Halo: CE

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

After several snowbound adventures, you find yourself turning the corner into a high-vaulted room. Snoring, drooling grunts litter the floor. You can barely move for stepping on one--they huddle upon rafters, in corners, and by windows. You could easily bypass the entire chamber by stealth, but where's the fun in that? You set about whacking grunts, knocking them into walls, splattering bluish blood in all directions. Eventually, you spot a red dot on your motion sensor. An Elite is walking toward you. With predictable stupidity, he turns on his heel, mere meters from your hiding place, and begins walking back. A quick dash from cover finds you crunching a fist into his neck, sending him to the floor in a pool of purple. The grunts are blissfully unaware. As you move about the room, there seem to be hundreds of grunts. With each satisfying whack, you move closer to the door on the opposite side. Eventually you spot another red Elite. He has his back to a glass pane, so you're forced to stick him with a plasma grenade instead of silently assassinate him. The ensuing blast wakes up the remaining grunts, five or so, and sends them into a panic. You stroll around the chamber, mopping them up with volleys from a plasma pistol. The red dots disappear one by one. You seem to have lost sight of one grunt. As you look around, you hear a squeal from behind as the lone grunt rapidly pumps plasma into your backside with a ferocity found only on Legendary Mode. Your sole stick of red health, which you've been babying for half a level, is suddenly gone. You fall to the ground as the grunt dances in sheer joy. Back to turning that corner--and suddenly grunt-whacking isn't quite as amusing.

#2 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

mmmm...those are some good memories.

#3 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

After several snowbound adventures, you find yourself turning the corner into a high-vaulted room. Snoring, drooling grunts litter the floor. You can barely move for stepping on one--they huddle upon rafters, in corners, and by windows. You could easily bypass the entire chamber by stealth, but where's the fun in that? You set about whacking grunts, knocking them into walls, splattering bluish blood in all directions.

Eventually, you spot a red dot on your motion sensor. An Elite is walking toward you. With predictable stupidity, he turns on his heel, mere meters from your hiding place, and begins walking back. A quick dash from cover finds you crunching a fist into his neck, sending him to the floor in a pool of purple. The grunts are blissfully unaware.

As you move about the room, there seem to be hundreds of grunts. With each satisfying whack, you move closer to the door on the opposite side. Eventually you spot another red Elite. He has his back to a glass pane, so you're forced to stick him with a plasma grenade instead of silently assassinate him. The ensuing blast wakes up the remaining grunts, five or so, and sends them into a panic.

You stroll around the chamber, mopping them up with volleys from a plasma pistol. The red dots disappear one by one. You seem to have lost sight of one grunt. As you look around, you hear a squeal from behind as the lone grunt rapidly pumps plasma into your backside with a ferocity found only on Legendary Mode. Your sole stick of red health, which you've been babying for half a level, is suddenly gone. You fall to the ground as the grunt dances in sheer joy.

Back to turning that corner--and suddenly grunt-whacking isn't quite as amusing.

I LOVE that section.

My buddy and I went through that over and over in Co-Op legendary, trying to wipe out the entire room without firing a shot. I don't think we ever actually accomplished it, but it was great. Unfortunately, all my Halo co-op buddies have moved away, so I don't get to exprience the joy often.

Bungie, please o please have online co-op....

#4 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

I LOVE that section.

Bungie, please o please have online co-op....

I would cry if there is not online co-op in H3. And since I don't have tear ducts, it's pretty much a guarantee that online co-op is in.

#5 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

So we'll never taste your tears? H3 online co-op confirmed.

#6 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:55 AM

So we'll never taste your tears?

You wouldn't really need to unless you had cancer (see Chuck Norris).

#7 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:32 PM

Xbox Live Arcade: Online Halo 1. Please.

Edited by Syracuse022, 29 June 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#8 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

Xbox Live Arcade: Online Halo 1. Please.

Saying stuff like that just gets me upset (in a hot-and-bothered kind of way).

#9 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

Just played through Halo 1 on Legendary again and relived the sweetness. I remembered it being harder but then again that was before I honed a lot of my skills through competitive online matches. Awesome game.

I'm convinced that even if H1 is an inferior SP game to H2 (which I doubt), Halo 1 was certainly better for it's time than Halo 2 was for it's time. I think that has a lot to do with why so many were so disappointed with H2's Campaign. We expected the same level of greatness that Halo 1 projected when it released and, in my opinion, H2 didn't. H2 certainly wasn't "a lot like Halo 1, only it?s Halo 1 on fire, going 130 miles per hour through a hospital zone, being chased by helicopters and ninjas...And the ninjas are all on fire, too." It was more like, "this is really cool, but is it even better than Halo 1 at all?" However, I'm convinced that flaming/ninja/bacon game exists. It's called Halo Triple.

I'm actually going to go through Halo 2 now. I'll probably play it on Heroic because 1) I don't love the SP enough to bother with Legendary and 2) I hear Legendary is more of a pain in the butt than a fun challenge and 3) No difficulty icons to go along with the maps to tell me which levels I beat at which difficulty.

Let me be clear though that I think H2 really innovated in the MP department [especially online] and did a great job there. I have some serious problems with this as well [SMG starts etc. etc.] but overall I think it's one of the best MP experiences ever crafted on a console. I can't say that about the SP though.

#10 squick3n

squick3n
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with something. I saw a couple of pre-Microsoft Halo vids, and was wondering if there might be more.

So far there's MacWorld 1999

E3 2000

And then this. I found it on IGN and uploaded it. The video I have is fine, but for some reason it's a slide show on youtube. there appears to be narration that's supposed to go with this vid from a couple of Bungie guys? Anyone have the proper vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0D5qH0HEog

#11 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with something. I saw a couple of pre-Microsoft Halo vids, and was wondering if there might be more.

So far there's MacWorld 1999

E3 2000

And then this. I found it on IGN and uploaded it. The video I have is fine, but for some reason it's a slide show on youtube. there appears to be narration that's supposed to go with this vid from a couple of Bungie guys? Anyone have the proper vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0D5qH0HEog

FWIW, those are the only one's I've ever seen. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

#12 squick3n

squick3n
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

FWIW, those are the only one's I've ever seen. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

That last video. I'd like to see the video with the actual commentary from Bungie. The one I youtubed just has the music playing over it, but Bungie guys are seen in the video talking, but with no dialog audible.

#13 Frost

Frost

I'm the Kool-Aid Man, bitch!

• 248 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

Bastards derailed my awesome topic.

#14 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:27 PM

Happy birthday Halo 1. You rock my world. In a showdown with Halo 2 and 3, you'd be all like: R-R-R-X-X-Y-B-L-B, "Double kill." Too bad Bungie hates you... :confused:

#15 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

I came to the Halo world late, just last year. But I got H:CE, got some takeout, the wife was out of town for the weekend. I played it all the way through almost in one sitting. THATS the way to do it. It was like playing my own movie. No interruptions, just playing my own version of Aliens.

#16 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

I don't think I was really posting here when I did this crazy shit (I mentioned it briefly two nights ago in Halo 3), so here it is if you never saw it. It's a little ironic, considering Halo is my least favorite level in Halo 1.

It was never done before partly because nobody ever had the patience, I think... and that's all it really takes. I'm thinking about going back and doing it again because I made a lot of embarrassing mistakes and I'm sure I can cut a considerable amount of time off the run (and get a much more watchable resolution).

Edited by Self Induced, 05 June 2008 - 09:24 AM.

XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#17 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:55 AM

You mustve had a lot of patience, Self. If you are gonna no shot a level, Halo is the one. Grenades and cover galore. No shot the Library, then I'll be impressed. :P

#18 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

If you are gonna no shot a level, Halo is the one. Grenades and cover galore.

You must be fucking kidding me. Go load up Halo on Legendary. No, really, I'll wait.

Yeah, lots of cover isn't there? That's what I thought.

Edited by Self Induced, 05 June 2008 - 10:05 AM.

XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#19 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

Ive played the level plenty of times. Its one of my favorites. Im just saying, there are plenty of trees and grenades. I never said it was easy. I tried no shotting the first level and it ended in disater.

#20 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Let me preface all this by saying that I've seen videos of 'cuse (and Gamble, I think), and I am nowhere near their skill level. But this was back in the days before Live and really before XBC was popular and all you had to judge your skill by was the people in your town. That being said...

Back in high school, we used to have this thing at church on Friday nights called "Solid Rock Cafe" and it was basically a hangout spot for teens to come after the night's football games. We had four Xboxes lanned together and so me and my friends spent this time pwning kids that came in and thought they were good. One particular night I wasn't even playing, and a random kid walked up to me. He said that some other kids had told him that I "was the best" or something like that because they'd played me on previous Friday nights and gotten stomped (they were fourteen or fifteen). I couldn't play that night because I was working as a bouncer/counselor/whatever you want to call it (making sure kids weren't sneaking outside to make out), but the kid kept bugging me throughout the night saying how he knew he and his friend could beat me and any of my friends. Finally, I agreed to play him and he said that he was having some guys over to his house to play the next night. Turns out he lived in this small town about thirty minutes away, so the next night me and a friend of mine made the drive out there.

The kid had three other guys there with him, but he wanted to do a 2v2 CTF on Blood Gulch. I said, "yeah, that's fine," but inside I was like, "yes, please." See, the past week, we'd been practicing that trick where you do some crap with the Warthog where the second player gets on the turret and looks down and backwards. It's been so long ago, I can't remember exactly how it was done, but the result was that when he exited the turret, he would get launched into the sky, like one of Halo 2's superjumps. We had been practicing that all week, figuring out exactly where to launch him so that he'd land in the center of their base, grab the flag and hit the teleport at the exact same moment that I reached the tele exit with the 'hog. At which point, he'd jump in and we'd go home. I think we'd actually pulled off the entire thing perfectly timed maybe twice throughout our week of practice. And we weren't practicing for this game, since we'd just been asked the night before. Like most Halo players, we just wanted to be able to have it in our arsenal.

So we load up the game... My friend goes teleport with the Sniper and snipes the other kid as he emerges from his teleport. Then, he snipes the other one out of a 'hog as he gets out to grab the Rockets. At this point, I was in the middle with the 'hog and I picked up my friend and we did whatever you have to do to start the "launch" process. I think it might have involved a rock or something? Anyway, we went over to their base and both of them are loading up in their 'hog. My friend exits at the perfect spot and launches. As I circled around the base with the Warthog, I swear the two kids (looking at their Spartans) sat there and watched my pal fly up and then fall back down perfectly into their base. (We were in separate rooms at their house and I could hear their other two friends that weren't playing saying stuff like "WHAT THE.... DID YOU SEE THAT!" After my friend landed inside their base, they got off the 'hog and started going inside after him. He was already leaving through the front and I was almost to the tele exit. He circles around the base, avoiding them, hits the teleport, and I pick him up and we go home and cap it.

At this point I hear two controllers hit the floor from the other room, and footsteps heading our way. The door opens up and one of the kids says "look, we're not even going to play you anymore, just show us how you did that." We showed them, but they couldn't ever get it. We didn't even play another game, and after only ten more minutes or so, we left. It was perfect. If they'd actually played us, it may have been a 3-2 or even just a 3-1 game, but stopping the game where they stopped it and then us leaving because they were too scared of getting further embarrassed to play any more - it forever cemented in their minds that we were these untouchable gods, far above the average player. Which we, of course, weren't.

I kid you not, over the next year or so we honestly had people come up to us at high school and at church and ask about our game out in Smithville and if we were "really that good." Lol. Not all the time, but it happened three or four times. The local Halo "pros" even heard the story and challenged us, but I'll tell that story another time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: CE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq