Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

What I don't understand is why the Forerunners would have kept Flood samples anywhere.

They go through all the trouble of eradicating all of the life in the universe, only to leave seedlings of the scourge in their own back yards. That is something I've wondered about since the first game. If the Flood is so dangerous, why give it the slightest chance of survival?

An good question that Bungie decided not to address. Not explicitly at least. Keep in mind though that the Flood is extra-galactic in origin. The Forerunners don't seem to know where they came from. That being the case, they left behind samples for study as the potential exists that the Flood is not confined to the galaxy and therefor would not be eradicated by the array effect.

They believe it to be a cycle of sorts. One that they want to stop.

#22 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

I think they kept them there in the hopes that they would find a weakness or some other way of eradicating them, without resorting to destroying everything.

Precisely.

If you recall, early in the Terminal transcripsts Didact pleads to his lover that there is other options "Librarian: Please Activate The Array"

"Didact: No Activation is murder... We're learning it's tricks and strategies. We can halt this thing. And we can follow in their footsteps."

Not surprisingly, some Forerunners thought they could beat The Flood. Even being so brave as to put facilities to study the Flood (Multiplayer map Isolation) on the Ark.)

#23 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:19 AM

I've been scourging through this whole thing again, and there are some hidden terminal things that can be found on different difficulty levels that. Terminals Wiki

Here's some thoughts? Tell me what you guys think.

The LINE that Didact refers to that the Librarian is "on the other side" of is the Forerunners Maginot Line

The Narrator speaking of the Last Battle against Mendicant Bias/Gravemind is taking place when MB/G puncture the Forerunners' "sphere" which I believe is more like their Maginot Sphere, which we can see at the end of the Legendary Ending. Which I believe that Sphere protects their home worlds.

Also, during the final battle, from the Narrator: "If we start immediately - commence total biosphere elimination of life sustaining worlds (as indicated in the accompanying charts) and relocate evacuated populations to facilities such as those described in the Onyx Project. "
- Is this proof of Forerunners in Dyson Spheres ?? Possibly still in there.

Or is it possible that this Sphere being punctured during that last battle could be a Dyson Sphere and Mendicant Bias/Gravemind's army made it inside the Dyson Sphere? (I kind of dought this and am leaning more towards my initial idea.)

It is definite that ALL HUMANS were sent to the Ark. Which would mean all humans are Reclaimers (i.e. Sgt. Jonson, Miranda Keyes) But why not SIII's in Ghosts of Onyx ??

And how the hell did we get off of the ark and back on Earth after the rings were fired?

Also, reason for lack of other species. We know the covenant survived the blast, but what about other species? : Librarian "The indexing of sentient species may have irreversible effects on the surviving non-sentient species. We will have extinction events and irreparable environmental harm on at least 18 worlds. Current projections estimate post-archival cataclysm on as many as 31 worlds."

so the Librarian probably ruined all of the other worlds during the indexing process and all we know of is that Humans and Covenant lived. But also, How did the Covenant get off of the Ark?

Because we know the Covenant was on the Ark because : Librarian "We have no time to spare, Didact. Every vessel we can fill, we send to the Ark. I dare not cease the mission."

*EDIT*
This part is very strange and was left out from the Terminal transcript at the beginning of this thread.

There is a sequence in Terminal 3 that is Guilty Spark trying to access somethign, possibly the Ark. This is how a part of it goes down:

(Upon initial access)

Warning: Your intrusion has been logged.

04-343 (errant): Excuse me?

Your intrusion has been logged. And now it has been halted.

04-343 (errant): On whose authority?

Advice: Any further attempt to access [insects under stones] will result in your immediate addition to the local Sentinels' targeting ledger.

04-343 (errant): Vexation! I am the Monitor of--

Judgment: Your authority means nothing here.

04-343 (errant): Impatience!

04-343 (errant): I have told you who I am. Who are you?

All our makers once held dear.

[Alexandria before the Fire].

04-343 (errant): Sincere apology. But how--

Explanation: This facility is host to the [Libarians'] final--

04-343 (errant): The archive is intact?! Then our makers' plan--

But also contains [bellows, crucible, castings]

04-343 (errant): A what?

[bellows, crucible]--

04-343 (errant): A foundry?

04-343 (errant): For what purpose?!

Advice: Any further attempt to access will result--

04-343 (errant): Indignant!

--immediate addition to local Sentinels' targeting ledger.

(Upon shutdown, from Mendicant Bias--"I see you, reclaimer.")

HUH???

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 08 October 2007 - 10:23 AM.

#24 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

Sorry, Can't Edit

Kinetic flipped on a light in my head when he mentioned "Forges" in the other thread.

So, Guilty Spark is most definitely just finding out about and attempting to access The Ark in this little tidbit from the Terminals:

Terminal Three

(Upon initial access)

04-343 (errant): Excuse me?

Your intrusion has been logged. And now it has been halted.

04-343 (errant): On whose authority?

Advice: Any further attempt to access [insects under stones] will result in your immediate addition to the local Sentinels' targeting ledger.

04-343 (errant): Vexation! I am the Monitor of--

Judgment: Your authority means nothing here.

04-343 (errant): Impatience!

04-343 (errant): I have told you who I am. Who are you?

All our makers once held dear.

[Alexandria before the Fire].

04-343 (errant): Sincere apology. But how--

Explanation: This facility is host to the [Libarians'] final--

04-343 (errant): The archive is intact?! Then our makers' plan--

But also contains [bellows, crucible, castings]

04-343 (errant): A what?

[bellows, crucible]--

04-343 (errant): A foundry?

04-343 (errant): For what purpose?!

Advice: Any further attempt to access will result--

04-343 (errant): Indignant!

--immediate addition to local Sentinels' targeting ledger.

(Upon shutdown, from Mendicant Bias--"I see you, reclaimer.")

(Upon being rerouted to new destination within Terminal)

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 08 October 2007 - 12:23 PM.

#25 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,698 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Simple. Guilty Spark was talking to HK-47.

#26 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

Simple. Guilty Spark was talking to HK-47.

Who is that?

#27 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,698 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

Who is that?

I suggest playing Knights of the Old Republic and then rereading that conversation.

Anyway, another thing that might be overlooked here are the little bits of dialogue that can be heard after a Terminal message shuts down and moves on to a new one. I'm sure somebody out there is hard at work deciphering what's being said there. (And something has to be of meaning there)

#28 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

An good question that Bungie decided not to address. Not explicitly at least. Keep in mind though that the Flood is extra-galactic in origin. The Forerunners don't seem to know where they came from. That being the case, they left behind samples for study as the potential exists that the Flood is not confined to the galaxy and therefor would not be eradicated by the array effect.

They believe it to be a cycle of sorts. One that they want to stop.

That makes sense, a good explanation. Thanks.

Personally, I would have wiped out every single one of them to lower the chances of a local universe (damn, thats a big local) infection. If they had done that, I wouldn't have to play Cortana on Legendary. Thanks a lot Forerunners. :rolleyes:

Edited by MoNuckah, 08 October 2007 - 12:58 PM.

#29 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

In terms of dipshittery, I think keeping samples is far less boneheaded then the security of the Flood specimen. I mean, it seems opening a couple of doors was all it took to release the most virulent, threatening species the Universe has ever known back into the wild.

#30 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:10 PM

In terms of dipshittery, I think keeping samples is far less boneheaded then the security of the Flood specimen. I mean, it seems opening a couple of doors was all it took to release the most virulent, threatening species the Universe has ever known back into the wild.

Or a computer code writer who feels like hes not getting paid enough, so he steals flood samples in a shaving cream container.

#31 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,950 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

Just sat down and read everything. Very, very interesting. I have so many thoughts and questions that it'll be hard to write everything down at once. Perhaps when I have more time I'll be able to share my theories.

#32 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

Just sat down and read everything. Very, very interesting. I have so many thoughts and questions that it'll be hard to write everything down at once. Perhaps when I have more time I'll be able to share my theories.

You better write that shit down and share it.

Voc, I'm still waiting to hear what you think.

#33 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

I've got a lot, including a rough timeline of events...it'll be here tonight.

#34 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

Or a computer code writer who feels like hes not getting paid enough, so he steals flood samples in a shaving cream container.

Damn. What movie is that from? Some dudez try to steal some thing using a shaving cream container decoy that pops open to reveal some cryogenic tubes or something... its going to drive me crazy now.

#35 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

Are you serious? Try using Chaos Theory to figure it out. Or Archaelogy. Or you could be a girl and apply some Paleo-Botany.

#36 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:03 PM

Are you serious? Try using Chaos Theory to figure it out. Or Archaelogy. Or you could be a girl and apply some Paleo-Botany.

Ahem. Thanks mattacus.

In my defense, I only saw it once.

Edit: Newman!

Edited by MoNuckah, 09 October 2007 - 02:04 PM.

#37 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

Halo Timeline.

I have a more in depth breakdown of the players, places and beliefs that dictated the sequence of events later...

#38 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:43 AM

What do you think Guilty Spark meant when he said to Master Chief right before we killed him "You Are Forerunner." The Terminals seem to contradict. Was Guilty Spark mistaken? Could it be possible that he has no idea who/what his creators were so he assumes, since we are Reclaimers that we were Forerunner?

#39 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:02 AM

Both terms, Forerunner and Reclaimer both allude to a link to a predecessor. Are humans the same species as the Forerunners? Clearly not. Earth was discovered by the Librarian's expedition very late into her mission.

But Chief's actions make him a Forerunner. He is trying to protect life - all life - acting as an extension of the Forerunner's spiritual beliefs. He is their instrument, to steal a quote and put it in correct context.

So, same species, direct descendant, matching DNA? Nope. But Forerunner? Yes. Undoubtedly. Even Gravemind concedes: "Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness. A father's sins pass to his son."

And maybe that's the most accurate assessment we will be given. Children. Adopted, surely, but children nonetheless.

#40 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:09 AM

Well played, urk. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq