Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

New pants please? :blink:

#44 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:58 AM

Gears of War Gets Personal

The Coalition of Organized Governments says hello. New screens included.

Up to now we've all seen screens, video, and impressions of Gears of War. There are monstrous enemies, big guns, fiery explosions, and of course grisly chainsaws. But what about the men behind the death-dealing hardware? Where did these crazy Coalition fighters come from? Why are they obsessed with battling the ferocious Locust Horde? Why don't they just go play video games and forget about the real world? The answers are below. You'll find back stories for five of the main COG soldiers striving against the Locust threat. According to Microsoft, the screens below were taken using the in-game engine. The character poses were set up specifically for the shots.

Marcus Fenix

Son of the famed military scientist Adam Fenix, Marcus established a reputation as a brilliant soldier during the Pendulum Wars, earning numerous field promotions and decorations. He was on a fast track to an outstanding military career until the war with the Locust Horde.

Posted Image

When the Horde breached Jacinto Plateau's defenses, Marcus defied orders to save his father, who was under siege at East Barricade Academy. He was too late. Marcus was charged with dereliction of duty and was sentenced to 40 years in Jacinto Maximum Security Penitentiary.

Four years into his sentence, the Horde overtook the penitentiary but Marcus was rescued by his best friend Dominic Santiago, so that he could rejoin the fight against the unstoppable Locust Horde.

Dominic Santiago

Dom is a vocal, colorful and yet practical soldier. He's loyal to a fault, especially with his friends, and has no patience for those that think of themselves first.

Dominic has always believed in his country and his leaders, but his faith has been slipping in the face of this endless war. Dom lost his wife in the Emergence Day cataclysm. For him, the fight against the Horde is deeply personal.

Posted Image

By testifying in Marcus' defense, Dom prevented an execution, but was forced to accept the heavy judgment the military tribunal handed down to his childhood friend. Never forgetting, Dom seized his first opportunity to save Marcus' life, and convinced Lieutenant Minh Young Kim to enlist Marcus into his squad.

Minh Young Kim

Lieutenant Kim is a proud, dedicated and ambitious soldier, a by-the-books believer in all things COG. To Kim, the Coalition of Organized Governments is humanity's only hope for survival and feels that it is an honor and privilege to serve as a Gear.

Posted Image

Kim moved quickly through the ranks, but after a run of bad luck he was left leading the misfits of Delta Squad. Feeling undervalued and overlooked, Kim has something to prove.

Only the strength of Dom's faith -- and the scarcity of experienced soldiers - convinced Kim to consider bringing former prisoner Fenix into his squad.

Augustus Cole

Cole, aka "The Cole Train", is an adrenaline junkie and former professional thrashball player. He craves action, and prefers to take the most direct path to the Locust Horde in any situation. What he lacks in finesse, he makes up for in raw energy.

Posted Image

Along with his child-like enthusiasm and charm, Cole is supremely confident in his own abilities to overcome anything, regardless of the odds?and he hasn't been proven wrong yet.

Cole and Damon Baird have served together for years, and he treats Baird as he would an older brother with a younger brother's license to torment.

Damon Baird

Despite being a reluctant and cynical soldier, Baird excels at the military life. Baird is perfectly capable of being a successful officer, but has never been promoted due to his poor attitude, short temper and his unwillingness to take on any responsibility.

Posted Image

Baird's greatest strength is his intelligence. He not only fights the Locust, but he studies and observes them as well. He's the closest the COG have to an expert, and when Baird tells his comrades to be quiet and listen, they know it is in their best interest to do exactly that.

Baird's only motivation is self preservation. He's willing to do whatever it takes to get through the war alive -- even march along side a troublemaker like Fenix.

Ign

#45 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

Gears of War - August EGM

Umm.. so this magazine just came in the mail, and the screenshots of Gears of War were so sexy I decided to share with you guys... after I, um, took care of some business first.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#46 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

I feel like I'm coming down with something on October 2nd...

#47 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for posting these screens and those scans. It's true that pushing (sometimes inventing) all those mapped out details in the game really make it looked fleshed out. Not so much authentic to our world, but it creates A-class visual interest.
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#48 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

Nightly's crew, once again, being asses because hating the Xbox has always been 'in.' Seph, who prides himself a Kingdom Hearts fan (he's a guy apparently), claims that the Gears of War game cover is horrible. I posted Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II's respective covers, and now his bestest buddy is trying to call me on it...

Click here for the convo.

#49 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

What a jackass.

#50 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

Actually, I have a widescreen laptop, which provides great room for pictures larger than the forum border. :P
I got your back, Dual.

#51 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

I have to level with you guys. When I first saw this game, I thought; 'Pretty. Pretty repetitive that is.' But, now, after checking my biases at the door, and seeing more of the game, I really really cant wait to see this in 92'' of 1080i GLORY. Its a good thing Mrs. MoNuckah can sleep with earplugs, I'll be rawking this late into the night. Gloryhalleluejaamen.

#52 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:00 PM

IGN's guide to the characters of the Coalition.

#53 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

IGN's guide to the characters of the Coalition.

Go back a page. :lol:

#54 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

I feel like I'm coming down with something on October 2nd...

I think that's someone's birthday too... crazy.
don't tread on me

#55 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Doh!

#56 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

Same old E3 demo, but with CliffyB adressing the audience and fielding questions beforehand at Google Video. I found some of the answers interesting...

-There will be vehicles
-And bosses (hopefully they fit better in this game than they did in Halo- I think they will)
-Remember Jaime Griesemer's "30 seconds of fun" quote? It's caught on, I guess, because that's what he says Gears of War has now
-Not that many people from Epic working on GoW, considering the scope of the project. At one point there were 40 to 45, now (at E3) just 20 to 25. Of course, they are working off of their own engine, so that stuff is out of the way and those employees weren't factored in

#57 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Something big

#58 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

As small as that was, it has me excited. The big answer to the big question: October when?
I got your back, Dual.

#59 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:20 AM

Artworks of Gears of War

#60 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

Sweet, I feel a graphic novel coming on.

Release date slip? Game possibly coming out in September

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq