OOOOOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Posted Image

#43 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

[*]I would have loved to have the last part be an airborne escape. High Charity is collapsing from the destabilization and you have to navigate a flying vehicle out of the structure. As the city falls apart and the Gravemind attempts to swipe at you, you're rushing through and destroying large collections of Flood trying to attack you on your way through the city.

Yeah, I agree 100%. One of the biggest issues I had with Halo 3 was that there was no final direct confrontation between the MC and the Gravemind. I guess giving fantastic resolutions isn't one of Bungie's strong points.

#44 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, I agree 100%. One of the biggest issues I had with Halo 3 was that there was no final direct confrontation between the MC and the Gravemind. I guess giving fantastic resolutions isn't one of Bungie's strong points.

And there wasn't a single point in the game where you flew a Banshee, unless you dropped out of your Hornet on The Covenant and skyjacked one. I didn't really understand Bungie's reasoning behind that.

#45 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:02 AM

IMHO Hornet > Banshee, I've wanted a human flying veichle since halo 1 and climbing into the hornet for the dogfight in 'The Covenant" was way more rewarding an experience than some old banshee... imo

#46 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

And honestly, fighting the Gravemind one on one doesn't make sense. The Gravemind doesn't do encounters, it avoids. After all, it controls all of the Flood, why would it bother risking itself when it can just send wave after wave of Flood after you?

And as for there not being many cases where the Flood just seemed to pour down on you, the Ark control room as a harrowing hallway of horror on your way back.

#47 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

Sure, but how mobile is the Gravemind? MC should have fought through a million flood to get into its lair and then taken him out somehow; maybe it doesn't make sense as far as the story (as you've already pointed out, Anpheus, the story isn't perfect anyway), but it makes for a thrilling and memorable moment for a video game.

#48 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

bah fighting the gravemind would just be another lackluster boss fight a la metroid, hit it's weak spot X 3 times with weapon Y and fight Z waves of bad guys inbetween

#49 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Is there even a "the Gravemind." Every bit of evidence suggests that it's the cumulative (compound) mind of many different Flood organisms. I would wager that the tentacles and the plant-face you see are mere extensions of the Gravemind.

#50 Hopdaddy

Hopdaddy
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

Whoever said that the Flood's greatest strength was their numbers, I completely agree.

I really feel that Bungie missed an amazing oppertunity with the Flood in Halo 3. The vehical section and the defend with a turret section really plays on the Flood's overwhelming nature. I mean, they're called the flood. Duh.

What the Library did in Halo 1 was perfect. It had you fighting wave after wave after wave of Flood. In Halo 3, you can literally run past it all. (I'm looking you're way, Floodgate)

#51 bensthebest

bensthebest
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

imo i feel that when they made halo 1 they were out to prove that they could make an amazing game 2 and 3 i think they were riding the success of CE and just longing the story out. The level designs for both 2 and 3 feel that they are purposely made for that specific mission. in CE you had AOTCR (which i think is the best level ever in a game) and then the mission where you have to do it in reverse (cant remember the name) and also the silent cartographer, they felt like they were areas instead of just made for the mission. But thats not the point of this topic i do agree with what most people are saying CE the flood were just an onslaught of flying arms and 2-3 were just enemies out to get you. The static flood that needles at you...really no point in them at all. The flood need to eat sentinant life so staying still isnt in there nature.

#52 CABOOSEP3NGE

CABOOSEP3NGE
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

i think the reasoning behind bungies new approch wiht the flood is the fact that there are so many more weps that they wanted to let you be able to use most of them against any enemy all the time unlike CE where you could only use a few weps to beat them. seriously, how much fun would it be to only be able to use shotty mauler AR and plasma rifle vs flood when there are so many around you.

#53 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

i think the reasoning behind bungies new approch wiht the flood is the fact that there are so many more weps that they wanted to let you be able to use most of them against any enemy all the time unlike CE where you could only use a few weps to beat them. seriously, how much fun would it be to only be able to use shotty mauler AR and plasma rifle vs flood when there are so many around you.

A lot of fun, actually. :thumbsup:

#54 ZayneHumphrey

ZayneHumphrey
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:07 AM

Sure, but how mobile is the Gravemind? MC should have fought through a million flood to get into its lair and then taken him out somehow; maybe it doesn't make sense as far as the story (as you've already pointed out, Anpheus, the story isn't perfect anyway), but it makes for a thrilling and memorable moment for a video game.

Well, in the Halo 3 Legendary Edition Halo: CE/Halo 2 cutscene bonus feature (Jeeze, say that ten times fast), in Halo 2, Bungie wanted it to be where Miranda met up with the Covenant (to probably get revenge on you for punching her father in the face during 'Keyes'), and they agreed to put a bomb on your back so they could send you to the Gravemind to destroy it. I would've liked to see something like that, but as a level after Cortana, where Master Chief decided to destroy the Gravemind. Though, it would've made sense that it died when you blew up the reactor, and it tried to swipe at you when escaping (with it being at the bottom of that room), not rebuilding itself on the new Installation 04, but story-wise, it wouldn't have shown how quickly it can rebuild.

Wow, that paragraph turned out to be longer than expected.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq