Photo

HTC HD7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Self Induced

Self Induced

My drinking ethics are not for discussing.

• 739 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

I'm ditching AT&T and the iphone because of the stupidly expensive contract and joining my family's plan over at T-Mobile to save money. I managed to get an HTC HD7 in the process, and it looks like it means serious business. It's gonna take a while to feel it out all the way but it looks like a pretty solid machine. It feels like alien technology though, especially for an ex-iphone user. It's going to take a little while to get used to how a Windows 7 phone works. I can't say for certain if its better or worse than the iphone OS, but its definitely a refreshing change of pace from the springboard. Got the Waypoint app too, and it looks pretty sick.
XBL: Self Induced
(no shit)

#2 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

I love my Windows Phone. I'll take my reasonably priced and functional product over the super-flashy, overpriced garbage that Apple offers any day.

Edited by Drew, 02 December 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

I love my Windows Phone. I'll take my reasonably priced and functional product over the super-flashy, overpriced garbage that Apple offers any day.

Alright dude let's not go overboard and say the iPhone is garbage man. That's honestly ludicrous, and the Win Phones retail for the same price although you can get some deals if you look.

I do really like Windows Phone though, I hope to be able to get one in about 2 years hopefully once they're on-par feature-wise with the iPhone. I consider Win Phone 7 at this very moment to be better than Android.

#4 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:51 AM

My biggest gripe with Apple products is non-expandable memory and it's locked down completely by Apple.
I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#5 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,965 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

It's garbage for the price, Ivan. Don't lie to yourself.

#6 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

It's garbage for the price, Ivan. Don't lie to yourself.

What is the price you're using for comparison? $200? As opposed to what price for a Win phone or Android?

What is garbage about it? Hardware, I'd like to see that argument? Software, what can you do on Win Phone/Android that you can't do on iPhone?

Try to give some facts and not just sensationalized opinions.

#7 aander91

aander91
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

Software, what can you do on Win Phone/Android that you can't do on iPhone?

Use apps that haven't been cleared by the developers of your phone without modding.
I rate this post/Drew.

XBL: aander91

#8 UHYVE

UHYVE
  • Veteran
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Well, even if Windows Phones are better than the iPhone, at this point they just don't have as good app support. Though, if I was gonna get either, I'd probably go for a Windows Phone, just because the UI is super pretty and because I've already got a iPod Touch so...

#9 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

What is the price you're using for comparison? $200? As opposed to what price for a Win phone or Android?

What is garbage about it? Hardware, I'd like to see that argument? Software, what can you do on Win Phone/Android that you can't do on iPhone?

I don't agree with Drew that the iPhone is garbage. But at this point in the game, I personally think WinPhone7 and Android have the lead. I'll be getting a WinPhone7 as soon as it comes out on Verizon because of the UI, the corporate interconnectivity (Sharepoint), and LIVE integration.

But I love my Droid and I think it totally outstrips the iPhone. The customization is totally outrageous. If I want to make it so that when I specifically miss a call from Ivan, it does a different "missed call" ringtone alert, and then instead of the standard green LED flash, it does a purple three-count LED flash... there's an app for that. For a while, I had an app running that turned off cell coverage at 9am and turned on WiFi, because I had no coverage at my desk during the day and it was draining my battery. So the app automatically turned it off based on the time, and then turned it back on at a different time. I could have also had it set to turn off automatically based on GPS location so when I pulled into the parking lot, it turned off cell and turned on WiFi.

Probably my favorite part is the contact tiles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, you can make them bigger or smaller based on how many actions you want to add, and it's all one-touch to perform the action. I pull my phone out of my pocket and unlock it and in one click I am looking at someone's Facebook page. Or e-mailing them. Or calling them. I know the iPhone does some of that but it doesn't give you the real-time look at their Facebook picture which really makes it feel slick, or allow you to do all of the actions that the Droid does (pretty much any "action" with a contact can be applied to a tile, even down to looking at their Twitter account within one click).

And in the second pic above, I have a one-click press that turns on or off BlueTooth (or WiFi or GPS if I wanted). This is useful for quickly turning on BlueTooth when I'm getting in the car.

Posted Image

Here, I have a weather tile, a calendar tile, and one that specifically displays my latest unread texts, but I could also have it only show Tweets, e-mails for any specific e-mail account, missed calls, etc.

I could go on and on but as you can see, the customization is pretty near limitless. However, I am still getting a WinPhone7 next year to see how it stacks up. The customization won't be nearly as good, but I think it will be worth it in other areas. My Droid freezes up or displays some random glitch a lot. At least twice a day. I never hear of iPhones doing that and nor does the WinPhone7 from what I hear. So the Droid does a ton of stuff, but you pay for it with stability.

#10 Arcys

Arcys

Nothing but the rain.

• 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

For a while, I had an app running that turned off cell coverage at 9am and turned on WiFi, because I had no coverage at my desk during the day and it was draining my battery. So the app automatically turned it off based on the time, and then turned it back on at a different time. I could have also had it set to turn off automatically based on GPS location so when I pulled into the parking lot, it turned off cell and turned on WiFi.

What's the name of this app? I keep reading about it here and there, but I keep forgetting to buy/install it.

Probably my favorite part is the contact tiles.

Is this a Blur only thing?

My Droid freezes up or displays some random glitch a lot. At least twice a day. I never hear of iPhones doing that and nor does the WinPhone7 from what I hear. So the Droid does a ton of stuff, but you pay for it with stability.

I've got an HTC Droid Incredible and I've never had any issues with stability. I've played around with a regular Droid, and frankly, I don't know how people stand it. I love HTC's Sense UI and it's super fast thanks to the 1Ghz Snapdragon processor. The difference between stock Android, or heck any other Android phone, is night and day. The Sense keyboard works with my gigantic paws that some call hands.

The only thing I don't like is the shovelware that Verizon pollutes my phone with. I use none of the apps they think I so desperately need. I could root my phone, but I'm too much of a pussy being afraid of screwing something up.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for I am missing my amygdala.

#11 Cocopjojo

Cocopjojo
  • Veteran
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:13 AM

What's the name of this app? I keep reading about it here and there, but I keep forgetting to buy/install it.

Tasker. The app is incredible. I could set it up so that every time I plug in my headphones, it automatically sends a text to Ivan with a canned message telling him he's a nub.

Is this a Blur only thing?

It's a "Motorola Widget." I have a Droid 2.

#12 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

The HTC phones seem to kick the iPhone's ass. But they're so huge. Practically speaking, someone who owns and HTC tell me about how you deal with the largeness/extra largeness from getting a battery that can last more than two hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq