Halo: Reach

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

Well, Microsoft's E3 conference starts in 5 minutes, so we'll get to find out whether Halo:Reach is the next proper Halo game, or just some DLC for Halo Wars... god I hope it's not DLC.

Edit: Wow, people suck this year for streaming the conferences. Gamespot doesn't load and gametrailers has really sucky sound.

Edited by UHYVE, 01 June 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

Halo: Reach was properly announced after the ODST demo at the Microsoft press conference. It has been a secret project being worked on by Bungie. Great teaser, awesome music as always. Purchase of ODST grants access to the Reach multiplayer beta. "Reach Falls 2010"!

#3 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

I think we can hypothesize that Halo: Reach will be a prequel to the original Halo trilogy. Can't wait.

#4 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

First, AWESOME. Second, I'm confused. I thought Bungie was getting out of the Halo business after ODST?

#5 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

First, AWESOME.
Second, I'm confused. I thought Bungie was getting out of the Halo business after ODST?

Yeah that's what's been said. When Joe Staten announced another team at Bungie has been working on a Secret Project and then announced Reach I was very surprised.

I have to say that in order to develop this game so quickly, this has to be on the same Halo 3 Engine. It may be a totally different type of game, but I can't see them bulding this from scratch in that time-frame.

#6 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

With this talk about a access to a MP beta this September the first thing that popped into my head was some kind of Halo MMO. God that would be odd. Anyway all this teasing and hyping is making me very excited, and this thread needs it's own forum thing, preferably just above the Halo one for timelines sake :tongue:
XBL: Nuvalari

#7 zenbaltz

zenbaltz

axisZENalive

• 199 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

I found a post by some kid on bnet about who the silhouettes are in the logo. "From the left they are Sam Kelly Master Chief Fred and Linda. Now my reasons for this are that Sam was the biggest spartan standing at alt least a head taller than Master Chief. Kelly Just sort of fits in with the other ones. The one in the middle just looks like Master Chief. In the books Fred specialized in combat knives and in the picture he is holding a knife. Finally Linda was a sniper." Makes sense to me. And I am going to guess that Reach ends up being a squad-based game.

#8 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

I think it's squad-based, but I highly doubt that those Spartans are as named. Bungie would really be tying themselves down fictionally by using those characters.

#9 vtancredi

vtancredi
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

I think it's squad-based, but I highly doubt that those Spartans are as named. Bungie would really be tying themselves down fictionally by using those characters.

Yeah, but if you look at the picture it makes a lot of sense.

#10 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, but if you look at the picture it makes a lot of sense.

Also, if you look at the picture, it makes a lot of sense that at least one of them is suffering mild anal leakage, but Cocop is saying that putting anal leakage in a video game seriously hamstrings the creative freedom of the writers and designers.

#11 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

First, AWESOME.
Second, I'm confused. I thought Bungie was getting out of the Halo business after ODST?

They said ODST would be their last bit of Halo 3 support, but they've danced around whether they were done with Halo. My money is on Reach being their final Halo project.

I think it's noteworthy that both ODST and Reach are going back and fleshing out the existing story, rather than pushing the universe forward. From Bungie's perspective, the end of Halo 3 seems to be as far along the Halo timeline as they want to explore. Halo Wars also reached back into the timeline to tell its story. I'm guessing Microsoft's new Halo Studio will be the first to tackle a post-Halo 3 game.

#12 CakeTown

CakeTown

This is Caketown!

• 122 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Yeah that's what's been said. When Joe Staten announced another team at Bungie has been working on a Secret Project and then announced Reach I was very surprised.

I have to say that in order to develop this game so quickly, this has to be on the same Halo 3 Engine. It may be a totally different type of game, but I can't see them bulding this from scratch in that time-frame.

We don't know how long they have been working on it though. The ODST dev team was seperate from everything else at Bungie, so all the other employees had to have been doing something.
twitter: @bradenbullen

#13 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

We don't know how long they have been working on it though. The ODST dev team was seperate from everything else at Bungie, so all the other employees had to have been doing something.

And it ships fall 2010. Over a year from now, and three years from when Halo 3 shipped. ODST used the Halo 3 engine because 1) it's an expansion and 2) because of the really compressed development cycle (mentioned in the latest podcast).

I'd be shocked if Bungie did not use a new engine for the new game.

#14 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Is it actually a Fall 2010 release date because I first thought it said that but on the Reach banners underneath it just says 'Falls 2010' aka anytime during next year.

#15 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

Is it actually a Fall 2010 release date because I first thought it said that but on the Reach banners underneath it just says 'Falls 2010' aka anytime during next year.

I assume it's just a pun.

#16 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

Aye, it's a pun. "Reach Falls" "Fall 2010" Can't find it right now, but I've seen two interviews where Bungie guys have said "fall 2010" for the timeline. Which makes sense, given the Beta in spring.

#17 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

Considering how close Spring 2010 is in a development cycle (especially if the beta is anything like the H3 beta, which was so polished, it looked almost like the final version), I wonder when they will actually show Reach. Anybody know when the next big convention is? I can't remember if they're doing another Leipzig this year... I don't see them showing it off for the first time at TGS...

#18 Ragdoll

Ragdoll
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

If the game is anywhere near as good as the book, it should be nothing short of amazing.

Edited by Ragdoll, 05 June 2009 - 11:06 AM.

#19 Nuvalari

Nuvalari
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Q. My cousin told me that Halo: Reach is a squad-based tactical MMO featuring all kinds of ridiculous stuff that I shouldn't believe. Is he a liar?

A. Halo: Reach will be a First Person Shooter. You will shoot stuff from a first person perspective. It will be awesome.

Just a nugget I thought was interesting

#20 KrAzY WiSh

KrAzY WiSh
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

Just a nugget I thought was interesting

Sorry if I`m being stupid mate, but where did you dig up that nugget?
GT: KrAzY WiSh

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq