#21 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,705 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

A lot of ground has already been covered on this movie already so I'll not repeat a lot. Overall I thought the movie was good, not great. Character development of Rey and Kylo was phenomenal and it was nice to see them firmly swat down all the rumors of Rey's parents, Rey/Kylo switching sides, etc. And that throne room fight was probably my favorite sequence in any Star Wars movie (against actually competent non-Jedi melee fighters, no less). Those two and Luke were easily the best parts of the movie and I was borderline annoyed whenever the action cut away from them. Shout out to the return of muppet Yoda, I actually thought it was awesome how wise Master Luke is still getting taken to Jedi School by him. Leia was good too outside of her stupid Literally Superman pose back onto the rebel ship, but now they're kind of in a corner here with Carrie Fisher's death and are probably thinking "FUCK, we should've had her do the suicide run instead of Big Little Lies lady".d

My largest complaints are Rose (everything with her, a completely forced character who should have had no other screen time after Finn tried to leave on the escape pod) with the tonal direction these movies have been taking with all these shitty comedy bits they're adding in. It's like they're trying to make it as wise-cracky as the Marvel movies and while that mostly works there, I don't think it works for Star Wars outside of the droids like what was already said. Human characters can be funny too, but stuff like the conference call was just eye-rollingly bad. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars always had lighthearted moments between Luke/Han/Leia, those were quick and 

Also, somebody explain this to me. Am I dumb, or was Finn and Rose's entire arc completely pointless and only made things worse for the rebels? If purple hair would have just told everyone they were going to head to the base planet instead of being cagey the whole time, Poe would've never sent them away and never picked up Benicio del Toro, who promptly ratted out the escape shuttles. Why did that whole plan have to stay a secret?

Edited by Kinetic, 24 December 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#22 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

Also, somebody explain this to me. Am I dumb, or was Finn and Rose's entire arc completely pointless and only made things worse for the rebels? If purple hair would have just told everyone they were going to head to the base planet instead of being cagey the whole time, Poe would've never sent them away and never picked up Benicio del Toro, who promptly ratted out the escape shuttles. Why did that whole plan have to stay a secret?

So, I've seen this critique fielded a lot and here's my take on it at least. Please keep in mind that I've only seen the movie once, so there's a high probability that I've missed or forgotten something about this particular arc.

Regarding Rose and Finn's trip, I don't think it was inherently pointless as at least as far as the characters knew, it was one of the only options they had to get out of a "no-win scenario". We as the audience later learn that Laura Dern's plan had a point outside of "I dunno lets just keep going till we run out of fuel lol" and this is around the same time that Finn et al. do too. So while their plan ultimately failed, they were doing something they likely knew wouldn't succeed, failed, but were saved by the overarching plan they weren't aware of.

This plan is yet another explanation of Poe's character flaw: immaturity. He lacks trust and is unwilling to put his life in the hands of someone else who, as we hear him mention briefly, has some level of significant experience (when they announce she's taking over he talks about something she did.) And due to this he puts Finn and Rose in danger because it's a plan he knows rather than one he doesn't.

Now, I won't disagree with you that Laura Dern should have told Poe and all the Rebels her plan. I could also tell you a whole bunch of made up, editorialized reasons like she thought people might defect to save themselves, maybe thought there were spies on board, maybe just hated Poe, etc. to justify it. But at the end of the day it really isn't covered well and while I have my thematic interpretation of it, I fully understand why people have gripes with it.

#23 Kinetic

Kinetic

is Algebraic.

• Veteran
  • 3,705 posts
  • PSN:DocKinetic
  • Steam:dockinetic

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Now, I won't disagree with you that Laura Dern should have told Poe and all the Rebels her plan. I could also tell you a whole bunch of made up, editorialized reasons like she thought people might defect to save themselves, maybe thought there were spies on board, maybe just hated Poe, etc. to justify it. But at the end of the day it really isn't covered well and while I have my thematic interpretation of it, I fully understand why people have gripes with it.

This is the part that made me raise the question. Laura Dern's character never explains to anyone why she didn't let anybody in on her plan. All she had to do was explain it to somebody or at least provide a damn good reason why she didn't, but we don't get that. It comes off as a decision made because the showrunners needed to give Poe and Finn something to do.

#24 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,960 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Lot of questionable scenes, but it was an absolute stunner visually. Can't say I'm disappointed - I came for the spectacle and I got SPECTACLE.

Saw it in IMAX 3D and my wife got us perfect seats (literally in the exact middle). I had a great time overall.

Edited by Drew, 27 December 2017 - 01:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq