Photo

Playstation 3

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#41 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

I don't see why they would alter their business model to include the memory hardware with the console purchase. I remember the first time I bought a playstation. I was about to walk out the door with the PS and FFVII, and the smartass behind the counter asked if I wanted to be able to save my game. I was shocked. Shocked, I tell you, to discover that the bastards wanted extra money on top of the console purchase, to be able to save a game in an RPG. But I paid it. Everyone pays it. They've been playing that bullshit card for years. Why wouldn't they continue to thusly gouge the customer?

#42 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:31 AM

Well, I guess that's true. But still, saying "you need this to be able to save a game" is a little different to saying "you need this to be able to play a game" especially on something called a Playstation.

#43 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

It is an untrustworthy way of selling peripherals at the end of every sale. It?s a prehistoric idea. Mat, that makes PS3 only appeal to the PS3 club. Sony isn?t broadening their audience. No HD makes me drop the console regardless of how small the processor is... A starter card should come with every PS2 out there.

UHYVE... what? You just spotted a silly comparison. If I CAN NOT save my game (especially in a FFWHATEVER title) and progress with each session, then I?m not really playing, am I?

A HD is the only major innovation Microsoft has brought to the industry, beyond all of Nintendo?s work.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#44 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

I wouldn't say the HD is the only major thing Microsoft has brought to the industry. Without Microsoft, our little clan here wouldn't even exist. Nintendo didn't even think online play was a very good idea until recently, thanks to the success of xbox live. Microsoft has done a ton, and out of the three companies they seem to be the trendsetters, not the followers.

#45 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

And LIVE, of course. I think I was more focused on the hardware side of the discussion when I said that. LIVE is a standard that all other companies for the 7th generation console war will mold themselves off of.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#46 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:41 AM

Is it the seventh generation already? Just out of curiosity, I'd really like to see a list of the generations and their major players, if someone happens to have a link out there...

#47 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

SCEE VP says PS3 will cost 499 to 599 euros

In a radio interview with G?n?rations Europe 1 yesterday, George Fornay -- president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe -- let a little something slip: the PlayStation 3 will cost between €499 and €599. That's somewhere between $613 to $736 in American dollars! He was sure to point out that while this might sound like a lot of money for a game system, it was in fact cheap for a Blu-ray compatible playback system. Yay?

Since I can't seem to get the radio stream to work (and don't understand French if I could) Update: The radio stream has started cooperating, though the French thing is still in the way. If you speak Fran?ais, you can jump to the 8-minute mark for the scoop. The news comes to us (via Google's translation services) from Play France. Now, this could be a language barrier problem, but the untranslated page still reads "entre 499 euros et 599 euros donc."

Sony already told us it was going to be expensive and we already know the parts ain't cheap, so either Mr. Fornay is trying to set up an unrealistic price expectation -- only to have it shattered when the PS3 price is revealed to be $7.50 -- or he broke the first (and second) rules of the Sony executive's PS3 club: don't talk about the PS3. This thing is going to cost that much just like the PSP was gonna cost $500.

Source

#48 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

Release date and costs from Sony conference, looks like it's not horribly expensive.... Area: Japan Release Date: November 11th Cost: 59800 yen Area: US/Canada Release Date: November 17th Cost - 20gb hard drive: $499 / 549CND Cost - 60gb hard drive: $599 / 659CND Area: Europe Release Date: November 17th Cost - 20gb hard drive: 499 euros Cost - 60gb hard drive: 599 euros

#49 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

Here's the IGN article on the PS3 prices and dates.

E3 2006: PS3 Date and Price Announced
System to come in two configurations, will cost up to $599.
by Jeff Haynes

May 8, 2006 - In a last minute bombshell, Kaz Hirai announced the specific date and details of the PS3 launch. The PS3 will be arranged in two separate system configurations: a 20 and a 60 gigabyte hard drive system. What's more, Japan will see the PS3 first on November 11th, at a price for 59,800 yen for the 20 gigabyte system setup. The 60 gigabyte system will be open ended and set by retailers. North America, Europe and Australasia will see the system six days later on November 17th. The price? $499 dollars or 499 Euros for the 20 gig version, and $599 dollars or 599 Euros for the 60 gig version.

Hirai also announced that Sony will try to get a grand total of six million units shipped by March 31, 2007, which is Sony's fiscal date: 2 million PS3s will be available during the initial launch window, another 2 million will be shipped before the end of 2006, and finally another 2 before March 31st.

We'll have more details shortly.

Notice how in Japan retailers will set their own price for the 60GB version. This will encourage the Japanese to do some of those crazy promos they do where you sign up for internet, tv, and they give you a massive discount.

The big news came at the end of the conference, check out this article about THE NEW PS3 CONTROLLER!

E3 2006: Sony reveals the PS3 controller
Say goodbye to the Batarang! Say hello to six degrees of freedom!
by Andrew Alfonso

May 8, 2006 - Today at SCEA's E3 press conference, Ken Kutaragi came on stage near the end of the conference to deliver the final piece of the PS3 puzzle: the controller. Last E3, Sony showed off a completely different controller from the usual Dual Shock 2 rev, and was reminiscent of a Batarang.

However, it seems that Sony has listened to the criticisms of fans and it's clients and have reverted back to the traditional Dual Shock design for the PS3, which will make gamers happier. In addition, the new Dual Shock 3 will be wireless, with a USB connection in case you want to be wired.

The biggest surprise was when Phil Harrison joined Ken Kutaragi on stage to show off the secret feature of the Dual Shock 3: six degrees of freedom. Using technology similar to what we've seen in past games, players can now move the controller freely in order to manipulate the action on the screen.

This was shown by Dylan Jobe, who is the producer/director of Warhawk, which will make an appearance on the system. In the short two minute demo, Jobe was shown flying his craft by handling the controller in a similar fashion to that of an aircraft stick. Before that, Harrison also showed two demos using this feature, with a helicoptor and the traditional rubber duck.

We'll have more information on the DS3 as soon as we get our hands on it!

So apparently Sony took from both the MS and Nintendo schools of thought. They added six degrees of freedom a la' Wii wave the controller to move your character, and a wireless controller with usb to connect wired if desired along with a ps jewel in the middle a la' 360.

One thing I'm wondering is that something else must be included for the 599 version because 40 extra gigs isn't worth $100.

#50 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

E3 2006: Sony reveals the PS3 controller

Say goodbye to the Batarang! Say hello to six degrees of freedom!

Today at SCEA's E3 press conference, Ken Kutaragi came on stage near the end of the conference to deliver the final piece of the PS3 puzzle: the controller. Last E3, Sony showed off a completely different controller from the usual Dual Shock 2 rev, and was reminiscent of a Batarang.

However, it seems that Sony has listened to the criticisms of fans and it's clients and have reverted back to the traditional Dual Shock design for the PS3, which will make gamers happier. In addition, the new Dual Shock 3 will be wireless, with a USB connection in case you want to be wired.

The biggest surprise was when Phil Harrison joined Ken Kutaragi on stage to show off the secret feature of the Dual Shock 3: six degrees of freedom. Using technology similar to what we've seen in past games, players can now move the controller freely in order to manipulate the action on the screen.

This was shown by Dylan Jobe, who is the producer/director of Warhawk, which will make an appearance on the system. In the short two minute demo, Jobe was shown flying his craft by handling the controller in a similar fashion to that of an aircraft stick. Before that, Harrison also showed two demos using this feature, with a helicoptor and the traditional rubber duck.

We'll have more information on the DS3 as soon as we get our hands on it!

Ign

#51 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

I posted first gamble, sorry to steal your thunder.

#52 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, but yours doesn't have big blue text.

#53 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:48 PM

I posted first gamble, sorry to steal your thunder.

You posted 3rd. You just edited your post to include the PS3 controller after me. UHYVE posted the price before you in this thread. Then right around when he posted the price, I put it in the E3 thread. So, you?re 3rd. Mkay pumpkin?

#54 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

Alright, the compromise is that I posted second. We're talking about this thread, so I posted prices after uhyve and controller news after you. So I'm second m'kay.

#55 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

hahahah

#56 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:03 AM

I just a page with lots of translated interviews with Sony execs. The bit I'm interested in is the section on Linux. If it's been posted before, sorry about that.

[quote name='http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30746']Since PS3 has Linux installed Linux programming is allowed. License fees are not required for individual developers. Licensed PS3 game developers can get SDK and technical support by SCE, on the other hand in the Linux world they don't have to pay license fee but the support is minimum. In Linux, Cell is under the hardware layer of the OS supervisor, but things inlcuding SPE are expected to be open to developers. But we don't intend to mix the PS3 as a game platform and the PS3 in the Linux world.[/quote]
Does this mean that we'll be able to use homebrew without having to crack the PS3? If so, that could mean that the entire Nintendo library of games may not just be available on the Wii, but also through emulation on the PS3.... and for free.

Also, I noticed this video of the PS3s GUI, it's pretty much identicle to the PSPs main menu except it has more icons. A few of the cool features include mouse/keyboard support, a web browser and a really pretty moving background:

http://pspupdates.qj...pg/49/aid/38576

EDIT: Wow, no visible brick powering the PS3. "The power supply unit of PS3 is internal. The quietness is equal to the PS2."

#57 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

If this is true, Sony is lame- No preowned ps3 games

#58 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:28 AM

If this is true, Sony is lame- No preowned ps3 games

Gamesradar is by the same company as OXM and OPM (Official Playstation Magazine) aswell as a few other magazines. I wouldn't doubt it if it was true.

#59 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Once again, Ken Kutaragi has opened his fuckin arrogant mouth. People over at the sony marketing and pr dept must be getting tired of his blabbing. Apparently if you drop $600 for a ps3, you're getting a basic config which will be outdated once the advanced ps3 configs come out.

- games on PS3 are running on the PS3 with "basic configuration" - software will have different relationship with hardware (including non-gaming applications) in the future - software module will be made inside the PS3 (such as OS?) so PS3 will have no problem adopting new hardware parts (this doesn't mean you can upgrade but just different versions of PS3) - thus two models of PS3 are actually two different configurations, there might be other configurations in future, such as: enhanced version of CELL, more memory etc. The higher-end model of PS3 might be released in future.

Kotaku had this to say

Mind boggling. They are actually planning on techno-schisming the PS3's user base even more. The advantage of consoles over PCs from a development standpoint lies mainly in the fact that it's a stable platform with one real configuration. But Sony is basically approaching the PS3 like a computer... a move sure to frustrate developers as much as it confuses gamers.

#60 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:14 AM

Sony is fucking themselves over. Wow.
don't tread on me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq