• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

#21 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, cause we all need the "complex calculations" to be performed on an external server.

It's totally possible that eventually the developers will learn to use the hardware to it's full potential and that they can supplement the xbox one by doing some of the computations in the cloud. BUT, they better be able to deliver on this and show a noticeable difference. This will be a stupid gimmick if they can't show an amazing difference.

#22 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

A few points:
  • I'm surprised M$ even needs to consider this used games thing, they seem intent on pissing millions of people off.
  • Requiring internet access to play games offline is equally as stupid. How ignorant can you be to the markets outside of the US without decent internet infrastructure?
  • No backwards compatibility. I don't know or care what kind of technological challenge this is but without it this new box is like buying into an entirely different gaming ecosystem. The only continuity is my overpriced gold subscription.
  • They expect this to be the only box in the living room. Nope. Looks like I will be needing my 360 for legacy games anyway, and it has no tuner/DVR so a separate cable box is still required for live TV.
  • The name is a massive anti-climax. I've already owned an Xbox one. Xbox Infinity/Infinite would have been cool.
  • Menus/multitasking/app-switching with no lag is great. This is the only thing that impressed me.
  • The presentation was as I expected, targeted to the masses.
  • Some of the business choices they appear to have made are outrageous and I'm yet to see a really compelling reason to upgrade. That said, E3 is around the corner, so maybe the games will save it.

XBL: Nuvalari

#23 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

I'm so tired of people bitching about b/c. NO ONE USES IT. The only benefit to having b/c is to extend the life of your previous console. Playing PS2 games on the PS3 that were released after PS3 came out was great. That's not MS' goal. In fact, I'd say they'd be pretty fine with the 360 dying as quickly as possible.

#24 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Wow. This thread is tl;dr, but from skimming it and watching about a minute and a half of the X1 presentation (which looked sharp enough to have been put together by the deific hands of Vanwadn00bian himself, but otherwise totally lacking in content), I can confirm that I am as excited for the new console as I am for [insert some boring retread, like a rom-com]. In fact, I am more excited to be able to deduct mortgage interest on next years tax return. For real. Other than the controller, this has nothing I want. Currently, 90% of my xbox's time is split between my daughter watching disney dvds and episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on Netflix. That other 10%, I'm gaming. But more and more, I'm playing xbox games on my pc. Even games I have already purchased, I'm paying a few bucks more for a higher-res version and using a wired controller I bought specifically for my computer. For gaming experiences that I can't get on pc or mac, I'm looking more and more to Sony's consoles as a desirable purchase. I'm still on my first PS2 (And my first wii, for that matter). But I'm on my fifth xbox 360. I even had to crack open my original xbox to solder it back to life at one point (thanks for the help on that, Major Hayes). What I'm saying is I pay $60 a year for something I use less and less for gaming. My one-yr old chews on my old controllers more than I game with them. Another console that accesses Netflix for free (heck, even tvs are doing that nowadays) and gives me unique gaming experiences, means there may not be any room in my life for another xbox for a long time.

#25 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yes, JC. Because none of us were playing Halo 2 on the Xbox 360 when the console released.

#26 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yes, JC. Because none of us were playing Halo 2 on the Xbox 360 when the console released.

That was for like 2 mins. I'm with JC on this one, BC is the most high profile feature that no one uses.

#27 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

BC was invented for Halo 1 and only Halo 1.

#28 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

While I don't particularly care about BC (it'd be a nice space saving feature) I wouldn't be surprised if the - for lack of a better term - 'iPhone generation' are completely shocked by the lack of it. They're used to buying content, building up their virtual library and carrying that library across multiple devices, generation after generation. I've already seen people asking whether or not PSN/XBLA games will work on the next gen consoles after hearing the 'no backwards compatibility' news, because they're already so used to the idea of digital content transcending the boundaries of generation.

#29 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

There is a business case for BC in that it encourages brand loyalty. I've got a ridiculous collection of 360 games that I do want to play, eventually. Buying into a new generation though, I now have one less reason to stick with Microsoft. And don't tell me you never went back to an old game like MGS on PS1 and played through it again on a more recent console. Exclusively playing just the newest shit and ignoring the golden oldies is boring. Some people like to reminisce. Also, if 360 XBLA games don't work on the One, that's just down right lazy. The game store will be fragmented with hundreds of pre-One games which don't work and a handful that do. Having a big game catalogue for a new console is a huge selling point, no?
XBL: Nuvalari

#30 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Congratulations. You found, literally, the only example of 360 B/C that was worth a damn, and was also given up when H3 came out.

#31 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

And don't tell me you never went back to an old game like MGS on PS1 and played through it again on a more recent console. Exclusively playing just the newest shit and ignoring the golden oldies is boring. Some people like to reminisce.

The closest I've come to that scenario is FINISHING FFXII on my PS3 instead of my PS2. I don't replay games. I have 2 kids and a job that keeps me busy. I don't have the time to sink in 40+ hours into a game I played 15 years ago.

I played the first few levels of Halo 1 when it was on Christmas sale for $5.

That brings up another point. I have no problem paying $5 - $10 for an updated copy. I have FFIV and Tactics on my iPad, bought during a huge Squenix sale. I have emus for SNES ROMs on my Android devices. My PC collection is growing in leaps and bounds because of Steam sales. Even if I don't think I'll ever play Sleeping Dogs, it was worth giving $8 to the devs.

Console makers have to get their pricing figured out.

Old games via GoD are "on sale" for $40.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm done with console gaming for a few years, until the PS4 hits a price point where I buy it just to catch up on my series. I figure that'll be about $250.

#32 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

MCV: Kinect 2 will use Visual DRM

I can't, I can't, there's just... there's no way MS would do this. There is no sane person who could ever think that this is a good idea. So, why would they try this? It doesn't make sense. Everyone is at least alittle creeped out by a mandatory Kinect, why make the Kinect actually spy on them? I just, there's no way...

The good news: Microsoft have patented this! So nobody else will have this system... unless they licence it, or find a similar implementation.

Back to the topic of BC:

Also, if 360 XBLA games don't work on the One, that's just down right lazy. The game store will be fragmented with hundreds of pre-One games which don't work and a handful that do. Having a big game catalogue for a new console is a huge selling point, no?

There's no real reason why XBLA games would be more easy to emulate than disc based 360 games, they're exactly the same when it comes down to it. It's not really laziness, as I said before you just kind of expect it nowadays, it's very common for you to buy stuff on an online store (whether it's the app store or Steam) and for it to function on the next generation of hardware.

I actually think that MS and Sony have moved to a much more common architecture (x86) so that they could more easily support backwards compatibility in the future, allowing them to have a true Microsoft/SEN Store at some point. Unfortunately, emulating previous generation hardware is unrealistic at this point, due to the general difficulty of emulating different CPU architectures, so they're getting it out of the way now, rather than having backwards compatibility for this gen and suffering for it in the future.

Edited by UHYVE, 24 May 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#33 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

That was for like 2 mins. I'm with JC on this one, BC is the most high profile feature that no one uses.

Generalities are generally ridiculous (pun intended).

I'm not happy that my PS3 can't play PS2 games. It prevents me from playing FFXII and Silent Hill Origins without buying a PS2. There was a point in time where I had a whole list of PS2 games I wanted to play, but now I'm down to those two due to HD releases, and FFXII stands a good chance of getting an HD release. Origins though? With that half assed job they did on the Silent Hill HD Collection, I doubt we'll ever see another release of Origins.

Congratulations. You found, literally, the only example of 360 B/C that was worth a damn, and was also given up when H3 came out.

Oh really?
My girlfriend still plays Final Fantasy VIII on her PS2. She also wants me to play Kingdom Hearts, which is only possible because of an upcoming HD Collection without buying a PS2. I have library of Gamecube Classics, and only a handful of them were played on a Gamecube. I also have a library of PS1 games, and I have never owned a PS1. I actually bought a PS2 because it was a DVD player and could play Final Fantasy VII, otherwise I would've bought a PS1. My friend recently had to get a Win 7 32-bit machine so his wife could play Sim Tower, as the game will not work on a 64-bit machine.

And PS1/2 and Xbox Classics exist on the marketplace for a reason; the market exists. HD collections wouldn't exist either if people weren't interested in old software (albeit, those are updates). Used B/C PS3's with tiny hard drives were more expensive than new Slim PS3's specifically because of B/C (in fact, it was actually explained on Gamestop's website at one point).

I'm not trying to say that no B/C is unacceptable, I'm just trying to put things into perspective. Of all the features of a console, that's a pretty crucial one and saying it's "useless" or "largely unused" is silly. However, if B/C would drive the console costs up to PS3 launch levels, then it's probably not worth it (even if I could trade in my old console). The only advantage left is entertainment center space. This is important to some people (not me).

I'm agree that the new architecture is specifically to address several problems and future B/C is among them, the others being programming, cross platform programming, general development cost reduction, and hardware development cost reduction.

I have 2 kids and a job that keeps me busy. I don't have the time to sink in 40+ hours into a game I played 15 years ago.

Some people would love to, and do, in spite of their schedules.

Edited by Niterider, 24 May 2013 - 08:00 PM.

PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#34 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Ok so all you've done is basically say that because you yourself doesn't go back to play these games that no one does. Because you don't have the time to do so. You're wrong. Period.

I still have quite a few original Xbox games that I still plan on playing through including Shenmue 2 that the Xbox 360 does support. Hell man, I went back and re-bought the original PS3 so I can still have access to the PS2 and PS1 collection that I still have. Games that I still love to play, and others I need to beat as well. One of the reasons I bought the Wii U was so I could go back and be able to play games like Zelda Skyward Sword. So please don't give me that "BC isn't worth a damn" crap because that's a very baseless argument.

#35 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

Damn it's salty as fuck in here. Here's some adorable baby elephants playing in a pool to clam everyone down.

Posted Image

#36 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

So I thought the E3 conference went pretty well overall.
  • Right now, Titanfall is by far the most interesting thing about the Xbox One.
  • I did not expect m cheif to pop out of that jedi cloak. It was a pretty cool trailer, but why is it just called "Halo"? Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo PC, Halo: Custom Edition, Halo Anniversary, and now Halo. Confusing. 60 frames per second sounds fucking great, but I still have extremely low expectations from 343.
  • Witcher 3 looks fucking great.
  • Dark Souls II also looked great.
  • Livestreaming is a thing, which I am very happy about.
  • The game DVR (UploadStudio is a stupid name) is pretty cool, I guess, but it's only the last 30 seconds of footage.
  • Ryse has quicktime event combat that no one wants.
  • Microsoft: "We are of course dedicated to indie game support on the Xbox One." *shows Minecraft, the biggest, least-indie indie game in the world. "Ok, now back to AAA games."
  • In the Battlefield 4 universe, every single weapon has two scopes on it. Also, when will DICE realize that no one cares about Battlefield single player?
  • MGSV looked pretty great. Open world stealth interests me.
  • I hated Dead Rising, but I think I'll keep an eye on Dead Rising 3.
  • Phil Spencer changed his shirt midway through the press conference.
  • Insomniac's Sunman Overburst or whatever the fuck it's called could be interesting.
  • Free games for Xbox gold subscribers is finally a thing (Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 are coming first). They still haven't caught up to Sony's premium service though.
  • Killer Instinct -- I'm sure someone cares about this.
  • Forza's "Drivatar" is the dumbest made-up word ever.
I'm pretty surprised they kept their word and showed games nearly the entire time. It was also nice to not see a ton of Kinect and sports games for once. Unfortunately, their system is $500. Coupled with all the DRM policies, I can't see this going well for them. The conference was pretty good, but still not nearly enough to convince me that I want an Xbone, even as a person who has internet and doesn't rent or buy used games. Sony's conference is tonight, and I'm sure there will be plenty of impressive shit there (including a price below the Xbone's). Good luck, Microsoft.

#37 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Every game I want on the XBone I will be able to get on PC. I'm nowhere close to buying one even after today.

#38 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Well said, Blaze.

#39 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

So Titanfall is coming to 360 apparently. Could this be the return of the old gaming crew?

#40 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

So Titanfall is coming to 360 apparently. Could this be the return of the old gaming crew?

I might get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq