Call of Duty: Black Ops

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,953 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

I forget where I read it, but I remember reading that for PC it was going to be 18 players for ranked games, and 24 for unranked.

That's... kind of lame.

#22 Niterider

Niterider

You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

Nice. Bad Company 2 locks the max players as well, and it makes the game a lot better. I might look at it for PC then if my friends aren't getting it on the box (assuming I'm even interested at that point).
PC: Sergeant Ego
Xbox Live: Niterider2004
PS3: Not used
Wii: Lol wut?

#23 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Gamble, Blaze, Drew, Nightshade, Kinetic, I'm surprised you guys aren't getting this. I thought you all were pretty big COD fans, or is that just Infinity Ward COD and not Treyarch. I remember liking COD2 when we used to play it back when the 360 came out, I actually think that was the best shooter on the platform until Halo 3 came out because I don't remember anything better from '05 to Sep '07, but when COD3 came out I thought it was terrible so I never touched Treyarch games again. Oh, and I'm definitely not getting this game.

#24 Merguson

Merguson

I don't know what I'm doing..

• Veteran
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

When MW2 came out, everyone realized the game sucked and moved on. That's what I assume. Or the fact that Call of Duty comes out every year, some people eventually get burned out on the franchise.

#25 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

When MW2 came out, everyone realized the game sucked and moved on. That's what I assume.

That's the reason I hardly play it anymore. The balance issues are just out of hand and the gameplay devolved into tubers and knife runners.

This video was released on G4. The unlock system has been revamped from level based to money based. Money isn’t limited to Wager gametypes, it’s used throughout the game’s multiplayer. This system allows you to unlock whatever, whenever, which is a much better system especially for those who choose to prestige. I’m rather happy with just about everything I saw in this video. So happy that I’m going to list everything and comment on some of them.

Tier 1

Lightweight – Move Faster. (So long as nothing, not even a weapon, replaces Commando, this and Marathon will be fine.)
Scavenger – Pick up ammo from fallen enemies. Replenish lethal grenades. (Yeah, people can’t use it with tubes! Or Equipment! Finally somebody at Activision knows what game balance is.)
Ghost – Undetectable by the Spy Plane and the Blackbird. (I like how this is in the same Tier as Scavenger, so not everyone will run it. However, I expect this will be more useful early on until people unlock new killstreaks and forget that Spy Planes/UAV’s are the best killstreaks in the entire CoD series.)
Flask Jacket – Reduce explosive damage. (No explosive enhancement perks in the game actually makes this useful.)
Hardline – Killstreaks require 1 less kill.

Tier 2

Hardened – Bullets penetrate better. (I want to emphasize that this is a replacement for Deep Impact/Full Metal Jacket. As such, it DOES NOT INCREASE BULLET DAMAGE! It REDUCES the amount of damage lost from shooting through objects and allows you to shoot through objects you normally couldn’t.)
Scout – Hold breath longer.
Steady Aim – Increased hip-fire accuracy. (Steady Aim/Steady Aim Pro in MW2 was a little problematic, as it gave snipers a very good advantage at both range and CQC. Separating these two is a very good thing.)
Sleight of Hand – Faster reloads.
Warlord – Equip two attachments to your primary weapon.

Tier 3

Marathon – Longer sprint.
Ninja – Silent movement.
Second Chance – Pull out your pistol before dying. (Still a noob perk.)
Hacker – Ability to detect enemy equipment and explosives.
Tactical Mask – Reduces the effects of flash and concussion grenades.

Lethal

Frags
Semtex
Tomahawk (With the exception of a few gametypes, I doubt this will be any better than Semtex.)

Tactical

Willy Pete – Creates a smoke screen.
Nova Gas – Start with two gas grenades that impair movement, blurred vision, and cause damage over time.
Flashbang – Start with two Flashbangs that blind and deafen the target. They also stun Equipment and turrets.
Concussion – Start with two Concussion grenades that slow and disorient the target. They also stun Equipment and turrets.
Decoy – Start with two Decoy grenades that simulate gunfire and radar indicators. (I’m looking forward to toying with players using these.)

Equipment

Camera Spike – Camera view replaces the mini-map, D-pad toggles on and off.
C4 – Start with two remote-detonated explosives. Detonate with the clacker or by double tapping X.
Tactical Insertion – Place to create your next spawn point. (Hopefully they’ll make sure they either fix the LIVE exploit or setup the gametypes so that kids won’t boost.)
Jammer – Place to scramble enemy radar within its radius. (Fixed version of the Scrambler perk. Seriously, that perk SUCKED…)
Motion Sensor – Place mobile radar to see enemies within its radius. (Balanced version of the Heartbeat Sensor. I hope it has a very short duration, or else it’ll be another camping utility.)
Claymore – Explosive that is triggered by proximity.

Killstreaks

3 Spy Plane – Shows enemies on the mini-map. Can be shot down.
3 RC-XD – Remote controlled car strapped with explosives.
4 Counter-Spy Plane – Temporarily disables enemy mini-map.
4 Sam Turret – Airdrop a placeable SAM turret that destroys aircraft.
5 Care Package – Airdrop a random killstreak or ammo crate. (Why would you choose this over Napalm Strike?)
5 Napalm Strike – Airstrike that covers an area in napalm.
6 Sentry Gun – Airdrop a placeable Sentry Gun.
6 Mortar Team – Target three locations to bombard with Mortar Strikes.
7 Attack Helicopter – Call in a support helicopter.
7 Valkyrie Rockets – Launcher with remote controlled rockets.
8 Blackbird – Shows both enemy position and direction on the mini-map. Cannot be shot down. (Nobody shoots down UAV’s except me, which makes this worthless. The additional information is not as useful as they made it out to be.)
8 Rolling Thunder – Carpet bombing airstrike.
9 Chopper Gunner – Be the gunner of an attack helicopter. (Really? Really? You left this in the game? This is why Chopper Gunners shouldn’t be in the game, assuming the spawn system is just as bad as MW2’s. The fact that it’s at 9 isn’t that important, since other killstreak kills do not add to your killstreak count.)
11 Attack Dogs – Attack Dogs that hunt the enemy down. (Which would you rather have? A killstreak that allows you to continue doing what you’re doing while netting lots of free kills and distracting the entire enemy team…)
11 Gunship – Pilot an attack helicopter. (…or one that’s just going to get shot down in 10 seconds?)

That’s all for that video. Here’s are some other thoughts from what I see on the CoD wiki.

No Machine Pistols. Yes!
I really hope shotguns are primary weapons. I think Treyarch has said this before, can anyone confirm?
Dragon’s Breath is interesting. I wonder if this is the Black Ops version of Stopping Power.
There is a concern that the Ballistic Knife’s melee might have Commando/Tactical Knife style mechanics with it. I hope it does not.
It's been confirmed that Black Ops will use VATS as an anti-cheat. Idk if that's a good or bad thing, considering the PC version of MW2 is full of hackers. Treyarch has stated that Black Ops will be nearly hack proof.

Attachments

I wish I knew what Dual Mag is. Bandolier, maybe?
Why are Infrared Scopes in the game with no counter? This attachment broke the certain maps like Wasteland and Skidrow.
I hope the flashlight isn’t in multiplayer. It will never get used.
Dual Wield, aka Akimbo. It’s not so bad on subs, but I really hope it can’t be used on any shotguns. I also hope it doesn’t give you a third arm.
Speed Reloader is supposed to be available for only one weapon, so we’ll see how it works.

#26 Blaze

Blaze
  • Veteran
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

We stopped playing MW2 after a month because it stopped being fun. For me, it's because the game is congested with killstreaks, explosives, perks, exploiters, inconsistencies etc. There isn't enough focus on the gunplay, which is Call of Duty's strongest aspect. I hated CoD3 and therefore have no interest in Treyarch titles. As long as the franchise continues to not be fun, I won't be participating.

#27 Slightly Live

Slightly Live

Forward Unto Dawn

• Veteran
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Slightly Live
  • PSN:ForwardUntoD
  • Steam:iwasdani

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

For me, it's because the game is congested with killstreaks, explosives, perks, exploiters, inconsistencies etc. There isn't enough focus on the gunplay, which is Call of Duty's strongest aspect. I hated CoD3 and therefore have no interest in Treyarch titles. As long as the franchise continues to not be fun, I won't be participating.

Was going to say the same thing. With COD 4 I got bored with the perks and bonuses and sold my copy, I rented MW2 and it was just everything I disliked about 4 magnified. The core mechanics are simply buried under not fun fluff.

#28 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

We stopped playing MW2 after a month because it stopped being fun. For me, it's because the game is congested with killstreaks, explosives, perks, exploiters, inconsistencies etc. There isn't enough focus on the gunplay, which is Call of Duty's strongest aspect.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "devolving gameplay." This is also what happens when you don't have a public beta, don't know what game balance is, make your code extremely hackable, and have two failed attempts at fixing probably one of the worst online glitches in video game history.

I hated CoD3 and therefore have no interest in Treyarch titles. As long as the franchise continues to not be fun, I won't be participating.

WaW was basically a WW2 version of CoD4, and thus was pretty fun. I wouldn't dismiss Treyarch so quickly just because CoD3 was trash. With the exception of Wager, it looks like the gameplay will go back to the tactical/intelligent gunplay focus like CoD4.

#29 DualX

DualX
  • Veteran
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

Max Players: Not Confirmed
We have not yet finalized the maximum number of players in ranked or unranked servers. More playtesting is required to determine how high these numbers can go. This happens as late as possible in the project otherwise the game is likely to change in ways that could invalidate the results.

Link.

Also more details about the PC version listed in that link.

#30 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,701 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Gamble, Blaze, Drew, Nightshade, Kinetic, I'm surprised you guys aren't getting this. I thought you all were pretty big COD fans, or is that just Infinity Ward COD and not Treyarch. I remember liking COD2 when we used to play it back when the 360 came out, I actually think that was the best shooter on the platform until Halo 3 came out because I don't remember anything better from '05 to Sep '07, but when COD3 came out I thought it was terrible so I never touched Treyarch games again.

Oh, and I'm definitely not getting this game.

Modern Warfare 2 was a deadly mixture of too many stupid additions that made a great formula unenjoyable. The various killstreaks and junk made the game unplayable because, right out of the gate, all anyone ever did was camp so they could get their Pave Low/Nuke/Chopper Gunner/etc. It also didn't help that every single map in the game was absolute shit.

#31 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,953 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

Gamble, Blaze, Drew, Nightshade, Kinetic, I'm surprised you guys aren't getting this. I thought you all were pretty big COD fans, or is that just Infinity Ward COD and not Treyarch. I remember liking COD2 when we used to play it back when the 360 came out, I actually think that was the best shooter on the platform until Halo 3 came out because I don't remember anything better from '05 to Sep '07, but when COD3 came out I thought it was terrible so I never touched Treyarch games again.

Oh, and I'm definitely not getting this game.

Games devolving into nothing but killstreak rushes and glitch abusing is what killed it for me. It was neat before everyone figured out that the best way to play was to basically not play at all.

#32 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

3 RC-XD ? Remote controlled car strapped with explosives.

Congratulations Treyarch. This is the video game version of jumping the shark.

#33 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

Congratulations Treyarch. This is the video game version of jumping the shark.

I thought so. Especially early on when you're going to see kids using these everywhere instead of the most powerful killstreak in the game, which is rendered useless because everyone is using camo. Devolving gameplay indeed.

Tangent, but the removal of Stopping Power is quite retarded, and it's only because people complained it was an overpowered perk. It was quite the opposite, it's what balanced out the use of the other Tier 2 perks. We're looking at a major meta shift that is definitely for the worse, simply because the developers are listening to the worst of the worst players in the community. Sadly, this isn't the first time I've seen this happen in a game.

#34 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

Sadly, this isn't the first time I've seen this happen in a game.

Spoiler

#35 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,050 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

I have serious doubts about any future CoD title. MW2 was completely ruined for me. The glitching (18 player infinite scoring on Rust with infinite Ammo chief among them) rendered the game completely unplayable for over 6 weeks. When it was finally "fixed," I had moved on. I was expecting MW2 to be a game we played for over 2 years just like the first one. I traded it in May. Hadn't played it since January.

#36 Niterider

Niterider

• Veteran
  • 904 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Spoiler

I was actually referring to Guild Wars. Believe me, it is a much better example than Halo 2.

I have serious doubts about any future CoD title.

MW2 was completely ruined for me. The glitching (18 player infinite scoring on Rust with infinite Ammo chief among them) rendered the game completely unplayable for over 6 weeks. When it was finally "fixed," I had moved on.

I was expecting MW2 to be a game we played for over 2 years just like the first one. I traded it in May. Hadn't played it since January.

You didn't even see the worst of it. 3 weeks after launch, the game became unplayable until around mid Feb-March. This was due not only to custom game lobbies, but also the Javelin glitch, 1887 imbalance, the failure to fix that imbalance, the care package glitch, and the failure to fix it...twice. Be glad you didn't have to experience 4+ harriers , a chopper gunner/ac 130, Airstrikes, and Predator Missiles coming at you simultaneously. I actually stopped playing the game until the Care Package glitch was fixed.

And after all these fixes, we still have OMA tubers and Commando. Every other balance issue is tolerable, but the instant some player decides to use one of those two perks, the game's fun ends.

#37 deftech

deftech

I Bet Gaming Steve Doesn't Discuss Business Ethics Either

• Veteran
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

Heh, we were around for the Javelin, 1887, and care package glitches. When the care package glitch hit, I'm pretty sure that's when we all quit playing. Shitty maps/horrible balance/glitch city/nuke boosting/noob tubers = trade in fodder.

Edited by deftech, 07 September 2010 - 08:42 PM.

#38 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,953 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

An elegant example of why none of us play MW2 anymore:

#39 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

Wow, I'm really glad that I never got into MW2 now. The multiplayer in that game makes MW1 seem like a fluke.

#40 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

An elegant example of why none of us play MW2 anymore:

Haha that's just ridiculous.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq