Campaign: The Flood and Cortana

Halo 3

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

Wow, I'm really beginning to feel in the minority. Bungie said EPIC battles, how could they not include the flood in those type battles. I always thought the Flood would be released on Earth, either by way of the Gravemind or if they were contained within the Ark and released somehow after it was opened. With these new details it appears that not only will the MC be racing to get inside the Ark before the Covenant, but he'll be fighting to contain the Flood. ONly question is will he have help

#2 vociferous

vociferous
  • Veteran
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

If this new data does reveal that Flood are on Earth, this is huge. I never knew this would happen. A flood infestation on Earth would be apocalyptic. Just think of how quickly they spread through advance military forces (both human and Covenant) on the Halos. Imagine the havok they could wreak on a civilian population of billions. Think 28 Days Later except the zombies can operate weapons and vehicles and know how to fight and survive.

"This is the way the world ends"

It might be a good reason for activating some sort of weapon against the Flood, don't you think? Wouldn't it be ironic if the Chief actually activates the rings? I would laugh.

Edit: Cerious, we give you credit for using intuition to determine that the Flood would be on Earth and while there may have been hints, it's definitely escaped my radar. Only in speculation have I said such things. There are a lot of Covenant, so epic battles for me never were dependant on a "third race."

#3 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

I can see why this is big news Voc. For one, Bungie really hasn't said a word about the Flood, the focus on everything we've seen thus far has been the Brutes, "Brute Sandbox" and their role in this story arc. With all that has been done to bring the brute race to the forefront, I can only wonder what new things we'll get tio see from the flood perspective. Bungie has been airtight on the subject up until this 'leak' I wonder if there is another ViDoc in store for us following the Beta that centers on the Flood?

#4 mattacus

mattacus

I get the sneaking sense that Gamble is NOT a douche.

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:Old Mattacus
  • Steam:oldmattacus

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

I always thought it was assumed that the flood would be earthbound. They have cortana's knowledge and ships. It's inevitable. Too obvious, really, to be a discovery.

#5 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

It might be a good reason for activating some sort of weapon against the Flood, don't you think? Wouldn't it be ironic if the Chief actually activates the rings? I would laugh.

"Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? Last time you asked me: if it were my choice, would I do it? Having considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the ring."

#6 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

"Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? Last time you asked me: if it were my choice, would I do it? Having considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed. There is no choice. We must activate the ring."

One eternal round.

#7 Cerious

Cerious
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

Can we even begin to imagine what a flood infected brute looks like? Or how about a Flood/Drinol beast hybrid?

#8 Va1or

Va1or
  • Veteran
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

I always thought it was assumed that the flood would be earthbound. They have cortana's knowledge and ships. It's inevitable. Too obvious, really, to be a discovery.

I had little doubt the Flood would try to find Earth and invade and infest it, given enough time. The question was, "will they succeed." These sources seem to point to, "yes."

This probably means that Earth is lost and Chief will once again be asked to make the decision. However, this time the circumstances will be entirely different.

#9 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

Favorite line:

"Lost Avionics. Gonna try to hit their carrier. Good luck people."

Go get 'em Marine.

There's carriers. Thats cool.

These lines sound like they're coming from some epic, last ditch desperate battle to save Earth. Hell yes.

Also, with this many aerial combat references, I wonder if the Chief will be flying himself, or if its from a cutscene. Either way, bad ass.

#10 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

Also, with this many aerial combat references, I wonder if the Chief will be flying himself, or if its from a cutscene. Either way, bad ass.

If it's anything like the Banshee "dogfights" in Halo 2, DO NOT WANT.

#11 MoNuckah

MoNuckah

Has a wide stance.

• Veteran
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

The H2 Banshee fights did suck, it seemed like it was just an easy thing for them to throw in when they were jammed for time. I think if the Chief took control of a Broadsword or even a Pelican, and it was done right, in the middle of a giant battle, it could be sweet. I guess we'll see.

#12 GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

I think it's easy to lose sight of what constitutes a spoiler when you're as hardcore a fan as we are. Halo 2 sold over nine million copies, and you can be a lot of those buyers are not so certain about the plot as we think we are. I assumed the Flood would return in Halo 2, but Bungie kept that absolutely secret until after the game was out. It's a major story development.

Likewise, I'd assumed that the Flood would land on Earth in Halo 3. But having that assumption and seeing it confirmed are very different. We'd all assumed that the Ark was on Earth, but seeing that baby open up in the announcement trailer is none the less significant.

And beyond the basic confirmation of the Flood on Earth, we learn something about the circumstances of that outbreak. It could be that the dialog we're seeing is from a sequence when the Flood are breaking out the first time. It reads very similar to the initial outbreak in 343 Guilty Spark. When the story progresses to Voi, we can assume we'll see Flood. That's the definition of a spoiler - we know what's going to happen when we get there. I suspect that's why any reference to Voi was redacted (or was attepted to be); it spoils the setup. I dunno - maybe I'm not jaded enough. But since I'm most interested in Campaign, and what interests me most about Campaign is the story, I think this is huge, especially considering how little we know about the story at this point.

Edited by GhaleonEB, 24 April 2007 - 09:25 AM.

#13 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

Tonight, we dine in Halo!

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

I also think this is a big deal. Earth is infected by flood and chief HAS to detonate rings before jumping in
Spoiler
that is found on Earth, theres no other way = Goosebumps

#14 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

But since I'm most interested in Campaign, and what interests me most about Campaign is the story, I think this is huge, especially considering how little we know about the story at this point.

meh. I'll take a good story over fancy multiplayer any day of the week. But there is a difference between confirmation of what we all assume to be coming and a real twist. We need to set our dramatic standards a little higher than: "I'll be sufficiently surprised and entertained if something I expect to happen indeed happens." How many of us shat ourselves when the flood showed up in Halo1? But was anybody surprised when they appeared in Halo2? A few grandmas in Florida, maybe.

At the end of game one, even if you are not a "hardcore halo fan," you know that Halos are for floods. When the second game was in the works, even though bungie "kept it under wraps," everybody familiar with the first one knew that a new game called Halo was going to feature the flood. The same holds doubly true for number three. There is nothing shocking or spoiling about the knowledge that the flood are going to be in the game, or even on the last battlefield. Now, if Master Chief gets busy with a Flood Chick and makes a hybrid mutant baby at the end of the first level, and you spend the rest of the game playing as Raiden twenty years later, maybe people will soil themselves. It won't necessarily be a good soiling, but it will at least be a surprise. Whereas the mere existence of the flood on our home turf is not.

#15 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

I also think this is a big deal.

Earth is infected by flood and chief HAS to detonate rings before jumping in

Spoiler
that is found on Earth, theres no other way = Goosebumps

Not to be a nerd, but this word you keep using "
Spoiler
"...I do not think it means what you think it means.

#16 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

Not to be a nerd, but this word you keep using "

Spoiler
"...I do not think it means what you think it means.

Its a vacuum cleaner you can buy at Target and it never loses suction??

I know what a dyson sphere is you Meatball. I've read GoO.

SPOILERS BELOWWWWW DOWNA HEEERREEE.

did they not jump in one at the end? to be taken to a world not set by any location(twilight zone anyone)

I was saying that I think it would be nuts if chief HAD to detonate rings and find a portal/hole to the dyson sphere that halsey and everyone else area in. he jumps in, it goes boom.

but how does he get out? how long till he finds everyone else in shield??

Edited by NJ x Falk0r, 24 April 2007 - 09:57 AM.

#17 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

Its a vacuum cleaner you can buy at Target and it never loses suction??
I know what a dyson sphere is you Meatball. I've read GoO.

Are you sure? I don't get the impression that you do...

Zanzibar Remake Beta video

OMG OMG OMG OMG Where did you find that, dude? I have never seen that before! Amazing amazing amazing. Fwing.

#18 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:06 AM

Actually, Dyson Spheres are more than a cool name ripped off a Star Trek: TNG episode for a paper-back book written to capitalize on a video game you happen to like. Check it here or here.

Edit: Damn your speedy snarkiness, Cuse. If only I wasn't being extra thorough, I might have beaten you...

/next time...next time...

Edited by mattacus, 24 April 2007 - 10:07 AM.

#19 NJ Shlice

NJ Shlice

• Veteran
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

Are you sure? I don't get the impression that you do...

Okay I read it twice just incase.

Yup, I still know what one is.

#20 mattacus

mattacus

• Veteran
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

Maybe he meant to say "Earth is infected by flood and chief HAS to detonate rings before jumping in a portal to a
Spoiler
, which portal is found on Earth..."

Edited by mattacus, 24 April 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Halo 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq