the straights and jogging the curves for a set of 10. Then I do some hill sprints, which are great exertion exercises and leg strength.

Weight Lifting (EXTRMEEEEEE):

I loves me some weight lifting. Weight lifting is always a great idea to pair with cardio. You will burn more calories, and the change of scenery will keep you more focused than just running. You should always do weight lifting BEFORE cardio though. As cardio will make you more fatigued and there for unable to do your regular weight set.
In order to do weightlifting, you don?t even need to get a membership to a gym. But I highly recommend it, I mean I guess if you can?t you could always dead lift your wife/girlfriend and bench press your kid or something. But then again you could also buy equipment. On that note, buy free weights, machines = bad. Machines are fine but only in moderation. Why? Because machines are isolators, which if you only used to work out, you would built no stabilizers. What that means is if on a machine you can press 300 pounds, that great. You ever get a 300 pound persons ass on you, you can?t push him off because the weight isn?t equally distributed like on a machine. Free weights = superior in every way.
Another mistake is people who come into the gym everyday to get dem some bitch? biceps for tha ladiez and just does bicep curls and abs everyday think he will get huge. WRONG. You do not work out the same muscle the day after you just did. It will hurt your progress, your (Insert muscle name here) will not get bigger faster than someone who waits a day, and in fact it will go slower. And on top of that, you have to workout your whole body; otherwise you will end up with huge biceps and tiny legs, or massive lats and tiny pecs. And you will look weird and people will laugh at you.

- LIFT?N:

Weight lifting is awesome, you look better, you feel better from the endorphins released, and best of all girls will let you touch their boobies if you have muscles. (Bewb touching may vary.) But you have to remember that your body is not perfect and it needs recovery time. You can?t be extreme everyday but that does not mean you can?t get a work out in. Take for example my schedule.

Monday ? Lift
Tuesday ? Cardio
Wednesday ? Lift
Thursday ? Cardio
Friday ? Lift
Saturday ? Off
Sunday ? Off

This gives my body recovery time, and I still get a fairly consistent workout during the week. As for repetitions (Reps) I am currently doing 3 sets of 8 reps per lift with increasing weight each set. Doing 3x5 reps will allow you to do more weight and will get you stronger, and doing 3x10 reps will get you more muscle mass. So I?m meeting them both half way.

This section usually brings a lot of questions so feel free to ask me anything on the matter.

- Supplements:

Need the extra boost? Then try some supplements. No I?m not talking roids, and if you even consider them you?re a complete idiot and should consider playing Major League Baseball.
I?m talking creatine. Creatine while not necessary by any means, people were still getting ripped prior to supplements, do help. In my experience with taking them, you will see small gains faster, you will be more focused on your exercise when it?s in your system, and it will give you energy. As for any side effects, it can in some people make you more irritable while it is in your system.
I have used quite a few and the more notable ones for me would be:

NO-Xplode

Posted Image

NanoVapor

Posted Image

XL Evol (My favorite)

Posted Image

Frequently Asked Questions:

?Dear Nightshade,
I want six pack abs. How many crunches should I do so I can has abs plz? My current weight is 350 and I?m 5?1.
Your pal, Marcus
?

No. Better be doing some cardio fatty because you can?t take fat off a certain area. How many people with six pack abs have man-bewbs? None. Your body decides where fat comes off, not you. And by doing cardio, you speed up that process.

?Dear Nightshade,
Will I live longer if I exercise?
Love, Keith Dudemiester
?

Yes. You will live longer and better. Not to mention in older age you will be far better off. Why tell kids to get off of your lawn when you can throw the little bastards off?

?Hey Nightshade,
I?m new to this whole gym thing. What should I wear when I got there?
Your Friend, Mike Hawk
?

You can pretty much wear whatever you want. I prefer basketball shorts and a shirt, sleeves optional. One thing I recommend though is a pair of compression shorts; they keep your junk in place and prevent that lovely taint rash you can get.
But don?t be like the asshole at my gym that likes to wear them without pants/shorts over them. No one wants to see your penis. Also, I highly suggest not dressing like this guy.

"Nightshade!,
I love to play Dance Dance Revolution and Wii Fit! Can I use these as alternatives for cardio?
Your amigo, Asian kid from The Goonies
."

No. Thinking this is just dumb. Fitness is not easy. It is not fun. If it was, it would be called fun. Not fitness.

Epilogue:
Alright so that?s all I can think of at the moment. If you have any questions at all regarding health or fitness feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Edited by Nightshade, 04 July 2008 - 10:11 PM.

#2 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

Nightshade you're right about a lot of this stuff, but I have a feeling that most of the people here won't want to become serious weightlifters and wrestlers. Your advice is geared more for the sort of person who wants to impress people with their body, and a lot of people who are overweight or close to it would rather just be happy with their body.

So I want to add that the most important thing is the routine. If you can hit the gym or do any sort of exercise activity regularly, you'll find it hard not to be fit. The routine, establishing the habit, is the single hardest part of losing weight. Once you have that, adding to the routine bit by bit, by adding protein shakes, a better diet, etc, is much easier.

There's a lot of snake oil on the market though, because body chemistry is not yet an exact science. The advice proffered by Nightshade is good, but the reasons why may differ or be unexplained. (I only saw one mistake in a "this is good for you because" manner, anyway. It's good for you, yes, but the reason why is off.)

Anyway, establishing a routine on a daily basis is your first step.

(Edit, clarified something.)

Edited by Anpheus, 05 July 2008 - 12:51 AM.

#3 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:09 AM

Your advice is geared more for the sort of person who wants to impress people with their body...

Or people who don't want to continue to depress people with their own body, which, since this is a video game forum, probably represents about 95% of the population. ;)

Bravo on the thread, Nightshade. I'm going to grab some of your research here and bring it with me to GNC next time I go...and I may have some questions a little later. I run 3-4 miles every other day and do lifts and crunches in between, so a lot of this stuff is really going to be awesome for me. Thanks.

#4 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Awesome topic, Nightshade. Since you've covered pretty much everything on the weight lifting and diet fronts, I'll just add this little nugget:

Posted Image

Amazon Link

While it's not "The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution!" that it says it is, this little book can do leagues to help you eat healthier whenever you're going out to eat, grabbing a quick drink/coffee, going grocery shopping, and even buying booze! There's about 70 restaurants listed with 3-4 entr?es each that you should and should not eat. For example, let's take a look at what it says about Chipotle:

Eat This: Chicken Burrito Bowl w/ lettuce, black beans, green tomatillo salsa, and sour cream (489 calories, 22g fat, 1,006 mg sodium) NOTE: Fucking delicious
Not That: Chicken Burrito w/ black beans, rice, green tomatillo salsa, cheese, and sour cream (1,092 calories, 44g fat, 2,323 mg sodium)

Along with menu suggestions, the margins contain little snippets about the restaurant and other little things you can do at said restaurant to cut out the bad stuff while still enjoying some good eatin'. Along with chain restaurants, it has a section for how to decide what to eat at more formal places, plus all the other sections I listed earlier and a lot more. This was written by the Chief Editor of Men'sHealth magazine, so this guy knows his stuff. I highly recommend anybody looking to shed a few pounds to pick this up the next time they're at a bookstore. It's a nice little aid to your diet.

Edited by Kinetic, 05 July 2008 - 12:48 PM.

#5 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

I wouldn't advise anyone to take supplements, unless you have a degrees in physical fitness/nutrition. I've heard these taken combinations can result in physical problems and even death. I would also add how important it is to stretch your entire body if you are going to be doing resistance training regularly. I had a number of books on stretching, and took the best of all of them into a 30 minute routine I would do twice a day when I was hardcore back in the day. Right now I'm just running 4 miles every other day, doing pushups (I live perfect pushups - no more wrist pain), and eating 'better', after a long layoff. Good topic/thread though!

#6 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Nightshade you're right about a lot of this stuff, but I have a feeling that most of the people here won't want to become serious weightlifters and wrestlers. Your advice is geared more for the sort of person who wants to impress people with their body, and a lot of people who are overweight or close to it would rather just be happy with their body.

I'm neither a "Serious weightlifter or a wrestler". And what it boils down to is when people want to get in better shape; they do want to attract/impress other people do they not? I mean, I don't know a single person who would rather be "okay" looking compared to "awesome" looking.

This is also why I am allowing any and all questions which I stated multiple times. I never said that all that needs to be said in this thread is my original post. I'm letting others use it as a guide to base their questions off of. So that I can attempt to help people who want my help seeing as how in this current situation I am the most knowledgeable. on the subject matter.

EDIT: As for the supplement taking, all supplements are tested by the FDA prior to their distribution. I'm not telling anyone to take anything under the counter here. And I know many people myself included that have used it for years without any physical problems or death.

As for stretching, you are very correct. You should always stretch before and after any rough physical exertion.

Edited by Nightshade, 05 July 2008 - 03:44 PM.

#7 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:48 PM

Nice topic Shade. I've just started working out regularlly this summer. But, I've been in Florida for a week and probally gained 10 pounds. :) I usually do 200-300 crunches, 50 perfect pushups (god I hate those things compared to real ones), as many normal pushups as I can do, then I ride on a bike for 25 minutes, then I swim for 20-30 minutes. The bike is a machine in the house, but I am trying to jog more often than ride the thing. I'm just so lazy, I like to ride the bike and watch South Park all at the same time. I lift weights with the baseball team 3-4 times a week at the school gym. I also have a two hour practice and then a 3 hour game afterwards. Any suggestions on the workout? I still eat like a starving pig, but I feel better.

#8 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

I lift weights with the baseball team 3-4 times a week at the school gym. I also have a two hour practice and then a 3 hour game afterwards.

I hope not. You really should not have a practice or weightlifting prior a game.

#9 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

^^Tell that to my damn coach. My whole summer is wasted because I have baseball 24/7. School rules say we cant do anything on Sunday though, so I get that day off. My body is sore all over when I wake up each morning.

#10 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

Good idea Nightshade! I can't wait until Sub sees this thread - he's a beast in the weight room
Spoiler
. NOXplod - A lot of the guys on my team swear by it, so I'll probably give it a try this summer. Protein shakes - I use Isopur Chocolate; I throw some frozen berries (instead of ice), some bananas, and some 2% milk into the blender and it's great. Compression shorts - are a necessity. I lol'd when you posted that, though. General diet - I'm trying to eat 5000 calories a day right now, in order to put on 5 to 10 pounds for next season. I'm one of the lighter guys on my team, so I'm trying to bulk up a bit while still maintaining my speed and quickness. Routine - 3/4 lifts a week, 2/3 cardio a week, summer league on Saturdays and shooting/stickwork every day that I can find the time. Goals - Anpheus was spot on with the routine thing, but goals are just as important. Set goals and hold yourself accountable. Visualize success and how great it will be when you reach your goal. Then, when you reach it, set another one. Easy as that. I like to have a short term goal and a "big picture" visualization of what I'm working towards. Right now, my short term goals all have to do with increasing rep counts in key exercises (see fitness testing, below) and my "big picture" that I reach for on the difficult reps and sets is the first quarter of the first game of next season, against a team that beat us in double overtime last season. Fitness testing - Our team's standards: Bench - 10 reps at body wt; Squat - 7 reps at 1.5x body wt; Power clean - 3 reps at body wt; Dead Lift - 3 reps at 2x body wt; Pull-ups - 15 reps; Dips - 25 reps; 2x 300 yd shuttle - 58 seconds each rep, 5 minute rest in between; 1.5 mile - 9:45; Agility dot test (hard to explain - it's just a quickness drill) - 52 seconds Quickness/Cardio - I have a hard time motivating myself for things like 3 mile runs, but I love killing myself with shuttles, 60 and 40 yd sprints, jump roping, ladder drills, sleds, parachutes, etc. - all awesome. What's wrong with me, I wonder?

#11 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

Protein shakes - I use Isopur Chocolate; I throw some frozen berries (instead of ice), some bananas, and some 2% milk into the blender and it's great.

Compression shorts - are a necessity. I lol'd when you posted that, though.

Quickness/Cardio - I have a hard time motivating myself for things like 3 mile runs, but I love killing myself with shuttles, 60 and 40 yd sprints, jump roping, ladder drills, sleds, parachutes, etc. - all awesome. What's wrong with me, I wonder?

1) Too much work. I'm sure it tastes great but I?m far too lazy.

2) Its no joke, crotch rot sucks, but if you get it Gold Bond power will save you from hours of torment.

3) There is nothing better than pushing your body to the limit. It's like a natural high and you feel like a God after. Parachutes = awesome.

#12 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

2) Its no joke, crotch rot sucks, but if you get it Gold Bond power will save you from hours of torment.

Gentlemen, a good way to avoid crotch rot is to bathe when you smell like shit. The first step to bathing when you smell like shit is to be aware that you smell like shit. When I was in highschool, the daughter of one of the joint chiefs of staff (an admiral of the Navy Reserves, I think) had a crush on me. Once, while messing around in the shed in their back yard, I stumbled on this ninja training manual. I don't know whether ninjas actually wrote it, but it had some badass stuff in there. One of the lessons was on heightening the senses. It started with smell. You wake up every morning and you spend some time with your eyes closed identifying all the smells around you. Throughout the day, you close your eyes and tune in. Pretty soon, you're aware of when things smell like shit way ahead of everyone else. And that should give you advance notice to take a damn bath before your beans and frank start rotting off, you sweaty bastard.

3) There is nothing better than pushing your body to the limit. It's like a natural high and you feel like a God after. Parachutes = awesome.

parachute pants[/] = [i]double awesome

Edited by mattacus, 06 July 2008 - 04:28 AM.

#13 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

Good info in this thread

There are 1000 different "experts" in this field that will all tell you something different, so I don't see a right and wrong for the most part, but a couple of things to keep in mind. I am mostly just elaborating on a couple topics nightshade already touched on.

Doing just biceps not only looks stupid but can really mess up your posture and can cause some chiropractic problems. You need balance, if you hit biceps, you need to hit your triceps also. For every bench press you do, you also need to work your back. Quads with hamstrings/butt. You get the idea.

The general rule for sets/reps is, the more reps you are doing each set, you will get a leaner, more cut look. While adding more weight and doing fewer reps will add bulk and power. The difference is caused by some very scientific shit that has to do with you muscle working with and without oxygen, anaerobic or aerobic I think. A lineman should work out differently than a wide receiver, and a lacrosse future star should work out differently than an accountant. On the larger muscles, chest, quads, butt and back, I like 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps. Then on the secondary muscles, 18-20 reps. Nightshade was right on with machines and the stabilizers.

I like doing about 10 minutes of cardio before I hit the weights. Just to get the blood going, but I have an office job so I am pretty sedentary throughout the day. For a more active person I can see this not being necessary.

A couple of things though, I am about to turn 26, I know I am not the oldest person on this forum, so I wanted this to be said. Running is really tough on your body. If you have access to a track, and some high quality shoes, some of the impact is lessoned, but I would not recommend this be your only source of cardio. Swimming is awesome, but I hate it so much, too much to actually do it. As gay as it feels, the elliptical machines are zero impact machines that monitor your heart rate and are a great supplement to running. Everybody is different, but my body just hurts if I try to run more than 2 days in a week. Cardio is something you can do every day, you don't need the day recovery like with other workouts.

Could you go over your HIIT program a little more in depth? The extent of my running is jogging, adding some sprints could really help break up the monotony, but I hadn't even considered sprinting in probably 5 years. So weird to think I haven't run as fast as I can in that long.

Good nutrition site is, www.nutritiondata.com, there is a lot more to nutrition than just protein, carbs and fats. Broccoli and spinach are 2 awesome vegetables. Eating well is easier than you think, you just get in a habit of eating bad things, where it is just as easy to eat good things. Like instead of eating some cheezits in between class, eat some raw almonds. They are delicious and you actually feel kind of full after a handful. You just have to reflect on things you eat that aren't meals, your snacks, and think about exchanging shit processed food for quality. You can actually eat more than you currently are and lose weight. Having it easy and accessible is also important, leaving a grapefruit in the fridge at work or in your locker, so you aren't going out of your way to eat healthy. When you are hungry, you will tend to go with what is easy and convenient. I like to buy about 2 pounds of chicken, grill all of it and then eat it throughout the week. It is the easiest and most convenient thing in my fridge so I just eat it when I'm bored or starving. Eating well takes planning, when you are hungry you are the weakest, and more likely give in to impulse decisions. You can't count on yourself to eat the right thing if you wait to decide what to eat when you are hungry.

If you are really trying to get strong, cell-tech, made by muscle tech is incredible. It is a creatine supplement, so do not use if you are in season, it can dehydrate you and cause cramps if you are sweating a lot for an extended period of time, 1+ hours. But if you are looking to really get stronger and add bulk, this is it. I would not recommend creatine in any other supplement, you will literally just piss most of it out if you do not take it the right way with the right supplemental vitamins and minerals. This is really only for someone like nightshade that needs a lot of quick, explosive power, football plays are typically 3-4 seconds.

For the rest of us, www.organicfrog.com, has really great supplements. The men?s formula has a little more protein than the original as well as some things for prostate health. Everyone should be taking something like this 2-4 times a week. There are too many carcinogens in our life today to think that diet alone will keep you healthy, that is my unprofessional, google and npr educated opinion.

#14 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

Could you go over your HIIT program a little more in depth? The extent of my running is jogging, adding some sprints could really help break up the monotony, but I hadn't even considered sprinting in probably 5 years. So weird to think I haven't run as fast as I can in that long.

HIIT is basically just jogging for a short period of time. Then going balls to the wall full on sprint like you?re about to die, and repeat. Here is the chat I use.

For those of you inexperienced with it. It's going to blow your mind.

#15 SCHULTZ

SCHULTZ
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

I am about to turn 26, I know I am not the oldest person on this forum, so I wanted this to be said. Running is really tough on your body. Everybody is different, but my body just hurts if I try to run more than 2 days in a week. Cardio is something you can do every day, you don't need the day recovery like with other workouts.

I'm 41, and it's been a rough lesson that I can't suddenly pick up running everyday like I could when I was very active. I got popping hip pain (what, no shinsplints?) So I've had to gradually increase my mileage while resting every other/two days. During May I had to take off 3 weeks, because I pushed myself too far. I've seen plenty of people in the MA who destroyed their bodies by overtraining, and knew I had to slow down. I'm just now able to run every other day, and listening to my body closely. I would like to be able to run every morning during the weekdays, eventually building up to some easy marathons for fun.

#16 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:12 PM

HIIT is basically just jogging for a short period of time. Then going balls to the wall full on sprint like you?re about to die, and repeat. Here is the chat I use.

For those of you inexperienced with it. It's going to blow your mind.

How often do you run HIITs? Every other day? They look pretty interesting and I may start doing that. I may look sorta weird sprinting around my neighborhood though. ;)

#17 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

How often do you run HIITs? Every other day? They look pretty interesting and I may start doing that. I may look sorta weird sprinting around my neighborhood though. ;)

I do. But you have to take into account that I am probably in better shape than you are. I would test your boundaries before you jump in. Especially since you're "Sore everyday" because you shouldn't be. The soreness comes from lactic acid being broken down. And it usually is done after a first few weeks of training and occasionally after a tough game.

Also, who edited the title? Sad Face...

Edited by Nightshade, 06 July 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#18 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Little known fact: You always hear that you should stretch before your workout or after a bit of a warmup, but, when they actually tested that, they found that stretching before or during your workout actually increases the likelihood of injury. I'm dead serious. If you think I'm wrong, show me your science to back you up (and, no, your highschool football coach doesn't count). I tried it out. Instead of stretching, I'd just run my muscles through the range of motion required by the particular workout as a warm up. Back when I stretched before running, when I was doing maybe one or two miles a week, I was having all sorts of trouble with my shins. But ever since I stopped stretching before or during the workout, my shins are just fine. In fact, the only time I ever have soreness is when I've gone for a long time without working out and then overdo it.

#19 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

Little known fact: You always hear that you should stretch before your workout or after a bit of a warmup, but, when they actually tested that, they found that stretching before or during your workout actually increases the likelihood of injury. I'm dead serious. If you think I'm wrong, show me your science to back you up (and, no, your highschool football coach doesn't count).

There's a difference between stretching and stretching the right way. Proper technique is the difference between having your ligaments and tissues prepared to work and pulling a hamstring or something mid-lift. Unless I stretch before working out, I feel very tight because my body wasn't given the pre "buffs tiem lolz" routine, thus resulting in a poor quality work out. And in my special case, it's either stretch my surgically remade ACL/ankle tendons or feel the same pains I felt when I first tore the motherfuckers, but even then I have to limit the amount of strain I put on them.

#20 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:42 AM

Well, apparently, your injuries have made you a bit of a freak. But for the rest of us, stretching before running causes injuries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq