• Please log in to reply
1132 replies to this topic

#1121 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

That's right, Spotlight. Great movie, but as a film there are others like it. The Revenant broke new ground in terms of how it was made, and was the most unique movie. That's why it won Best Director and Best Cinematography, btw the cinematographer has one that award 3 years in a row along with Iñarritu director 2 years in a row and Alfonso Cuarron the year before that for Gravity. These Mexican guys are the best filmmakers in the world at the moment.

Revenant and Gravity were beautiful, but both suffered from a lack of plot and some boring AF parts. Overall I preferred Birdman if we're going to talk Inarritu/Cuarron movies.

#1122 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Wow, The Revenant had a GREAT revenge story, and the relationships between the various characters is crazy good. Not to mention that Fitzgerald is up there with one of the best bad guys ever.

#1123 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:32 AM

Wow, The Revenant had a GREAT revenge story, and the relationships between the various characters is crazy good. Not to mention that Fitzgerald is up there with one of the best bad guys ever.

Fair points. Tom Hardy might be my favorite actor at this point. Always delivers. Still think they could have cut out 20-30 minutes.

#1124 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,056 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Warcraft - fuck the haters, this was a fun movie. Note, I have never played WoW, and I only played Warcraft II. I don't care one whit about the story. But the movie was entertaining from the start. Ben Foster as a wizard was kinda weird, because he usually plays salt of the earth, redneck types. But it was a great summer popcorn flick.

#1125 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Rather than do a huge catch-up post of the hundred or so movies I've seen in the past year and a half, I want to put a plug in for Logan Lucky.  This is Steven Soderbergh's return after a 4 year layoff.  His last movie was Side Effects, a movie where Rooney Mara kills Channing Tatum after lezzing it up with Catherine Zeta-Jones, blames a drug that Jude Law prescribes her... And that's just the first 45 minutes.  Seriously, go read up on it: https://en.wikipedia...cts_(2013_film)

I love Soderbergh.  The man is a brilliant filmmaker.  Logan Lucky feels like him playing it safe, but it's a good kind of safe.  And the performances are great.

There's a bit in a prison where there's a riot.  One of the demands is copies of A Dance With Dragons, Winds of Winter, and A Dream of Spring.  This plays out exactly like you'd think it would.  "I know you're lying, because George RR Martin was supposed to deliver it to his publisher 2 years ago, and so-and-so knows about stuff that happens after Dragons!" 

#1126 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for the head's up as I liked Side Effects a lot. I think Contagion was even better, probably the best virus outbreak movie I've ever seen. I'll definitely check out Logan Lucky.

#1127 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Also, go see "Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri" because that movie is a great emotional rollercoaster. 

#1128 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

Also, go see "Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri" because that movie is a great emotional rollercoaster. 

Yep, it's on my list, but Star Wars has rendered my local multiplex unvisitable during the holiday prestige season the past 2 years...  "Oh, cool, you're showing Moonlight?  Well, I can't go see it here because you have Rogue One on 4 screens and the 2000 hipsters who thought they were being edgy by waiting three weeks to see it has made visiting the theater a hassle."

Yeah, get off my lawn fuckos.

#1129 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

Yep, it's on my list, but Star Wars has rendered my local multiplex unvisitable during the holiday prestige season the past 2 years...  "Oh, cool, you're showing Moonlight?  Well, I can't go see it here because you have Rogue One on 4 screens and the 2000 hipsters who thought they were being edgy by waiting three weeks to see it has made visiting the theater a hassle."

Yeah, get off my lawn fuckos.

1) Open an Alamo Drafthouse

2) There is no step two

3) Profit

Edited by Nightshade, 21 December 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#1130 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

Movie not to see: Star Wars. 

#1131 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Movie to see: Game Night

I have a soft spot for Jason Bateman.  I have a hard spot (iykwim) for Rachel McAdams.  They have amazing chemistry together.

The movie leans hard into the "Jesse Plemons is kinda weird-lookin'" motif, and it pays off very well.

Kyle Chandler should get more roles like this, and I kept hoping he'd mistakenly call JP's character Lance, as a nod to FNL.

Anyway, there's a ton of one-off funny jokes, and also a series of callbacks / running jokes that REALLY pay off. 

If you like laughing, but don't like the crude direction that recent years have taken comedy, this movie will hit all the right buttons for you.

#1132 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

Best movies of 2017 that I saw, that most people would want to see:

1. Get Out

2. Lady Bird

3. Baby Driver

4. The Disaster Artist

5. It

6. Blade Runner 2049

7. Thor: Ragnarok

8. Logan

9. Lego Batman

10. Split

Worst Movies that I saw:

1. Baywatch

2. Justice League

3. Kong: Skull Island

4. The Dark Tower

5. The Great Wall

6. American Assassin

7. xXx: The Return of Xander Cage

8. Life

9. The Belko Experiment

10. The Last Jedi (You have NO idea how much it hurts me to put this here)

#1133 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,960 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

WATCH BLADE RUNNER

It's on BD, buy it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq