Halo: Reach

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

So. I played a little of everything. Some Team Slayer (including Elite Slayer), a little Firefight, lots of Score Attack, and even managed to work in two Invasion games. Shit's fun, yo. The game feels a little faster than the Beta, but not in a bad way. I never had problems with jumps, run speed is almost completely unchanged. It's much smoother. Fall damage is awesome, and I'm so happy that it's back. Seeing a retard jump from the top of a map to the bottom only to wind up dead because he doesn't know shit about Halo is incredibly satisfying. The DMR is incredible, so much better than the broken piece of garbage that we know as the Battle Rifle. Grenades have definitely been toned down. I'm pretty neutral on this because I didn't really have a huge problem with this in the Beta, nor did I use them a ton. They're grenades, I suppose. Plasma grenades are, without a doubt, better than frags (got an Overkill with a single Plasma in one of my Invasion games). As far as weapons go, the Repeater remains completely useless. You're much better off with the Plasma Pistol. AR is also worthless, seeing as every loadout that starts you with one also starts you with either the Pistol or the DMR. Pistol is amazing. Out-gunned somebody with one when he was using a DMR. It feels so damn good. The removal of the kickback really makes a huge difference. The Cage is a good map, for both DMR and Sniper slayer. I was skeptical about Snipers at first, but I ended up having a lot of fun with it (and, interestingly, it seems the bottom map is the most advantageous to control, at least in a long-range gametype). Asylum is great on DMR slayer, kinda iffy on Elite Slayer. I think Elites are too fast and with Evade, the map is just too damn small. You can get across it in five or six seconds. Paradiso. Holy shit this map is awesome. ESPECIALLY with Snipers. Lots of cover with big, open fields in-between them. Shaping up to be one of my favorite maps in the game. It also looks gorgeous. I know people keep saying that the Forge World pallet is going to get tired, but I'm having a hard time believing that, at least after playing three of the maps. Have still yet to get a game on Reflection. I really want to try it out. Spire is really awesome. Not sure if I like it better than Boneyard, but a grand total of two games on it makes it hard to judge the map as of right now. I had fun, anyway. Firefight matchmaking actually works, somehow, and even with seven people in the playlist I got a match with two other guys and it was pretty much lag free. Was short and fun. Keeping it to one set for matchmaking was a great idea. Fast and intense, though I do think that with more than two people the difficulty should probably be bumped from Heroic to Legendary. Score Attack is great, and if you're looking to grind credits, this is definitely the way to do it. Gruntpocalypse is easy, fun, fast, and has yet to net me less than 1200 credits for a single game. About two to three times the credit gain when put up against multiplayer. Is this a good or a bad thing? I'm not really sure, but if Bungie doesn't like it I'm sure they can make changes. All in all, the game is a blast to play, whether it be Campaign, Forge, Firefight, or Multiplayer. I can't wait for you all to get the game so I can stop playing with retarded randoms or all by my lonesome. (Having your team score look like 16 - 0 - 3 - 1 is kind of frustrating, sometimes.)

#2 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:16 AM

Your post has me as excited for Reach as any recent Vidoc! Matchmaking is the bread and butter of Halo and it sounds like Reach is going to sweet. Thanks very much for these impressions. May I ask about the gametype weightings? How often does SWAT show up?

#3 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:59 AM

Is the pistol over powering? Or is there a balance of things?

Edited by Crucified, 09 September 2010 - 04:27 AM.

#4 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

Your post has me as excited for Reach as any recent Vidoc! Matchmaking is the bread and butter of Halo and it sounds like Reach is going to sweet. Thanks very much for these impressions.

May I ask about the gametype weightings? How often does SWAT show up?

SWAT has shown up twice out of maybe eight or nine matches.

Is the pistol over powering? Or is there a balance of things?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "overpowering". The game is very well balanced, but there's always going to be weapons that are better than most others. The Pistol is one of those weapons.

#5 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

I mean, do most people just use the pistol and forget using anything else because the pistols going to own any other weapon You use any way

#6 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Drew can you still vote for "None of the above" in matchmaking or is there only 4 options now?

#7 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Drew can you still vote for "None of the above" in matchmaking or is there only 4 options now?

You still can vote for none of the above.

#8 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

The anticipation is killing me. On Sept. 14, I officially drop off the face of the Earth and my social life vanishes (except online of course! :P)
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#9 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

One thing that a lot of people were complaining about in the Beta was that the Pistol was the clear victor over DMR/NRifle at close, mid, and long range. Of course, the reality was that they were equal at mid range and the DMR is the victor at long range. Is this still the case?
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#10 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

One thing that a lot of people were complaining about in the Beta was that the Pistol was the clear victor over DMR/NRifle at close, mid, and long range. Of course, the reality was that they were equal at mid range and the DMR is the victor at long range. Is this still the case?

I would say that clearly the case. I feel the DMR is much more accurate at a distance and therefore more effective because you can shoot it a little quicker.

#11 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:50 AM

I think I'm in love with Invasion.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#12 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

All I played in Bad Company 2 was Rush, so I'm looking forward to some Invasion tonight :D

#13 Crucified

Crucified
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

I think I'm in love with Invasion.

Dude invasion kicks ass. I don't think I've enjoyed slayer as much as I did on invasion.

#14 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:42 AM

Is it just me or does the DMR seem a lot easier to use from the beta version? I do have to agree with Cocop on the movement changes since the beta. I thought even those subtle changes would make the game too fast paced, but it really feels a lot better.

#15 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

I don't know what's even different, but Invasion is amazing!

#16 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

The splitting up has got to be addressed. That is my one and only complaint so far. No excuse for a party in Invasion to ever be split up. BTB should never start with less than 14 players. Here's the other thing: I dig the armor abilities. But they've made active camo completely useless. So, in order for it to conceal you in the slightest, you have to be still or crouched to move. You can't walk at a slightly slower pace and stay hidden. So, if you do crouch and are hidden, guess what? That scrambled motion sensor tells the sniper or dude camping the objective that someone is around him. So, he starts freaking out and checking all over for the blur. Stupid decision with this one.

#17 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

Believe it or not the camo f'in works though. Sometimes in a fast paced game I get randomly killed by some dude I didn't even know was there. There are people who learn how to use it well.

#18 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Fucking Bungie fix your shit. There should be a search restriction that specifies "DON'T SPLIT US UP ASSHOLES". I'm willing to wait longer if we need to, just don't fucking split us up.

#19 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Ivan, I choose not to believe it. Maybe you were distracted and didn't notice 15 fast moving yellow and red blips in your lower left hand corner. It would be useful in matches without a sensor... But, my guess is they've nerfed that, too. Where's that map that we played during the Beta? It was the network load testing map. The one with the power plant and the things you could lockdown. Generator Defense, I think...

#20 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

Where's that map that we played during the Beta? It was the network load testing map. The one with the power plant and the things you could lockdown. Generator Defense, I think...

That's Overlook. It's a Firefight map.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo: Reach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq