Photo

Music

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#41 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

I, too, have listened to her Greatest Hits album--released after only four total albums. But, and this is important, I only listened because listening to other music carried with it a penalty of an eternity in hell, and an enormous Canadian who makes all 6'3" 250 lbs. of me look tiny wanted to listen to her, and I wasn't stupid enough to argue.

#42 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

lol, good old missions.

#43 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

Listening to:
Brinstar Depths
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#44 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

Sweet CDs I've picked up lately, phenomenal ones in bold:

Cartel - Chroma - lead singer's got a great voice, really catchy, poppy stuff, not the deepest lyrics, but it's all very well put together and produced... play songs like "Minstrel's Prayer" for the girlfriend if you feel like being cheesy (especially you Sharpe)

Ivory - Ivory EP - talented band that seems to have a lot in common with the Coldplays of the world. I like every song on this EP. "Don't Go" is probably my favorite at the moment, though.

The Fray - How to Save a Life - Damn. How much pop did I buy? Yeah, this shit's really good for the girlfriend, too. Some really good earworm/musical cocaine singles, like "All at Once" and "Over My Head (Cable Car)"

Minus the Bear - Menos el Oso - Really cool band - really phenomenal musicians, deep lyrics (although a lot of the songs are about drinking and sex, so Van get excited and Supa, use caution) I'm definitely going to be picking up other releases from these guys- just pop in the CD, listen to the whole thing, and pick up new nuances (both musical and lyrical) with every play. "Puchaca Sunrise" and "The Pig War" are both great songs from Menos el Oso.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois - This shit is whack. Crazy indie folk music, and it is so fun to listen to. Songs are deep, the titles of the songs are insane, and the music defies any attempt at categorization. "Chicago" is a good example of his work, if you're interested.

I also just picked up Frances the Mute by the Mars Volta. I'm stoked to listen to it. I'm downloading One Fell Swoop by the Spill Canvas - I'm really excited about that one, too. Woohoo. Has anybody listened to Vheissu by Thrice? Any comments/reviews on that one? I'm downloading it, too, off a recommendation, but I have no idea what to expect.

#45 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Two more sick CDs: The Spill Canvas - One Fell Swoop Thrice - Vheissu

#46 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

Okay, I have a new CD that I NEED to find:
Posted Image
Kashmir - No Balance Palace

Here it is, but I do not intend to pay 24 dollars to import this bad boy. If anybody has this CD (fat chance, I know) and feels like giving/selling it to me, that'd be amazing. I haven't figured out a way to download it either, as ITunes doesn't carry it (at least in the States) and my BitTorrent download isn't connecting (there's only like 2 or 3 seeders, if that).

#47 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

Sorry 'cuse, my distributor doesn't carry it either!

#48 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hey man, no worries... they're a Danish band, and the CD is not a new release anyways (2005).

Please tell me you carry Minus the Bear, though. I don't need any of their stuff (I own it all already :D), but it would be a shame to own a record store in Washington and not be supporting those boys. My favorite CD of theirs is They Make Beer Commercials Like This, a 6 song EP that pwns my ears off, but their two full-length albums, Highly Refined Pirates and the most recent and well-known one, Menos El Oso, are both really good. Their sound is really different, but it's so sick. Best description (not my own- every review of their CD says something to this end) of their music is that it's music to drive a long road trip to, or to lie in bed with your "special lady friend" to.

Minus the Bear

If your distributor carries Triple Crown Records (the Receiving End of Sirens, Lux Courageous, As Tall as Lions), do you think you could find out the release date of the new As Tall As Lions joint? Their site just says Summer 06.

Also, ditto for Hopeless records (old Thrice, Avenged Sevenfold, Ever We Fall)- any idea when the new All Time Low EP is gonna be released? Again, Summer 06 is not an acceptable release date for the noobaCuse.

#49 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

we have Minus The Bear, but I can't remember the specific album, I think it's the newest, I'll check the other stuff what I go to work at the Biz.

#50 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

I've got two sick concert tickets already: June 18th - Gatsby's American Dream, This Providence, Waking Ashland, and My American Heart July 21st - Circa Survive, the Receiving End of Sirens, Days Away, and Youinseries Sweet.

#51 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

S'all about Project Pat.
don't tread on me

#52 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:39 PM

Since there probably aren't going to be a whole lot more CDs that rock my boat before the end of the year, here are my top 3 of the year: 1) John Mayer - Continuum 2) Incubus - Light Grenades 3) Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me What are you guys' picks?

#53 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:24 AM

All That Remains - "The Fall of Ideals" and Deftones - "Saturday Night Wrist" are the only two memorable ones. I'll be honest though, I've been listening to a lot of unreleased /has yet to be release material this year. One band I've had a hard on for since they they started as Smugface was City Sleeps. They've got a new album called "Walker's Ridge" and it's pure aces. This year, I've been listening to a lot of Spoken, Silverchair, Oceansize, Poison the Well, Burnt By the Sun, Demon Hunter, and more recently, System of the Down, this year. I was disappointed with more albums than I can mention this year...sadly. My best discovery this year was August Burns Red. Best. Band. Ever. I listened to them more than any other single album and they're junk came out last year.

#54 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Lets see what is on Nightshade's iPod...

Main bands on the iPod:

1. Thrice
+ Suggested songs from them +
- Kill Me Quickly
- Silhouette
- Artist in the Ambulance
- Paper Tigers
- The Abolition of Man
- Cold Cash and Colder Hearts
- The Red Death
- The Earth will Shake
- Of Dust and Nations
- Image of the Invisible (My personal favorite from Thrice)
- All thats Left
- Blood Clots and Black Holes
- Don't Tell and We Wont Ask
- In Years to Come
- Like Moths to Flame
- The Melting Point of Wax

2. 10 Years
- Wasteland
- Seasons to Cycles
- Autumn Effect

3. Disturbed
+ Suggested song from them +
- Conflict
- Down with the Sickness
- Prayer (Awesome with Gears of War)
- Hell (Awesome with Gears of War)

4. Breaking Benjamin
- Away
- Sooner of Later
- Follow Me
- Had Enough
- Unknown Soldier (Good with Splinter Cell: Double Agent)
- Breath
- The Diary of Jane
- The Diary of Jane Acoustic
- So Cold (Great with Splinter Cell: Double Agent)
- So Cold Acoustic (Even better with Splinter Cell: Double Agent)

5. Korn
- Twisted Transister
- Right Now
- Coming Undone (Great with Gears of War)
- Blind

6. Tool
- Vicarious
- Jambi
- Schism

7. Puddle of Mudd
- Out of my Head
- Nobody Told Me
- Blurry
- Nothing Left to Lose

8. Sevendust
- Ugly
- Suffocate

9. Nickelback
- Savin' Me
- Photograph
- Far Away

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Can't Stop
- Dani California
- Californiacation

11. Flyleaf
- I'm So Sick
- Fully Alive

12. Papa Roach
- To Be Loved
- This House is not a Home

13. System of a Down
- Hypnotize
- Chop Suey

14. Bullet for my Valentine
- Four Words to Choke Upon
- Tears Don't Fall

15. Skillet
- Open Wounds
- My Obsession
- Forsaken
- Collide
- Rebirthing
- Imperfection
- Savior

Other random songs I like, but not the band for the most part...
- Anna Molly - Incubus
- Ready to Fall - Rise Against
- Takes my Pain Away - Jimmy Eat World
- Slow Chemical - Finger Eleven
- Broken - Seether and Amy Lee
- Till I Collapse - Eminem
- Liar - Ill Nino
- Do You Call my Name - Ra (Awesome with Gears of War)
- Super Beast - Rob Zombie
- Dragula - Rob Zombie (Great with Gears of War)
- Bat Country - Avenged Sevenfold
- We Fall We Fall - Dead Celebrity Status
- Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue - Toby Keith

Well this is only a small sample of the music on my iPod, I hope you enjoy.

Edited by Nightshade, 30 November 2006 - 08:34 PM.

#55 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

I'm currently listening to: Chimaira - Resurrection Raised Fist - Sound of the Republic As Blood Runs Black - Allegiance Reflux - The Illusion of Democracy Good stuff.

#56 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

I went to the Vega4/Augustana (famous song=Boston) concert last night, and it was a fantastic show. Both bands are worth checking out. If they end up coming to a city near you, go fo sho.

EDIT: I just downloaded Vega4's CD for $5 off their myspace page, and they're my new favorite band, Vega4's Myspace, Augustana's Myspace

Edited by Vanwadilion, 20 January 2007 - 08:43 AM.

#57 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:54 PM

1) John Mayer - Continuum
2) Incubus - Light Grenades
3) Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me

I wrote that the day after the Incubus album dropped. I was just so excited to have a new Incubus CD that the fanboy in me posted that. However, if Morning View is Halo 1, then Light Grenades is Halo 2, and most of the songs on the new disc are just not that great (some fit right in with the classics, but not many.) My amended list:

2) Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me
3) Gatsbys American Dream - Gatsbys American Dream
4) Kevin Devine - Put Your Ghost to Rest
5) As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions

I really want to put Lupe Fiasco on that list, and I initially love the newest Strokes (just got it, even though it dropped in January of 2006), but I just can't yet... I also really want to put the Justin Timberlake CD on there. There. I said it. Mostly for Timbaland's production skillz, but go ahead and fire away...

Edited by Syracuse022, 21 January 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#58 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

If any of you have any affinity for Snow Patrol, you should go to their concert. They put on a really great show, and they just kicked off their American tour, so go see them.

2) Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me

Why did you consider Continuum the best album of the year?

I'm seeing Brand New in concert in a couple weeks; hopefully they're as good live as they are on their album.

#59 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

Because I'm a John Mayer whore, and every single song on that album is well-written and well-performed. He is a phenomenal guitar player. Let me know how that Brand New concert is, I'd love to see them live...

#60 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:10 AM

MetallicA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq