• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image

Trailer coming March 29 -- view the Countdown here.

#2 RetroShadow

RetroShadow

Your Local Cinematographer and Photographer

• 623 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

Damn it, i was just about to post that.
XBL:RetroShadow
AIM:RetroShadow1

#3 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

Will you be able to jump over buildings, kick bad guys 2 blocks and toss cars? No?

#4 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

Will it have a story? Yes.

#5 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

Will it have a story?
Yes.

Let's just hope it's something besides the mob and gangstas. Otherwise it'll just be more of the same.

#6 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

what about mobs and gangstas leaping from rooftop to rooftop?

#7 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

Never cared for GTA, and I'm with Nuckah and mattacus. Crackdown has me spoiled. Stories in GTA lol.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#8 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

GTA (especially Vice City)>>>>Crackdown imo It'd be sweet if they played off the whole Irish gang thing which seems to be popular at the moment. The Departed style GTA ftw.

#9 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

Aiming in Crackdown > Aiming in GTA Driving in Crackdown > Driving in GTA Jumping in Crackdown > Jumping in GTA This is kind of like those story debates we have about Halo 2 vs. Halo 1 in that regard. Rockstar's got some control issues to iron out. But I'm not going to try and lie - I will be buying GTA 4... I'd fucking love a GTA Boston...

#10 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

All I know is that I wouldn't take on 60 dudes with rocket launchers and machine guns in GTA and expect to survive.

I will admit though, that being able to pick up hookers and deliver 100 pizzas beats throwing a burning semi... oh. Wait.

I've always loved the GTA series, and I'm pumped to see what they have up thier sleeves, but the ante has been upped considerably since thier last outing. The style and story will be top notch, sure, but the raw game mechanics and controls have been topped. In my opinion at least. I know I'll end up buying it anyways. If nothing else for the radio stations. Loved those.

'Cuse, your Boston comment made me think of this song 'Beer' by The Party Fun Action Commitee.

#11 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:20 AM

Aiming in Crackdown > Aiming in GTA
Driving in Crackdown > Driving in GTA

The aiming and driving in Crackdown were two of my biggest grips, so am I missing something? The targeting seemed really erratic. I found it difficult to actually target the guy I wanted, and it seemed like I had to empty a whole clip to kill a guy, plus it seemed like the precision shooting was a pain in the ass to pull off. The driving also seemed really sloppy. Maybe once you level up these things aren't an issue?

Crackdown= Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, except you can't run sideways up buildings in Crackdown.

#12 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

The trick with aiming in Crackdown is to give your reticule a second to lock on. The higher your skill, the faster it goes. Once its locked, you can blaap fools with a short burst. It could still be improved though, locking on to dead bodies while there is a mofo with a machine gun next to it is just stupid. But I think its better than the stilted and wonky system from GTA.

#13 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

Are all of your guys' characters maxed out now? I'm planning on renting this badboy on my way home tonight, so hopefully one of you wouldn't mind jumping in with a n00b. PS I think I must be confusing GTA's aiming system with the Godfather game's aiming system. The Godfather's aiming system is dope.

Edited by Vanwadilion, 02 March 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#14 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

Van, Monukah is right. For best accuracy, the trick is to let the lock-on reticle shrink down to its smallest point and then pull the trigger. If you fire before the reticle shrinks all the way, the reticle will increase in size again, making your fire less accurate. With the HMG-90 (the best gun in the game as far as I know) I can lock onto someone's head on a medium distant rooftop and tap the trigger and get a headshot kill. The reticle takes longer to focus on the head than it does on the torso. Sometines it may be too frantic to let the reticle lock-on fully. In these situations, I find it best to blast their torsos with the trusty HMG-90. If things get too hairy you can always whip out the awesome "Firefly". Overall, I really like the targeting system. I also really like the driving in the game. Driving in Crackdown is very dependent on what vehicle you are using. A sporty car or police car is always going to be easier to drive and run fools down in than, say, a mini-van. When you are level 4 the Supercar and the SUV are great fun. The twin canons on the Supercar are not just eye candy. They really mow guys down on foot and make vehicles blowed up reeeal nice like. I have pushed a car down the street with the power of the guns hammering it's charred remains.

#15 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

Yeah I love driving around with level four agency vehicles. I have level four in everything except firearms, and I'm having a hard time leveling that up because it takes so long. You go up one point for every 2/3 guys you kill so it takes forever. Does anyone know any tricks on how to level that up quicker? In any case I expect it to be easy to max out the status meters on everything else.

#16 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

Yeah I love driving around with level four agency vehicles. I have level four in everything except firearms, and I'm having a hard time leveling that up because it takes so long. You go up one point for every 2/3 guys you kill so it takes forever. Does anyone know any tricks on how to level that up quicker? In any case I expect it to be easy to max out the status meters on everything else.

I think the best trick is to get a bunch of hit squads after you, then when all their cars are bunched together shoot the gas tank of one of the cars. Instant gangbanger BBQ.

#17 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

Ivan, Another idea. Go to time trials and fight against the Volk boss. Arm yourself with your two best guns. There are tons of volk grunts that attack you as soon as you step foot on the oil rig. Mop these guys up and restart the time trial or go all the way to the kingpin, kill him and then restart it. That's how I leveled up the last 20 points after my four star rating to become a perfect agent.

#18 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

It'd be sweet if they played off the whole Irish gang thing which seems to be popular at the moment. The Departed style GTA ftw.

Yeah, and since we've already run the Italian mafia thing into the ground, GTA V could be about a gang of Darkies! Oh, wait, someone else already did that...we're running out of minorities to exploit. Maybe we could use the French Mafia? I'm sure they're always good for a laugh.

#19 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:02 AM

Yeah, and since we've already run the Italian mafia thing into the ground, GTA V could be about a gang of Darkies! Oh, wait, someone else already did that...we're running out of minorities to exploit. Maybe we could use the French Mafia? I'm sure they're always good for a laugh.

Scottish mafia. If it ain't Scottish, it's crap!

#20 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

how bout the Nicaraguan mafia. They're notorious for their firing squads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq