62 replies to this topic

#1 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

http://blog.wired.co..._in_halo_3.html

I'm in Halo 3!

Sometimes GeekDad projects are things to do with the kids, and sometimes they're simply to impress the heck out of them. This is the latter.

Today I spent the day in Seattle at the headquarters of Bungie Studios, makers of the Halo videogame series. A couple years ago I'd had dinner with Marty O'Donnell, Bungie's audio director (and composer of the legendary Halo theme music), and after a lot of wine had got him to half-jokingly promise me a voice-acting cameo in Halo 3. Earlier this year I slightly exaggerated the absoluteness of his commitment and reminded him of that. To my delight he agreed to have me come up and record a few lines. Today was the day. It was awesome.

To answer the obvious questions, yes, I've seen a lot of the game. Yes, it's amazing. No, I can't talk about most of it (I'm NDA'd). But I can say (because this feature has been discussed) that the one thing that completely blew me away (aside from the graphics, animation, level design and new vehicles and weapons) was the ability to record a game and play it back on Xbox Live, freezing the action at any point and flying around the scene, Matrix style. It may sound just like a standard replay function, but take my word for it, it's not. I think it's revolutionary, and I predict that Halo 3 will take machinima to a whole new level.

Marty had me record about 30 lines, mostly playing a marine (that's me in the recording studio, above). I got to utter timeless phrases such as "Brutes can't smell through rock, can they?" and "Wonder if anyone knows we're down here..." They said I warmed up nicely, but I think they were just being polite. They were trying hard not to crack up as I screamed like a girl when I was being "possessed by the Flood". My entire script is scanned here, with a few bits redacted. Click on the images for the full-sized readable versions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When the game is released this fall, I'll find out which of my lines made it into the final version. Then I will have awesome bragging rights: "You know that marine on level X, near the beginning, sort of off to one corner by himself? No? Well, anyway, if you do find him and you melee him, that's my scream!

(A GeekDad aside: I'd wanted to bring up one of my kids to record the voice of a grunt, but Bungie rightly noted that the game is rated M and this could be seen as an inappropriate setting for kids. Fair enough. But just imagine the cred the kid would have had on the playground if Bungie had gone for it. They could have told their friends that they're IN Halo 3! That would have won me GeekDad of the Year, hands down.)

Finally, here's a video of Marty talking about the thinking behind the fanfare that opens the Halo 3 E3 trailer. And then he plays it, live:

#2 Blamo

Blamo

XBL: BLAMO52 Service Tag: B52

• Banned
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

Damn it, Flood are in Halo 3.

#3 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:07 AM

I think if the Flood get some rampant cortana infused into them, a badass enemy could (finally) be the result...

#4 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

http://carnage.bungi....pl?read=795557

Someone thought it would be a good idea to post his combat dialogue (he's a marine) from Halo 3. Story elements from campaign are in there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some analysis at the link. He tries to redact a few descriptors, but doesn't do it dark enough. The "100_arbiter" is interesting, as is the reference to Sereph fighters coming in, and something "too big for a Banshee, too low for a Phantom!"

Not a good couple of days for Halo 3 leaks.

Edited by GhaleonEB, 24 April 2007 - 06:55 AM.

#5 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

that's not a leak,

http://forums.ascend...p...ic=1280&hl=

It's taken from a WIRED magazine blog entry.

Edited by Cerious, 24 April 2007 - 07:03 AM.

#6 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

that's not a leak,

http://forums.ascend...p...ic=1280&hl=

It's taken from a WIRED magazine blog entry.

I realize that, but do you really think Bungie wanted him to post it? There's some story-specific dialogue in there (Keyes, the Flood). Or for the redacted portions to still be visible?

#7 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

I think what Ghaleon is saying is that this WIRED guy unintentionally leaked some data for the Halo hounds to devour. Edit: Any mod is welcome to delete the thread I started about the WIRED story and the conversation can continue here. Either way, I don't care.

Edited by Va1or, 24 April 2007 - 07:08 AM.

#8 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

I realize that, but do you really think Bungie wanted him to post it? There's some story-specific dialogue in there (Keyes, the Flood). Or for the redacted portions to still be visible?

Well he mentions that he's "NDA'ed" so my guess is that Bungie gave him the okay to post the article on the WIRED blog. Maybe he screwed up on the redacted portions, maybe he didn't. I think it was a minimal attempt at redacting certain parts to allow for a 'leak'. I mean, it's a small portion of dialouge, that only hints at certin things with the scope of the storyline.

#9 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

What's funny is he talks about not violating his NDA then proceeds to reveal Campaign dialogue about the flood, Keyes, Seraphs, etc. I wonder if he'll get invited back.
Spoiler

Edit:

Unless, maybe Bungie said he could scan his script. Which would surprise me.

Edited by Va1or, 24 April 2007 - 07:12 AM.

#10 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

What's funny is he talks about not violating his NDA then proceeds to reveal Campaign dialogue about the flood, Keyes, Seraphs, etc. I wonder if he'll get invited back.

Spoiler

Edit:

Unless, maybe Bungie said he could scan his script. Which would surprise me.

That was kinda my point. I don't think he violated anything, I think Bungie allowed him to disclose this information. Again, given their track record, we know they like release little bits of info to keep the frenzy at a fever pitch. What was disclosed in these script scans wasn't anything really shocking, only hints of things, "too big for a Banshee, too low for a Phantom!" for example.

#11 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

That was kinda my point. I don't think he violated anything, I think Bungie allowed him to disclose this information. Again, given their track record, we know they like release little bits of info to keep the frenzy at a fever pitch. What was disclosed in these script scans wasn't anything really shocking, only hints of things, "too big for a Banshee, too low for a Phantom!" for example.

First, sorry for not spotting the other thread about this.

There are some potential story spoilers in there. I'm pretty sure Bungie didn't want the Flood discussed before the game shipped, despite the likelyhood that they'll be in the game.

The Flood are mentioned while a Marine is heading towards a "warehouse". Unlikely that's on a ship. Certainly possible that it's on earth - which is a major plot development. As was pointed out in the HBO thread, the the "FloodVoi" descriptor could be referring to an encounter with the Flood in Voi, Kenya. That fits with the African setting we know to be a major story location. A Flood outbreak on Earth is huge.

Edited by GhaleonEB, 24 April 2007 - 07:29 AM.

#12 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

I too wonder if Bungie wanted him to post all of that? They're hinting at a new vehicle and some interesting predicaments. Good find to Valor and Ghaleon. It's news to me. Edit: You're absolutely correct Ghaleon, I posted mine just after your response. The Flood, the new vehicle, and possible inference of Flood being on Earth seem a little too sensitive of information for it to be offered by Bungie.

#13 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

First, sorry for not spotting the other thread about this.

There are some potential story spoilers in there. I'm pretty sure Bungie didn't want the Flood discussed before the game shipped, despite the likelyhood that they'll be in the game.

The Flood are mentioned while a Marine is heading towards a "warehouse". Unlikely that's on a ship. Certainly possible that it's on earth - which is a major plot development. As was pointed out in the HBO thread, the the "FloodVoi" descriptor could be referring to an encounter with the Flood in Voi, Kenya. That fits with the African setting we know to be a major story location. A Flood outbreak on Earth is huge.

All good points. But was there any doubt that the flood would be on Earth? I wouldn't call that reveal huge as much as I'd call it untimely. We've seen a still of the warehouse or indoor environment with the Master Chief holding an AR months ago. Alos the 1st ViDoc showed warehouse like environments. I agree that we didn't know exactly when the Flood would be introduced in to the storyline, this 'leak' does narrow it down, but it doesn't play spoiler IMO.

#14 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

Well, it should be said that the warehouse environment and pretty much everything we've seen so far happens in the first 1/3 of the game, in other words only about 4-5 levels into the campaign max. I don't think there has been any suggestion that the Flood would be on Earth, apart from rampant speculation. Now that speculation has pretty much turned into fact.

#15 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

I see your point. I my mind, I guess, the Flood on Earth was a given. How they get there and what happens thereafter are bigger plot twists IMO.

#16 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

If this new data does reveal that Flood are on Earth, this is huge. I never knew this would happen. A flood infestation on Earth would be apocalyptic. Just think of how quickly they spread through advance military forces (both human and Covenant) on the Halos. Imagine the havok they could wreak on a civilian population of billions. Think 28 Days Later except the zombies can operate weapons and vehicles and know how to fight and survive.

"This is the way the world ends"

Edited by Va1or, 24 April 2007 - 07:51 AM.

#17 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

I'm working on recovering the inked-out level names. That might help us a little.

#18 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

Somebody started doing that here: http://carnage.bungi....pl?read=795561

And Drew, just so you know, a lot of discussion about this topic ended up in the Halo 3 leaks thread.

Edited by Va1or, 24 April 2007 - 02:33 PM.

#19 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

Just read the HBO thread. They've got me beat. Yeah, I went and read through it. It's obvious that the Flood are on Earth, and the humans are more likely than not pushed back to their final stronghold (somewhere underground, perhaps ONI HQ?). Very interesting stuff.

Edited by Drew, 24 April 2007 - 02:41 PM.

#20 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

I really really really hope there is litte/to no Flood fighting. I hate the Flood so much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq