Halo 3 TV Commercials

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 Plankton

Plankton
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

Making the model move rather than cutting to something else (CG/gameplay/Live action/whatever), or just not having movement at all (and giving a better, longer shot of the Chief) would have been better. As it is, it undermines the whole thing as it's like 'BELIEVE, Toy Story is real, with bad ass toys'

#42 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

So I saw both commercials and I was really impressed by them. I don't want live gameplay. I've already seen plenty of it and hell, I played it six months ago and if they show me anymore live gameplay before the game ships I'm liable to cut someone.

For me, these pieces are perfect.

The veteran recounting his experience of the Chief is extremely weighty and a punch to the gut for Halo fans. It really brings the fiction of series alive and let's us breath it in. I strongly support stuff like this and anything that takes the fiction out of its comfortable, HUD-filled and polygon-encased vision and into the real world, where you and I and all of the other Halo fans (hopefully) exist.

As for the second commercial, I thought it was incredible on many levels and for me, the amazement of it isn't even realized until the head moves. I think a lot of people are getting hung up on action figures, dolls, clay figures or whatever. That's not what's happening here. This diorama is incredibly symbolic.

Everything is still and dead in those shots. Nothing's moving, it's like everything is stuck in this perpetual turmoil and its forever enshrined that way in the annals of history. All of these Marines are dying or dead, there's no hope in those shots. There's only fear and death and everything is completely still.

Then there's the sacrifice, humanity's savior, atop a hill (heard that before right?). When you first see him you're certain he's dead. There's no way he's still alive, surrounded by the hordes of Covenant and hanging by the end of a Chieftain's grasp. He's the only one we want to be alive in the shot, the only one that matters - yet there he hangs, lifeless.

Then you see him holding onto the grenade mentioned in the previous trailer and the final shot, his face turning up to meet yours. Brilliant. Not only is he alive, but he's ready to fight for you. It's not an impersonal, 'I'm trying to stay alive," bit, it's a 'I'm not going to let them kill you, even if I have to die trying.'

Completely bad ass and I couldn't be happier. It speaks to that same vibe of gratitude that the old veteran has when he wipes his eyes. That gratitude takes what would normally be a fist full of cost-efficient recounts and makes them take on life and meaning.

I especially like the parallel of Golgotha and that Brute-invested hill. Perfectly executed.

The one thing I don't like is their use of a plasma grenade as the lynch-pin for the Chief's sacrifice during these commercials. There's a personal reason I don't like that they were used...you guys'll probably find out this weekend or something. Maybe.

#43 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

I'll just say that seldom have I disliked an ad more, for anything, and leave it at that.

#44 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

After watching it again I see way more emotion. The action figures and MC moving his head are kind of cheesy, but at the same time it works and does it's job. It makes you want to know more if your not a Halo fan. If you are a Halo fan, It makes you want to play the game even more. I would love to see in game footage or something like that, But somehow this works. It's one of my favorite ads I've seen in a long time and personally I liked it way more than the Halo 2 ads.

Anyways they pulled my youtube link. Heres another. link

#45 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

I'll just say that seldom have I disliked an ad more, for anything, and leave it at that.

It's funny that you say this since that's exactly how I felt about the E3 2007 Trailer. This Ad is one of my favorite Halo videos minus the creepy doll head-turning.

#46 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

Would have been better if the tagline at the finish was "Rape Time."

#47 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

Ugh, get to a Spectre as soon as possible and boost your ass outta there. Lots of ghosting on the 360 version there.

I think I must have buried the Tartaurus fight deep down in my subconscious. Ugh. I honesty thought the dude lived. Double Ugh.

Noted.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Perhaps a few shots of tequila or something will make it seem like The Library. With a giant boss.

Voc, you summed up my thoughts exactly (minus the plasma 'nade thing
Spoiler
) on the commercial.

I think its a breath of fresh air for video games to be taking such a boundary breaking tack to advertising. Nit picks aside, you have to at least give them credit for taking the hugely important Halo franchise and going in such a 'risky' (read: original) direction with it. Its got people talking and thinking about it, weather positively or negatively, its a success if it makes you think of the product.

I Believe.

#48 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

symbolic analysis

I appreciate exactly what you're saying, though I still feel that the plasma grenade extreme close-up accomplished the 'hope' aspect you're attributing to the movement shot. His gaze may make it more meaningful on a personal level, though; I hadn't really picked up on that (very astutely analyzed) aspect.

The Golgotha symbolism was not lost on me - I absolutely love the lighting in the hill shot. Christ figure is just written all over that commercial. Before anyone jumps to conclusions about "Master Chief dies to save humanity confirmed," keep in mind that, in literature, Christ figures are used most often not as simple analogies (i.e. Jesus died and so did this guy), but as symbols of suffering, sacrifice, and redemption. Our boy here has sacrificed so much already - taken from his home at six; robbed of his childhood; pumped full of chemicals; shot, burned, beaten, and broken for humanity - that you'd be crazy not to call him a Christ figure, no matter what direction Halo 3's narrative takes.

In addition, the visual metaphors for Golgotha seem to be convincing a lot of people (notably, the site that quickshade just linked) that this may well be the site of Master Chief's death. I assure you it's not - the visual tradition of Golgotha throughout art history (Google 'Christ on the cross' or 'crucifixion' if you're skeptical) holds a very consistent pose for Christ, with a downward, beaten gaze, not unlike the one we see in the diorama before Chief's head moves. In the paintings, Christ is dead, broken, no longer a part of this world. In this commercial, Chief's head moves and his gaze fixes directly on the camera. He's not done fighting. Not by a long shot.

Upon another, closer analysis, I'd have to say you may be right: maybe it wouldn't be nearly as powerful without the head movement, though we differ on our reasoning behind its necessity. Either way, the provocative subject material and the depth of the visual presentation make this (the two in combination - the museum lead-in does so much for this second one) easily my favorite Halo-related teaser trailer ever.

Edited by Syracuse022, 13 September 2007 - 11:54 AM.

#49 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Have you guys seen the other diorama pictures yet? If not, you might want to click this.

#50 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

Splorge.

#51 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

Splorge.

Quantum Field Theory

#52 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

Have you guys seen the other diorama pictures yet? If not, you might want to click this.

Keyboard r00ned.

I would pay to have been able to work on that set. Oh Em Gee

#53 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:08 PM

Is it just me or are we missing a big chunk of the ad. it seems like we saw roughly 1/4 of that thing in the ad and why would they build it that big if it wasn't needed. Maybe it's going to be shown off or something??

#54 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

Is it just me or are we missing a big chunk of the ad. it seems like we saw roughly 1/4 of that thing in the ad and why would they build it that big if it wasn't needed. Maybe it's going to be shown off or something??

Is it confirmed that the ad only has two parts? Maybe there's more to the ad that will showcase more of the diorama.

#55 h00ters11

h00ters11

balls outrageous

• 590 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

The link wasn't working for me, does anyone have another one to the second commercial?
don't tread on me

#56 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

The link wasn't working for me, does anyone have another one to the second commercial?

My link up above still works. Here it is: link

#57 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

Anyone seen this yet?

David Jaffe's opinion of the Halo Ad. Jealous much?

Edit: I wish they had some of those diorama pictures in wallpaper sizes. The ones with explosions look awesome.

Edited by UHYVE, 13 September 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#58 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

When you work on a title that was once AAA but killed off for some reason (EA or the developers just started milking it) I guess you get mad. On the other hand he could just be mad that he didn't have that idea. :thumbsup:

#59 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

Anyone seen this yet?

David Jaffe's opinion of the Halo Ad. Jealous much?

Edit: I wish they had some of those diorama pictures in wallpaper sizes. The ones with explosions look awesome.

DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!

Also:

Posted Image

The diorama seems to take place somewhere on or around Tsavo Highway. Cool. =)

#60 quickshade

quickshade
  • Banned
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq