• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

I know we've got a few big tourney fans here, so I thought it would be a good time to make a topic where we can discuss it a bit. Maybe we can fill out our brackets and have a little contest going here too (winner gets to decide all the losers' sig for a month, lol). Anyway, I'm expecting a great tournament this year, because it seems like a lot of teams are really good, and I don't see one team that's that dominant this year. So, let's see what you think.

#2 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

'Twas a weird season for WVU. A bunch of great wins over very good teams (at Villanova, at UCLA, Georgetown twice, at Oklahoma, and a few others) and some bad losses. (Marshall, Kentucky) Some days they looked they could take down anybody, others it looked like a Division 12 team could beat us. But we still pulled out a 20 win season, good enough for me. Tonight at 9:30 is WVU vs. sPitt in the Big East quarterfinals. Good fucking God do I hate the Pussy Panthers. It's like OSU-Michigan. You can't fathom how much we as WVU fans hate Pitt unless you're one of us. No matter the outcome Pitt still sucks, so tell them so at every opportunity. When playing in the tournament of the greatest BBall conference in the nation, expect every game to be like 'Cuse's sick win over UConn. The Orange are very scary now. I have a full confidence that they're in the big dance now. However, I still think UConn's going to win it all. Or Villanova. Maybe Memphis. Fuck Dook.

#3 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

BYU ftw. Seriously, BYU may get in, but they might have to win the Mountain West tournament. They've also had a 20 win season, but the Mountain West isn't exactly the Big East. GMAC isn't overrated or underrated, he's just rated. Hopefully they'll rebroadcast that game, because I'd like to see it. Yeah, WV has been an interesting team to watch this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run in the big dance though. Duke has proven that it's not mentally strong enough to be the champs, so I would be shocked if they pulled off a trip to the final four. I'm thinking UConn's looking good, and I'm kind of interested to see how that young UNC team fares. PS I might try and get tickets to go see Gonzaga in Salt Lake City. It might be cool to see Morrison play. WVU might be coming to Salt Lake as well, so I may have to check that out. EDIT: Nevermind, they're already sold out. If BYU would have hosted it, there would have been enough space to go. F**k UofU.

#4 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

Stock rising:
UNC
Syracuse

Stock falling:
George Washington (not that it was ever that high)
Duke

The champ this year will be from the Big East, I have no doubt. Nova and Conn are both stacked, primed, and ready. Big Ten and ACC are both very good conferences, the Pac 10 has some good schools but they rarely ever account for anything in the tourney these days, but the Big East OWNS basketball. End of story.

Let me address a few issues right now:
1) J.J. Redick is an amazing basketball player. He is also a bitch. A whiny, immature bitch. He is anything but a team leader. Any time Duke has faced any difficulty this year, he's been so quick to point the finger, at teammates, refs, anyone but himself.

During the Duke-UNC game, J.J. went ice cold, which is fine. His teammates worked through it and carried him back into position, at one point going on an unbelievable 8-0 run in something like 51 seconds. It was sick - I hate Duke and it had me on my feet cheering, that's how amazingly his teammates played, rebounding J.J.'s misses, dumping it to Shelden or hitting Dockery for clutch threes. These teammates that all season he's been bitching at had brought him all the way back, putting him in position to do what superstars are supposed to do. Find ways to win games. Didn't happen. End of story.

Have a great time in the NBA, J.J., you'll make plenty of money, but that burning emptiness you'll feel, that will be your inability to win the NCAA championship. You shoot the lights out, you can even dribble and play defense now, too bad you were a terrible teammate.

(P.S. Shelden Williams is a sick player - ugh, so many triple doubles, too bad his partner in crime is hitting rock bottom at the worst possible time)

P.P.S. UNC looked unbelievable in that game- they could be a force in the tourney, that's for sure.

2) Gerry McNamara wins basketball games. Period. End of story. He is the exact mold that any basketball coach would tell you is the ideal basketball player. Heart. Hustle. Work ethic. Clutch. And, boy, can he stroke the threes. He's more streaky from beyond the arc than J.J., but it's funny how GMac's streaks seem to come at times when his team needs them the most.

Vanwadilion, you couldn't be more wrong. Syracuse papers published quotes from a few Big East assistant coaches insinuating that GMac was overrated. Sports Illustrated released a wrap-up issue last week, where they listed the opinions of players in each conference. Most overrated for the Big East: Gerry McNamara (tied with Rudy Gay of UConn, each with 27 percent of the votes). And I quote: "People said he'd be the conference player of the year, but he hasn't shown me anything." I will now refer you to the Syracuse roster- GMac is joined on this team by only one other senior (who happens to be Matt Gorman, a tall goofy white kid who never played before this year and who is averaging barely 10 minutes a game this year). This is a young team, and the rest of the Big East teams know it. Every defensive scheme the 'Cuse has faced has been designed specifically to stop GMac. "Let the young guys beat us" is the mantra, and so far this season they haven't.

But Gerry is the heart and soul of this team. He is a scrappy bastard, hustling on defense and after loose balls, he is a smart, gutsy player who picks apart defenses with unbelievable passing, and he makes big shots when it counts. (Exhibit A: 2003. The Orange win a Championship. Gerry starts as a freshmen and hits ridiculous shots whenever the team needs them, practically on command.) Gerry took the remarks personally. That guy has given his heart and soul for four years to this program, and he has to go out to that kind of criticism? Fuck that. Gerry has stepped his game up to another level this week- he doesn't want his season to end with a trip to the NIT. I've never seen a clinic like the one he put on today. He does more than shoot the 3-ball - the game tape from today should be shown to all aspiring point guards. He was that good at ballhandling and running the offense, both out of set plays and in transition.

You know who else was pissed off by the press? Jim Boeheim, in my opinion, one of the greatest coaches of all time. I hope everyone got to see his reaction when asked whether GMac is overrated- "Let me tell you something. Without Gerry, we wouldn't have won 10 fucking games this year. Not 10 games..." Coach Boeheim doesn't cuss at the press, he doesn't get fired up like that, except when his team really needs it in the huddle. He believes in GMac, and he considers him one of the best players that's ever played for him, high praise considering that Coach Boeheim's tenure as head coach started in 1976.

The Orange that played today were unlike the team I've crucified myself to watch all year, as they've lost big game after big game, usually by large margins. The big men were fired up dunking all over people, the guards were quick and scrappy, especially on D, and they finally started playing as a team. I was in heaven. If the Orange keep playing like this, they WILL make noise at the Big Dance. I'm stoked.

3) Gonzaga is worthless. Actually, so is most of the West Coast, but you guys have awesome beaches, and I love your music scene, so keep up the good work in those areas...

P.S. I also hope you've all seen that video of the kid with autism lighting up the gym when his coach put him in to thank him for being a dedicated manager for four years - I fucking love sports...

#5 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, that was cool. He'll probably be rich now too, because it sounds like all the major studios were all over his story to turn it into a movie, so he ought to get a good chunck of change for that. I hadn't heard all that about GMAC, all I know is that each year his shooting percentage has gone down, but then again he's had worst teams each year it seems like. As 'Cuse mentioned he draws most of the attention anwyay, so that makes it hard to shoot. The guy's definitely clutch though, and it looks like he's peaking at a good time. I would love to see Syracuse go far in the tourney; I guess we're likely to see that now thanks to GMAC. PS I love their coach, even before he made that statement, but he's one of the best coaches in the NCAA imo. I'd like to see Tennessee have a good run too, they've played kind of off and on this season, so hopefully they'll have a good performance.

#6 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

Fuck. sPitt won, but even in our defeat they still suck.

#7 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, I watched a good chunk of that game. WVU gave it away, but the refs didn't help things much. Screw Pitt.

#8 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

Wow, nice job Syracuse. They seem to be a team of destiny, I just hope this all continues in the big dance. BYU lost to freaking Utah in the Mountain West Conference tournament, so they're probably not going to the dance. After wathing Duke almost lose to Miami, I honestly think that team would be better off without Redick. Their offense has to revolve around him so much that it hurts the team. They need to get the ball to Sheldon Williams more, bottom line, and when Redick is constantly chucking up 3's, it really seems to hurt the team.

#9 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:45 AM

I want the 'Cuse to give armPitt the pounding of their lives in the finals.

#10 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

And Syracuse wins it. Haha, anybody but Pittsburgh. That's all that matters to me right now, because sPitt got every break in the world: Gansey getting hurt in the quarterfinals, Krauser taking out Ray Allan's eye in the semis, and a bunch of favorable calls. It's 10:22 PM and Pitt still sucks. Thank you Syracuse. The Orange are an easy Sweet 16 team IMO. EDIT: Wow, on our own Syracuse's birthday too. Imagine that.

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

the gator-gamecocks game was so close at the end. crazy shit.

#12 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

The Duke-BC game was fantastic, too. When that BC guy ran downcourt and hit a 3 pointer on the run to put them within 1 with like 10 seconds left, I couldn't control myself, I stood up and just yelled out "I FUCKING LOVE COLLEGE BASKETBALL!" It's okay, the people in my dorm are used to me by now I think...

#13 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:23 PM

Redick finally showed he has some semblance of a spine in that game. Selections are coming out in about an hour, there shouldn't be too much controversy this year, but you never know.

#14 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

GMac is definitely not overrated, I've always known he's a bad muthafucka but everyone blew this whole shit out of proportion. Just a few people whispered some shit about him being overrated and they're fuckin actin like he gets no respect. Please, everyone likes to play that "I don't get no respect !" card it's fuckin old. You think JJ is a bitch, GMac and Jimmy need to let that shit go already. The best thing Jim Boheim could have done is just say "it's so ridiculous I'm not even gonnna comment on it, just look at his performance especially today", instead the asshole gets all bent out of shape and gives credibility to the whisperin bitches. I wouldn't say Big East is the best conference, Big Ten has: Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State all really stand out schools in an extremely difficult conference. I would call them equal. Go Illini!

#15 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^lololololololol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#16 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,061 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

Tennessee got a f'n 2 seed, boys... #2 seed... after dropping 4 of their last 6. Lost @ Bama by 14. They lost to Arkansas by 4, Kentucky by 2, both at home (both were painful). Beat Vandy by 9 @ Vandy after being down by 16 in the 2nd half. Lost to S. Carolina by 8 in a game not even that close. But they played a tough ass schedule. They scheduled a bunch of mid-majors that were picked to win their conference, like Western Kentucky (beat them by 30) and South Alabama. They beat all of them, beat Texas on their court by 17 points, and had Memphis tied on their court with 2 minutes left before losing by 9 (with the help of some questionable calls). Hell, I'm just happy that we'll get UNC in the Sweet 16, because we had them beat 6 years ago. Our HC at the time (Jerry Green), didn't realize Brendan Haywood picked up his 4th foul with 8 minutes to go, and us up by 8 points. They didn't attack, and when asked during the postgame, he flat out said, "I didn't know he had 4." Ed Cota went ballistic in that game, en route to leading the 8 seed Tar Heels to a Final Four appearance. Greg Marshall and Winthrop will be a tough out, but neither they, Wichita State, nor Seton Hall has the inside presence needed to beat us. We play 6'4" point guard Dane Bradshaw at the 4 spot, because he's not quick enough to guard the 3 spot, and our 6'7" forward, Andre Patterson, isn't strong enough to guard the 4 spot. Oh, and Bradshaw... He's got a torn tendon in his wrist. The tendon that holds the hand and the arm together. He's putting off surgery until after the season, because he didn't want to miss any time. He's not going to play pro ball anywhere, and he wants to play every single game of his UT career. That's the kind of heart this team has.

#17 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

Ivan, I'm not even going to dignify your statement with a rebuttal... the bracket, the season, the results, the teams... they all speak for themselves.

#18 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

The brackets don't speak for themselves. Syracuse deserves to be high seeded, Duke most definitly doesn't deserve to be number one overall. I just hate all the fuckin whining on behalf of Syracuse, especially the coach. I was rooting for them, now I hope GMac chokes and they lose.

#19 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

You can have whatever opinion you want about Gerry McNamara. I don't care. I was talking about your statement that the Big Ten is the best basketball conference. Don't make me laugh- in the tourney we have: 6 Big Ten teams (2 of which are Wisconsin and Indiana, who won't make it past the first round, the highest seeded of which is Ohio State at 2); 8 Big East teams, including 2 number 1 seeds (last week, Conn and Nova were 1 and 2 in the nation respectively. Are you serious when you say that the Big Ten can compete with the likes of that? Please.... even the weakest Big East team in the tourney should make it out of the first round, because Seton Hall is matched up against Wichita State.) Illinois won't make it past the second round. They're going to get rocked by a more athletic University of Washington team. It's too bad, too, because Dee Brown is a cool guy, and ivanjrn's going to be cranky for a while afterwards....

#20 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Dem's fightin' words ya'll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq