44 replies to this topic

#1 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

Deliver Hope

Looks better than anything Blomkamp ever did.

#2 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

Visually, I agree. But it seems to be missing something with the audio.

There's much less "impact," if you will, than with the Blomkamp trailers. The music is a nice touch, I guess, but it all seems very disjointed.

Muted, however, it's fantastic!

#3 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

Looks good.

#4 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:15 AM

Deliver Hope

Are you crazy? How are you going to compare the visuals of a commercial to the visuals of a director with a movie like District 9. The short is great, but it doesn't have the style Blomkamp's short had. You also have to remember Blomkamp wasn't working with the budget of something like this.

#5 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

Are you crazy? How are you going to compare the visuals of a commercial to the visuals of a director with a movie like District 9. The short is great, but it doesn't have the style Blomkamp's short had. You also have to remember Blomkamp wasn't working with the budget of something like this.

Yeah, part of that "impact". Very gritty and realistic. Everything had more weight. This looks awesome, visually, but it's missing the oomph of the Blomkamp stuff.

#6 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

I should clarify, it looks better than anything Blomkamp did for Halo.

I'm comparing a short that has action made by Blomkamp to a short that has action made by these people. Budget aside, this one looks better. Neil's stuff looked cheesey. His stupid battle talk and conversations between soldiers was utterly terrible.

#7 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

I should clarify, it looks better than anything Blomkamp did for Halo.

I'm comparing a short that has action made by Blomkamp to a short that has action made by these people. Budget aside, this one looks better. Neil's stuff looked cheesey. His stupid battle talk and conversations between soldiers was utterly terrible.

Can you remind me where this battle talk was because I don't remember it? You're talking about Halo Landfall right? What part?

Even putting the budget aside, which you can clearly see the difference in vfx, I think the Blomkamp short had great style to it and a really genuine feel. This short while it's great is clearly a video game commercial, and they made it look like Halo which is cool and all but doesn't give it that extra punch. Sometimes when you were looking at Blomkamp stuff, it felt like you were watching Black Hawk Down or something where you feel the despair and live it through the eyes of the soldier. I remember the shot where you're seeing the passenger in the Warthog from first-person in Halo Landfall, it has a chaotic feel to it.

#8 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

My opinion: Visuals looked great. The budget they had in this one vs Landfall was apparent. However, something about it came across as a bit too corny to me. And I think honestly it comes down to one single detail, and that's the way the Spartans move in their armor. Jorge looked good, but he wasn't moving and was completely digital. The other Spartans, the ones that are actually actors in suits, their armor seems to move around their bodies too much when they move, as if it isn't fitting them well, and is instead just loosely hanging on their form. Which isn't the feel you want to get out of Mjolnir armor. It should feel rock solid. They do in the games always, but of course this is easier to pull off. I just think something should have been done differently about that. The shot where Kat was jumping and the shot where Thom threw the bomb are the two best (worst?) examples of this. It looked like... I don't know, like PowerRangers or something. They just applied some really good editing afterwards to make it look better, but the horrible movement is still there. It basically looks like they're uncomfortable in their suits, when that shouldn't be the case. Other than that, everything else was amazing. The visuals were great, the colors were great, the movement of all the CG characters were great. There was lots of detail. The visual of the cruiser getting torn to pieces from within its own energy shield were great, something right out of the books. Looking forward to the director's cut. Can't wait to see more stuff done like this, although with a little more attention to the 'feel' of it, other than just the look of it.

Edited by Postmortem, 26 August 2010 - 08:25 AM.

GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#9 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

My opinion: Visuals looked great. The budget they had in this one vs Landfall was apparent. However, something about it came across as a bit too corny to me. And I think honestly it comes down to one single detail, and that's the way the Spartans move in their armor. Jorge looked good, but he wasn't moving and was completely digital. The other Spartans, the ones that are actually actors in suits, their armor seems to move around their bodies too much when they move, as if it isn't fitting them well, and is instead just loosely hanging on their form. Which isn't the feel you want to get out of Mjolnir armor. It should feel rock solid. They do in the games always, but of course this is easier to pull off. I just think something should have been done differently about that. The shot where Kat was jumping and the shot where Thom threw the bomb are the two best (worst?) examples of this. It looked like... I don't know, like PowerRangers or something. They just applied some really good editing afterwards to make it look better, but the horrible movement is still there. It basically looks like they're uncomfortable in their suits, when that shouldn't be the case.

Other than that, everything else was amazing. The visuals were great, the colors were great, the movement of all the CG characters were great. There was lots of detail. The visual of the cruiser getting torn to pieces from within its own energy shield were great, something right out of the books. Looking forward to the director's cut.

Can't wait to see more stuff done like this, although with a little more attention to the 'feel' of it, other than just the look of it.

Having the armor look/feel natural is something that live action shorts cannot capture. I agree with you 100%. Kat should have been blazing across the earth like a cheetah. But instead she looks like a little kid in football pads.

A time when I truly got chills is from the Starry Night superbowl ad. When the bubble shield expires Master Chief takes off like a bat out of hell. THAT is how spartans should move. And why I'm not a fan of live action Halo stuff.

But again, this ad was great and outside of movement/armor everything was very well done.

Ivan, I dont have the clips in front of me. But I remember plenty of stupid comments/banter during the fighting scenes that just killed it for me. I agree Neil's stuff was more moody and realistic but I'm not a fan of that for Halo. I want CGI. A lot of it. All of it. JamesCameronGet.

#10 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

A time when I truly got chills is from the Starry Night superbowl ad. When the bubble shield expires Master Chief takes off like a bat out of hell. THAT is how spartans should move.

I agree with that completely, and ditto about the chills. It's why I love watching that trailer. Honestly, why do the Spartans for live action need to be actors in suits? Just make them CG like Chief was there, and like Jorge was in this one. It completes that whole inhuman/superhuman look that the books describe perfectly, and yeah, you can pull off the movements so much better. Use actors in suits for non-action close ups, and for shots where they have their face showing. It would be pretty simple.

Ivan, I dont have the clips in front of me. But I remember plenty of stupid comments/banter during the fighting scenes that just killed it for me. I agree Neil's stuff was more moody and realistic but I'm not a fan of that for Halo. I want CGI. A lot of it. All of it. JamesCameronGet.

The only line I didn't like from Landfall was "Target acquired". Other than that, it's still my favorite. And unfortunately Cameron already explored the Halo military style in Avatar. I don't think he's going to return to it (except for the sequel to Avatar, god help us. :P)

#11 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I thought the trailer was pretty good. Nice story prequel for the fans really. And that shot of the Covenant forces inside the cruiser is fantastic.

#12 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

I thought the trailer was pretty good. Nice story prequel for the fans really. And that shot of the Covenant forces inside the cruiser is fantastic.

Agreed. I need a downloadable version in HD (one that actually works on my Mac) so I can freeze frame it there and look at all the units. Lots of Grunts, a few Elites, and I think I may have seen an Engineer hovering above one of the Phantoms, although it may have been another Grunt. If there were any not-so-obvious details in the trailer, it would have been in that shot.

#13 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Other than that, everything else was amazing. The visuals were great, the colors were great, the movement of all the CG characters were great. There was lots of detail. The visual of the cruiser getting torn to pieces from within its own energy shield were great, something right out of the books. Looking forward to the director's cut.

This.

A time when I truly got chills is from the Starry Night superbowl ad. When the bubble shield expires Master Chief takes off like a bat out of hell. THAT is how spartans should move. And why I'm not a fan of live action Halo stuff.

Also this.

And I agree - Blomkamp's shorts were always missing something. Dude was chilling at a 7 or 8 when a Halo action sequence should crank it up to 11. This feels, to me, like a step in the right direction for Halo live action, in spite of the fact that I love District 9, so maybe the Blomkamp feature length project tanking wasn't such a bad thing after all.

#14 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thought the short was pretty awesome, saw it on XBL before class today. ske7ch posted this over in the neogaf thread about the what, when, and where concerning the short:
Spoiler

XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#15 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yea, I think we all can agree that Starry Night wins everything ever.

#16 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Yea, I think we all can agree that Starry Night wins everything ever.

Starry Night kicks ass.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#17 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

One question though... Why wasn't Thom delivering the bomb in the first place if he had the jetpack? :P I want to know more about the logic behind this mission. And I'm also a little upset that this trailer is supposed to show how Kat lost her arm, and yet after the blast we can still clearly see it attached. I understand she could have lost it later while under medical attention, but still... I also would've liked to see a little more 'Spartan' in how she lost her arm, you know? I mean, other soldiers could have lost their arm to a fuel rod blast just as easily, so it wasn't a uniquely Spartan way to lose it. What would've been cool would have been if she lost it in a one on one fight with an Elite, and he got her arm with his sword, but then we'd get to see her beat the crap out of the Elite with just one arm before passing out, or something similarly impressive. We've seen Spartans do similar stuff shortly after losing a limb. She just laid there awkwardly. It wasn't really a testament to the spirit of Spartans. Or if it is, then this stands as further evidence that IIs are better than IIIs. :P

#18 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

The censors don't take kindly to dismemberment.

#19 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

But something else could have been done to hint towards the dismemberment. Even if it was something as simple as cutting off her arm using the edge of the screen, only symbolically hinting towards it no longer being there. But instead it was shown in full, still attached and still in the same condition it was before the blast. This is just how I feel about it.

Edited by Postmortem, 26 August 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#20 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

I liked it, all of it. Especially the music. Really set the tone for the piece. The only real cheesy part I thought was during the scene where the old Noble 6 flies away on the jet pack. Just looks silly. Other than that, all around great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq