• 3,171 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

#2 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:16 AM

The next big gimmick. This is like Kinect all over again except that Sony is also falling for it.

#3 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,989 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

The next big gimmick. This is like Kinect all over again except that Sony is also falling for it.

No, it's bigger than that.  You didn't have literally everyone and their brother chasing that gimmick.  You didn't have both Sony and Microsoft releasing an entirely "new" version of their console to cater to it.  You didn't see card manufacturers literally creating cards just to handle it.  I got into an argument on Kotaku where I basically proclaimed this the harbinger of the next big crash of video games.  Everyone who wants VR, has VR.  Those that don't have it fall into one of two categories:

1 - They want it, but don't have either the space (as this video demonstrated) or the funds (which this video also demonstrates, with how the prices are for what is, basically, a series of glorified tech demos).

2 - They have no interest in it.

In Chicago in January, a guy had his Samsung headset, and everyone was oohing and aaahing over it.  I asked the guy how old he was.  25.  I asked him if he lived with anyone.  No, he didn't.  I then pointed out that there's zero way that I can say "Honey, I'm getting this thing that straps to my head and will completely drown out you and the kids, and I'm going to pay $600 just for the headpiece."

#4 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

Just like how 3D televisions took off and had loads of content for it, right?

Right, guys?

#5 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:48 AM

Just like how 3D televisions took off and had loads of content for it, right?

Right, guys?

Great example, 3D for home use is practically dead. The new 4K Ultra HD Premium spec doesn't support it, and the new Ultra HD blu-ray players don't support 3D either. Current blu-ray releases for 3D content have grinded to a total halt. 3D is now just something that exists in movie theatres so they can charge more.

#6 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,931 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

I got my backer Rift and the wife uses it more than me...

Granted we don't (and won't ever) have kids, but don't knock it before you try it.

Really cool, to be honest. Hawken in it is super neat, and it's butter smooth on a 980Ti. Haven't tried too much outside of Hawken and the packed in games (and some tech demos), but I've had nothing but great experiences so far.

Initially it made me a little ill after about half an hour of uninterrupted use, but now I can go for hours with no problems.

Great piece of kit.

#7 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

Not worth $800 for something that's "neat."

#8 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,989 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

I got my backer Rift and the wife uses it more than me...

Granted we don't (and won't ever) have kids, but don't knock it before you try it.

Really cool, to be honest. Hawken in it is super neat, and it's butter smooth on a 980Ti. Haven't tried too much outside of Hawken and the packed in games (and some tech demos), but I've had nothing but great experiences so far.

Initially it made me a little ill after about half an hour of uninterrupted use, but now I can go for hours with no problems.

Great piece of kit.

Prolly because of all your free handjobs

#9 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,931 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:25 AM

Not worth $800 for something that's "neat."

Well, that's fair enough. I really only spent $300 on mine, as it was a bonus for backing the original. Too bad I don't get any stock options...

#10 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

My complaint with VR is that they are just pushing this just to have something new, but without having any really inspired games for it. Plus, like you said, when I had a chance to try a devkit, it made me feel nauseous. I think I may just end up waiting for a generation 2 when all of the kinks are fixed and better games are realized.

#11 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

My complaint with VR is that they are just pushing this just to have something new, but without having any really inspired games for it. Plus, like you said, when I had a chance to try a devkit, it made me feel nauseous. I think I may just end up waiting for a generation 2 when all of the kinks are fixed and better games are realized.

While I wont defend the lack of games, I don't agree that VR is being pushed simply as just "something new". VR is in many respects a natural progression of the medium, both that of video games and digital visual content as a whole. And while I don't think that the headsets right now are outrageously good must-have products, especially at their price point, not to mention the fact I think you're smart to wait for some of the kinks to be ironed out. I do think there's a lot more to these platforms than just brief gimmicks. 

#12 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

I definitely see as a progression of sorts, but like I said there really isn't anything for it and because of that and the price range I hope it doesn't fall on it's face like the Kinect. Probably the most interesting games I've seen for VR so far are from the little demo they had awhile back.

Alone

And this one.

The Climb

Everything else is already attached to something that can be played regularly without the device.

Edited by DualX, 10 July 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#13 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

Elite was super cool when I tried it on the DK1, even if most of the text was almost completely illegible to the ridiculously low resolution screen.

I'll probably get one once there are more games, maybe even wait till the second gen of VR devices. I really just need one that is actually comfy to wear for an hour.

#14 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,931 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

Prolly because of all your free handjobs

I am certainly not complaining...

The roomscale stuff will not work until there are wireless headsets, IMO. The cable is just too much of an issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq