43 replies to this topic

#1 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

Halo: The Cole Protocol novel announced:

http://www.bungie.ne...y...s&cid=14284

Halo: The Cole Protocol will be the sixth novel set in the Halo Universe. Tobias S. Buckell, author of Crystal Rain and Ragamuffin will pen the novel, which reveals the location of the Spartan Gray Team and "takes readers into an unexplored conflict of the Human-Covenant War where unlikely alliances are formed and shattered..."

Bungie expatriate and Microsoft's Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor had this to say on the upcoming book, which is slated for a Fall 2008 release, " Buckell continues an excellent tradition that’s now a solid aspect of the Halo novels, bringing a fresh new perspective to a limitless universe and bringing his prodigious writing talents to bear in ways that will surprise and engage fans of the series and newcomers alike."

The Spartan Gray Team has been mentioned twice in the novels. First, in the Fall of Reach in a single line:

"Assembled here tonight," she said, "are all surviving Spartans save three, who are otherwise engaged on fields of combat too distant to be easily recalled."

And another line in Ghosts of Onyx:

And what had ever happened to Gray Team on a mission far outside the confines of UNSC space, now missing for over a year?

Not a lot of info out about the book right now, but if it's coming out in five or six months then we're likely to be hearing more about it relatively soon.

#2 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Well if "Gray Team" has been MIA for about a year, we better get some Bear Grylls style Spartan-Space-Survival stories.

Posted Image

#3 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

I wish Eric Nylund the Awesome or Joseph Staten the Sly were writing this. The current author has very little experience and may ruin the books. I sure hope not though, I loved Nylund's action sequences and Staten's backstory, so I wonder how Tobias will be.

#4 Saevio

Saevio

Check out my gunz

• 124 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

Oh boy, oh boy. Last book I read was Harvest.

#5 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:08 AM

The last book I read was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Phillip K. Dick. I hope it's as good as that one was.

#6 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

I know nothing about the author so I'll reserve my judgement for now. But i'm very excited for another book.

#7 Hopdaddy

Hopdaddy
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

Last book I read was The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil. But on topic, I don't have a very good feeling about this. At the very least, Bungie should stick with one author. I mean, most people loved Eric, right? So why not another? pout.gif

#8 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:20 AM

yeah, Nylund was good but Stanten reallllyyy did a great job, I hope both of them are still working on their own Halo projects

#9 CABOOSEP3NGE

CABOOSEP3NGE
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

i dont understand why the books have to be written by different authors, only one or two for all of them would have been great because i loved Nylund and Staten's style of writing and the story they made and i'd appreciate a book from an author I have read and know is good

#10 halosavior

halosavior
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:23 AM

i dont understand why the books have to be written by different authors, only one or two for all of them would have been great because i loved Nylund and Staten's style of writing and the story they made and i'd appreciate a book from an author I have read and know is good

Perhaps each of the authors are busy. We know that Nylund is working on his other books and that Staten is probably writing for the next Bungie game. Why not take the next available halo fanatic author? I'm sure this guy knows the standards he has to live up to at this point. If hasn't a clue he better watch out.

#11 Khyberius

Khyberius

The Pretty Prince of Parties

• 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

I agree that it's annoying that Bungie cant stick with Nylund or Staten for this next book, But i trust in Bungie that this new Author will do fine, and we could very likely be surprised at how well he does. What worries me much more is that there wont be enough about Sangheili in this book. I am DYING to learn more about them and their home planet, Sangheilios. Elites are probably one of my favorite aspects of the Halo Universe, and I cringe at the thought that they wont be featured prominently enough in this Halo book. Whatever though, any Halo book is welcomed by me, as long as this Author doesn't butcher it.

#12 Offensive_Bias

Offensive_Bias
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

I really look forward to this, even though Nylund isn't the author. I didn't like the style of Staten, but it will be exciting to see whether or not the new author can live up to Nylund. They can basically do whatever they want with Grey Team's Storyarch because we know absolutely nothing about them. I'm hoping Bungie is kind enough to leave a few spoilers in the next months to the release of the book. First post :biggrin:

#13 Stormtrooper30

Stormtrooper30

Keep on your toes or you might lose 'em.

• 461 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

I enjoy reading Nylund's books much more than the other two. I love Joseph Staten's writing style, but there isn't enough action for me. The Covenant storylines were a nice change of pace and made the book stand out from Nylund's. Personally, I think that Nylund is the best Sci-Fi action writer. I love his fight sequences. Joseph's book is really good too, but there wasn't enough action in it for me. Contact Harvest was never boring though, so both writers are uniquely awesome. I sont like the idea of throwing a new guy into the picture, though. Buckell is a new writer and he doesn't seem like he knows enough about Halo to write an accurate novel. I'm sure that the book will kick-ass, but what I'm not sure of is whether or not this guy has what it takes to satisfy the hardcore Halo fan. Hopefully Bungie will release the prologue like they did with Contact Harvest.

Edited by Stormtrooper30, 20 June 2008 - 05:58 PM.

#14 Rtas 'Vadum

Rtas 'Vadum

Shadow of Intent

• 51 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

I agree that it's annoying that Bungie cant stick with Nylund or Staten for this next book, But i trust in Bungie that this new Author will do fine, and we could very likely be surprised at how well he does. What worries me much more is that there wont be enough about Sangheili in this book. I am DYING to learn more about them and their home planet, Sangheilios. Elites are probably one of my favorite aspects of the Halo Universe, and I cringe at the thought that they wont be featured prominently enough in this Halo book. Whatever though, any Halo book is welcomed by me, as long as this Author doesn't butcher it.

Who is to say that it won't? All we know right now is that it has something to do with the Cole Protocol and Grey Team. It is very unlikely that the Covenant won't be involved, since they are one of the core elements of the Halo universe, and along with that we may get a ton of action with them. Or hardly any, we can't assume anything for now.

Anyways I loved Nylunds books but I think GoO suffered from trying to support too many charachters within not enough pages. Fall of Reach is still the best of them. And I agree that he knows how to write a good action scene. Contact Harvest was an awesome book. The more I read it the more I love its in depth detail of Human and Covenant society alike. Staten gave us so much story in one book that it answered more questions then all three games combined... Well, minus Halo 3's terminals, lol. And Dietz wasn't that bad of a writer either. Not everyone likes him but his book is growing on me. That isn't to say I would ever want him to write another Halo book though. EVER.

Here's to hoping this new guy can live up to the fandom's high expectations and can survive the hail of inevitable mixed feelings about it when it does come out.

#15 Khyberius

Khyberius

• 52 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

Who is to say that it won't? All we know right now is that it has something to do with the Cole Protocol and Grey Team. It is very unlikely that the Covenant won't be involved, since they are one of the core elements of the Halo universe, and along with that we may get a ton of action with them. Or hardly any, we can't assume anything for now.

Anyways I loved Nylunds books but I think GoO suffered from trying to support too many charachters within not enough pages. Fall of Reach is still the best of them. And I agree that he knows how to write a good action scene. Contact Harvest was an awesome book. The more I read it the more I love its in depth detail of Human and Covenant society alike. Staten gave us so much story in one book that it answered more questions then all three games combined... Well, minus Halo 3's terminals, lol. And Dietz wasn't that bad of a writer either. Not everyone likes him but his book is growing on me. That isn't to say I would ever want him to write another Halo book though. EVER.

Here's to hoping this new guy can live up to the fandom's high expectations and can survive the hail of inevitable mixed feelings about it when it does come out.

Very True. I have no evidence whatsoever this novel wont include plenty of Sangheili information. I just hope they will feature a bigger part than they did in Contact Harvest, because while CH did feature plenty of information on Covenant life, there wasn't very much Sangheili specific information. Really though, I know I'm going to love this novel no matter what. I really like how open this novel is. They could really use the gray team to introduce anything. I was thinking a book about the return to Sangheilios could be promising, but that could even be included in this one, who knows. If not in this book, i'm sure that Bungie/Microsoft wont miss that opportunity to make a good story. Something similar to Homer's odyssey could be told.

#16 Arachnidus

Arachnidus
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

Seeing as they mention an alliance, I'm willing to bet Grey Squad and the Elites make an alliance which might wind up helping out with relations in Halo 2/3 between mankind and the elites.

#17 Khyberius

Khyberius

• 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

When is this book taking place in the halo timeline?

#18 Arachnidus

Arachnidus
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

When is this book taking place in the halo timeline?

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure Grey Team was deployed shortly before the events of Halo 1.

#19 Spartan-039

Spartan-039

"The Marksman"

• Banned
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:20 AM

Grey team was deployed before the Fall of Reach. So they may not even know what happened to Reach, but only time will tell I guess. Speaking of the Fall of Reach, is it possible for other Spartans to have survived without being mentioned in the books Fall of Reach and First Strike. They had quite a few Banshees at the reactor complex, so it was possible for them to have made an escape to the unglassed area of Reach. Of course, I've got no evidence to back it up so I guess all the other Spartans are KIA until proven otherwise.

#20 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

Of course, I've got no evidence to back it up so I guess all the other Spartans are KIA until proven otherwise.

Your guess is wrong
Spoiler
. How many Spartans have been listed as KIA in the history of the program? None.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq