• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#61 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

I'm surprised we have all NO responses here, and this game is the best selling game of all time. Just imagine how much more it could have sold if they put out a quality product last time.

#62 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'm tempted to rent this out, beat the Campaign and sample the multiplayer. It's just looks oh so boring though. Funny thing is the unlockables and all that crap is making not want to rent it at all. I don't want to compete with folks with better weapons that I can't unlock because I don't have the time or inclination. I hated that when I rented MW2 and there were folks running around with Double-Instant-Kill Shotties and my pea-shooters wouldn't do anything. Plus there's no PEW PEW guns.

#63 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

Funny thing is the unlockables and all that crap is making not want to rent it at all. I don't want to compete with folks with better weapons that I can't unlock because I don't have the time or inclination. I hated that when I rented MW2 and there were folks running around with Double-Instant-Kill Shotties and my pea-shooters wouldn't do anything.

Plus there's no PEW PEW guns.

The unlock system is completely revamped. It's no longer "I have to be X level to get Y." Instead, you earn money for playing matches that allow you to unlock stuff. However, there are restrictions on what you can buy. Perks for example are completely open from the start; you can buy whatever you want whenever you want. The pro version of the perks you really have to work for though.

There are still some restrictions on weapons and equipment. I don't know all the details, but it doesn't matter. Generally the lower level weapons are good enough. For example, the Enfield is a beastly weapon that's unlocked merely at level 6. In addition, once a weapon is unlocked, you can buy whatever attachments you want for it right away. This significantly reduces the grind.

In addition, Call of Duty traditionally has decent starter weapons, and a good player will beat a bad player every time regardless of the weapon they choose. That is, unless there's a balance problem. For example, in MW2 the F2000 was such complete trash that no serious player would consider using it.

The 1887's in MW2 were retardedly overpowered, and they were nerfed to useless very quickly. You could still use the Akimbo Rangers if you want to continue to be a bad player if you wanted to, but against even a single good opposing player, that strategy fails. Akimbo Shotties still exists in Black Ops, but I haven't seen it yet.

I'll get it eventually for the campaign, but I think I'll avoid the multiplayer for a while (at least until after the first round of patches).

Probably a good idea actually. We haven't seen any major balance issues or game breaking bugs yet, but I'm sure they're going to creep up at some point. Then again, Treyarch knew they couldn't screw this game up after the trash IW released. Instead of flat out ignoring community feedback on balance, Treyarch actually resolved every complaint.

Wait, so you can't get a nuke to end the match? Wow, bummer.

Correct. You can no longer win the game by ignoring the objective.

I'm not until I see this thing is actually balanced and not full of game-breaking balance issues or glitches. I may get it eventually for the campaign.

So far, the only balance issue I've seen is the RC-XD. It's basically a superior predator missile at a 3 killstreak, reducible to 2 when using Hardline, which is actually a useful perk since Stopping Power is gone. I'm actually surprised at how much more balanced the game is without Stopping Power.

Are there nukes? What are all the different killstreaks?

Is it annoying that they have those unrealistic RC cars after 2 kills?

The RC cars are quite annoying, especially since, like the predator missiles in MW2, it always comes after me :(

As far as I know, a nuke goes off at the end of every match on the Nuketown map, which makes sense considering it's supposed to be a joke map. There is no nuke killstreak. In fact, here's the full list with my comments. Remember, KILLSTREAK KILLS DO NOT ADD TO YOUR CURRENT KILLSTREAK! If I have Napalm Strike, Mortar Team, and Attack Helicopter equipped, get 5 kills, call in a Napalm Strike and get X kills (pick a number for X > or = 0), I do not get a Mortar Team or Attack Helicopter. This is why it's safe to reduce the number of kills for a Chopper Gunner to 9.

3 kill streaks: Spy Plane, RC-XD
4 kill streaks: Counter-Spy Plane, SAM Turret
5 kill streaks: Care Package, Napalm Strike
6 kill streaks: Sentry Gun, Mortar Team
7 kill streaks: Attack Helicopter, Valkyrie Rockets
8 kill streaks: Blackbird, Rolling Thunder
9 kill streaks: Chopper Gunner
11 kill streaks: Attack Dogs, Gunship

The Spy Plane is identical to the UAV and Recon Plane.
The RC-XD is really annoying at a 3 killstreak. It really should be a 5 killstreak.
Counter-Spy Plane is the same as the Counter UAV.
The SAM Turret shoots down killstreaks. I don't know exactly how it functions.
The Care Package is the same as MW2, but for Black Ops killstreaks obviously.
Napalm Strike is like an Airstrike except the area catches on fire for a few seconds, preventing opponents from utilizing ground zero a short time.)
Sentry Gun is pretty much the same, and I'm sure you have to call it in like the Care Package.
Mortar Team is basically 3 Air Strikes that you mark before calling it in, although the attack begins a little later then you'd expect from an Air Strike. IDK if they all the sites are hit simultaneously or if they're hit in order of positioning.
Attack Helicopter is the same as MW1 and 2.
Valkyrie Rockets are similar to two successive Predator Missiles except they're launched from your location. You can either fire directly at your target or fire up into the air and come down Predator style. I have no idea if it has boosters or not.
Blackbird is a buffed Spy Plane. Instead of just showing blips every 3 seconds, it shows you exactly where your opponent is in realtime and what direction they're facing. In addition, it cannot be shot down.
Rolling Thunder is just like the Stealth Bomber except it shows up on radar.
The Chopper Gunner is pretty much the same except you're not in camera mode; You're actually sitting on the side of it.
Attack Dogs probably function the same way as they did in WaW, and thank goodness they moved it to an 11 killstreak. My description assumes they function identically to WaW; I haven't seen them yet in Black Ops. Attack Dogs summons a pack of trained dogs that continuously spawn from the edges of the map for 1 minute. During this time, the dogs can kill players with two melee attacks. However, you can kill a dog and get points towards your total score in deathmatch. In WaW, it was 10 points per human kill, 3 points per dog, 750 points to win. I imagine everything is just multiplied by 10.
For the Gunship, you're not just riding inside a helicopter, you're flying it. You get to use the a mounted machine gun of some kind and rockets.
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#64 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:43 PM

I'm surprised we have all NO responses here, and this game is the best selling game of all time. Just imagine how much more it could have sold if they put out a quality product last time.

Best selling in the sense that it made the most money in the first twenty-four hours. This basically happens once a year to one title: Halo 2, Halo 3, GTA, MW2 all broke this record. Black Ops won't even break the top twenty when it comes to "best-selling" (making the most money or selling the most copies).

#65 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Alright, there's two broken things in Black Ops besides the RC-XD. The first is for Merguson, the third arm still exists :P Basically, you can still melee with a knife when Akimbo'd. Idk about game breaking, but most certainly silly. The next one really does break the gameplay completely. It is nearly impossible to hear footsteps unless the guy is like within a meter of you regardless of what Tier 3 perk they're using. This makes Ninja absolutely worthless and from what I've read, Ninja Pro doesn't improve anything. There's also another bug with Ninja. When I'm crouched, I can clearly hear my own footsteps and it's significantly louder than when I'm sprinting. Err, what? I'll give more details as I come across them but as it stands, the audio for footsteps is completely broken.

#66 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

Good to know. I've only been using ninja. I rented this game, and so far I've enjoyed it a lot. The campaign was fun and short, pretty much what you'd expect from a Call of Duty game. The multiplayer reminds me more of the original Modern Warfare than Warfare 2. I'd keep an eye on what happens with glitches, but it's definitely worth trying out. PS Nightrider and some of the others that have played this a bunch, what is your current setup?

Edited by Vanwadilion, 12 November 2010 - 06:32 AM.

#67 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,067 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

The multiplayer reminds me more of the original Modern Warfare than Warfare 2.

O RLY?!?!?!

Damn. I'm going to be alone tonight... It's going to be rough to not go pick this up in a moment of weakness.

#68 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

A couple of other complaints I forgot, since this is in regards to the menu. In traditional CoD style, the game will randomly drop players from your party. You'd think they've figured out how to fix this by now...

In addition, the leaderboards are completely messed up. It looks like it's multiplying kills/deaths by a factor of 100 or so.

Funny thing is the unlockables and all that crap is making not want to rent it at all. I don't want to compete with folks with better weapons that I can't unlock because I don't have the time or inclination. I hated that when I rented MW2 and there were folks running around with Double-Instant-Kill Shotties and my pea-shooters wouldn't do anything.

Plus there's no PEW PEW guns.

I feel I should explain this again. Weapons/Equipment still requires you to be a certain level to unlock. At that point, you can buy it. Perks and attachments on the other hand are all purchasable after like level 4 or as soon as you unlock the weapon. That's why I said earlier that the money system makes Weapons and Equipment less accessable while making perks and attachments more accessible. Imo, the perks attachments are more important than the weapon you pick anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

Also, you do have to work harder for the pro version of each perk. You generally have to do something you normally wouldn't do. For instance, for Ghost Pro you have to destroy a Sentry Gun. Because, as we all know, you're likely to find and melee a Sentry Gun in any given game. The rest seem to be more reasonable.

Lastely, I still see people using Second Chance. I just don't get it. I mean, it might help a little bit in Domination or Headquarters if you're capping points, but for Deathmatch it's complete junk. Why can't people figure that out? Heck, I finish them off with Concussion Grenades just to embarrass them for being bad.

#69 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

On David Vonderharr's Twitter, he mentions some issues with the audio. Idk what it means, but they are aware of the issue/concern.

We put in a bug about the low volume for the defuse sound. I want to talk to the community about footsteps, but can't ATM.

#70 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

This is amazing! Best kill-cam finish ever?!

#71 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

That's definitely the best one I've seen, although things like this make me sad. Kids in MW2 ran around doing all kinds of stupid crap for montage kills, including using throwing knives around at random. You have no idea how many times I've heard a throwing knife hit a wall in my vicinity and I was able to turn around and kill the moron. Nice try montage scrub. /pet peeve

#72 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

I just played Demolition on Nuketown. 'nuff said.

#73 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

I ended up deciding not to get it. After playing CoD2, CoD3, CoD4, CoD5 and CoD6... It does tend to get boring...

#74 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

I'm just getting a little frustrated with their departure from realistic and historical war simulations. The games are starting to play out too much like James Bond action sequences than actual combat, which is the whole reason I got hooked on the series in the first place. That's the only reason I'm taking a while getting this one. The game looks beautiful and I'm excited to play it, but I feel like it's lost too much of its importance for me to be rushing out money-in-hand.
GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

#75 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

Borrowed it from a friend, beat the campaign, it was meh. The only reason I would've even considered buying this would be to play Nazi Zombies while getting sloshed because my friends still played that game until this one came out.

#76 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Over the past forty-five minutes, me and my party of five have completed two matches. We've been forcibly dropped about ten times, one game broke halfway through and booted us all out into the lobby, and the rest of the time has been spent searching for a match and then getting pushed back to the lobby (or so the party leader says, since if you're not the leader all you see is a static lobby).

#77 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:49 AM

BEAST

#78 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

BEAST

Simply incredible.

#79 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

STRATEGIC,CHAOTIC AND HECTIC,CAMPING NERD TELLS ALL

This is from the same guy.

#80 Postmortem

Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

• 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

"YOU AIN'T NO PLAYAH SON! CAUSE THE GAME IS PLAYIN YOU! LIFE IS PLAYIN YOU! CAUSE YOU'RE HIDIN IN THAH CORNER!" lol

Edited by Postmortem, 14 November 2010 - 08:45 AM.

GT: FinalPOSTMORTEM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq