Halo 5

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#241 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Deservedly, H5 is the worst-selling mainline title in the series. We can only hope that 343 has learned their lesson this time, right?

For sure, three turds in a row has got to start sending up some red flags somewhere, right?

Guys?

#242 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

Drew, have you played the game?

#243 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 2,997 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Drew, have you played the game?

Clearly not Drewsef.  But what a loaded question.

But I have not played the game, because this game does not appeal to me.

It does not appeal to me because MC has only 3 missions.

It does not appeal to me because it is extremely short.

It does not appeal to me because Cortana is the villain, like a really bad fanfic story.

It does not appeal to me because the MP is not Halo.

I think these are all legitimate reasons for me not buying the game, therefore contributing to the "worst-selling mainline title in the series" statement.

#244 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

Hooters and I have been enjoying the multiplayer ¯\(°_o)/¯

Visual fidelity, aesthetics, and variety leave a lot to be desired, but it's clear that all those pros they've added to their payroll have been allowed to provide input and tweak what actually matters (the gameplay and balance) to a better spot.

I enjoyed most of the first 75% of the campaign, but the last two levels devolved into classic 343 levels (Press X to end Campaign).

#245 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

I actually got a chance to play the retail version a couple weeks ago and I can say that I absolutely hated it. I played the first four missions of campaign, some arena, and a few Warzone matches.

Arena was interesting, but nothing like the Halo that I once loved. Part of the problem, I think, is that the controls are completely fucked... aiming felt sluggish and unwieldy, regardless of the turning speed I used... I didn't notice this in the beta, but I didn't play much of that either.

I couldn't find a button layout that clicked during my session, which is odd, because I have never had that problem with any Halo game before, not even H4.

What a joke, though... visible timers and location beacons on power weapons (are we grade schoolers?), poor spawns, and a host of bland, indistinguishable maps... at least the base gunplay in Halo 4 was strong... this abomination doesn't even have that going for it.

Spartan abilities feel just as out of place as armor abilities did in the previous iterations, although they seem to be even more comical than before somehow. Oddly enough, I didn't have a problem with Clamber, despite how non-Halo it is (RIP skill jumps, is Supa OK?), perhaps because the base movement feels so terrible that every little thing to improve mobility helps.

Don't even get me started on Warzone. Granted, the dude whose account I used sells all of his cards because he doesn't play Warzone, and spends everything on cosmetics, so I was pretty much stuck with the Assault Rifle/Pistol (and later the BR). Certainly didn't help things, but getting killed repeatedly by power weapons across the map was super shitty, and as improved as the Pistol is over it's last few iterations, it can only do so much. Lol @ letting people pay real money to get better weapons, by the way. This mode takes many things I hate about modern video games and wraps them up in one ugly, shit-filled package. A joke of a mode that 343 should be especially ashamed of, seeing as they have all but written off BTB because of it.

Campaign........ I don't know who let Frank keep the reigns here, because it sucks. What the fuck were they thinking? Any potential it could have is ruined by the incredibly distracting story and awful writing. At one point I muted the game because I could feel my brain starting to dribble out my ears.

Steve Downes, it turns out, is an awful voice actor. I thought it was bad in Halo 4, but holy shit. Great voice, awful acting. Other than Fillion, who also felt kind of forced, inflection is flat and you can practically see the bored, uncaring look on the actors faces while they were voicing this tripe. Who can blame them, though? I hope they were compensated well for being forced to slog through this shit.

All in all, avoid this wretched abortion of a "Halo" game of you can. Honestly, at this point, I do not see any hope of this once great series returning to its former glory. The corpse has long been beaten to a pulp, and 343 clearly has no qualms about shitting into the grave. From this point forward, I think all 343 titles should have "Halo" in quotes. While they might share the same name, they are not even remotely related to the original games anymore. Bungie's vision has been cast aside for a comical imitation, one that makes me cringe even at the very mention of it.

Let it die, for the sake of all that is good.

Edited by Drew, 03 December 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#246 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

God.

DAMN.

Drew.

#247 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:09 AM

What a joke, though... visible timers and location beacons on power weapons (are we grade schoolers?), poor spawns, and a host of bland, indistinguishable maps... at least the base gunplay in Halo 4 was strong... this abomination doesn't even have that going for it.

What's wrong with having these? Gluing a stopwatch to your controller does not inherently make you pro, nor does it make the game much more tacti-cool.

#248 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

Sure, but is it really necessary to hold our hands to such a degree?

It used to be about map knowledge, and while maybe you weren't always dead on, you had a pretty good idea of when power weapons would come back up.

With this, in a game already bereft of mechanics requiring the player to think, there's even less to commit to memory. Less emphasis on knowledge and competency as a player in general seems to be a thing that 343 has a serious boner for.

They treat us like we're mentally incapable of remembering anything, even so simple as where the power weapons spawn. It's kind of insulting, don't you think?

#249 Nightshade

Nightshade

↓ I'm with stupid. ↓

• Veteran
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

Sure, but is it really necessary to hold our hands to such a degree?

It used to be about map knowledge, and while maybe you weren't always dead on, you had a pretty good idea of when power weapons would come back up.

With this, in a game already bereft of mechanics requiring the player to think, there's even less to commit to memory. Less emphasis on knowledge and competency as a player in general seems to be a thing that 343 has a serious boner for.

They treat us like we're mentally incapable of remembering anything, even so simple as where the power weapons spawn. It's kind of insulting, don't you think?

Because people, for the most part, are largely mentally incapable of remembering the specific timings while playing the game. That's specifically why people glued stopwatches to their controllers. What makes Halo good is fighting over the power weapons, not going "haha those fuckers didn't have a website up telling them weapon times. Sucks to be them." 

Making something no longer arbitrarily difficult like alerting all players, regardless of skill level or usage of extra-curricular aids isn't inherently a bad thing. It's different, sure, but that doesn't make it bad per se. There's plenty of reasons to be mad at 343i for what they've done to Halo, but this? I don't believe this is one.

#250 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

I never had to tape a stopwatch to my controller to have a good idea of when weapons would spawn. With proper communication between team members it's not hard to keep track of who has the power weapons and the approximate time that they would spawn again.

In the grand scheme of things, it is certainly a minor offense, but that's no reason to give them a free pass for it.

(I'm not sure what makes me the most upset, but I can agree that this issue is not the most pressing in light of my other grievances with the title.)

#251 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Waypoints and timers for power weapons or objectives are not a bad thing. You still have to control the area and fight for the weapon so it's not changing the basic dynamic.

#252 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

Like I said, it's fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but it is something I disagree with nonetheless.

I'm interested in seeing how quickly player population tanks in this one.

Microsoft is being obtuse about providing any real data about the number of copies sold, so I doubt that they'll ever release population information, but it would by mighty interesting.

#253 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

A match I had from this past weekend.

Edited by DualX, 15 December 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#254 JCTucker

JCTucker

• Veteran
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

A match I had from this past weekend.

ok-buddy-o.gif

...  I mean...  That was reminiscent of "sick flag routes" from those shitty Halo 4 maps.

#255 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

Awesome.

#256 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

I can't believe it. They brought back the Halo 1 Magnum AND the Halo 2 BR.

On top of that, they are finally including those other fun playtypes: Griffball and Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKApiIWKXuU

Edited by DualX, 27 February 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#257 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

Too little, too late.

#258 DualX

DualX

Great Job!

• Veteran
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:28 AM

#259 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:44 AM

I saw that, certainly an interesting map but I'm not sure you could really play a serious game on it.

#260 Drew

Drew

Waifus R Us

• 3,937 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Can't believe this is a current generation title, it looks awful.

I know Forge textures have always been lacking, but this is exceptionally terrible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq