1123 replies to this topic

#41 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:14 PM

:wacko:
I got your back, Dual.
Slowly becoming your entertainment dictator.

I hates me some sports games.

#42 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:03 AM

Is there something wrong with me if I'm looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman more than seeing Superman?

#43 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:55 AM

Splinter Cell Film Deviating

Only link to the videogames may be Sam Fisher.

Don't lie. You don't understand the plots of the Splinter Cell games unless you keep a notebook handy and connect the dots while playing. If that's you, more power to you, but the rest of us can probably breathe easy knowing the Splinter Cell movie will share one characteristic with the videogames and books: Sam Fisher.

Author Raymond Benson wrote the Splinter Cell novelization, with its own deviations from the videogames approved by Tom Clancy. Benson talked with The Fairer Sects and doesn't anticipate the film to adapt any of the released videogames. "As far as I know, the screenplay is totally original and not based on any existing game or my book," he says.

Gamers don't like it when Hollywood tampers with their cherished storylines. People flipped when they found out the DOOM film didn't actually involve a portal from Hell.

Benson sympathizes, but from his work with James Bond, says fans need to chill out. "There will always be differences. I certainly experienced this with James Bond. The truly hardcore Bond fans have in their heads their own ideas of what Bond should be," he says. "...the truth is that Bond has become so many different things over the course of fifty years that no one concept of Bond is the "real" thing anymore."

1up

Raymond Benson

#1 It is safe to say that your work with the 007 series has helped you in writing for Splinter Cell. But, what did you do to prepare specifically for this series?

I got the gig because Tom Clancy's publisher is the same firm that published my Bond novels in America. I went to Los Angeles and talked with Clancy's agent and legal people, threw around ideas, and I got the job. It also helped that I was once a heavy game player; in fact, I was a computer game designer for nearly ten years... but since the mid-90s I had left the game industry behind me. It was a learning curve to look at the Splinter Cell game and try to play it! (The first one had been out a while, the second one wasn't out yet.) I struggled with it for a few days to get the hang of the Splinter Cell universe, Sam's character, and what the thing was all about. I also saw a video of a complete walk-thru of the entire game, like a movie. In addition, Ubisoft provided me with their "bible" that was written when they created the game. This contained character sketches of the principles, info on Sam's tools and gadgets, and other useful information. They also provided me with the storylines for the upcoming two games so I wouldn't do the same thing. After that, it was just a question of sitting down and coming up with a scenario that would fit in with the SC universe.

#2 Do you currently have plans to write any more books in this series?

The second one will be out in November 2005. At the moment there are no plans to do more, but you never can tell. The first one was a best-seller. A movie is in the works, so there could be a "novelization" of the film. Too early to say.

#3 One of the most popular characters in the Splinter Cell video games is a female computer tech named Anna Grimsdottir. In your book, there is also a female computer tech who appears to be exactly like "Grim" except her name is Carly St. John. What was the reason for changing this character's name while the names of the other characters (Lambert, Sam, Sarah etc..) remained the same?

That has become a controversial issue and it was unintentional. When I first met with Clancy's people to discuss the series, it was known that one of the field runners dies in the first game (Vernon Wilkes). I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep up with what Ubisoft was doing from game to game with regard to who they planned to kill off or keep alive, so it was agreed that I could create my own support team for the novels--as long as Lambert was still the boss. That's the reason Carly St. John is the tech director instead of Anna. At the time, Clancy's people--as well as me--were unsure how these characters would play out in the course of the games' universe. So it seemed like a good idea at the time. After the first book came out, we all decided that maybe it would be better to try and stick closer to the games' universe. So, in the second book, you'll see that Carly gets into some trouble and Anna Grimsdottir "returns from psych leave." Frances Coen is also in the second book.

It turns out there were other minor discrepancies between the Ubisoft "bible" and what was eventually created for the games. For example, in the "bible," Lambert is slightly younger than Fisher. I believe in the games it's the other way around. I was going by the "bible," so Lambert is younger.

#4 Will Coen be Sam's Field Runner?

Yes.

#5 How would you compare/contrast Sam Fisher to James Bond?

Many of these kinds of super-spies are similar on the surface but that's where it ends. Bond is British, of course, and Fisher is definitely American. Bond is more of a womanizer, whereas Fisher is purposefully celibate. Fisher really tries to remain anonymous in his personal life. Bond does too, but you'd never know it from the way he's portrayed in the films (he always orders the same drink, drives flashy cars, hits on gorgeous women...!). So, really, Fisher and Bond are not really alike in character traits. Where they are similar is the way in which they approach their jobs.

#6 Your book provided Splinter Cell fans with answers to alot of questions as it applies to Sams personal life, such as his marriage to Regan, how she died as well as the specifics on Sarah. Were you told ahead of time what those specifics were to be or did you create this mystery mans past on your own?

All that came from the Ubisoft "bible." I was given free reign, however, to invent Sam's current personal life. I placed him in Towson, Maryland, to be close to D.C. I set out his daily schedule with Krav Maga classes and such. The games are fabulous in terms of challenging scenarios and action, but they don't give you much in terms of Sam as a human being. You won't see him very often in civilian clothes in the games. With a novel, you have to flesh out the character more. I couldn't just write a novel that was "mission after mission after mission." I had to show Sam living a real life-- eating, sleeping, traveling. But his past--with Regan, etc.--was from Ubisoft.

#7 According to the IMDb, your name appears newly added to the list of those writing the upcoming Splinter Cell movie from Paramount Pictures. Can you officially confirm or deny that at this time?

That's news to me! As far as I know, the screenplay is totally original and not based on any existing game or my books.

#8 What's with the "David Michaels" pseudonym?

That was the publishers' doing. In case I don't write any more books after the first two, they can bring in another writer but still retain the "David Michaels" authorship. I think they may have experienced a drop in readership with some of the other Clancy spin-off series when authors were changed, so they're experimenting with a pseudonym. I don't know how it got out so quickly that David Michaels was me, but it did.

#9 How did you approach writing a novel that is based on a game?

When someone plays a game, he or she assumes the identity of the protagonist. In this case, the player identifies, or "becomes" Sam Fisher. Even though we see Fisher on the screen, we control him and therefore feel as though WE are HIM. To accomplish something to that effect in the novel, I wrote all of Sam's scenes in first person. That way, the reader gets inside Sam's head. They know what he's thinking, how he reacts to something, how he analyzes a situation. It seemed to be the best way to capture that You-Are-Sam feeling. Then, the other scenes in the book--the "cut scenes," so to speak--are in third person. These involve the other characters. In discussing this approach with Clancy's people, we all agreed that this would be a good way to go.

#10 Is there anything you'd like to say to the SC fans?

Only that I think it's a great franchise and that Ubisoft does a splendid job with the games. That said, keep in mind that novels and games and even movies that are based on a franchise can't always be the "same." There will always be differences. I certainly experienced this with James Bond. The truly hardcore Bond fans have in their heads their own ideas of what Bond should be... the truth is that Bond has become so many different things over the course of fifty years that no one concept of Bond is the "real" thing anymore. I realize that my Splinter Cell books may have slight differences to the games. I'm pretty sure the upcoming film will have differences as well. What I hope to achieve is to capture the spirit of the games, create a Sam Fisher that we can identify with and like, and provide some decent, fast-reading airport lobby entertainment. :)

A million thanks to Mr. Benson for his time and information.

For those of you who would like to get your copy of "Splinter Cell" autographed, you can meet Mr. Benson at the following events. For a complete listing of upcoming events, click here.

May 31st

7pm at the Northbrook Public Library

1201 Cedar Lane
Northbrook, IL 60062
847-272-6224
Bond lecture and slideshow!

June 11th and 12th

Printer's Row
Booths and Times To Be Announced

#44 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:33 AM

I don't really have a problem with changes to the storyline in this series; Splinter Cell's always been about gameplay first and story second. As long as they model the characters like they act in the games, you could put pretty much any story involving saving the world somehow and it would work out. I'm reading the second book now, and it's pretty good so far. Is the shop in the games at all too, or is it strictly in the books? I don't remember the shop being in the games, but I haven't played any of them for a while.

#45 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:40 PM

The shop exist only in the books. I've never run into their name while playing the games. Thanks for the news, Fallen. I really wish there was a trailer or at least some kind of poster work for the upcoming film.
I got your back, Dual.

#46 RetroShadow

RetroShadow

Your Local Cinematographer and Photographer

• 623 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

Flight 93- based on the 9/11 hijacking
XBL:RetroShadow
AIM:RetroShadow1

#47 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

Dungeon Siege Update Straight From Director Uwe Boll - August 15th 2005

Please note that in this article the answers are as Uwe typed them, hence this is why they are so short.

1. Liotta, is apparently the main bad guy for your film. What does his costume look like?

Dr Boll - It is dark leather

2. Is Dungeon Siege still going to be made in two parts?

Dr Boll - We do not know now

3. What kind of fight sequences shall we see?

Dr Boll - Rough brutal battles combined with martial arts action. The kind that is in HERO.

4. Will we see any hot women in metal underwear?!

Dr Boll - Kristana Loken and Leelee Sobieski are warriors.

5. Will there be a new game based on the film?

Dr Boll - We are working on it.

6. Will we see any cool Dungeons?

Dr Boll - Yes - in CHRYSTWIND HOLD - the evil place.

7. What are the key scenes in this film?

Dr Boll - I can not reveal yet, but there will be many memorable scenes.

8.This film was once described as a cross between Lord of the Rings and Braveheart...how is this film different and unique?

Dr Boll - You will see, after it is finished

9.You had some jokes in House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark, what can we see in Dungeon Siege?

Dr Boll - Matthew Lillard is the great and funny Duke Fallow. Ron Pearlman has a lot of dry humor "HELLBOY" lines.

10. Dr Boll, you have made quite few films now, what do you think your trademark is?

Dr Boll - You tell me.

11. Will we see scantly clad women with swords?

Dr Boll - A few.

12.Why do you use choose to shoot many films in Vancouver?

Dr Boll - Good locations and crew. LABOUR TAX rebates

13. Will there be any characters similar to Conan or Red Sonya?

Dr Boll - Loken as Elora is the TREE WOMAN.

14. How come Will Sanderson appears in many of your films? Is he your Bill Paxton, as in James Cameron uses him for many of his films?

Dr Boll - Yes. He is a good actor and my buddy

15. What do you have to say to all those that believe this will be a bad film?

Dr Boll - Wait and see

16. Will Burt Reynolds have a moustache in this film?

Dr Boll - A full grey beard

17. Will Jason Stratham have a cockney accent?

Dr Boll - He talks normal

18. Will we see any sex scenes in the movie?

Dr Boll - There will be a few love making scenes, yes.

19. What creatures will we see?

Dr Boll - Hussars and Krugs

20. What kind of music will we hear? Are you going to use Heavy Metal or Contemporary?

Dr Boll - Classic Score with big orchestra

21.When shall we see the trailer?

Dr Boll - AFM in November

22. When are we going to see some production photographs?

Dr Boll - Soon

23. Is this film going to be shown in England?

Dr Boll - Absolutely. This movie will be a blockbuster

24. What other games have caught your eye ? What about Splinter Cell? Good idea

Dr Boll - Postal and Metal Gear

25. Does this film bear any resemblance to Legend, because it was a great film and we have not seen a film like it since?

Dr Boll - You are right.

26. What made you choose this particular cast for the movie?

Dr Boll - Everybody fits perfectly

27. Do they get on well?

Dr Boll - we have a great crew and great cast together.

link

Uwe Boll Approached for 'Metal Gear Solid' + more!

Hunter Daniels : In the Name of the King, is that still being planned as a 2 film release?

Dr. Boll: no, we do a movie for theaters, and then we had a longer one for DVD. Like, we have a theater version that is 150 minutes and a 190 minute DVD.

Hunter Daniels : So it is definitely not two parts as you had earlier said?

Dr. Boll No, we saw that it was too long to release as one film in theaters?but this is a good movie. I think that Bloodrayne is a good genre movie. It?s fast it?s bloody it?s gory it moves forward but its not?like?great in a way. Dungeon Siege gets you. Its emotional, the story is good, the characters are good?it really gets you. It?s over 2 ? hours and its exciting and heart breaking.

On Bloodrayne, for me the most important thing was not to do it like Underworld. Where in underworld, Kate Beckinsale?she would never ****, or suck blood out of people, even if she is a vampire, which is a little absurd. Kristanna Loken is sexy, she is dirty, and she kills people, and it is different. A major company would never make that?it is too disturbing. And the budget is 19 million.

(Someone walked up and asked Dr. Boll about Half life)

Dr. Boll Now people are coming to me with metal gear solid. They wrote a script, and Konami basically paid these people to write it. And I hope that Metal Gear Solid will be working.

Hunter Daniels : Do you want to do make Metal Gear Solid?

Dr. Boll: yea, absolutely. And especially with the Doom situation. I think we could do it a lot better?its one of the top five of all time.

Hunter Daniels : Are you shooting Postal next, or Far cry?

Dr. Boll Postal is next. Far cry is next spring because it is a whole?um, like if you shoot in Thailand you cannot shoot in summer. So you either have to shoot in winter or you have to been finished in April. So we moved it to early next year.

link

#48 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Wow, that's sad if Use Boll gets to make the Metal Gear Solid film. A good Japanese director would probably be best for that series (like John Woo or Ang Lee). I'm just glad Microsoft and Bungie didn't allow Boll to get near Halo.

#49 Jironimo

Jironimo

Hunter Master Race

• Admin
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

Wow, that's sad if Use Boll gets to make the Metal Gear Solid film. A good Japanese director would probably be best for that series (like John Woo or Ang Lee). I'm just glad Microsoft and Bungie didn't allow Boll to get near Halo.

John Woo sucks. He's a terrible director.

#50 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:40 PM

Meh, I didn't mind Mission Impossible 2, Broken Arrow, Face/Off, or Hardboiled; he can do action pretty well; even though that's only part of MGS, I think he could pull it off.

#51 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

Clerks 2

#52 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Prince of Persia Movie in the Works?

Speaking to comingsoon.net, producer Jerry Bruckheimer of Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure and Bad Boys fame, has revealed that his company is considering doing a big screen adaptation of Ubisoft?s Prince of Persia series.

Talking about future projects that his company plans to produce, Bruckheimer said: "In February, we start a picture called 'Deja Vu' (..) with Denzel Washington playing the lead and Tony Scott directing(?). Then we have a thing called 'Prince of Persia,' which is a big video game that we're considering doing."

So there you have it, straight from the producer?s mouth. Now, we ask you, who do you think should play the role of the Prince of Persia? Johnny Depp?

From Team Xbox

#53 Syracuse022

Syracuse022

Build My Gallows High, Baby

• Veteran
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

This is really starting to get ridiculous. Back in the 90s, like every game that came out was based on a movie. Now, Hollywood wants to make a movie about every game. WTH>>>> P.S. I'm still gonna go see the Halo movie.

#54 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

I personally think it's cool. I love cheesy/bad movies myself, almost as much as really good movies. I can't wait to see Bloodrayne (I better hurry before it's out of theatres by this weekend, lol), and I can't wait to see Uwe Boll's versions of Dungeon Seige, Postal, and especially Far Cry. I do hope the Halo movie, the Max Payne movie, and the Splinter Cell movie are good though, but I freaking love the Mortal Kombat movies, Street Fighter, and Mario Brothers- and they're all wonderfully terrible.

#55 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

You're helping a true cinimatic visionary... Keep it up, Van. Maybe he will make more quality films for you to enjoy. <_<
I got your back, Dual.

#56 Vanwadilion

Vanwadilion

Rainbow!!

• Veteran
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

lolol, I know, but I'd rather crappy video game movies being made than no video game movies at all. You have to give Boll credit for at least having interst in this industry that we love, even if he is partially destroying it.

#57 Gamble

Gamble
  • Veteran
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

Who is Next at Bat?

The latest Batman villain rumors.
A scooper has advised Moviehole of two actors who might be frontrunners for villain roles in the next Batman film. The report requires one to read between the lines; I have and here's what I've determined.

For the femme fatale role, Moviehole's source claims that "this is the first screen appearance for this character in the Batman films and she has a very close connection with a major character in Nolan's first Batman movie. She will be out for revenge against Bruce Wayne and Gotham in a major way."

The unnamed actress is said to be a SAG and Golden Globe nominee who is currently five months pregnant. "She will be in tip top fighting shape once production begins to roll early next year but not before she throws a few coins in a fountain."

That actress would be Rachel Weisz, a nominee for her role in The Constant Gardener, who is pregnant with the child of Darren Aronofsky, who directed her in The Fountain.

But which character is the scooper referring to? The most likely choice seems Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia, given that "she has a very close connection with a major character" in Batman Begins and is "out for revenge against Bruce Wayne and Gotham."

For the role of The Joker, the big-name actor that Warners and director Christopher Nolan are said to be eyeing "has a major film coming out this summer and it's a sequel to one of his biggest hits. In fact, his performance in the first movie was nominated for an Oscar."

That actor, of course, is Johnny Depp, an oft-mentioned fan fave to play The Joker.

Moviehole's source adds that "rumor is that he might be interested depending on the script, which is being written right now."

From Ign

#58 JCTucker

JCTucker

Likes everyone as a person.

• Veteran
  • 3,006 posts
  • Xbox LIVE:JCTucker
  • PSN:Poor_Judgment

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Damnit, The Joker should be the only villain! And leave out gayass Robin. Kreist.

#59 soapofdurden

soapofdurden

Can use the magnum.

• 257 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

Robin was only gay after Schumacher made him gay. If you've ever read Frank Miller's Batman, Robin (who was a girl at that time in the story, Dick Grayson was dead) was badass.
Gamertag: soapofdurden
soapofdurden@yahoo.com
AIM: soapofdurden101

#60 BRASH

BRASH

Shook Amon Tobin's Hand

• 2,205 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

Downloaded a poor cam of Hostel, and although I'm aware of my weak criticism, believe me when I say the film isn't worth a purchased ticket. Rent the DVD for a private showing. The horror itself is intense, sometimes generates a laugh, but is overall quite short. This is due to the fact that the first 45 minutes of the film is only about sex and sucking weed. Very pitiful to watch. For those wondering how deep the nude goes, think artist nude model photos. Softcore porn basically. The ending was pretty satisfying (main character gets revenge on the bitches that sold him and his friends, including the bastard salad fingers guy). There were things that just didn't seem right either. You know that feeling when you watch a really weird Japanese film and get this depressing "WTF"? Same thing here. The whole film was kinda bewildering and didn't make much emotional sense. Yeah, I know it probably has something to do with the whole torture portion. I didn't get to really experience the entire film because in one of the highlighted torture scenes, the cam didn't always capture the picture due to low light. It would focus in and out and the experience the movie tries to deliver missed me completely. See it once via DVD or Download (preferred) if you're curious, and don't expect much beyond boobs and a few well done gut-squirming scenes. Most of which Retro has already kindly linked us to.
I got your back, Dual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq