#4 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,065 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

My new company scheduled their company meeting for 12/14 - 12/16, so I'm having to go see this in Portland, OR. 

I don't understand why a company of 10 has to get everyone together in one spot, let alone during the biggest movie weekend of the year.  It really makes me think these may not be the nerds for me...

#5 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

We pushed our office holiday party a week earlier as to not interfere with screenings for The Last Jedi. Sounds like you need to find better employment.  :D

#6 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

We pushed our office holiday party a week earlier as to not interfere with screenings for The Last Jedi. Sounds like you need to find better employment.  :D

LOL, that's awesome. 

#7 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Just your friendly reminder Tucker that my local Drafthouse looks like this when you walk in:

lobby4stand.jpeg

lobby6throne.jpeg?w=1024&h=707

Which is, of course, where I will be seeing The Last Jedi.

Edited by Nightshade, 11 November 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#8 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Just your friendly reminder Tucker that my local Drafthouse looks like this when you walk in:

lobby4stand.jpeg

lobby6throne.jpeg?w=1024&h=707

Which is, of course, where I will be seeing The Last Jedi.

Respond to my texts, cucklord

#9 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Having seen the movie yesterday, I wanted to write down some of my thoughts and see what you all thought too.

Spoilers, obviously.

Spoiler

Edited by Nightshade, 16 December 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#10 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

"I've seen your daily routine. You're not busy."

The milk, the fishing, etc. was all showing how Luke survives on this island.

#11 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

I walked out of the theater thinking, "I don't know if i liked that." And the more I've thought about it, the more I realize I didn't. Incredibly disappointing.

#12 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

"I've seen your daily routine. You're not busy."

The milk, the fishing, etc. was all showing how Luke survives on this island.

I get that, but that doesn't need explanation. Let alone in the super weird way they did it.

#13 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

I get that, but that doesn't need explanation. Let alone in the super weird way they did it.

What was weird about it? 

This is like the "one thing" that is a nitpick that I just don't get.  It's a 3 minute sequence where Luke goes and gets milk from a "sea cow" (my term), does this really cool jump over an expanse just to do some spear fishing.  Honestly, I think it just goes with the whole "You're expecting 'LUKE SKYWALKER' to be doing some really cool shit on this island, aren't you?  Well, surprise!"  He is on a small island in the middle of the sea.  Don't you wonder how he gets food and drink? 

And it works!

And it leads to the one joke that I think is actually in place and works.  (I did not care for the Poe/Hux stuff - the comedy should be the province of the droids - and ESB Yoda.  BB-8 plugging the holes being a prime example) The "That pretty much is nowhere" response.

#14 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:42 PM

What was weird about it? 

This is like the "one thing" that is a nitpick that I just don't get.  It's a 3 minute sequence where Luke goes and gets milk from a "sea cow" (my term), does this really cool jump over an expanse just to do some spear fishing.  Honestly, I think it just goes with the whole "You're expecting 'LUKE SKYWALKER' to be doing some really cool shit on this island, aren't you?  Well, surprise!"  He is on a small island in the middle of the sea.  Don't you wonder how he gets food and drink? 

And it works!

And it leads to the one joke that I think is actually in place and works.  (I did not care for the Poe/Hux stuff - the comedy should be the province of the droids - and ESB Yoda.  BB-8 plugging the holes being a prime example) The "That pretty much is nowhere" response.

Let me elaborate because I didn't do a good job the first time. I don't have a problem with the other routine parts like the fishing, I have a problem with the milking in particular. Now, I'm no prude, but when you show me some 10-foot version of this fucker:

maxresdefault.jpg

Who Rian Johnson thought was important enough to have look in the camera while audibly groaning several times while getting milked by Luke (which conveniently has it's udder located in it's crotch even as a bipedal creature) who proceeds to drink it hot from the tap and get some in his beard. I'm gonna call it a little weird.

We can debate the semantics about why this was done, but shit felt super weird. And I don't feel like it was necessary to show that he wasn't starving to death on the island given the whole he's alive part. Which is why I said it felt sort of like they were aping Yoda and just making him weird because, well, Yoda was weird. I get that it's grounding as a major thematic part of the film is understanding that Luke's status as a Jedi is largely a legend. But it still felt weird and I personally felt like in my theater experience people laughed more at the implied sexual humor of it rather than the weirdness of it.

#15 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:19 AM

That scene didn't bother me at all, although I didn't think it was too funny either. I probably chuckled a bit, went yuck, and carried on.

#16 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

I laughed when the thing turned its head to Rey like "Hey, you wanna get in on this or nah?"

#17 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

That weird boob alien and Luke lapping up the milk on the spot was the highlight of the movie for me. I was dying laughing. Was it weird AF? Yes. But I loved it. 

Everything else, however, sucked. Couldn't have been more disappointed overall. 

#18 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

Another Rian Johnson reaction: Link

But seriously, Van, I'm curious. Did you read a lot of the extended universe? I'm curious if the people who spent a bunch of time with that stuff have had a more negative opinion of the film than others.

#19 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

Another Rian Johnson reaction: Link

But seriously, Van, I'm curious. Did you read a lot of the extended universe? I'm curious if the people who spent a bunch of time with that stuff have had a more negative opinion of the film than others.

I'm definitely not a fan boy and haven't read any extended universe stuff since I was a kid (Tales from Jabba's Palace, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Shadows of the Empire). I don't go on message boards and don't haven't read any fan theories related to Last Jedi. I'd say I fall in the 50th percentile of fans. I look forward to the movies - loved the originals; thought the prequels overall were trash. 

Though derivative, I thought JJ really set the stage with Force Awakens to kickoff the new trilogy. He created a set of cool characters - both supporting and main including the Rebels and New Order all while bringing back old favorites for nostalgia/continuity sake. Then he wove in some really intriguing bits including Rey and Snoke's backstories that got me excited for the sequels. Even though RJ basically punted on those big questions, that's not really my issue with the movie. In general, I like the overall theme and thought it was a bold direction to go - 'the only way to move forward, is to let the past die.' And that ultimately the force isn't only the dominion of the Skywalkers, but lives in all of us. 

Really, the problems is that Last Jedi is just a bad movie. 

Bulleted list of hate:

• Hux - This guy is a bad Harry Potter villain.
  • Phasma - Dumb.
  • Poe - Felt like the only reason he existed in this movie is so Laura Dern could give Poe a big middle finger for trying to mansplain space tactics to her (see comment below). Poe is to Han Solo as a sharp stick to the nuts is to eating cheesecake (but I still love Oscar Isaac). 
  • Rose and Finn - Every scene they were in was terrible. Might be the worst sequence in any Star Wars film (save the Natalie Portman/Hayden Christensen love scenes in II). These two are the worst Star Wars characters. Couldn't tell if it was poor acting, bad chemistry. Didn't help that everything on the 'most terrible, evil weapon salesman planet' (jack-off motion) was so muddy and dark, you couldn't tell what was going on (and no, I didn't see it in 3D). These scenes ended up feeling pointless to the plot. And what the fuck Benicio Del Toro? Why did your character exist?
  • Pacing/Length - Just felt like there was no flow and overall the movie was much longer than it needed to be. 
  • Leia/Mary Poppins
  • Opening bad conference call scene - Christ. This scene felt like it was written by one of my clients who would have thought it was the funniest thing of all time (I work at an ad agency on a big telecom brand). This scene was so embarrassing I tried to burrow my head through the concrete floor of my local cinema until it ended. Agree with Tucker - leave the humor to the aliens/robots/porgs. 
  • Social/political commentary - Don't get me wrong, I'm as liberal as they come these days. Full SJW and Trump can eat all the dicks, but this movie was so ham-handed when it came to the political messaging. I love me some politics in movies (particularly when it aligns with my own), but not when every monologue sounds like a DM to @GOP. At some point it started distracting me from the movie. 

The Good:

• Kyle/Rey - Love these two. Genuine chemistry and great acting. I wanted them to force-fuck terribly. Still wondering if there would have been an interesting way to make them pair up - even for a short time on either the good or bad side. Maybe not. 
  • Luke - Overall didn't really mind how he was handled. Made sense to me and was great to see him on-screen again. Hope he gets an appearance as a force ghost in IX. 

I'm just not sure where they go from here. Know RJ is handing the reigns back to JJ, but just wish JJ would have directed the whole trilogy. I still have hopes IX will be good, but even if it is, that won't stop LJ from being a big disappointment for me. 

#20 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Updated Power Rankings of SW Movies

Empire
New Hope
Rogue One