Photo

Smoking

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: smoking (37 member(s) have cast votes)

do you smoke

1. yes, and often (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

2. somtimes (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. only at parties (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. no, but i used too (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

5. no and i never will (20 votes [54.05%])

Percentage of vote: 54.05%

6. i smoke heavily (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. i've only smoked once and hated it (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Major Hayes

Major Hayes

Needler Master

• Veteran
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

Wait, people actually still START smoking? I've only ever met people that (want to) quit smoking, I've never met a new smoker. For those that are interested, some states are looking at raising taxes on tobacco again, by as much as $2 a pack. Watch your wallet.

#22 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:21 AM

Wait, people actually still START smoking? I've only ever met people that (want to) quit smoking, I've never met a new smoker.

For those that are interested, some states are looking at raising taxes on tobacco again, by as much as $2 a pack. Watch your wallet.

I remember just seeing some article about how high taxes have cut smoking down a bit. Good thing too, the health care cost for a lifelong smoker can be really steep.

Now if we could only get a 2$ tax on Big Mac's to start helping to pay for the eventual cost of millions of fat assed Americans having strokes and coronaries at age 25 due to their regular diet of McCrap. Same idea as cigarettes really.

#23 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:31 AM

It's so sad, when you look around - the country is just a mess, health-wise.

Adults in the United States have one of the highest obesity rates in the world. Nearly a third of U.S. adults 20 years and older are obese, while about two-thirds are overweight, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Yikes.

Edited by Syracuse022, 14 August 2007 - 07:36 AM.

#24 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

I remember just seeing some article about how high taxes have cut smoking down a bit. Good thing too, the health care cost for a lifelong smoker can be really steep.

Now if we could only get a 2$ tax on Big Mac's to start helping to pay for the eventual cost of millions of fat assed Americans having strokes and coronaries at age 25 due to their regular diet of McCrap. Same idea as cigarettes really.

A tax on Big Mac's? No way.

Just don't touch my Ultimate Double Whopper from BK and we be cool.

Posted Image

Because deliciousness should be free from excessive tax across our fruited plains people. O, and Spartan size it baby.

#25 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

Disagreed. Why should everyone be punished for people who smoke and eat too much?

Sometimes I'll eat fast food a couple times a week, but then not touch it for months.

And to be completely honest that is the same way I am with smoking. I go through phases where I'll smoke cigarettes and buy packs for a couple weeks. But then I won't touch a cigarette for a couple months. It's more of a social thing.

#26 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

Disagreed. Why should everyone be punished for people who smoke and eat too much?

Sometimes I'll eat fast food a couple times a week, but then not touch it for months.

And to be completely honest that is the same way I am with smoking. I go through phases where I'll smoke cigarettes and buy packs for a couple weeks. But then I won't touch a cigarette for a couple months. It's more of a social thing.

It follows, then, that you're impacted much less by the tax than people who "smoke and eat too much." Crazy how that works, huh?

#27 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

It follows, then, that you're impacted much less by the tax than people who "smoke and eat too much." Crazy how that works, huh?

True. The cigarette tax wouldn't bother me. $9 bucks for a pack once a month or so isn't insane.

But a fast food tax hike would piss me off significantly. The dollar menu is my friend :biggrin:

#28 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

It's ?5.50 for a 20 pack in England already. Meaning over $10. Luckily I'm down to a 20 pack a week at the moment.

#29 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

It's ?5.50 for a 20 pack in England already. Meaning over $10. Luckily I'm down to a 20 pack a week at the moment.

Thats nuts. My best friend is doing a missions trip in Thailand right now. $1.25 for all brand name 20 packs, including Marlboro. They also have other packs for $1.00, brand names like L&M

#30 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

I can't stand the smell of it. I almost throw up when I do... It was exceptionally bad when I was living in Heidelberg. You couldn't turn a corner without seeing a German smoking, even in their restaurants. =/

#31 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

This is blasphemy! .... This is madness!!

#32 Major Hayes

Major Hayes

Needler Master

• Veteran
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

I just heard today that eating red meat 5-7 times a week and eating sugary deserts daily increases your risk of colon cancer (If you don't know what your colon is... well, look it up).

#33 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:53 PM

I just heard today that eating red meat 5-7 times a week and eating sugary deserts daily increases your risk of colon cancer (If you don't know what your colon is... well, look it up).

Dang, I eat a lot of red meat and sugary deserts. Guess it is time to slow down on them.

#34 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Haven't smoked or had Mickey D's in about a decade. Don't miss either. Plenty of my friends smoke, but I generally leave them alone about it. I remember what it was like to have people nag me about it. Made me want to stub a butt out in their eyeball.

#35 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

I only smoke after work.

#36 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

Its an old thread, but I had to toss in my vote anyway. I quit smoking earlier this summer by going cold turkey. Withdrawal was a bitch after getting up to half a pack a day, but I'm glad I quit before it got any worse. A few days into it I actually coughed up some black stuff which I'm pretty sure was tar shaking loose from the walls of my lungs. I can't imagine the feelings of withdrawal somebody would go through who smoked 1-2 packs a day. That would suck. I just couldn't stand feeling the need to smoke every few hours, made me feel like a slave to the nicotine. Plus its nice being able to take a really deep breath again without getting random chest pains. I did smoke sparingly when drinking with friends over the summer but I figure the occasional cig isn't too bad, just as long as I don't get addicted like that ever again.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#37 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

Self, how long have you been smoking? If I'm not mistaken you're in your 20s? I highly doubt you were coughing up black stuff after smoking a half a pack a day. Phil Harris from the Deadliest Catch smoked 6-10 packs of cigarettes a day for 30 years. People smoke their entire life and don't cough up black stuff. I smoked for years and felt nothing more than a shortness of breathe when running. Taking a deep breathe and getting chest pains? I think you should go see a doctor because smoking a half a pack of cigs a day is not going to do that to you in a short period of time. I quit smoking last summer. August 3rd to be exact. I got back with my ex, we kissed, and she mentioned that I tasted like cigarettes. It hit me how gross it would be to kiss a man that tasted like cigarettes so I quit. Cold turkey, barely even missed it. I smoked about 10-12 cigs a day for about 3 years. I only started missing it a few months later when we would be hanging out on Sundays and watching football and drinking at a friends (and my girlfriend wasn't around.) One day on December I tried to have one and I got so light-headed I couldn't even finish the cig. It sucks because I would like to have one every once in a while and enjoy it. But it seams the only way to enjoy them is to smoke a lot of them, which I do not want to do. I've had a few since December but none as enjoyable as it used to be when I smoked full time and enjoyed a cigarette on the way to work with a nice cup of coffee.

Edited by NJ Shlice, 19 August 2010 - 06:18 AM.

#38 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

I used to be a social smoker in my teens when hanging around with friends. I started rather late into my teens even though I came from a smoking household. It started casually with some friends, usually when smoking some pot. I thought I would never get addicted, that I had full control over the situation. My grandmother passed away a few years back and I was smoking pretty casually before that but the stress lead me to want to smoke more or that's how I've explained it to myself. My grandfather passed away a year later and I had such a bad few years following that and by that point I was a proper smoker, smoking at least ten ciggs a day. It's been a few years now, I never touched drugs again thankfully and I rarely ever drink. I am however a smoker and one that tried to quit so many times and failed repeatedly. I'll attempt to quit again in future, no doubt, but I regret ever starting. Smoking is great for a few minutes and it's not worth the lifetime of suffering it's carries with it.

#39 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Self, how long have you been smoking? If I'm not mistaken you're in your 20s?

I highly doubt you were coughing up black stuff after smoking a half a pack a day. Phil Harris from the Deadliest Catch smoked 6-10 packs of cigarettes a day for 30 years. People smoke their entire life and don't cough up black stuff. I smoked for years and felt nothing more than a shortness of breathe when running.

Taking a deep breathe and getting chest pains? I think you should go see a doctor because smoking a half a pack of cigs a day is not going to do that to you in a short period of time.

Well, for as long as I could remember while I smoked I suffered from what I thought was a sinus infection and but it turned out I had developed chronic bronchitis, which was a pretty big factor in helping me quit. I had always suffered from various symptoms of bronchitis (coughing, post-nasal drip, shortness of breath) but didn't know that was what it was until I went to the doctor. Also, I quit smoking weed habitually at the same time I stopped smoking cigarettes, and long-time chronic users of marijuana do indeed cough up black stuff. It usually only happens when quitting, though (both with weed and cigs). I read somewhere that a while after quitting smoking the alveoli (I think thats what they are) will loosen up as a result of diminishing levels of tar, and release even more tar that has been trapped in them. So people who smoke habitually usually won't cough up anything because their alveoli are already coated in so much tar.

Also, it doesn't take a whole lot of smoke to really fuck up your lungs. I smoked half a pack a day for 3 years and I can tell you my lungs definitely aren't a healthy pink color anymore. Phil Harris' lungs probably look like a coal mine.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq