• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:06 AM

Halo 3 Campaign Spoilers Down There... Well apparently Bungie wanted outsville at the end of Halo 2. I didn't know this first hand until recently, but I'm not very surprised. I'm sure it had something to do with the screwed up development process, them not finishing on time and having to cut levels, knowing the campaign sucked, etc... But by the grace of God and Microsoft's bank account they stayed on board and made Halo 3. Now, somewhere during the Halo 3 process Bungie knew they were leaving afterwards, I mean they had to. This has been planned for years. So my question is: If you know you are leaving, why leave the end of the game so.... OPEN!! and basically let everyone know that there is going to be another game?? Bungie could have been so confident that Microsoft would only let Bungie do Halo 4 so they left it open? But I'm willing to bet that one of the reasons that Bungie left Microsoft is because THEY DID NOT WANT TO MAKE HALO 4. Or part of the Split Agreement is that Bungie will make Halo 4, but then that is it! Because we know if it was up to Microsoft Bungie would be making Halo 4,5,6 and 7. We know Bungie wants out of the Halo Universe and to work on a new IP. So as Developers, and knowing the risk of Microsoft hiring another company to continue with the Halo Series and ruin it, it just surprises me that they did not conclude all loose ends and finish this bitch once and for all. So at least everyone could say "Bungie completed it, no need resurrecting it."

#2 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:45 AM

There's a few things we know about Bungie's official next project:
  • It's interactive and apparently episodic.
  • It's part of a joint project with Peter Jackson.
  • It's being tentatively referred to as 'The Halo Chronicles.'
We don't really know if its a full-fledged game, some sort of downloadable content or possibly something else.

We do know that according to Harold Ryan, the studio manager, the next Halo game is likely to be a shooter [Edge - 01/2007], so based on that and the announcement made by Bungie, I don't think the Halo franchise is in jeopardy of ending or that we would have another studio working on it (at least immediately).

Bungie is a multi-game studio and they have been for some time now (they were working on Halo 3, Halo 2 Vista, and The Halo Chronicles). While I do think they want to branch out, they're not dumb. The Halo franchise will yield the best fan response and the best financial return. I really think the Bungie split had more to do with leverage during development and money, and rightfully so.

I really think Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and Halo 3 tell a complete story, so even if Bungie were to walk away (which they're not), I wouldn't have a problem with it. The Legendary ending shows me that while the press and others will refer to their next full retail game in the Halo Universe might be titled 'Halo 4,' it will be far from being another adventure of the Master Chief. I think the ending of the game infers to the mystery of the Forerunners, one thing that Bungie dropped breadcrumbs about throughout the series, but as you accurately pointed out, having completely answered.

For the Halo Trilogy, I believe the average gamer knows all they really need to know. For hardcore fans and the Bungie community, there's a lot of story left to be told. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Halo game involved the Forerunners heavily, hence the inference at the end of Halo 3. Perhaps it's told from the Forerunner's perspective or maybe a perspective like the Chief's (not him, but another character) which verges deeply into the fiction surrounding the Forerunners.

It'll be interesting to see.

#3 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:15 AM

Wow I never really thought of that. Ending the Halo Trilogy like they did, yes finishing John and Cortana's fights but giving us an ending that shows a Forerunner planet and leading that into their next "Project." I can not see Bungie making Halo 4 any time soon, but ending Halo 3 and setting a pre-cursor for Halo Chronicles or even something else they are working on that would deal with the Forerunners is genius. I'm aroused.

#4 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:14 AM

I thought Wingnut was tackling the episodic project with consultation and technology provided by Bungie. From what I remember, production has been in full swing for quite some time. While it's clear Bungie is playing a very important role, they aren't the development studio. I like the open ending in Halo 3 and I don't necessarily think it begs for a sequel. Sure, it leaves a window, but it also holds true to how Bungie has always handled their game history. They give you enough to understand the underpinnings of the story, but leave enough in the shadow to be mysterious. If they answered every question, we'd have nothing to discuss, and the story would die. Think Star Wars. After the first three dropped, everyone tossed story ideas back and forth. How did Luke's father become Darth Vader? Why is Yoda in exile? What are the Clone Wars? Lucas answered all of those questions with the second trilogy. And his answers sucked compared to what two decades of fan imagination could conjure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq