• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#1 Major Hayes

Major Hayes

Needler Master

• Veteran
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Staff: Post your forge creations here and link to images and file share data for the rest of the crew to check out...

In the last weekly update, Frankie talked about the Forge. It sounds like that's the 'map editor', or more like map customizer tool. Is there any more information about this tool? Will it come with the game, or is a purchased download?

It sounds like you won't be able to build maps, but be able to modify spawn locations and types?

#2 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

It's not a map editor. Well it is and it isin't. It allows you to customize just about everything besides the level. It ships with the game. There is information all over this forum, especially with the thread 'Cuse made.

Edited by Nightshade, 07 August 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#3 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

In the last weekly update, Frankie talked about the Forge. It sounds like that's the 'map editor', or more like map customizer tool. Is there any more information about this tool? Will it come with the game, or is a purchased download?

It sounds like you won't be able to build maps, but be able to modify spawn locations and types?

Hi Major.

Forge is a feature in Halo 3 that will ship with the game, on the disc. It has been talked about in several recent magazines.

You can go into any multiplayer map in this mode. While in this mode you can run around in the standard 1st person view (as a Spartan or Elite) or switch to a 3rd person view and fly around as a Monitor (like 343 Guilty Spark). You can freely switch back and forth between these two classes. You can also be killed in either class.

As a 1st person Spartan or Elite you play the game just like any other multiplayer map, at least, in terms of the options you have during gameplay.

A a Monitor you can bring up a menu and spawn any type of equipment, weapon, crate, vehicle etc. and place it where you like. You can also change some settings. For example, you could spawn a grav lift and change it's setting to "infinite" so it always remains there.

You can play with others who can act as friends or foes and you can have team games. An example of team play might be, say, if the opposing team has a monitor who creates a tank for his team of Spartans, you could fly over and delete that tank or just create one for your team to counter it.

One of the best parts of it for me is that you can alter maps by changing weapons, objects, spawn locations etc. and save these variants for you and your buddies to play on later. If you and your friends think there should be a Chopper instead of a Hog by waterfall base on Valhalla and a Rocket Launcher next to the Spartan Laser on the middle of the map, you simply change and save those settings.

Personally I have always wanted to see race based combat in Halo MP. Elites on one side and Spartans on the other with their own race themed bases, weapons and vehicles. I might not get that wish but at least I can make one side of a map all human objects and the other all Covenant, just for fun.

It's gonna be great.

Edited by Va1or, 07 August 2007 - 06:21 PM.

#4 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

Awesome post, Valor. Here's a few things that we know you'll be able to play with: - Player Spawns - Weapon Spawns - Equipment Spawns - Vehicle Spawns - Object Spawns - Objective Indicators/Locations - KotH/Oddball Locations - Race Markers - "Special Item" Spawns We also know that you'll be able to modify the spawn times of all the above objects (from instant to an unknown amount of time). Each item has a set "point" value, which, when placed, detracts from the total amount of points alloted to that particular map. The more complicated and detailed the item, the more points it costs. For example, a simple small box may cost 5 points, but a Warthog may cost 50 or 100. Those numbers are hypothetical, seeing as we don't have any specifics, but that's a general idea. Maps will have varying amounts of points assigned to them, depending on how much Bungie estimated the engine could handle. The most interesting of the above listed items is probably the "Special Items" class, which is said to include things such as teleporters and grav lifts. Going off this base, we can probably assume that other things will be included as well, like special props (maybe ramps or inanimate objects from campaign, like a downed Pelican, for example) or perhaps even AI pieces. This is basically the extent of our knowledge, but even given what we've been shown, the possibilities appear to be absolutely endless. Hoped this helped clear things up a little more.

#5 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

To put it simply, no one can ever complain about anything again. Yes you can't create a map but you can tweak the maps until you think it's perfect (until you start playing it a realize how hard balancing maps is) and then save it and use it in custom games. it's perfect for MLG to HIH users to the just plain lets just goof off users. It's Bungies way of saying, "hey we try to make things perfect but we can't please everyone, so we made a way to please everyone" and let me say.....they are now gods to me.

#6 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

If possible, I'm going to have every player spawn 300 meters above the ground, just because I can. Christ, I can't wait for this.

#7 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

To put it simply, no one can ever complain about anything again. Yes you can't create a map but you can tweak the maps until you think it's perfect (until you start playing it a realize how hard balancing maps is) and then save it and use it in custom games. it's perfect for MLG to HIH users to the just plain lets just goof off users. It's Bungies way of saying, "hey we try to make things perfect but we can't please everyone, so we made a way to please everyone" and let me say.....they are now gods to me.

That is the part that really sold me on Forge. You can combine the custom layouts and setups of Forge with the absurdly deep Custom Game options for literally infinite variety.

Something that I don't think is getting enough press is the bungie.net features. All of the files users put on their "Shared Files" list are viewable on bungie.net, and can be browsed. You can then flag ones that look cool, and they'll download automatically the next time you turn Halo 3 on. Then you can play them, and dive in to Forge or Custom Options to build off them from there. The community tools are just insane, and are going to set a new standard, I think.

Bungie am Gods, after this.

#8 Major Hayes

Major Hayes

Needler Master

• Veteran
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

While a lot of people have been saving that Halo 3 looks a lot like Halo 2, what they're not taking into account is that Bungie is striving to give us a Halo that we can mold and make into whatever we want, for the most part. How can you ever get bored of a game that you can tweak and mess around with at a whim? Geez, I can just see Halo 1 Blood Gultch Tank matches all over again. The endless games of 16 players with rockets and 8 tanks on the map... Do I remember right that Bungie said that custom game types and custom maps will be sharable between players? So if you make a cool game varient, I can just download it from you? It's going to cost me $400 just to be able to play Halo 3! It's going to be that worth it. (I read Syracuse022's thread, but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any more good stuff!)

#9 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

While a lot of people have been saving that Halo 3 looks a lot like Halo 2, what they're not taking into account is that Bungie is striving to give us a Halo that we can mold and make into whatever we want, for the most part.

How can you ever get bored of a game that you can tweak and mess around with at a whim? Geez, I can just see Halo 1 Blood Gultch Tank matches all over again. The endless games of 16 players with rockets and 8 tanks on the map...

Do I remember right that Bungie said that custom game types and custom maps will be sharable between players? So if you make a cool game varient, I can just download it from you?

It's going to cost me $400 just to be able to play Halo 3! It's going to be that worth it.

(I read Syracuse022's thread, but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any more good stuff!)

Yeah, read the post above your regarding file sharing. You can send your game variants and Forge creations to Friends, in addition to having your Shared Files public on Bungie.net. Bungie will also have a "Bungie Recommends" section highlighting excellent community creations.

#10 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

Yeah, read the post above your regarding file sharing. You can send your game variants and Forge creations to Friends, in addition to having your Shared Files public on Bungie.net. Bungie will also have a "Bungie Recommends" section highlighting excellent community creations.

As cool as all of this Forge stuff is, I think it's the fact that you can share it that really seals the deal. The emphasis that Bungie is putting on community is incredible, and I think that the whole idea of Bungie Recommends really shows that better than anything else. I'm extremely excited to see what comes of all of these community features. I can't imagine the things we'll be seeing mere days after launch. The whole prospect is just... mind blowing. How anybody couldn't be excited for this game is far and beyond me, because quite frankly, I think that Halo 3 is shaping up to be the single best game that I've ever played.

#11 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:45 PM

So, basically, we're never playing with Blaze again... "Guys, I've almost got this map just right..." *three days later* "Almost there, guys." *two weeks later* "OK, guys, join my game!" *join a game on Last Resort with crates stacked to the sky throughout the level, with very narrow pathways* "I call it 'Rat Race!'"

#12 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:40 AM

Well you can see where my thread about Bungie.net ended up. :confused: But it was the same way during Halo 2. They talked about the online features and nobody cared until they were able to see them all. I have a feeling come mid September when Bungie.net gets updated everyone will be playing around with the "useless" features until the game comes out. Then it will really take off. Tom over at Bungie said that the website is a higher priority than last time but most of the hardcore coding, artwork and stuff doesn't happen until the game goes gold, as evident with the making of disc in Halo 2.

#13 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:18 AM

Well you can see where my thread about Bungie.net ended up. :confused:

But it was the same way during Halo 2. They talked about the online features and nobody cared until they were able to see them all. I have a feeling come mid September when Bungie.net gets updated everyone will be playing around with the "useless" features until the game comes out. Then it will really take off. Tom over at Bungie said that the website is a higher priority than last time but most of the hardcore coding, artwork and stuff doesn't happen until the game goes gold, as evident with the making of disc in Halo 2.

I remember the Update after Halo 2 went gold, Frank said something similar - the work of coding how the site handles the game data and such was just ramping up then. I can't wait to see how deep the community features are there, I think we've just seen a small fraction of them.

#14 Supa Ben

Supa Ben
  • Veteran
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

We just recorded an entire special edition podcast on The Forge for release as soon as the online embargo is up (later this month). Tyson Green and Lars Bakken sat in with Stinkles and myself.

This sounds really promising.

#15 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

This sounds really promising.

LOL. Pwnt. We posted at the exact same time. But the forum put your post as more recent than mine. So... FIRST!

#16 Supa Ben

Supa Ben
  • Veteran
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

LOL. Pwnt. We posted at the exact same time. But the forum put your post as more recent than mine. So... FIRST!

Damn.

#17 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

Gametype: Silver Surfers At least two vs. two. One person on each team is a monitor. The monitor spawns a crate and his teamate hops on. Same for the other team. The monitor moves his teamate around by moving the crate he is on, the teamate cannot leave the crate. The Slayer match plays this way with both enemies fighting from flying crates that are being controlled by their teamates.

#18 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

Gametype: Silver Surfers

At least two vs. two.
One person on each team is a monitor. The monitor spawns a crate and his teamate hops on. Same for the other team.

The monitor moves his teamate around by moving the crate he is on, the teamate cannot leave the crate. The Slayer match plays this way with both enemies fighting from flying crates that are being controlled by their teamates.

Add in having all of the players have 'On Fire' effects turned on, and you have a win.

#19 txlonghorn

txlonghorn

Read a newspaper

• Veteran
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:23 AM

I guess I'm the only one, but Forge doesn't really do alot for me. It does sound cool, I just feel implementation will be more for shennanagry than for better gameplay.

#20 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

False. Black bears are the best kind of bear. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Say what you want, but the changes that MLG made to rulesets for Halo 2 have become:
1) well-adapted to the game's... erm... shortcomings
and
2) widespread

And BR starts are a hell of a game-changer when compared with SMG starts - remember the first few months of Halo 2? Now give those guys freedom to tweak everything from spawns to respawn timers to weapon layouts and player traits --- you really don't think they'll make this game better?

Edited by Syracuse022, 17 August 2007 - 08:36 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq