Bioshock

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

Oh, btw. If you want to play on Hard (DO NOT DO IT ON YOUR FIRST PLAYTHROUGH) hit the Guide Button, go to your account, and click on "Game Defaults". Under "General" there will be the option to change to default difficulty. Bump that over to "Hard" and start the demo. The "Hard" option will be selected for you and you can press A to continue. Be warned, it is a lot harder. Don't even attempt the last fight if you don't know what you're doing.

#22 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

I can't wait to play this. I attempted to download it last night but got about 20% downloaded after an hour and a half and I needed to get to sleep. I'll finish it this afternoon and play it

#23 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

I can't wait to play this. I attempted to download it last night but got about 20% downloaded after an hour and a half and I needed to get to sleep.

I'll finish it this afternoon and play it

You don't have low-power downloading on?

#24 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

You don't have low-power downloading on?

*Researches low-power downloading*

Wow, I did not know about that lol.

#25 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Just finished the demo. Very impressive, very atmospheric. My biggest complaint is that it felt a little too much on rails at some points. Overall I can see why this is getting so much attention.

#26 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

Arg! I can't wait to get home and play this! I was only able to get to the very end of the (best evar) intro where the bathysphere opens, then I had Baby Duty to attend to. From what I've read on NeoGAF, it looks like a can't miss demo.

#27 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:09 AM

One of my favorite aspects of the game is the explored idea of an impossible utopia. I've only played the demo and read bits and pieces about the game, but from what I gather this is the theme. The perfect human society, built by humanities best and brightest and inhabited by the same, is nothing more than a fancy illusion. It is doomed to destruction and violence like all other human societies. Man's corrupt nature follows him wherever he goes. A society that need no "God" nor "king" (as a huge red banner informs us) will devolve into an anarchic catastrophe. Men need rulers, police and military forces to rein in their corruption and they need faith in God for objective moral foundation. Otherwise man will demonstrate little concern for "petty morality" as the demo suggests. This petty morality is seen by the founder of Rapture as a snare for true human advancement and scientific exploration. When the citizens of Rapture attempt to become more than human by the use of gene altering plasmids, the city starts to collapse in a nightmare around them. It's one of the best story concepts for a game I've seen.

#28 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

I just finished the demo. This will be a day 1 purchase for me. I really enjoyed Condemned but got sick of the zap and smack technique. In this game you have a zap but it is not your only weapon. When the demo is over is proudly states that you will have 70 plasmids and gene altering somethings in the whole game. I really enjoyed the melee combat in this too. Shooting felt a little weird but that is how it should be when you are a normal guy picking up a machine gun in an unknown underwater world. Not everyone can have Master Chief accuracy. This game has so much to it and I think its going to be amazing. The atmosphere is just awesome and I'm literally nervous about how I'm going to take down one of those Big Daddys. I guess I'll find out next week...

#29 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

Valor, I'm glad to see you enjoyed the demo - do you think you'll buy or at least rent it now? Regarding the story, another big thing that I'm happy to see is that it touches on the consequences of the super powers that the game is throwing your way. That first plasmid sequence is incredible - it is very clear that these inhuman abilities are coming at a dire cost, and I can't wait to see how they explore that theme further. In an interview, Ken Levine discussed later areas of the game (minor, vague spoiler)
Spoiler
. Simply awesome. This game is just dripping with atmosphere - the audio might be the best I've ever heard in a game, and the atmospheric effects (water, fire, electricity, and of course the general lighting system) are more than technical bullet points for the back of the box - they are absolutely used to tell the story, first and foremost. The lighting is used to incredible and dramatic impact. Taking away the light at key points really adds so much to the tension and the drama, and it was done masterfully in a few places in that demo. Highlight of the demo for me was
Spoiler
. Eerie and awesome... Oh,
Spoiler
was pretty amazing too. I also noticed that it definitely felt constrained and linear, but part of that was largely because it was meant to be a tutorial, your introduction to the game's mechanics. Options should open up as the game progresses. Keep in mind the levels will never feel particularly open: you're in an underwater city. What will open up are your abilities and options for approaching different problems. I'm hoping that this game will deliver on all of the storytelling promise: I really want to feel like there's a moral implication for the choices I'm making. It's very likely that I'll buy this game on Day One. It's been a while since I really enjoyed a single player experience on the 360...

#30 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Probably gonna rent it or borrow it at this point. I was thinking of ignoring it altogether but the demo was really good. The intro plane crash/swim sequence had me hooked.

#31 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

Probably gonna rent it or borrow it at this point. I was thinking of ignoring it altogether but the demo was really good. The intro plane crash/swim sequence had me hooked.

That was great. Walking around the level I took forever cause I would just go to places and look around and out into the sea.

I literally grinned ear to ear when
Spoiler
it was so gorgeous.

I'm going to buy this and probably just turn it into Gamestop and put the money towards my Halo 3 Legendary cause its still not paid off.

#32 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,942 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

Ugh. I just pre-ordered the collectors edition.

$86.78

I'm still not used to how much sales tax runs you. I should probably call EB and see how much it's really going to be for the Legendary Edition, because I only put down the MSRP for it.

#33 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:06 AM

Got to play this last night. Amazing. The PS3 fans on many boards are pissed they missed this, and rightly so.

#34 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

Some cool Achievements. I completely forgot to mention how excited I am about the research aspect of this game...

#35 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I like the ammo creation. Weapon and ammo creation/tweaking is something I'd like to see in more games in general. What exactly is 'researching' anyways?

#36 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

You get a camera in Bioshock - you learn more about how to take down enemies effectively by taking research photographs of them. This isn't some bullshit game mechanic where if you take a picture of their foot, it unlocks the next "stage" of research, just because you went through the motions. You have to capture important parts and actions of the enemies to unlock new research. The possibilities here are AWESOME. I'm not gonna lie - I loved Pokemon Snap.

#37 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

I think an interesting story element would be to take away all of your Plasmid and Gene Tonic powers at some point late in the game, so the player can see how much he/she's come to depend on them; how close you've actually come to becoming as addicted to them as the demented citizens of Rapture. I can't wait to see how this game unfolds.

Edited by Kinetic, 14 August 2007 - 03:37 PM.

#38 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

I like "Atlas" a lot so far.

#39 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

I think an interesting story element would be to take away all of your Plasmid and Gene Tonic powers at some point late in the game, so the player can see how much he/she's come to depend on them; how close you've actually come to becoming as addicted to them as the demented citizens of Rapture.

I can't wait to see how this game unfolds.

LOL. Highlight the first spoiler in my post above (the one with three of them that I posted right after playing the demo for the first time)...

#40 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,693 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

LOL. Highlight the first spoiler in my post above (the one with three of them that I posted right after playing the demo for the first time)...

Great minds think alike?

Also:

Posted Image

Edited by Kinetic, 14 August 2007 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq