Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 RGxSIL3NTxSCRUB

RGxSIL3NTxSCRUB

Wait, you died?

• 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

I dont feel like wasting bullets on them so I always throw grenades on them. No big deal. They pose no threat at all.

On the last mission, when you are going down the corridor, just jump over all of them and then after they all explode, turn around and shoot them and they blow up (mostly).

#22 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

I definately agree with the consesus here. The Library is actually one of my favorite levels. I get mad when I play it and I have to stop for a few hours or risk breaking my Halo 1 disk but once I finish it I feel like I've accomplished something. I loved sitting around a corner and shooting all the flood coming at me, forming a grenade pile which I would use to obliterate the next wave. And when that failed and you started running backwards, combat forms leaping from afar into your shotgun barrel after which you pull out your AR to clean up the infection forms... I don't know, I guess Bungie didn't like that level so much. With the flood in 2 and 3 the battles were just... meh. It was cool fighting them with vehicles in 2 though, especially with the low gravity skull on (what was that called again? Sputnik?), shooting a rocket underneath a combat form's Ghost and watching it go flying halfway across the level = win. I think one of the best things about the flood in CE, even 2 to some extant, was that they were SCARY, in that I literally jumped at some points when flood would appear out of nowhere and whack me, bringing my shields down. Also you tended to fight them in a dark and moody environment. The swamp was a perfect setting for them, and when you were fighting them in High Charity in 2 it just got incredibly creepy, as you witnessed them progressively taking over the city and murdering everything in their path. In 3, however... the interiors were bright as day almost... Most of the time you could see all the way across every room, and you could simply pick off the flood from a distance and lob well-placed plasma and spike grenades when the pure forms became turrets. And I also agree with the flood being too "mushy." Sure a melee can break its bones, but cause it to fall apart? Especially after it has just infected its host, when its body should still be mostly undecayed? Not so believable. The flood just got progressively gayer each game.

#23 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:47 AM

I've got to say though, I sort of agree with the infection forms taking a backseat to the other flood forms, I never really enjoyed fight a room full of weird demonic little onions. I do however miss popping a carrier right in the middle of a huge number of combat forms, seems like that's not as common in H3

#24 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

A very good example of this would be the part after the first sentinels on the Maw. After clearing them out and the Flood they were fighting, you'd encounter a door that would bust open and Flood would literally pour out at you. I highly recommend that you play this part again. When you do, think about how it would be if there were no infection forms.

Everyone do this now.

I just played the Maw again and I can now say for certain Halo 1 Flood > Halo 3 Flood
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#25 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

I already knew that, Self. Halo CE has the best flood out of all the rest hands down. They are just scary as hell and awesome. They arnt annoying in the least.

#26 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

I love it when I find people who agree with me.

#27 Self Induced

Self Induced

• 739 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

I love it when I find people who agree with me.

Psh! You agreed with me way before I agreed with you!
(no shit)

#28 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

Seriously, get it right. Gosh. But I think this argument came up somewhere else, not sure where though.

#29 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Psh! You agreed with me way before I agreed with you!

Can't we just agree to agree?

#30 Self Induced

Self Induced

• 739 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

Can't we just agree to agree?

I agree.

EDIT: This was retarded.

Edited by Self Induced, 30 May 2008 - 01:57 PM.

(no shit)

#31 ZayneHumphrey

ZayneHumphrey
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

The flood just got progressively gayer each game.

Probably because of everyone complaining about them being too hard in Halo:CE. I still hesitate to play The Library whenever I do pop in Halo, but it always turns out to be better than the first few times that I played it.

The reason The Flood probably got boring to fight, was because of complaining, and because of the loss of the "newness of them". In the original game, it was like Bungie said, a brick wall that made the game world toss around. You now had to fight this ugly, parasitic, and ever-so-slightly growing by the millisecond race, and the Covenant. In Halo 2 and 3, you knew the Flood were going to be in it, and you basically already knew the weakness.

Just my two cents.

#32 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

and you basically already knew the weakness

Not really. The flood's weakness changed in each game. In Halo three, the flood no longer died from melees and weren't as weak to the shotgun. The new shotgun was the sword, IMO. The sword just owns the flood. Its a one hit kill to all of them most of the time.

#33 ZayneHumphrey

ZayneHumphrey
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Not really. The flood's weakness changed in each game. In Halo three, the flood no longer died from melees and weren't as weak to the shotgun. The new shotgun was the sword, IMO. The sword just owns the flood. Its a one hit kill to all of them most of the time.

True, but you still knew the general weapons to use against them. Rapid fire weapons like the Assault Rifle, and the SMG, and close range Shotgun, and Sword. Sure they changed a little bit in every game, but you still knew their general weakness. Though, you can now get them with just about every weapon now in Halo 3, because you can headshot them, and you can still aim at the "feedlers".

I really would've liked Bungie too kept them true to Halo:CE's Flood by having them just rush at you in full force, in waves. Have infection, then combat, then the Pure forms all lined up and ready to go. Sure, it would've been tedious to fight, but isn't that what all Zombies are supposed to be like? Tedious, flesh hungry (or in the Flood's case, nervous system), drones.

#34 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:40 AM

OR you could just get head-shots with the BR. 1 hit kill.

#35 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

but then some other infection form runs over and reanimates the body, best to grind em up with the hammer or grenades, BR's still great though, it's fast and clean, but lets face it, the hammer is just satifying.

#36 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

I've been pretty hard on how the Flood were implemented in Halo in the past, but the more I play the levels involving them the less I am frustrated - particularly in the case of Cortana. I will say that the Flood in Halo 3 are vastly improved in my opinion. The infection form "head shot" mechanic, the reanimating of a corpse when an infection form finds it and some of the variety found in pure forms.

That being said, I might have gone in a different direction with some of the combat scenarios involving the Flood:
  • As mentioned before, I would have absolutely loved to see more vehicle sections with the Flood. Taking away their power weapons, I would fill a basin up with the Flood and send Warthogs with gunners careening in after them. Clear the area and then proceed to the next section. It would be very satisfying and would play on the best attribute of the Flood, their numbers.
  • There should have been at least one sequence where the player operated a turret at an elevated position and had to defend their spot for a period of time against wave after wave of Flood. This would have been a classic defend moment, particularly if it happened when the Chief reached Cortana. I fully expected the Gravemind to open up the "floodgates" as it were. That never happened though. :(
  • The only pure forms I disliked were the ranged ones which I thought were cool in concept, but just too difficult to kill at a distance. I think they should have been easy to kill and even explode upon firing at them like a fusion core. This would add a dimension to their nature and would give you more "artillery" against the other combat and pure forms. Instead of just taking pot shots when they could, players would allow these forms to survive until one of the other Flood forms approached. Then you could use them as a trap for your enemies.
  • I thought Floodgate was great, but I think Cortana could have had a shorter "corridor to corridor" sequence and some vehicle parts on larger High Charity vistas. There were probably time limitations involved in them not putting something like this in, but I would have loved to see a counter-image of what had become of High Charity. In Halo 2 is majestic and pristine, but the parts in Halo 3 we see you are in the cramped interior of the structure - not on the large verandas or parapets. A nice revisiting of those locations in Halo 3 would have served as an interesting contrast, especially if a huge wall in High Charity was cut out behind where the Forerunner dreanought was once perched and in the far distance you could see where the same ship had landed on the Ark (it would also tie in the story of how Truth landed since you never see it - Cortana: "So Truth took his ship here. This was his Great Journey all along?").
  • I would have loved to have the last part be an airborne escape. High Charity is collapsing from the destabilization and you have to navigate a flying vehicle out of the structure. As the city falls apart and the Gravemind attempts to swipe at you, you're rushing through and destroying large collections of Flood trying to attack you on your way through the city.
I like to believe that Bungie had a grand plan in mind when it came to the execution of the Flood, but when it materialized in the video game, it didn't quite reach their high marks. That being said, I have actually played a little bit of Cortana lately and been enjoying myself. It's definitely not a great mission compared to the others in the game, but it's not as horrible as I once mistook it to be.

#37 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

[*]I would have loved to have the last part be an airborne escape. High Charity is collapsing from the destabilization and you have to navigate a flying vehicle out of the structure. As the city falls apart and the Gravemind attempts to swipe at you, you're rushing through and destroying large collections of Flood trying to attack you on your way through the city.

have you played Crysis? that exact scenario is a pretty big part of the final act

#38 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

Also, it's the last section of Star Fox 64.

#39 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

Also, it's the last section of Star Fox 64.

BARREL ROLL

#40 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

• 461 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

[*]There should have been at least one sequence where the player operated a turret at an elevated position and had to defend their spot for a period of time against wave after wave of Flood. This would have been a classic defend moment, particularly if it happened when the Chief reached Cortana. I fully expected the Gravemind to open up the "floodgates" as it were. That never happened though. :(
[*]The only pure forms I disliked were the ranged ones which I thought were cool in concept, but just too difficult to kill at a distance. I think they should have been easy to kill and even explode upon firing at them like a fusion core. This would add a dimension to their nature and would give you more "artillery" against the other combat and pure forms. Instead of just taking pot shots when they could, players would allow these forms to survive until one of the other Flood forms approached. Then you could use them as a trap for your enemies.

Yes and yes. I would have liked a turret sequence where you and a handful of Marines/Elites had to hold out against an Onslaught of Flood.

And I hate the ranged pure forms. They are a bitch to kill. I always stick them, but grenades are someties scarce. In which case, I unload on them.

And I remember playing that level many times on my N64 (which is in my room, next to the SNES/NES). The alternate ending was great, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq