• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#41 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:18 PM

OMG... this set of maps kicks major ass. I think Sanctuary is going to be the best CTF Classic map in the game- it just looks perfect for that. Turf is awesome just because of what it is- an Earth city level, full of destruction and the Halo "feel." Containment will probably surpass Waterworks as my favorite humongous map. And Warlock... oh, Vociferous, you and I differ in our view of this map in a major way... this map is full of the mindless fury of endless firefights the way arena-style maps like Foundation always are. This one, however, is much more intelligently designed than Foundation (Halo levels > Marathon levels)- it has cover, way more accessible weapons (and lots of them- did you see that there are 4 BATTLE RIFLES and 4 SHOTGUNS???) Even on Matchmaking, this map will kick ass. I can't wait to play all of the seemingly simple mindless gametypes on this map that end up being huge, strategic battles. Is anyone else very happy about the way that Bungie is handling this DLC in the press? No secrets, no bull, just straight information- tons of screenshots, tons of videos, tons of candor. If they had done this before November 9th, we might not have a clan, because nobody would have been scouring the internet for the smallest mite of information. I guess it's alright, then, that Bungie was so tight-lipped about that release, but keep this new map stuff coming- especially the RvB walkthrough- way more strategic than watching the SMG gods from the media play. "I have a Drinol beast in my pants." ~ Vociferous **EDIT- Voc- if you're talking about the Gamespy videos, I have them. I'll try to set up a YouSendIt.

#42 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

did you see that there are 4 BATTLE RIFLES and 4 SHOTGUNS???)? Even on Matchmaking, this map will kick ass.

That I did. With the new patch, I can finally send all of my slugs to their new cybornetic yet fleshy home, and you can kill people with these things called "headshots." (I still haven't seen one out of captivity)

way more strategic than watching the SMG gods from the media play.

Anybody who knowingly passes up Battle Rifles, Shotguns, Brute Plasma Rifles, and the like are only gods of the piss they emit when faced with a sword whore.

#43 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

That I did. With the new patch, I can finally send all of my slugs to their new cybornetic yet fleshy home, and you can kill people with these things called "headshots." (I still haven't seen one out of captivity)

No joke, dude. The battle rifle update has probably tripled the amount of FSKs (Four shot kills) I get a game. My accuracy is probably 9% higher, and I am loving it! This is how the battle rifle should always have been. (*NOTE: All statistics made up on the spot, but the battle rifle is still rape now)

Unfortunately, YouSendIt hates me, so that is not a viable option for sending the movies to you guys. It was taking too damn long, and kept "lagging out" for lack of a better term. Weaksauce.

#44 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:53 PM

The High Res version of the Warlock walkthrough can be found here via Torrent download.

EDIT: Red vs. Blue said their bandwidth is holding up, so they released the Hi Res version in their videos page.

#45 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:02 PM

The links are working now. They must have been hit pretty hard for a little while because nothing I did seemed to work. And Syracuse, I don't think its a bad map by any stretch of the imagination. I think its head-and-shoulders above some of the game's at-launch maps. I think it'll be fun much like Midship is, but with more variables.

I do believe it is at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to these new maps though. It can't touch Turf or Containment in terms of art or just sheer majesty. I think those two will remain my favorites, possibly side-by-side with Zanzibar when everything is said and done. I could be wrong, but they just look grand. I like Sanctuary for several reasons, but overall I like the open maps more than the enclosed ones so that automatically puts Wizard at the back of the line. I think Elongation will be back there with it, but I'm anxious to see Terminal and although I like the Gemini map, I don't know how effective it looks. To me, with the narrow openings, it looks like a remake of Rat Race. At least, that's the vibe I got from seeing a bunch of Spartans darting through doorways into multi-tiered rooms.

Posted Image

Thanks Blaze for the link to Warlock. I can't wait to get these (specifically Containment and Turf), as it will definitely be a highlight of my day until they're released. Ivan was wondering when they were going to be released Monday, and I'd have to estimate that its going to be around midnight. I can't see Bungie holding off till later in the day, unless there's a reason why and its mentioned in Friday's Weekly Update. Otherwise, I'll be on till around two and then I plan on taking undertime to leave work a few hours early, get my ass home and explore.

I do want to say this: I know that some people are going to want to play these maps. For those who want to explore, I'm going to opening a room and going through each map one-by-one, just examining them for an hour or so. If anyone is interested, you can come inside, but don't expect me to be playing them until I've had a chance to absorb some of their greatness.

#46 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

For those who want to explore, I'm going to opening a room and going through each map one-by-one, just examining them for an hour or so. If anyone is interested, you can come inside, but don't expect me to be playing them until I've had a chance to absorb some of their greatness.

I'm with you, Vociferous. You took the words right out of my mouth.

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

I wont be buying the maps. I'll wait. :P I think I can save some hassle 'cause these first two maps are definitely going to keep me entertained until the disk comes out.

#48 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:00 AM

I'm getting all four because the second two collectively are really too good for me to pass up. I actually had a second look at Gemini, which I am pretty certain is the proper name. We've already established that Terminal is a human map, Backwash should be Damnation from what we've read, and know what Elongation will look like. That leaves only Gemini and Relic, and as it was already mentioned there is a reason why this could be Relic as there is a statue in the center of one of the rooms, but this is only one of the rooms. The other has a floating globe and another has a garden of some sort. I think this is indicative of it not pertaining specifically to a "relic" which would mean that it would automatically be Gemini. Plus, if HBO says it is, they have connections with Bungie that we don't so it could be viewed as an accurate, covertly informed, guess. I could be wrong though... The video is actually quite informative because he walks through some of the places multiple times. I've got a good general idea how its laid out and if I've got time today I might make an overhead map of it to see how close I can get to predicting what it will look like (a la Ivory Tower circa 10/04). From the video I get this vibe: The map isn't much larger than Ivory Tower and is composed basically of three circular rooms. The central room as a blue sphere floating in the air and is the largest of the three. The two others are connected via a doorway on one side or the other: one has the Prophet statue facing outward from the central room and the other has a garden filled with large trees. These two rooms have corridors which wind around the actual room, like a balcony looking out across sections of High Charity. These "balconies" serve to connect different parts of those rooms to the central room, as well as to their own room itself. I can't determine if they connect to each other, but I don't think so. There are warps on at least one side of the map (let's say the south side) which takes you all the way across from the statue room end to the garden room end, outside (let's say north) and looking out across toward the Forerunner ship in the background. I'll check my findings tonight and see if I can't throw together a makeshift bird's eye view of the map...

#49 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

I'm all for the exploration idea. I'll probably stay up a little late to download the maps (if the midnight release is real) but not actually take a good look around until I get home from school, just so I don't have to wait out the download then. I'll be on Monday at around 4:00pm-5:00pm, do any homework I might have, then get on again so I can search for any tactical jumps, contesting spots, maneuvers, etc. Then I'll be set for some custom games.

#50 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

Here here to custom games. My plans: I'll be waiting till about 1AM or 2AM for the maps. If they are released I will download and do my best to have a few hours online that evening. If they're not up, I'm going to get up about 6AM to see if it dropped- if yes, I'll download them and explore before going to work (I leave at around 7:30AM). Once I get to work, I'm going to file undertime as soon as I get a chance (this allows me to leave early with vacation pay). Undertime has been coming out around 11:30-12:00. I'll head back home, log on and play. This is all pending Frank telling us they'll be out at a specific time. When he tells us that, which he may make mention on Friday, than I'll pace myself for that point in time. I'm going to first visit Turf, then Containment, then Sanctuary and then Warlock...

• Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:15 PM

Alright... I have read many different things. Which maps are coming out Monday, and which are free?

#52 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:25 PM

Warlock and Containment come out on Monday, April 25th, for free.

Turf and Sanctuary come out on Monday, April 25th, for $6.99.

Turf and Sanctuary come out on June 28th, for free.

The other five maps come out around June 28th for $11.99 via Xbox Live.

The disc with all nine maps, the commentary on making the new maps, and the short story thing come out in stores on June 28th for $19.99.

EDIT: Why yes I did mean that. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks UHYVE.

#53 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

Turf and Sanctuary come out on Thursday, April 28th, for free.

Did you mean June 28th? If not, I'd just wait the extra 3 days.......... I'm gonna wait for the map disc regardless anyways, I want that thing.

EDIT: Hmmmm, the 28th of June isn't a thursday so maybe you did mean April, that would rule.

#54 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

Woops. Yeah I meant June 28th. I just misread what Bungie said.

#55 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:43 PM

Ah, tis a shame :(

• Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:46 PM

Nice, thanks.

#57 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:16 PM

Continuing the tradition, I have a lot of pictures and information posted here:

HERE DUDE, RIGHT HERE.

I'd guess that they will try to release the downloaded maps on Xbox Live at least one week before the disc comes out on June 28th. I'm hoping for even earlier. It would make sense for them to try selling Live first by allow all of them to be available well before the end of June.

#58 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

So, uh, the Humpday challenge was a System Link game this week, and it featured all new maps...

...we were focused and prepared to destroy RvB in a glorious display of gaming prowess as retribution for earlier losses.

Ha, he said prowess. Anyways, RvB is funny, and the Bungie guys are funny, especially with SMGs, so go check it out at Bungie.net

RedvsBlue remembers the events a little bit differently, however, and you can hear their side Here. So far, I haven't gotten the link to work, but it should be working soon.

Look for the walkthrough of Containment later tonight.

*EDIT-
Nevermind. I used my mad skills to find Containment early... poonage. Containment- right here

#59 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

Nice Syracuse. I didn't think I could love Containment any more. It has what few large scale maps have: options. Caverns, bridges, the trench, teleporters, gates, and snowfields littered with mines. In fact, you could probably make it from one base to another on foot, going down the center, without getting sniped since you've got giant boulders and snowballs to hide behind. My favorite big map by far, and what a majestic monster it is.

#60 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

Here is either GEMINI or RELIC:

Posted Image

The Balcony

Well, at least the parts that I could see. This guy didn't really do to much traveling throughout the map, but I think I've got a basic idea the way its laid out. It's around the size of Ivory Tower and similarly has an oblong shape with a north/south layout. The top of the map is pretty much a balcony walkway that has a warp on a platform at its center. To the left if you gaze out you'll see the cityscape of High Charity along with the Forerunner ship in the background. To the right you can see the underbelly of the city's rooftop (its what forms the top part of the hive-like structure surround High Charity). There are automatic doors on both sides which lead into the garden.

Garden

This location has two access points on the sides and gains direct entrance into the statue room south of it. There are several rocks and a single tree in the center. The walls have attached columns that are thick, bright lights and an odd pattern of tiles on the floor.

Statue Room

Heading further south and through an entry way brings you to the statue room, which has a massive Prophet statue at its center and a holographic image of Halo and a gas giant. The blue lighting of the hologram gas giant matches lights that plaster the wall in long, even strips. When you enter you're on the upper level of the room, which grades down to a lower level. Directly behind the statue is a large solid object that looks like a pillar, but it does not connect to the ceiling. It's a typical Covenant design. There are doors on the left and right, but there's no indication where those go to in the video. My guess: not far, perhaps another balcony or a separate level above the statue. There's at least one energy lift in this room which makes me think there's a second level. At the southernmost part of this room is a elongated hall with a warp at its end which takes you to the northern warp.

I think this somes up what we can possibly learn from that video. I'm anxious to see more, because although I think it won't be a map I'll enjoying playing over the others, it does look like fun....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq