• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:13 AM

I was discussing this with a few of you guys yesterday.

The Question: In the final game, will multiple people be allowed in the Theater with you and you guys can watch the saved films together.

Well over at Bungie.net Recon Number 54 started a thread about Saved Films and in the thread he states that it will not be possible:

From B.net kid:

Great explanation there, however I hope in the full version we will be able to watch films with others in our party at the same time. Sending a film to your friend is great and all, but there is just so much more to offer when everyone is watching the film at the same time. Pausing the film and moving the camera around, it would be like a presentation. I really really really hope we can have multiple people in the lobby watching the film at the same time.

Response from Recon Number 54:

Based on the way the system works, that is just not possible.

There is no way to take the HD video output that is being sent to your television and somehow share that huge amount of data across the Internet real-time.

You could use the Saved Film feature to edit, cut, paste, and select camera angles to build a "finished" Saved Film file that you could then post on your share. Then people would download the small data file and reproduce the film using their console's horsepower to display it on their television.

Drew and crew says Recon is a moron.

What is the deal? Who is right?

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 04 June 2007 - 04:14 AM.

#2 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:44 AM

Recon is a moron.

The small data file works because Halo's physics are fairly deterministic... that is, they can save information about physics state changes and button presses and use it to replay what happened (my guess is they don't care if the random pattern on the shotgun looks exactly like it did when you played, but they may store the information about how they randomly seeded that stuff just so it does, I don't know...) The point is, when you host a room, it would be trivial for their boxes to run the simulation and output the same results as yours would, independent of eachother... that's why you can send that small data file from your file share and let people watch your greatness in action. I doubt they do it this way, since the host is able to rewind and whatnot, so they probably start the simulation on each box then have the net code drive it, either updating the simulation's information, or simply giving the individual client simulations updated timestamp info as they run. My guess is that they use the latter, and if the host is also forcing everyone to watch their camera angle, they send out camera angle information over the net code as well. The combination of the physics and net code and their ability to run back through the miniscule data file Bungie has stored is what makes the replay system so worthwhile. Multiple people will be able to watch your Saved Films in the theater in the final game.
Posted Image

#3 r3dn3ck snip3r

r3dn3ck snip3r
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

i'm just excited about being able to edit and change the camera angles in the movies... all that halo 2 machinima i made is about to get alllooooot better

#4 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

Recon? More like Re-tard! Am I right?

#5 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Recon? More like Re-tard! Am I right?

I SEE WHAT U DID THAR LOL

Yeah, this guy is an idiot. He contradicts himself on several occaisions. The sole reason that you CAN do what he's talking about (multiple prespectives, different camera angles, shared films in general) is because of the fact that it's a data file, and NOT a video file. Cuse said it best.

-Sighs-. Oh, internets. You've failed me once again.

Edited by Drew, 04 June 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#6 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:21 AM

One game name, StarCraft. This game has this type of replay system. Multiple people can get on and watch replays and/or user created movies of sorts. In conclusion...Recon fails.

#7 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Plus it seems like you'll be able to have spectators watch custom games, watching a game in real time shouldn't really be too different to watching a prerecorded one (you know, bandwidth wise).

Edited by UHYVE, 04 June 2007 - 12:19 PM.

#8 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

(Like Cuse said.) Bungie said it didn't save it as a movie file. It is just game data. Like models, collisions and all that. So you can have alot of peole watching, they all might have to have it downloaded though. I thought bungie confirmed multiple viewers in the multipalyer ViDoc.

Edited by Blamo, 04 June 2007 - 05:35 PM.

#9 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

(Like Cuse said.) Bungie said it didn't save it as a movie file. It is just game data. Like models, collisions and all that. So you can have alot of peole watching, they all might have to have it downloaded though. I thought bungie confirmed multiple viewers in the multipalyer ViDoc.

They did. I think that this guy is saying that you can't view it from multiple angles, and not that you can't have others watching.

#10 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

They did. I think that this guy is saying that you can't view it from multiple angles, and not that you can't have others watching.

I think Bungie said that each person could view it from any angle they wished.(not sure) Maybe there is an option in the theater whare each person has control, and maybe another option enables the host to control all views. I don't know, but I think it would be more usefull if everyone got to see it from different angles. That way, people are more likely to catch on to things that happened than if they were confined to one viewing angle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq