Killzone: SF

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

What's the style if this game. Is it CODified at all? Load outs, streaks, etc.? Does it have weapons on the map?

Drew is a lying liar who lies. Killzone leans pretty hard into the Call of Duty/modern shooter spectrum. Sprint, iron sights, weapon attachments, custom classes, low time-to-kill, etc. combined with armor abilities which can be customized with secondary abilities (perks). Plus turrets, drones, shield doors, active camo, and teleporting equals plenty of chaotic "fun". Enjoy.

#22 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Drew is a lying liar who lies. Killzone leans pretty hard into the Call of Duty/modern shooter spectrum. Sprint, iron sights, weapon attachments, custom classes, low time-to-kill, etc. combined with armor abilities which can be customized with secondary abilities (perks). Plus turrets, drones, shield doors, active camo, and teleporting equals plenty of chaotic "fun". Enjoy.

Think what you want, but is plays nothing like Call of Duty. The "armor abilities" are closer to class functions in Battlefield, and the overpowered sounding abilities like active-camo are balanced with very long cooldowns and other restrictions (can only use knives while cloaked, for example). Time-to-kill is the slowest of the big modern shooters outside of Halo. Drones are easy to spot and easier to kill, same goes for turrets, and shields can be dispersed with a well-placed grenade. Secondary abilities are nothing like perks, and instead are just what they sound like. Support gets ammo packs and spawn beacons and other things to help teammates, Assault gets a stun grenade or a faster sprint, and Scouts get a spotting ability to mark enemies for teammates or a random teleport that's on such a long cooldown is can only be used a couple times a match. Every class also gets the option of a drone, but like I mentioned above, none of them have a big impact on the flow of the match, and are more for the lazy who can't be bothered to micro-manage their secondary ability.

Edited by Drew, 17 November 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#23 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Ok cool, what can you load out with and what are the class abilities? What are the maps like in terms of size and team size?

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else in the thread, but I figure it is worth mentioning.

Game uses dynamic warzones which means that in the middle of a single match you'll have 5 minutes of deathmatch, 5 minutes of basically oddball, 5 minutes of search and destroy. It is actually a lot of fun and means it isn't just deathmatch. You can of course paly only that if you want, etc.

Saying that there are no unlocks is only partially true. It seems like all of the main guns are unlocked, but you still have to unlock grenades, and attachments which can include stuff like a grenade launcher (which is cool as it is 1-hit kiill with 3 rounds).

I unlocked the limpet grenade which is a lot of fun as it is pretty much a plasma/sticky. It seems like the best way to use it is by holding grenade button as it doesn't start a timer in your hand like the default grenade, then when you find an enemy, stick him.

Sppor submachine gun for the scout is really cool. It fires in burst, seems about 2 bursts kills, but coolest part is if you hit secondary fire, it has this cool animation in which the barrel is extended and it turns into this railgun type thing which reminds me of the beam rifle.

Game at times really does remind me of H1/H2, Ivan I'm pretty sure you would enjoy it (not just saying that), and I could imagine Gamble tearing up people. 

#24 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Still haven't figured out which class/weapon I should be using in this game ...

(Someone tell me what to use).

#25 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Still haven't figured out which class/weapon I should be using in this game ...

(Someone tell me what to use).

Assault is very solid, from what I used of it. Went 34-11 on my first real match with the default assault rifle.

Make sure you're using your stun grenade and shield on cooldown!

Edited by Drew, 17 November 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#26 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Depends on how you like to play, Van. Assault seems to be the go to class for most people though.

#27 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

When I eventually get my PS4, Killzone is one of the games I will probably pick up for it. Do I need to have played all the preceding games in order to enjoy this one? Will I be missing anything?

Previously I have played the original Killzone on PS2 many years ago and thought it was alright but never the "Halo killer" that many in the British games media called it at the time. In fact they said the same about Firewarrior. Lol

Also, I'm trying not to watch or read too much about this game as I don't want to spoil anything for myself.
GT: KrAzY WiSh

#28 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

It helps to know what happened in the previous games, as it gives some context, but it's not really necessary.

Just beat the game. There are some serious pacing and difficulty issues (some parts drag on a little too long, sometimes the difficulty spikes out of nowhere - I died over a dozen times on a couple of parts on Normal), but otherwise one of the best single player FPS campaigns I've played in a long time. Lots of really cool combat scenarios, interesting locales, pretty graphics, and big levels with relatively little hand-holding. It feels good getting lost in a shooter, it's been a long time since I've actually been able to do that.

The combat is fantastic, I found the gunplay to be incredibly satisfying. The one big thing that bothered me from a weapon standpoint is the fact that you are stuck with your primary weapon. I really wish there was a way to swap it out. There are plenty of great guns to use, so it kinda sucks being stuck with the same one for most of the game. Otherwise, very pleased. Don't know if I'm going to attempt Hard for a while, as Normal felt challenging enough and I can definitely see myself flinging the controller across the room at certain parts.

Edited by Drew, 18 November 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#29 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

How many hours would you say it took to beat?

#30 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

How many hours would you say it took to beat?

Hm... probably somewhere around 10 hours. I don't really know. Didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome, but it didn't feel short either.

#31 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

I've only played 2 missions of SP, and this is my first Killzone.

The game seems ...  "weighty."  That's the only way I can describe it.  

This, to me, is a good thing.  I don't feel like I'm controlling a camera.  Rather, I feel like I'm moving something of substance.

#32 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

I've only played 2 missions of SP, and this is my first Killzone.

The game seems ...  "weighty."  That's the only way I can describe it.  

This, to me, is a good thing.  I don't feel like I'm controlling a camera.  Rather, I feel like I'm moving something of substance.

The "weight" in Shadow Fall is nothing compared to 2 and 3, which was taken waaaay to the extreme. I think they hit the right balance with this one though. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq