The Legendary Ending

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Confalone

Confalone
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

yeah seeing the chief from another set of eyes would be a pretty welcome change of pace. But he would really have to be romanticized and just plain mystical, you know all those qualities that M$ was trying to showcase in the Beleive campain (which who knows? maybe the chief will one day end up holding that grenade on that hilltop?)

#22 crystal ash

crystal ash
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:03 PM

Is there anything that says when exactly in time the Arbiters' meeting with Lord Hood occurs? What's to say Bungie didn't throw a curveball in the timeline, and actually showed us what will be the conclusion of the next game? This would explain how the Arbiter is on Earth (well, not 'explain', but you get my point). It would also gently prepare us for the Chief's death. (Whilst I think it's a fair point to say Halo 3 should have killed off MC, I think it would have been too difficult/shocking to take...don't forget, after three games, I feel quite attached to him!). It would also mean the Chief has the Arbiter as a fighting partner. Personally, I feel it would be fantastic if the Chief did discover Onyx, and one of the goals of the game is to open the slipspace portal (not knowing what/who is inside). Imagine then the powerful and emotional storyline as, having spent three games with the belief that he is the last Spartan, the Chief is reunited with Mendez, Halsey and the other Spartans. The Master Chief would eventually have to die, but the game would have opened up a whole new range of characters and directions to go it.
"Wake me, when you need me."

#23 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

Huh? Crystal Ash, the memorial service they hold is for the Chief who is listed as MIA.

#24 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

Is there anything that says when exactly in time the Arbiters' meeting with Lord Hood occurs? What's to say Bungie didn't throw a curveball in the timeline, and actually showed us what will be the conclusion of the next game?

This would explain how the Arbiter is on Earth (well, not 'explain', but you get my point). It would also gently prepare us for the Chief's death. (Whilst I think it's a fair point to say Halo 3 should have killed off MC, I think it would have been too difficult/shocking to take...don't forget, after three games, I feel quite attached to him!). It would also mean the Chief has the Arbiter as a fighting partner.

Personally, I feel it would be fantastic if the Chief did discover Onyx, and one of the goals of the game is to open the slipspace portal (not knowing what/who is inside). Imagine then the powerful and emotional storyline as, having spent three games with the belief that he is the last Spartan, the Chief is reunited with Mendez, Halsey and the other Spartans. The Master Chief would eventually have to die, but the game would have opened up a whole new range of characters and directions to go it.

Not to mention that directly after the Arbiter and Half-Jaw talk to each other and Half-Jaw says he wishes to return home, to know that it is safe. Pretty sure it is directly after the crash landing. Not to mention that I really doubt they would have a memorial service later rather than sooner.

#25 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

Is there anything that says when exactly in time the Arbiters' meeting with Lord Hood occurs? What's to say Bungie didn't throw a curveball in the timeline, and actually showed us what will be the conclusion of the next game?

The only flaw with this theory is that the part of the In Amber Clad that falls into the ocean is distinctly the front half, where the Arbiter was flying back into the portal; while the cargo bay area is what the Chief is now sleeping in. It's very safe to keep with the assumption that the shockwave of the Halo firing sheered the ship in half just as it entered Slipspace, keeping the Arbiter on his course to Earth and flinging the Chief/Cortana into some uncharted recesses of space.

But if that ends up being true, that twist would surpass M. Night Shymalamanamalamanomanon's The Village twist on the, "Seriously, what the fuck was that shit?" scale.

#26 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

But if that ends up being true, that twist would surpass M. Night Shymalamanamalamanomanon's The Village twist on the, "Seriously, what the fuck was that shit?" scale.

No for something like that to happen they would have to reveal that the Master Chief is actually Dick Cheney, the Covenant are actually Humans in alien suits, Cortana is a strange vision Cheney is having from his heart meds, the Flood are actually really ugly people homeless people who want change, and to top it all off the Prophet of Truth was both the Master Chief and Arbiters father.

#27 ZayneHumphrey

ZayneHumphrey
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

I really think that it is another fail safe protocol (just like the article said) that allowed Master Chief and Cortana to go to the dimension or realm that the other few remaining Spartan II's and III's, Mendez, and Halsey are trapped in. Though, I still have a thought that somehow, Bungie is going to tie Halo into Marathon (probably another thread to be made), through the planet, and that it is somehow 200 or so odd years into the future (but it doesn't explain the Sword and Shield emblem on the planetoid/Marathon/Legendary Planet).

#28 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:28 AM

I really think that it is another fail safe protocol (just like the article said) that allowed Master Chief and Cortana to go to the dimension or realm that the other few remaining Spartan II's and III's, Mendez, and Halsey are trapped in. Though, I still have a thought that somehow, Bungie is going to tie Halo into Marathon (probably another thread to be made), through the planet, and that it is somehow 200 or so odd years into the future (but it doesn't explain the Sword and Shield emblem on the planetoid/Marathon/Legendary Planet).

No. For the love of all that is good in this world, can we please have a gentleman's moratorium on the new Halo 3 threads? For every little idea or question we can come up with, I'm sure there is already a thread into which that question nicely fits. But making new threads for every idea which quickly die off just clutters the forum. One of the reasons for the search function is to prevent this mindless expansion of the thread count.

#29 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

No. For the love of all that is good in this world, can we please have a gentleman's moratorium on the new Halo 3 threads? For every little idea or question we can come up with, I'm sure there is already a thread into which that question nicely fits. But making new threads for every idea which quickly die off just clutters the forum. One of the reasons for the search function is to prevent this mindless expansion of the thread count.

I absolutely agree and that's a good point. We need to make sure the search function is used before making any new threads. There is a thread regarding this topic and it can be found here.

#30 urk

urk

Don't tase me, bro!

• 474 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:17 AM

One of the reasons for the search function is to prevent this mindless expansion of the thread count.

Nice Flood reference. Thumbs up.

#31 crystal ash

crystal ash
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Crystal Ash, the memorial service they hold is for the Chief who is listed as MIA.

I was under the impression that Spartans were never listed as KIA to keep up morale (I may be mistaken on that?).

Not to mention that directly after the Arbiter and Half-Jaw talk to each other and Half-Jaw says he wishes to return home, to know that it is safe. Pretty sure it is directly after the crash landing. Not to mention that I really doubt they would have a memorial service later rather than sooner.

Again, I may be wrong, but the gameplay only seems to cover very short periods of time. We're talking not more than a couple of days. In a war that has gone on for years, I think it seems plausible that the Chief and Arbiter have time to have this new adventure and find a way to return to Earth.

I would be interested to hear more facts and theories about which parts of the ship went where, and how the Chief and Arbiter got separated, as that could completely disprove my theory.
"Wake me, when you need me."

#32 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

I was under the impression that Spartans were never listed as KIA to keep up morale (I may be mistaken on that?).

Again, I may be wrong, but the gameplay only seems to cover very short periods of time. We're talking not more than a couple of days. In a war that has gone on for years, I think it seems plausible that the Chief and Arbiter have time to have this new adventure and find a way to return to Earth.

I would be interested to hear more facts and theories about which parts of the ship went where, and how the Chief and Arbiter got separated, as that could completely disprove my theory.

That's entirely possible, Ash, but, I think, highly improbable. There's literally nothing to support that theory, while just watching and thinking about the ending normally supports the theory that it happened as Bungie showed it to us: the Chief got left behind, the Arbiter made it through and waited for the memorial service to happen, and after that, the very next thing he does is set course for his homeworld to make sure that it is safe.

#33 Anpheus

Anpheus
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

I didn't say KIA, I said MIA.

#34 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

I didn't say KIA, I said MIA.

I think he was referring to the notion that the Chief may have died and they might be aware of it, but Spartans were never listed as KIA - they were always listed as MIA (even if they had died) to offer the illusion that Spartans could not be killed. Of course, the one problem with this theory is the reason why such measures were enacted: The Human-Covenant Conflict. Without a war, I don't know that they would need a morale booster like the concept of Spartan's being indestructible.

I think the main problem here was the way they rushed the cinematic. Everything which happened is accounted for, but the cut scene goes manifests so quickly that it's difficult to tell if everything went down the way it should be. We should also take into consideration that the Arbiter knows that the Chief is still alive, which is why he repeats the line "Were it so easy" when referencing the Spartan's inability to accept his defeat or death -and- that Cortana is referencing that the Chief recently survived the events which took place at the end of Halo 3. If you listen closely, she even indicates that she believes the Arbiter may have perished.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq