• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

New Halo 2 Maps!?

Another bombshell that was dropped today was the announcement of upcoming new multiplayer maps for Halo 2. There are a ton of details we simply can?t reveal right now but we can confirm that this content will be coming out sometime next Spring and it will cost something to download. We can also confirm that this new content is only going to be available on Xbox 360 and that you?ll need a hard drive to download them (which is also required to play Halo 2 on 360 anyways).

That last point is probably going to rub some of you the wrong way. And frankly, we can?t really blame you for potentially being a little upset at this news. We?re really excited that these maps are coming together and we have the opportunity to give our fans some new content over two years after the game shipped but ultimately, when it comes to pricing and timing and distribution and exclusivity, it?s not up to Bungie. We make games and in this case we?re making maps. Microsoft Game Studios is our publisher and they have the final call on the when/where/how part of the equation.

We?ve seen a gradual shift in our online population more and more towards Xbox 360 but I know there are a lot of folks out there who haven?t made the switch yet. Does that mean you?ll never get to play these new Halo 2 maps? We can?t say for certain, but ultimately we hope to find ways to make the maps more accessible to more fans over time. We have in the past, after all. But again, the final outcome of those decisions won?t totally be up to us.

These maps are shaping up to be really cool and once we can start talking more about them, I think our fans are going to be very, very happy with what?s in the works. With several hundred thousand people still playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live, it?s clear that there?s still high interest in our game, which is awesome. We?re eager to get this new content in your hands as we have folks who are putting a lot of hard work into making something really cool.

One positive of all this is that the team responsible for the backwards compatibility on Xbox 360 are going to go back and look at Halo 2 again. Many of you are aware that a few bugs exist when playing Halo 2 on the new platform and we?ve gotten indications that work is being done to try and improve that experience.

And ultimately, if you want to play Halo 3 next year and if you want to take part in the OTHER big bomb that was dropped today (see below), you?re going to have to upgrade to Xbox 360. There?s still some time and hopefully between now and then, getting a 360 will be more viable for you and there will continue to be more and more reasons to convince you it?s worth the upgrade. (if Halo 3 isn?t already enough)

Bungie

#2 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:41 AM

OMG this is huge! I really hope these maps come out before the H3 public beta because if they don't I won't be playing them much at all. It's doubtful that Bungie will change their minds about bringing back Hang Em' High, here's hoping that a new Damnation gets a chance. Besides Damnation, I want all new maps. So far, Bungie's released map packs containing as little as two maps, and as much as 5. I doubt they'll do two simply because when they did two it was two separate packs of two equaling four new maps, they only did two so they could charge for one set and offer the other for free. They also did the pack of five later, and I doubt they'll do more than five. We currently have 21 maps, so I'm hoping we get at least 4 new ones which would bring our H2 map total to a nice round figure of 25 maps. I think the coolest thing about all of this is that the backward compatibility team at MS has to revisit H2 in order to get the new exclusive 360 maps to work. Frankie makes it a point to mention that some of the problems we get now will be addressed. I'm looking forward to playing these new maps with no "failed to load the map" errors, ghosts of a previous map behind the current map, or a Backwash that doesn't even work problems. Not that we even play Backwash, but it should just work anyway.

#3 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:40 AM

Hmm... Least interesting part of the announcement, imo. I guess its cool they are still supporting their community, but I just feel like Bungie is a complete corporate slave now. Yeah, spend more money for maps for a 2 1/2 year old game. No thanks, Bungie! Again, I guess this is interesting for fans of the game.

#4 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

Sweet! I'm in. I knew I was going back to Halo 2 sooner or later and this makes it irresistable. The best online game ever just got a little better.

#5 phreak

phreak

What happened???

• 735 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:31 AM

The best online game ever just got a little better.

:wacko:

No! That's a disgrace to the hundreds of brilliant online games that have come before and after H2. One of the most popular online games ever yes? Best online game *ever*? Heck no. I'll give you best online game on the Xbox, but if you've played any of the great PC shooters it just doesn't hold a candle.

Okay, enough ranting. :)

Edited by jesusphreak, 15 November 2006 - 08:32 AM.

#6 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:14 AM

Now, my turn to rant. Remember how much of a big deal they made about "Halo Wars won't steal one second of development time from Halo 3"? You can't tell me that we're not being shat on in some form here. The possibilities: 1) The maps are already done, were worked on in an interim period before the official development of Halo 3 came out and are being withheld now for no apparent reason. 2) A number of the multiplayer environment artists and designers are working on these maps. Somebody explain to me how this isn't reducing the amount of time those employees have to work on the important game (Halo 3). I dare you. 3) These maps will be Halo 2 versions of the Halo 3 beta maps. First off, it doesn't make sense because they are (hopefully) completely different gameplay-wise. Second off, environment artists would still be hard at work down-res'ing textures, testing, and tweaking it to fit Halo 2's engine. 4) These maps are just XBL distributed versions of the new H2 Vista maps, developed by the H2 Vista team. They would still need to be down-res'ed (though Bungie might farm this task out to the H2V team) and tweaked, and would undoubtedly offer the pinnacle of skillful gameplay and intense multiplayer experiences... just kidding... you've read the interviews with the H2V team, right? The entire team combined has picked up a battle rifle twice in their Halo careers and has a combined total of 4 double kills and a triple kill (with the sword). In addition, we're paying for maps for a Bungie game that weren't even created by Bungie. I'd trust a lot of people in the Halo: Custom Edition scene much more than the H2V team to make my maps compelling and fun I'll buy them, I'll try them out, but I'm underwhelmed, to say the least...

Edited by Syracuse022, 15 November 2006 - 09:16 AM.

#7 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

buy them? I will intentionally shit myself before I pay american dollars (or their bastard child, Microsoft Points) for freaking Halo 2 maps. What asshats.

#8 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:53 AM

Meh.

#9 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

My (horrible gramatically) reply to Syracuse's long post: At this point, I'm not sure it really matters if Bungie are wasteing time on side projects. Since they've not got a set deadline (as far as we know, there's no real reason to rush it out anyway), it's not like they'll have to cut stuff from Halo 3 just to make their deadline. I suppose it does matter if you want the game as soon as possible, I'm from England though, we know how to wait for video games...

Edited by UHYVE, 15 November 2006 - 09:58 AM.

#10 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

It's a pretty safe bet to know that they're from the Halo 2 Vista crew, being that Bungie, itself, never intended to spend any additional time on Halo 2 (save for Matchmaking list changes).

#11 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

I'll pass...

#12 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

My (horrible gramatically) reply to Syracuse's long post:

At this point, I'm not sure it really matters if Bungie are wasteing time on side projects. Since they've not got a set deadline (as far as we know, there's no real reason to rush it out anyway), it's not like they'll have to cut stuff from Halo 3 just to make their deadline. I suppose it does matter if you want the game as soon as possible, I'm from England though, we know how to wait for video games...

Dude, its so ass that our Gaming Brothers and Sisters in Merry Olde' England have to wait extra time for releases. I'd lobby Molenuiex (whatever his name is dammit) or one of the other awesome European Dev's to make some killer game, something absolutely everyone was drooling over, then just release it in Europe and make the rest of the world wait three weeks. Just for spite.

No, wait, thats a bad idea. I'm not in Europe.

Anyways, I hope the maps are good, but I'll be playing the next gen games thankyewverymuch.

#13 eradzik

eradzik
  • Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:22 PM

So they wont be the same new maps as Halo 3's correct? Well....anyway I hope they will release them before Halo 3 because I will probably be playing Halo 3 most of the month.

#14 Ryan Bonci

Ryan Bonci
  • Banned
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 03:43 PM

when are the new maps and what are they doing about the matching what are they adding?
[img]XxDemon1000xX

#15 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

when are the new maps?

Oh, I'd say around 5 or 6ish.

#16 Ryan Bonci

Ryan Bonci
  • Banned
  • 8 posts