Drew's Content

There have been 46 items by Drew (Search limited from 17-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#9257554 WRUP?

Posted by Drew on 27 December 2017 - 01:48 PM in Gaming

It will shock no one that I've been playing absolute schlock for most of the year.

Sans Zelda (~300 hours) and Mario (50 hours), I've spent most of my time on Warframe (~80 hours - but I'm done with it, needed something to prevent myself from caving and getting Destiny and this did just that) and FFXIV (500+ hours at last count - this game is actually amazing if you're into MMOs, it's super casual and lets you tackle whatever, whenever - it is the perfect game for me at this point in my life). I just can't be arsed getting into a hardcore game anymore, so this casual shit is the best. I play a lot of ports/emulators on my phone as well during my commute, but otherwise it has been a pretty unremarkable year for me. I still play Halo with my brother every now and then, we will hang out and beat a couple of titles in the MCC - the only thing it's good for anymore, unfortunately.

Standouts not mentioned above include MYST (I've lost track of how many times I've completed this one) and Stardew Valley as well.

#9257553 Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi

Posted by Drew on 27 December 2017 - 01:42 PM in Off-Topic

Lot of questionable scenes, but it was an absolute stunner visually. Can't say I'm disappointed - I came for the spectacle and I got SPECTACLE.

Saw it in IMAX 3D and my wife got us perfect seats (literally in the exact middle). I had a great time overall.

#9257499 Battlefront 2

Posted by Drew on 22 November 2017 - 12:10 PM in Gaming

EA may have done us all a favor and finally tipped the boat on loot boxes as Chris Lee, a Democrat from Hawaii, is launching a state investigation into predatory practices in gaming.

It's been a long time coming and I think the mix of a property like Star Wars, the overstepping of EA's progression design, and just some good ol' fashion Internet mobbing finally started to get the attention of people outside the industry.

It's about fucking time.

Purge the industry of its rot and start over, please.

#9257494 Battlefront 2

Posted by Drew on 20 November 2017 - 07:39 AM in Gaming

That TV is what you want. It's the best on the market right now for OLEDs.

Also... that house, for that price...

I'm just gonna kill myself. The places my wife and I are looking at will require a down payment of at least that much.

#9257469 gaf meltdown

Posted by Drew on 26 October 2017 - 07:05 AM in Gaming

I was using Fidelity before and their fees were insane - an "account maintenance" fee that they levied every three months that I never would have noticed had I not kept close tabs on my account is just one example. Dropped them and moved everything to Vanguard, no fees whatsoever outside of the day trading fee (which you really shouldn't be doing anyway) and the expense ratios on the funds themselves. They waive your yearly fee if you go for paperless statements which is what I prefer anyway. It's amazing.

#9257467 gaf meltdown

Posted by Drew on 26 October 2017 - 05:53 AM in Gaming

According to the grapevine, registration should open for everyone before next week. We'll see - the launch has been very smooth so far though. I think there are a handful of major invite waves left and then the doors will be opened for everyone.

Just curious, what did they generally recommend in the retirement/401k/investment thread? Any particular strategy or types of funds that stood out?

Buy low cost index funds through a major broker - you want the lowest cost fund you can find in terms of expense ratios. There's a stellar podcast by Freakonomics that covers the topic well, and features an interview with Jack Bogel (among others) in an attempt to explain the philosophy.

Never pay for an investment adviser (a financial adviser is OK if you are juggling a lot of assets like multiple rental properties, but I would typically say it's probably worth it to hire a management company and a tax guy instead - be wary of investment advice no matter where it comes from, most good information is available online for free).

I have dumped all of my non-pension savings into cascading Roth IRA, 403b, and a taxable Vanguard account - all purchase VANG INST INDEX PLUS (a whole-market index) with 100% of my contributions and re-invest the earnings into the shares of the same fund. My YoY RoI is sitting at close to 19%...

#9257461 m cheifs cumpilation

Posted by Drew on 24 October 2017 - 10:58 AM in Original Trilogy

With a solid PC port that has server browser support for each online portion of the game, all sins will be forgiven.

Let it be known.

#9257460 Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi

Posted by Drew on 24 October 2017 - 10:56 AM in Off-Topic

I should probably buy my tickets...

#9257459 Destiny 2

Posted by Drew on 24 October 2017 - 10:55 AM in Gaming

Bungie decided to truncate the endgame in the name of appeasing casuals - are we really that surprised?

That said, it's not like I have any right to open my non-committal mouth so w/e.

#9257458 gaf meltdown

Posted by Drew on 24 October 2017 - 10:53 AM in Gaming

Pretty hilarious the knee-jerk reaction is to shut down the OT like that's going to be the silver bullet that makes his problem goes away.

Very annoying to me because there was a lot of good resources there, like the Retirement/401k/Investment thread and the home buying OT. I also lurked in the board game OT and some other ones.

Oh well, not going to miss the site outside of the OT threads which were typically second only to Reddit/wikis for information about certain topics.

#9257391 Destiny 2

Posted by Drew on 14 September 2017 - 06:01 PM in Gaming

Everyone is on PS4, then?

#9257371 Halo Online

Posted by Drew on 08 September 2017 - 07:22 AM in Ancillary Games

This looks amazing, honestly. The MCC for PC we never got. I'll download this over the weekend.

#9257354 Destiny 2 Beta

Posted by Drew on 25 July 2017 - 09:25 AM in Gaming

I've gone ahead and cancelled my preorder. I think I'll wait for launch week impressions before I decide whether or not to pull the trigger on it. I really want to get the game at some point to complete the campaign, but I'm thinking a purchase when it's got a complete edition on PC sometime down the line would probably be the smartest call.

#9257352 Destiny 2 Beta

Posted by Drew on 20 July 2017 - 03:15 PM in Gaming

I have other complaints as well, though... Primarily it has to do with the pace of combat and movement in general. It's slow... like, really slow. I feel encumbered, especially as a Titan. It could be a function of the horrible FoV (there's a slider on PC, why not on consoles?) and me misremebering, but it feels much slower than the first game, even when sprinting. Close combat is awkward, I think mainly due to the FoV.

In general, combat feels clunky and unintuitive, a major step back from the first game which was rock solid (in my opinion). It was snappy, responsive, and most importantly, a ton of fun. I am not feeling that way about the second entry at all. It feels like a chore to play. The lack of feedback when landing crits especially could be contributing to this feeling, I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I really miss the explosive pop and prominent oil explosion when you headshot the Cabal - critical hit feedback seems to have been toned down in general. This is compounded by the fact that they are the primary enemy now, so I imagine we will be seeing a lot of them over the course of the campaign.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by Overwatch which is pretty much perfect in terms of its gameplay mechanics. It is fast, responsive, and hit feedback is absolutely stellar. I have other, serious grievances with the game as a whole, but the gameplay is at or near the top of modern FPS (followed closely by Battlefield 1, but that is not a fair comparison to Destiny given the vast differences in the type of games they are).

I will continue giving it time over the next few days, and I am hoping that it clicks at some point. I love that there seems to be a stronger focus on the story this time, and I am incredibly impressed by the visuals - Bungie's art team has outdone themselves once again. There are a lot of things to like, but if the gameplay is not there, I'm not sure that I can get on board.

#9257350 Destiny 2 Beta

Posted by Drew on 20 July 2017 - 09:59 AM in Gaming

Cuse is articulating my complaints. The ability cooldowns, in particular, are fucking horrible - this includes supers. There is little variation between the classes as it is, but with the excruciatingly long cooldowns, they might as well be the same outside of their movement abilities.

Everything feels sluggish and unresponsive. I'm going to play some more today but I'm really thinking about cancelling my preorder and just picking up the PC version sometime down the line.

#9257348 Destiny 2 Beta

Posted by Drew on 19 July 2017 - 03:46 PM in Gaming

I am not feeling this at all... It's fucking gorgeous, but it doesn't have much else going for it.

Maybe it's the selection of weapons we're given to start with, but this just hasn't clicked like the first one yet.

#9257340 Destiny 2 Beta

Posted by Drew on 16 July 2017 - 08:45 AM in Gaming

I preordered (for now) so I'll be playing on Tuesday.

#9257339 Nintendo Switch

Posted by Drew on 16 July 2017 - 08:44 AM in Gaming

I played it for about 90 minutes.  Fell off the tower, now I have this annoying R.I.P. marker on the map.  I hate games that track deaths.

To address this point, it is only temporary - and it shows only your most recent death (as far as I can tell, the game only keeps track of your most recent death). In some situations it was actually kind of nice, especially before I had unveiled the entire map.

#9257319 Are we back to not talking about anything?

Posted by Drew on 11 July 2017 - 01:00 PM in Off-Topic

I'm waffling on Destiny 2 at this point....... I'm trying to justify the Pro bundle but damn it's tough with how little time I have right now....

(who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it anyway)

PSN: DrewMcDuffy

#9257318 Nintendo Switch

Posted by Drew on 11 July 2017 - 12:58 PM in Gaming

YEAH BABY

It's awesome. Download the Splatoon demo and rent ARMS if possible to at least check it out (It's a blast in local play and cooperative online mode).

#9257312 Speedruns

Posted by Drew on 03 July 2017 - 12:46 PM in Original Trilogy

God, the Twitch player is such a piece of shit. I have to watch it in the mobile app to get around the terrible slowdown.

That aside, great run so far. Thanks for this, bb gurl.

#9257307 m cheifs cumpilation

Posted by Drew on 27 June 2017 - 04:11 PM in Original Trilogy

Well, see ya'll on Halo in November, then.

#9257306 Are we back to not talking about anything?

Posted by Drew on 27 June 2017 - 04:10 PM in Off-Topic

Due to some happy circumstances, my schedule will be changing in August and I'll have a lot more free time available in the evenings...

I miss you guys.

#9257299 E3

Posted by Drew on 24 June 2017 - 03:05 PM in Gaming

Guys, help me.  I'm doing that thing again.

That thing where I get excited for Call of Duty.  I haven't played a game of COD since Advanced Warfare.  I completely skipped Blops 3 and peaced out on Infinite due to the MWR debacle.

But this WW2 game with its new War mode looks like a heck of a time.

Somebody tell me that Activision is doing Supply Drops and that whole mess, and I'll be unable to care about CoD once more.

Details about the Headquarters mode:

http://www.eurogamer...rafts-orgrimmar

• Michael Condrey really loved going to Orgrimmar in World of Warcraft, and given the growing popularity of towns in shooters, thought it would be a good thing to add to Call of Duty.
  • The town contains 48 players at a time.
  • The town has a bunch of quest givers who give you missions. These include the recruitment officer, the challenge officer, and the division officer.
  • These missions range from one time things like "create your first emblem" to daily challenges.
  • There are also social quests that just try to get you in various missions like "go play 1v1" or "go play Nazi Zombies".
  • All of these quests give you various rewards.
  • The town has a firing range that all 48 players can participate in at once if they like.
  • There's also a 1v1 dueling pit in town to emulate the idea of having duels in an MMO town.
  • You can talk with other people in town via voice chat, quick chat, or "era-appropriate emotes".
  • There's a new commendation system that feeds into a social score. You can give commendations for anything ranging from being a good player to being friendly to having a cool emblem.
  • Having a high social score will reward you with things like new gear pieces, new title cards, or medals among other things. I think this segment also implies your social score displays prominently somewhere or something similar.
  • They're hoping that the social score is another thing for players to tie their identity to instead of just their k/d ratio.
  • There's an in-game mail system where the game mails you various rewards as part of an effort to send you to the town. This helps get you into the social community more and also causes you to pick up your dailies and etc.
  • There's also a grouping mechanic in town to help you find groups you might like to play with. You can send out a town-wide notification if you, for example, have two people and want some more partners to go play zombies.
  • The Prestige system also takes place in town. Instead of going to a menu to prestige, you go to some kind of stage in the town where a general awards you and the entire hub gets to see you prestige.
  • They're also considering seasonal events for the town. For example, there might be VE Day festivities.
  • It sounds like they're still considering additional things for this mode in general.

#9257297 m cheifs cumpilation

Posted by Drew on 23 June 2017 - 05:27 PM in Original Trilogy

Does anyone have an Xbone still?

I was thinking about getting the XbX if you guys still have one/plus LIVE. Is it even worth it for MCC MP anymore? I haven't attempted to play for years now (since my Xbone was stolen).

IPB Skin By Virteq